AMD Says Grenada PRO and XT Are Not Rebrands of Hawaii, and They're Right... Sort Of.

That sums it up very niceley. :D

Why the hell did they not use the R9 280(X) chip instead of that 285 BS? :D

well r9 285 is sliiiiiiiiiiiightly more power efficient and is gcn 1.1 (? dunno which one)

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

r9 380 is only a year old too, it's r9 285, a failure from last year.

r7 370 (r9 270x, 7870) and below is tragedy.

I mean when 7870 came out it was golden, such a hit. But rebranding it 2 times is just sad. Even r9 270 wasn't that bad because price dropped. And R9 280 was okay because it had much lower price than 7950. But this time prices increased, which just blows my mind.

The r7 370 is a 7850, NOT 7870.

CPU: Intel I7 4790k @ 4.6Ghz 1.255v | GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 980 Ti | Display: Acer XB270HU bprz | RAM: 16GB (4x4GB) Gskill Ripjaws X 1866MHz | CPU Cooler: H80i | Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 | SSD: Mushkin 120GB + Sandisk 480GB | HDD: WD Blue 1TB | Case: Enthoo Pro |PSU: Seaconic M12II EVO 850w | OS: Windows 10 64-Bit | Mouse: Logitech RGB G502 | Keyboard: Thermaltake Poseidon Z (Brown Switches) | 

Plus the new coolers are lookin bretty gud!

http://www.vrworld.com/2015/06/24/amd-moves-to-justify-radeon-300-series-rebrand/

Especially this one. (Sapphire Nitro)

Dude, that's less of a change than Grenada... All they changed with Devil's Canyon - on the CPU itself - was the clock speed. That's it.

If we're judging how good of a rebrand/refresh it is by what they've done to the cooling, then AMD has done... Well nothing, but folks like Sapphire have done an outstanding job. (See above link)

We should be friends

MacBook Pro 13" Mid 2012 w/Core i5 3210M and glorious HD 4000 Graphics

The r7 370 is a 7850, NOT 7870.

WAT THAT'S EVEN WORSE THAN I THOUGHT. 

AMD PLEASE.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

It's just clock differences. Already have been benchmarks clock to clock and they perform exactly the same. It's also proven to be drivers, some guy managed to fiddle with drivers and got his r9 290x perform better with tessellation on.

Yeah, just found the apples-to-apples comparison. Would like a source to the latter claim though.

FX 6300 @4.8 Ghz - Club 3d R9 280x RoyalQueen @1200 core / 1700 memory - Asus M5A99X Evo R 2.0 - 8 Gb Kingston Hyper X Blu - Seasonic M12II Evo Bronze 620w - 1 Tb WD Blue, 1 Tb Seagate Barracuda - Custom water cooling

Yeah, just found the apples-to-apples comparison. Would like a source to the latter claim though.

http://www.reddit.com/r/hardware/comments/3aetyn/390x_tessellation_is_not_improved_performance/This thread was mostly thrown around. Need to wait for more comparison. But I don't see what else it could be. Since chip is the same.

Spoiler

WAT THAT'S EVEN WORSE THAN I THOUGHT. 

AMD PLEASE.

I KNOW WTF AMD?!?!?! You can get some "last generation" amd low-end gpus that are cheaper and miles more powerful than their "new" cousins.

CPU: Intel I7 4790k @ 4.6Ghz 1.255v | GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 980 Ti | Display: Acer XB270HU bprz | RAM: 16GB (4x4GB) Gskill Ripjaws X 1866MHz | CPU Cooler: H80i | Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 | SSD: Mushkin 120GB + Sandisk 480GB | HDD: WD Blue 1TB | Case: Enthoo Pro |PSU: Seaconic M12II EVO 850w | OS: Windows 10 64-Bit | Mouse: Logitech RGB G502 | Keyboard: Thermaltake Poseidon Z (Brown Switches) | 

http://www.reddit.com/r/hardware/comments/3aetyn/390x_tessellation_is_not_improved_performance/This thread was mostly thrown around. Need to wait for more comparison. But I don't see what else it could be. Since chip is the same.

God damn I hate Reddit's format. An eye-opening read nonetheless. Though I still hold doubts that the 390x is an utter and complete rebrand, since the memory overclocks so much better.

Just like I said earlier, a crappy thing to do no matter which way you look at it from a consumer standpoint. I maintain my objectivity on the matter.

FX 6300 @4.8 Ghz - Club 3d R9 280x RoyalQueen @1200 core / 1700 memory - Asus M5A99X Evo R 2.0 - 8 Gb Kingston Hyper X Blu - Seasonic M12II Evo Bronze 620w - 1 Tb WD Blue, 1 Tb Seagate Barracuda - Custom water cooling

God damn I hate Reddit's format. An eye-opening read nonetheless. Though I still hold doubts that the 390x is an utter and complete rebrand, since the memory overclocks so much better.

Just like I said earlier, a crappy thing to do no matter which way you look at it from a consumer standpoint. I maintain my objectivity on the matter.

Memory is not AMD's thing to improve, it's just better flash, amd doesn't make flash.

