AMD Says Grenada PRO and XT Are Not Rebrands of Hawaii, and They're Right... Sort Of.

I think it would have made more sense around $370 as that is the going rate for 8 GB 290x's it seems, I do expect they are going to charge a little more for it though based on the minor improvements they did. So I guess $400 would have been a better price ($30 less than currently).

That being said you can find 4 GB 290x's for like, $300, so that is really what people should buy.

EDIT: @ Alurit. Actually the 280, based on the Tonga, sells for $200 and beats the 960 (which has the same price at best) in pretty much every benchmark I've seen. The 370 also beats the 750 Ti meaning that AMD has the entire mid range segment under their control, which is likely where most GPU sales happen. So they are winning in the largest market segment.

then I guess the prices in our countries are different. where I live the 960 is 15% cheaper then a 380.

this has a more robust memory controller 

And power power management, so it's some more in depth changes... Dunno how to explain it...

This is a signature.

And power power management, so it's some more in depth changes... Dunno how to explain it...

Its definitely not a rebrand. Thats for sure.

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

then I guess the prices in our countries are different. where I live the 960 is 15% cheaper then a 380.

Yes I've heard that is more commonly the case outside the US, I'm not sure why but Nvidia seems cheaper in a number of countries.

Why do people call Devil Canyon a "refresh", while 390x is a "rebrand"?

Because Haswell Refresh actual had good changes made, like TIM.. Although you can argue that 8GB VRAM is a change, Id agree, seems nice.

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

TLDR: It's an 8GB 290x with a new memory controller and a binned 290x chip that uses less power because it's binned. Is it actually a new chip? Not in my opinion unless you consider G1 cards from Gigabyte to be different than others because they too run binned chips. GG AMD

CPU: Intel i7 4770k w/Noctua NH-D15, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97 Ultra Durable, RAM: Patriot 8Gb 1600Mhz (2x4Gb), GPU: MSI R9 390x Gaming,

SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 1Tb, HDD: Caviar Black 1Tb, Seagate 4Tb Hybrid, Case: Fractal Design Define R4, PSU: Antec Earthwatts 750w 

Phone: LG G2 32Gb Black (Verizon) Laptop: Fujitsu Lifebook E754 w/ 1TB Samsung 840 Evo SSD Vehicle: 2012 Nissan Xterra named Rocky

Why do people call Devil Canyon a "refresh", while 390x is a "rebrand"?

4770k to 4790k does represent the real changes better than 290X to 390X would be my guess

CPU:  Intel i7-4790K      Cooler:  Noctua NH-D14     GPU: ZOTAC GTX 1070 TI MINI     Motherboard:  ASUS Z97 Gryphon     RAM:  32GB G Skill Trident X     

Storage: 2x 512GB Samsung 850 EVO (RAID 0) / 2TB Seagate Barracuda     PSU: 850W EVGA SuperNova G2     Case: Fractal Design Node 804

r9 380 is only a year old too, it's r9 285, a failure from last year.

r7 370 (r9 270x, 7870) and below is tragedy.

I mean when 7870 came out it was golden, such a hit. But rebranding it 2 times is just sad. Even r9 270 wasn't that bad because price dropped. And R9 280 was okay because it had much lower price than 7950. But this time prices increased, which just blows my mind.

they didn't drop a rank because amd capped on a new one called fury

they didn't drop a rank because amd capped on a new one called fury

still stupid and misleading.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Would you want yearly edition labels, like " Radeon 7970 2015" or something?

You have an amazing talent for grasping at straws.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

Would you want yearly edition labels, like " Radeon 7970 2015" or something?

No. 7970 to r9 280x rebrand didn't hurt, they reduced price, it pushed the card to lower tier because r9 290/290x came out.

This time r9 290x went to r9 390x, which is stupid, it should have been r9 380x.

I like how nvidia did rebrand once. 670 became 760 and 680 became 770. With a new 780 on top.

You have an amazing talent for grasping at straws.

Just like amd with their performance gains. 

getty_rm_photo_of_cold_water_on_burnt_ha

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

No. 7970 to r9 280x rebrand didn't hurt, they reduced price, it pushed the card to lower tier because r9 290/290x came out.

This time r9 290x went to r9 390x, which is stupid, it should have been r9 380x.

