Do I need anti virus software ?

MrEleven1181
Go to solution Solved by dalekphalm,

Here's a direct link to the Free Version for Windows. Note, it will start downloading as soon as you click on the link:

https://www.malwarebytes.org/mwb-download/

Never had a PC before always been a console guy. My build will be finished this Friday and not sure if I need any anti virus, my PC will only be used for gaming not sure if that makes a difference or not ?

Need? no. Recommended? Highly.

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

Handy to keep around.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

It depends. It can be nice to have if you're not great with PCs. The majority of people use them. 

Personally, I don't because I find them more annoying than useful. Windows Firewall and frequent system scans works better for me. 

Just be careful on the internet.

Never had a PC before always been a console guy. My build will be finished this Friday and not sure if I need any anti virus, my PC will only be used for gaming not sure if that makes a difference or not ?

Rule of thumb is, if you need to ask then you do need it :D

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

It depends. If it is strictly gaming, I'd say no, you don't need it. You may still want it though for peace of mind's sake. I don't use one and I'm fine.

Hi, can you give us some more information?

Please list the complete specs of your system (for curiosity's sake, mostly), as well as what Operating System you're going to be using (Eg: Windows 7, 8.1, etc).

If you're running Windows 8.1, then it has Windows Defender (formerly Microsoft Security Essentials) pre-installed and activated. This is a decent AV, very light on resources, and very unobtrusive (meaning it won't bug you unless something is wrong).

Windows Defender, however, isn't perfect, and it's detection rates are mediocre. I would suggest augmenting it with MalwareBytes Anti-Malware, and just run a custom scan every month or so.

Alternatively, you could go with one of the known good alternatives, such as BitDefender, Kaspersky, NOD32, etc. I would personally stay away from AVG, and AVAST. I used to highly recommend AVAST, it's still a very good AV that has good detection rates and good reviews, but it's become extremely annoying over the years with the amount it bugs you to upgrade or install extra components, etc.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

go to nitnite.com and get malware bites (free) and  security essentials (also free ) 

Are you one of those fellas who goes to a whore house without condoms?....of course you need a anti-virus if you plan on using your PC with any USB sticks/any thing USB, external HDDs, install software of any kind, connect to the internet via wired or wireless methods then yes. You won't need any anti-virus if you leave your PC off and never use it.

You will want to get a proper networking firewall too, any decent anti-virus software provides one.

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

go to nitnite.com and get malware bites (free) and  security essentials (also free ) 

If he's running Windows 8.1, then getting security essentials is entirely pointless and redundant, since Windows 8.1 already comes with it pre-loaded and running (In the form of Windows Defender).

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

i run Chrome + windows defender (on 10) and run malware bytes once a week any more than that and your probably paranoid or going to sketchy websites.

i run Chrome + windows defender (on 10) and run malware bytes once a week any more than that and your probably paranoid or going to sketchy websites.

Fortunately, when Microsoft finally integrated a full AV software package into Windows (Windows Defender win 8.1 version), the need for a stand-alone AV is vastly diminished. Your combo is probably the most suitable config for the average user.

However, people should remember that Windows "Defender" in Windows 7 is not the full AV suite, it's just a spyware/adware scanner. The full suite was originally Microsoft Security Essentials, but for some dumb ass reason, Microsoft decided to change the name of MSE to an existing product, just to add to end-user confusion :P

I don't use them. Only had one redirect virus. So no, you don't need them if you are careful. Otherwise to be safe, yes.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/37R3Q7

That's my build it will be strictly for gaming only, I always have my iPad at my side for browsing.

Basically probably only going to be using steam.

If you're not downloading suspicious stuff on your PC (pr0n, minecraft mods, etc.) you should be ok with Windows Defender and the free version of Malwarebytes. However, it's not the most secure solution. I would recommend a free antivirus suite such as Avast instead of Windows Defender. Occasional malwarebytes scans are always a good thing tho.

Very nice build btw

CPU: AMD FX-6300 4GHz @ 1.3 volts | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | RAM: 8GB DDR3

Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A-DS3P | GPU: EVGA GTX 960 SSC | SSD: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO

HDD: 1TB WD Caviar Green | Case: Fractal Design Core 2500 | OS: Windows 10 Home

Fortunately, when Microsoft finally integrated a full AV software package into Windows (Windows Defender win 8.1 version), the need for a stand-alone AV is vastly diminished. Your combo is probably the most suitable config for the average user.

However, people should remember that Windows "Defender" in Windows 7 is not the full AV suite, it's just a spyware/adware scanner. The full suite was originally Microsoft Security Essentials, but for some dumb ass reason, Microsoft decided to change the name of MSE to an existing product, just to add to end-user confusion :P

oh well lol xD

and if your the mom that only checks her email. Malware bytes isn't even needed at all either

chrome is pretty good at catching things as well.

oh well lol xD

and if your the mom that only checks her email. Malware bytes isn't even needed at all either

chrome is pretty good at catching things as well.

I would say for mom checking email, as long as her spam filters are enabled, then Windows Defender/MSE is all she'd need.

Teaching them to not open sketchy emails, is of course, the best defense, but in 2015, you can get a virus/malware anywhere, even if you practice 100% safe browsing, so a basic form of AV should always be used.

I would say for mom checking email, as long as her spam filters are enabled, then Windows Defender/MSE is all she'd need.

Teaching them to not open sketchy emails, is of course, the best defense, but in 2015, you can get a virus/malware anywhere, even if you practice 100% safe browsing, so a basic form of AV should always be used.

yea and gmail for now usally auto blocks them

yea and gmail for now usally auto blocks them

It's true, I basically don't ever see spam in my Gmail inbox. Only stuff I've legit signed up for. I used to use Hotmail, but that email address was plagued with spam for the longest time, but it was also super old, and I got it when I was a kid, so I'm sure my address got linked all over the place.

I think Outlook Email is now a lot better with their spam filters, but I couldn't say for certain.

If you're new to pc, then it is very recommended.

Yea so I guess I'm going to need some antivirus protection. So since I'll be running windows 8.1 the windows defender and mal warebytes will be good enough ? And just do a system scan once a month ?

Yea so I guess I'm going to need some antivirus protection. So since I'll be running windows 8.1 the windows defender and mal warebytes will be good enough ? And just do a system scan once a month ?

Yes that should be sufficient, especially if you're primarily just using Steam/Gaming.

Ok great so I'll already have windows defender can someone please post a link malware bytes just in case I download something I'm not ment to lol

Here's a direct link to the Free Version for Windows. Note, it will start downloading as soon as you click on the link:

https://www.malwarebytes.org/mwb-download/