Radeon Fury X voltage locked ?

zMeul

the problem quite a few people have is that he didn't include information that changes the sources point a lot.

SNIP...

Zmeul posted

he is portraying it as AMD locked voltage control when it is simply overclocking programs haven't been updated yet which is a common occurrence

if it was worded differently and didn't jump to the conclusion that AMD locked it then people wouldn't have freaked out.

Again that is the difference between his personal opinion (which I might add was clearly presented as personal opinion) and a fact as presented by the source. He did not claim his opinions to be that of the source, nor did he present his opinions as facts. 

begs the question, what AMD had in mind when they advertised the Fury X as an overclocker's "dream"  :ph34r:

here's one other wild thought: AMD pushed the clocks to the limit to squeeze as much performance as they could from it, and this is why they locked it down

I don't know how anyone can confuse this with what the source has claimed. It is clearly personal opinion.

If you don't like his opinions then state you don't agree and why, there is no need to call the source BS or claim that he is misrepresenting the source when he clearly isn't.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Yes, but is counter-intuitive given how they are supposedly marketing this as an overclocking beast...

Maybe there's plenty of leeway? my HD 7990 is stable at 1125 vddc vs 1200 out of the box.

Everything points ou to massive unstability of the HBM memory right now, I hope it will not be a fiasco... I really hope it will not

New technology, it's bound to have issues. I mean SSDs used to have a bad rep for durability.

here's one other wild thought: AMD pushed the clocks to the limit to squeeze as much performance as they could from it, and this is why they locked it down

if this was true why would amd outright say the fury x is an overclockers dream

don't be ignorant lol

Abigail: Intel Core i7-4790k @ 4.5GHz 1.170v / EVGA Nvidia GeForce GTX 980 Ti Classified  / ASRock Z97 Extreme6 / Corsair H110i GT / 4x4Gb G.Skill Ares 1866MHz @ CAS9 / Samsung 840 EVO 250Gb SSD / Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200RPM / NZXT H440 Blue / EVGA SuperNOVA 750w G2

Peripherals: BenQ XL2411z 24" 144hz 1080p / ASUS VG248QE 24" 144Hz 1080p / Corsair Vengeance K70 RGB / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD650 / Schiit Audio Modi 2 / Magni 2 / Blue Yeti Blackout

Could have titled the thread "Fury X voltage cannot be changed yet" and avoided thread derailing. It's a perfectly valid point to criticize AMD for, first they announce "Fury X is a great overclocker" and they still haven't enabled voltage control.

FWIW, Hawaii chips voltage was stuck at launch too.

And prior to that, my TF3 7950's voltage didn't play with 9 out of 10 3rd party tools at launch until updates were pushed.

Then it went from this:

2a6v6v9.jpg

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/4107388

to this:

mrv9lx.jpg

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/4108168

This is LTT. One cannot force "style over substance" values & agenda on people that actually aren't afraid to pop the lid off their electronic devices, which happens to be the most common denominator of this community. Rather than take shots at this community in every post, why not seek out like-minded individuals elsewhere?

AMD #LockGate?

just jokes. pls no attackerino.

it bends if you carry it in your back pocket.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

As you said, its a wild thought ..because some chip would handle higher clock than others.. And that would mean that AMD's chip are still running at a lower clock speed than NVidia ( even if clock speed is far from meaning anything when comparing both companies products) and being locked might just be a Mather of time before they release an update granting users to tweak whatever they want. In the end you gotta deliver what the masses expect from you.

Why 7 pages of guessing on a unreleased card?

Next topic: AMD Fury X only beta drivers available?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

I suspect that might be the case actually,even long after the launch.

The last stable driver from AMD was released 12/9/2014 (December the 9th). Over half a year ago.

The rest have just been a bunch of beta drivers.

The last stable driver from AMD was released 12/9/2014 (December the 9th). Over half a year ago.

But that was the objective of my post - to state the obvious :)

"Stable" is used loosely here - just because a driver is listed as WHQL doesn't mean it's actually stable.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

"Stable" is used loosely here - just because a driver is listed as WHQL doesn't mean it's actually stable.

That's another topic - if you go that path people will find out the actual value of such certification.

It's just more sand to people's eyes.

Well in software releases are usually categorized as either "stable" or "beta". In this case AMD has not released anything but beta drivers for over half a year. So "stable" in my post refers to a non-beta driver.

I don't think anyone expects even the stable drivers to be flawless in terms of stability.