Sony Superdisc (Nintendo/Sony collaboration console) REAL!

faak und ghey

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

Ew it's ugly and gray.First time I said gray is ugly considering gray is my favorite color

Insert   Dank   Signature   Here.

Ew it's ugly and gray.First time I said gray is ugly considering gray is my favorite color

the console was never released

Lel it's still ugly

Insert   Dank   Signature   Here.

You need to learn more about gaming history. Nintendo slighted Sony by dumping Sony (embarassing them too) and going with another manufacturer (Phillips) for the snes cd addon (and 2in1) called by Sony at the time the "Play Station" and this insult wound up causing the creation of the PlayStation we all know today..

I take it you may not have seen a Panasonic Gamecube then either ;)

594685cc8f.jpg

My Rigs:

Gaming/CAD/Rendering Rig
Case:
 Corsair Air 240 , CPU: i7-4790K, Mobo: ASUS Gryphon Z97 mATX,  GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970, RAM: G.Skill Sniper 16GB, SSD: SAMSUNG 1TB 840 EVO, Cooling: Corsair H80i PCPP: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/b/f2TH99SFF HTPC
Case:
Silverstone ML06B, CPU: Pentium G3258, Mobo: Gigabyte GA-H97N-WiFi, RAM: G.Skill 4GB, SSD: Kingston SSDNow 120GB PCPP: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/b/JmZ8TW

You need to learn more about gaming history. Nintendo slighted Sony by dumping Sony and going with another manufacturer for the snes cd addon and this insult wound up causing the creation of the playstation.

No, you need to. I;ve been into collecting for nearly 10 years now. I know what I am talking about. YES, they did drop Sony. I know that. But this was the console they were going to sell if they wouldn't have split. So i think YOU are the one who needs to learn.

No, you need to. I;ve been into collecting for nearly 10 years now. I know what I am talking about. YES, they did drop Sony. I know that. But this was the console they were going to sell if they wouldn't have split. So i think YOU are the one who needs to learn.

Are you a troll? That's what I have learned. I am not exactly sure what else I as suppose to learn from your thread.

Because...

You don't make any sense, you think I need to learn because I knew about it for more than 15 years, and unlike you I am not losing my stuff over it. IIRC it was to be called the "Play Station".

Did actually get one, because that would be interesting, and you should lead with that.

Are you a troll? That's what I have learned. I am not exactly sure what else I as suppose to learn from your thread.

Because...

You don't make any sense, you think I need to learn because I knew about it for more than 15 years, and unlike you I am not losing my stuff over it. IIRC it was to be called the "Play Station".

Did actually get one, because that would be interesting, and you should lead with that.

So what? You can mess up the title. That is fine. The Redditor even said it was a Super Disc and HE has it.

So what? You can mess up the title. That is fine. The Redditor even said it was a Super Disc and HE has it.

Good for him? I thought you posted this to share with the community and to have a discussion on it, my bad.

Also IIRC , I have only seen reference that the superdisc was either a working title early in development and/or the name of the technology being used in it. I beleive Sony actually called it the "Play Station" at CES, you can always double check. There are also other versions of this console and I think in my opinion the one you have linked is the nicer looking one.

Since you have been collecting for 10 years and already know all about this, don't have anything to learn, and if you don't want a discussion about it, let me know. You can always throw me a PM to avoid adding any length to your thread.

The console is correct. Nintendo was working with Sony for a CD based add-on SNES. But a mixture of a bad license deal for using CD, where Sony was getting majority of profits, and part control of the add-on and not Nintendo, despite being their own console, and Sony asking too many questions they should not need asked on console development, and rumor that Sony was making their own console, made Nintendo cancel the deal.

Sony lost a lot because of the cancellation from Nintendo, and decided to instead of scrapping everything, they evaluated that they got enough information and knowledge to make their own for most problems, and issues, and attack in making their own. Sony PlayStation 1 was born.

Pictured look like the same console that was previously leaked back in the days of rumors of the SNES CD add-on. As you can guess it, it is obviously a dev console, hence why it isn't an actual add-on to the SNES. Could also be Nintendo wanted to have the door open to release SNES with the disk base add-on included, so that consumers don't need to buy the SNES and spend lots more money for the disk add-on, boosting market share of the CD, pushing game developers to support it.

594685cc8f.jpg

This was sold in Japan actually, if I recall correctly, in limited quantity. It was a GameCube with the ability to play DVDs. The console didn't sale well in Japan. So they stop production very early, and never ported it outside. I don't know why this was the case, but assuming that I remembered correctly, the fact that it was indeed sold in limited quantities in Japan only, the price might have been an issue, or the lack of exclusive games (it didn't have maria game at the console release), made people not interested in the console at release, which connects to the low sales, but that is just an assumption. It's been way too long.