I like how nvidia did rebrand once. 670 became 760 and 680 became 770. With a new 780 on top.

Meh, just wanting a lower number because it "should be smaller," to you, doesn't matter. Intel, AMD, and Nvidia don't have naming that's any kind of standard, let alone make sense.

TLDR: It's an 8GB 290x with a new memory controller and a binned 290x chip that uses less power because it's binned. Is it actually a new chip? Not in my opinion unless you consider G1 cards from Gigabyte to be different than others because they too run binned chips. GG AMD

No, as AMD said, they redesigned the power delivery micro-architecture. Makes sense it took a year, that is an involved process. 

While I would have loved to have seen a new GPU Arch this is AMD, they don't have the money to create a new architecture every go around. So they made some improvements to the one they had, which was still competitive. Are we butthurt that AMD's old arch is still competing on performance? Is the power difference a big enough stumbling block we are going to poo-poo their competitive performance because of it? That kind of issue has been around for both companies in the past, why is it a deal breaker now? AMD can now put more resources into further future architecture and improvements.

well what it means is that the chip is much more robust now, meaning potentially much better overclocks, and with a more mature process, less power usage at those clocks

Its definitely not a rebrand. Thats for sure.

Wait wait wait, are you actually into these cards and defending them? Because I remember when you said, and I'll quote :D

Its a rebrand with added fancy lights and effects. Hardly interesting to anyone but 12 year olds.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

r9 380 is only a year old too, it's r9 285, a failure from last year.

r7 370 (r9 270x, 7870) and below is tragedy.

I mean when 7870 came out it was golden, such a hit. But rebranding it 2 times is just sad. Even r9 270 wasn't that bad because price dropped. And R9 280 was okay because it had much lower price than 7950. But this time prices increased, which just blows my mind.

Actually Pitcairn has been 7850,7870,8870,270,270x,370,7970m,8970m,m290x.

AMD Ryzen 5900x, Nvidia RTX 3080 (MSI Gaming X-trio), ASrock X570 Extreme4, 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB @ 3200mhz CL16, Corsair MP600 1TB, Intel 660P 1TB, Corsair HX1000, Corsair 680x, Corsair H100i Platinum

All AMD had to do to avoid this outcry was upgrade all the architectures to GCN 1.2. Even if the core counts and memory interface widths remained what they are, this would have been enough. Their architecture is already built to be modular. Planning 2-3 dies of GCN 1.2 with various cuts should have been easy. AMD, honestly, what are people supposed to think?

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Rebrands or not

8GB VRAM is tastier than 4GB VRAM

Doesn't matter because the human eye can't see more than 3GB VRAM anyway.

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Quisque euismod suscipit est, non placerat turpis vestibulum sed. Phasellus et faucibus odio. Donec a nisi at purus porttitor ullamcorper auctor a nibh. Integer id neque a nisi laoreet ultrices id ac augue. Nulla facilisi. Nullam purus elit, dictum quis euismod vitae, mollis non dui. Morbi vehicula neque eu mattis bibendum. Curabitur sed odio tortor. Sed euismod mi in diam volutpat, vitae convallis ipsum mattis. Praesent eleifend faucibus pulvinar. Interdum et malesuada fames ac ante ipsum primis in faucibus. Vestibulum velit nunc, fermentum a libero a, venenatis tempus lectus.

Blame gameworks man.

Corsair 760T White | Asus X99 Deluxe | Intel i7-5930k @ 4.4ghz | Corsair H110 | G.Skill Ripjawz 2400mhz | Gigabyte GTX 970 Windforce G1 Gaming (1584mhz/8000mhz) | Corsair AX 760w | Samsung 850 pro | WD Black 1TB | IceModz Sleeved Cables | IceModz RGB LED pack

The R9 300 Series is not a Rebrand. 

Its a Refresh.

Learn what the word Rebrand means before you go and use it.

Intel Core I7 7820X | Asus Rampage VI | Gigabyte RX 580 XTR | 32GB Crucial Ballistix | NZXT Kraken X62

ADATA XPG 256GB PCIe| Cosmos C700P CM | Lepa MaxPlatinum 1050W

Detecting GTX 700 series user(770 or 780 or 780 ti ?)

MacBook Pro 13" Mid 2012 w/Core i5 3210M and glorious HD 4000 Graphics

No, as AMD said, they redesigned the power delivery micro-architecture. Makes sense it took a year, that is an involved process. 

While I would have loved to have seen a new GPU Arch this is AMD, they don't have the money to create a new architecture every go around. So they made some improvements to the one they had, which was still competitive. Are we butthurt that AMD's old arch is still competing on performance? Is the power difference a big enough stumbling block we are going to poo-poo their competitive performance because of it? That kind of issue has been around for both companies in the past, why is it a deal breaker now? AMD can now put more resources into further future architecture and improvements.

You have missed the point. Power delivery micro-architecture is no different than Evga or MSI making a K|ngP|n, Classified, or Lightning card. All of which have custom power delivery. The deal is that they swapped a memory controller, threw in a binned chip into a 290x 8GB and tada! It's a more expensive 390... Having a higher binned chip that can run at a slightly lower voltage accounts for the slightly lower power consumption. Throw in a few driver tweaks and we have a souped up card from 2013. 

Is it competitive? Yes, and no. Honestly, buying an nvidia card at the same price point would be a better deal given the state of drivers these days. If they drop the price, then it'd be more than good enough to forgive the drivers.

So no, AMD has done nothing, besides swapping a memory controller, that AIB partners don't do with every single card made. This is not something new or ground breaking that they've done its just same ol, same ol.

CPU: Intel i7 4770k w/Noctua NH-D15, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97 Ultra Durable, RAM: Patriot 8Gb 1600Mhz (2x4Gb), GPU: MSI R9 390x Gaming,

SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 1Tb, HDD: Caviar Black 1Tb, Seagate 4Tb Hybrid, Case: Fractal Design Define R4, PSU: Antec Earthwatts 750w 

Phone: LG G2 32Gb Black (Verizon) Laptop: Fujitsu Lifebook E754 w/ 1TB Samsung 840 Evo SSD Vehicle: 2012 Nissan Xterra named Rocky

You have missed the point. Power delivery micro-architecture is no different than Evga or MSI making a K|ngP|n, Classified, or Lightning card. All of which have custom power delivery. The deal is that they swapped a memory controller, threw in a binned chip into a 290x 8GB and tada! It's a more expensive 390... Having a higher binned chip that can run at a slightly lower voltage accounts for the slightly lower power consumption. Throw in a few driver tweaks and we have a souped up card from 2013. 

Is it competitive? Yes, and no. Honestly, buying an nvidia card at the same price point would be a better deal given the state of drivers these days. If they drop the price, then it'd be more than good enough to forgive the drivers.

So no, AMD has done nothing, besides swapping a memory controller, that AIB partners don't do with every single card made. This is not something new or ground breaking that they've done its just same ol, same ol.

I  think you are conflating micro-architecture with VRM, two separate things so far as its been explained to me.

Detecting GTX 700 series user(770 or 780 or 780 ti ?)

GTX 660. Too poor for anything else  :(

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Quisque euismod suscipit est, non placerat turpis vestibulum sed. Phasellus et faucibus odio. Donec a nisi at purus porttitor ullamcorper auctor a nibh. Integer id neque a nisi laoreet ultrices id ac augue. Nulla facilisi. Nullam purus elit, dictum quis euismod vitae, mollis non dui. Morbi vehicula neque eu mattis bibendum. Curabitur sed odio tortor. Sed euismod mi in diam volutpat, vitae convallis ipsum mattis. Praesent eleifend faucibus pulvinar. Interdum et malesuada fames ac ante ipsum primis in faucibus. Vestibulum velit nunc, fermentum a libero a, venenatis tempus lectus.

Well, assuming you never bought any card brand new that was refreshed/rebranded it's not so bad to own one.

For example.

I went from the 7850 (Bought Brand New) to the GTX 770 4 Gb card. (Used)  I have seen a big difference in games. Obviously.

I certainly did not want to go to the 680 though because it's not as good as the 770. The kicker is that I paid no where near retail prices and the card was about 4 months old. That's practically brand new to me...really.  Any card less than 6 months old but NOT brand new is almost better than new because it's been tested and used so it works.  If someone never owned the 290X and say upgraded in 6 months to a used 390X....say for $250 that's a good deal.  So the 390X is not 100% pointless but it is pointless to buy it for $429 brand new is all.