Spoiler

Memory is not AMD's thing to improve, it's just better flash, amd doesn't make flash.

It's still the same ol' Hynix module used in the 290x bar Club3D, VisionTek and Powercolor from what I've gathered.

I KNOW WTF AMD?!?!?! You can get some "last generation" amd low-end gpus that are cheaper and miles more powerful than their "new" cousins.

Like that Tahiti 280x, sad that its gone for good now though... but I guess AMD didn't want to have a whole bunch of cards again... They had like 19 card in the 200 series. 

14 cards in the 300 series, 2 of which being OEM cards.

Nvidia only has 5 in the 900 series currently  :lol:

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

well r9 285 is sliiiiiiiiiiiightly more power efficient and is gcn 1.1 (? dunno which one)

285 is GCN 1.2 same as the fury

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

If that took a year to develop you have failed AMD, I am just saying. Shouldn't have tried to say anything.

Memory speed doesn't even depend on them it's just better flash.  :wacko:

No. It heavily depends on the memory controller. You could have flash that can do 3GHz (12GHz effective) and it would be no good if the memory controller would shit itself on anything above 1.5GHz

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

No. It heavily depends on the memory controller. You could have flash that can do 3GHz (12GHz effective) and it would be no good if the memory controller would shit itself on anything above 1.5GHz

Exactly my point.

kay. Good to know. Still meh.

Exactly my point.

Spoiler

well what it means is that the chip is much more robust now, meaning potentially much better overclocks, and with a more mature process, less power usage at those clocks

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Got to agree with that. On another point, was nice to finally have a civilized conversation instead of shitflinging.

well what it means is that the chip is much more robust now, meaning potentially much better overclocks, and with a more mature process, less power usage at those clocks

but it uses more power  :(

Spoiler

but it uses more power  :(

The numbers are all over the place on this card, benchmarks from Guru3D say it uses less, for example. Which of course matches up with what AMD says it should do, use less power while having slightly higher clocks. And although clock for clock performance might be the same the improvements they made do allow higher stock clocks, especially on the memory.

Proof: http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/msi_radeon_r9_390x_gaming_8g_oc_review,8.html

So the card was improved in a number of ways, not the same thing as a rebrand.

The numbers are all over the place on this card, benchmarks from Guru3D say it uses less, for example. Which of course matches up with what AMD says it should do, use less power while having slightly higher clocks. And although clock for clock performance might be the same the improvements they made do allow higher stock clocks, especially on the memory.

Proof: http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/msi_radeon_r9_390x_gaming_8g_oc_review,8.html

So the card was improved in a number of ways, not the same thing as a rebrand.

refresh at best, it's still bad and it should have been cheaper than r9 290x.

Spoiler

I look at this way:

Is it a failure in terms of a generation jump? yes

Are the r9 390/390x bad products in themselves? No, the r9 390x is still a better deal then a 980 in term of price/performance, and the 39 390 is almost as good choice as the 970, 970 might be faster than use less power, but 2 r9 390 is better for 4k multi gpu setup then 2 970.

the 970 might be a bit better, but I saw someone buy a 390 I wouldn't call him an idiot.

and performance wise the 390x and 980 is like a 'K' version of an intel cpu, out of the box they perform similarly, but one is $100 more expensive so you can overclock it

under the 390 however is a disaster.

I think it would have made more sense around $370 as that is the going rate for 8 GB 290x's it seems, I do expect they are going to charge a little more for it though based on the minor improvements they did. So I guess $400 would have been a better price ($30 less than currently).

That being said you can find 4 GB 290x's for like, $300, so that is really what people should buy.

EDIT: @ Alurit. Actually the 280, based on the Tonga, sells for $200 and beats the 960 (which has the same price at best) in pretty much every benchmark I've seen. The 370 also beats the 750 Ti meaning that AMD has the entire mid range segment under their control, which is likely where most GPU sales happen. So they are winning in the largest market segment.

Why do people call Devil Canyon a "refresh", while 390x is a "rebrand"?

Still haswell, no such changes like AMD did. Haswell refresh had a TIM replacement and 0.1 GHz more.

This is a signature.

Still haswell, no such changes like AMD did. Haswell refresh had a TIM replacement and 0.1 GHz more.

well Hawaii -> Grenada is also still GCN1.1. and this has a more robust memory controller and higher clocks. So its the same situation. Its just intel can market it as a refresh, and AMD couldnt exactly, since they had to launch a new generation

It is a rebrand... AMD just swapped memory and has been saving a stack of higher binned chips for this

CPU: Intel i7 4770k w/Noctua NH-D15, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97 Ultra Durable, RAM: Patriot 8Gb 1600Mhz (2x4Gb), GPU: MSI R9 390x Gaming,

SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 1Tb, HDD: Caviar Black 1Tb, Seagate 4Tb Hybrid, Case: Fractal Design Define R4, PSU: Antec Earthwatts 750w 

Phone: LG G2 32Gb Black (Verizon) Laptop: Fujitsu Lifebook E754 w/ 1TB Samsung 840 Evo SSD Vehicle: 2012 Nissan Xterra named Rocky