The console is correct. Nintendo was working with Sony for a CD based add-on SNES. But a mixture of a bad license deal for using CD, where Sony was getting majority of profits, and part control of the add-on and not Nintendo, despite being their own console, and Sony asking too many questions they should not need asked on console development, and rumor that Sony was making their own console, made Nintendo cancel the deal.

Sony lost a lot because of the cancellation from Nintendo, and decided to instead of scrapping everything, they evaluated that they got enough information and knowledge to make their own for most problems, and issues, and attack in making their own. Sony PlayStation 1 was born.

Pictured look like the same console that was previously leaked back in the days of rumors of the SNES CD add-on. As you can guess it, it is obviously a dev console, hence why it isn't an actual add-on to the SNES. Could also be Nintendo wanted to have the door open to release SNES with the disk base add-on included, so that consumers don't need to buy the SNES and spend lots more money for the disk add-on, boosting market share of the CD, pushing game developers to support it.

I think part of the reason why Sony didn't go through with this, is because Nintendo was talking to Philips too about a CD based console while they were talking to Sony.

The deal with Philips of course didn't entirely go through, but because of this Philips acquired a few rights, so they were able to use Mario and Zelda characters in a few games for their CD-I

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

what am I looking at there?

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

I think part of the reason why Sony didn't go through with this, is because Nintendo was talking to Philips too about a CD based console while they were talking to Sony.

The deal with Philips of course didn't entirely go through, but because of this Philips acquired a few rights, so they were able to use Mario and Zelda characters in a few games for their CD-I

Ugh, CD-I *shudders*

New to Star Citizen? Look no further!

snip

That looks badass AF

If you want to join a really cool Discord chatroom with some great guys here from LTT and outside this community then PM me!

Ugh, CD-I *shudders*

CD-I.. The birth of YouTube poop..

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Wasn't the Phillips deal after Sony deal, for Nintendo next console? Well regardless.

I do remember that because Nintendo was this juggernaut at the time, every company wanted to screw over badly Nintendo. Sony had never had this problem, because, well, they were Sony, they did everything they needed in house, and had an R&D lab, and everything, somewhat similarly with Microsoft (although, let's face it, every time I hear about them spending billions of dollars in advertisement, I never see a TV ad, like most people, just on rare occasion, so I think the advertisement companies that Microsoft deal with are bringing the company to the cleaners, as we say).

I can see "SuperDisc" on the tray.

This is a cool photo and I've saved it to my machine - if only there were software titles which worked on it. I'd have loved to have owned that console, but, things would have been very different if plans were not cancelled.

I am pretty sure it was Nintendo that reneged on the deal with Sony, so I don't think Sony had much of a choice. I think Nintendo decided not to follow Sega with all the add-ons.

Wasn't the Phillips deal after Sony deal, for Nintendo next console? Well regardless.I do remember that because Nintendo was this juggernaut at the time, every company wanted to screw over badly Nintendo. Sony had never had this problem, because, well, they were Sony, they did everything they needed in house, and had an R&D lab, and everything, somewhat similarly with Microsoft (although, let's face it, every time I hear about them spending billions of dollars in advertisement, I never see a TV ad, like most people, just on rare occasion, so I think the advertisement companies that Microsoft deal with are bringing the company to the cleaners, as we say).

Another IIRC correctly, Sony announced their "Play Station" at CES and Nintendo later at the same CES announced their partnership with Phillips for the SNES addon, essentially blindsiding Sony. From a few gaming documentaries I have seen, this betrayal actually led to Sony creating a console out of spite.

I can see "SuperDisc" on the tray.

This is a cool photo and I've saved it to my machine - if only there were software titles which worked on it. I'd have loved to have owned that console, but, things would have been very different if plans were not cancelled.

SuperDisc was likely on the console as it was showing off and advertising the tech which was called SuperDisc.

I am pretty sure it was Nintendo that reneged on the deal with Sony, so I don't think Sony had much of a choice. I think Nintendo decided not to follow Sega with all the add-ons.

They stopped because they wouldn't make much profit off the game selling (much, if not all, of the profits would go to Sony).

And Nintendo doesn't do add ons? The Satellaview would like to talk to you :P

Another IIRC correctly, Sony announced their "Play Station" at CES and Nintendo later at the same CES announced their partnership with Phillips for the SNES addon, essentially blindsiding Sony. From a few gaming documentaries I have seen, this betrayal actually led to Sony creating a console out of spite.

Yea, that is what I remember as well. And that was because Sony was asking too many questions, as mentioned, and Sony wanted near full profit from game sales.