What is this thing in my ceiling?

Not strictly computer-related, but I was wondering if one of you could help me out a little bit. 

I have this thing in my ceiling and I'm not sure what it is. I think it might be a CO detector, but I'm not sure.

db08d7079e6feac1.JPG

Any help in identifying this would be appreciated. Thanks!

Not strictly computer-related, but I was wondering if one of you could help me out a little bit. 

I have this thing in my ceiling and I'm not sure what it is. I think it might be a CO detector, but I'm not sure.

-PIC-

Any help in identifying this would be appreciated. Thanks!

If you live in an apartment a bunch of things from smoke/CO2 or microphone/speaker for the intercom depends really until you open it up.

NSA listening device

And all the lulz were had that day...

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

My BuildPCPartPicker | CoC

looks like a doorbell

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Well, I can tell you that you are wrong on the CO detector guess, however from my observations you should open it and show us a picture from inside. 

My guesses range from roof antenaes, cell phone booster signal thingy, and a random cover that was used for a potential wire that was ran. 

The Vinyl Decal guy.

Celestial-Uprising  A Work In-Progress

Glory hole..... just stick it in there.

If you are not Spider-Man . It is not recommended to have upside-down sex ...

... Life is a game and the checkpoints are your birthday , you will face challenges where you may not get rewarded afterwords but those are the challenges that help you improve yourself . Always live for tomorrow because you may never know when your game will be over ... I'm totally not going insane in anyway , shape or form ... I just have broken English and an open mind ... 

Might be a speaker, or a detection system. If you open it up the people here could probably be of more help. :)

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

Might be a speaker, or a detection system. If you open it up the people here could probably be of more help. :)

Wouldn't open it up.

What if it's a bomb :o

Wouldn't open it up.

What if it's a bomb :o

All the more fun then. :)

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

All the more fun then. :)

No photo for us then

Possibly an electrical box, for something like an outlet.  If someone had a need for a plug on the ceiling, they might have built it.  By code (building code), you can't seal them.

Okay. I plan to do the following things:

1. Curse at the NSA.

2. Ring my non-existent doorbell and listen to my non-existent intercom.

3. Disarm the thing.

4. Kill it with fire.

5. Open it up.

I'll post pics once I get it open.

So I opened it up and looked it up online. Turns out that it's actually a speaker. For what, exactly? I have a couple ideas. It might be the speaker for my smoke detector, as that's right beside it. I don't know why my smoke detector would need an extra speaker, though. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

What do you guys think it could be connected to?

Pics: Click

And a PDF that I found of the thing.

I expected a spider from the title  :lol:

So I opened it up and looked it up online. Turns out that it's actually a speaker. For what, exactly? I have a couple ideas. It might be the speaker for my smoke detector, as that's right beside it. I don't know why my smoke detector would need an extra speaker, though. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

What do you guys think it could be connected to?

Pics: Click

And a PDF that I found of the thing.

It is loud.  So you can hear it from freakin' outside if a fire were to start.

It is loud.  So you can hear it from freakin' outside if a fire were to start.

I don't think that would be very sensible as my building already has alarm bells that you can hear ringing from 5 city blocks away.

Dear god clean that poor thing, it's like "kill me"

YBRZEww.png

Probably an NSA Mind Control speaker.

Side note: I just realized we have no smoke detectors in our house. (literally, not one single detector). Kind of nice because we don't have to listen to that obnoxious beeping once the battery runs out.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Side note: I just realized we have no smoke detectors in our house. (literally, not one single detector). Kind of nice because we don't have to listen to that obnoxious beeping once the battery runs out.

A friend of mine had a smoke alarm that went off when it detected steam. As in, the stuff that comes from hot water. Making Kraft Dinner would set the sprinklers off.

A friend of mine had a smoke alarm that went off when it detected steam. As in, the stuff that comes from hot water. Making Kraft Dinner would set the sprinklers off.

DAMN. That sounds fairly inconvenient lol

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs