Only 1 percent of “up to 76Mbps“ customers actually get 76Mbps from UK ISPs

marldorthegreat

VM have always been spot on for me in the UK, always get my advertised speed.

im going to virgin media in just less than 2 months :D 100 down 6 up   -_- cant believe they changed it from 10 up, currently on 80 down 20 up but as i say bt are the cons of all cons.

whats your latency like? i currently get around 13-14ms to uk servers and dont want to be seeing higher, infact i want around 8ms :P.

Gpu: MSI 4G GTX 970 | Cpu: i5 4690k @4.6Ghz 1.23v | Cpu Cooler: Cryorig r1 ultimate | Ram: 1600mhz 2x8Gb corsair vengeance | Storage: sandisk ultra ii 128gb (os) 1TB WD Green | Psu: evga supernova g1 650watt | Case: fractal define s windowed |

if you mean thats including phoneline its not too bad, but if its £35 just for the internet thats bad.

Yeah it includes all our house phone calls which I remember being a very nice package though I don't remember the details.

I was paying for a 76Mb service from TalkTalk for over 2 years (moved and now have Virgin 152Mb while I await local gigabit provider to reach me soon˜).

The fastest I saw was 60Mb (multiple torrents) with 40-55 being the normal kind of speed I'd see in the second year, in the first year it was very unreliable having an engineer out 3 times to work on my complains with speeds usually around 15-30Mb when it worked.

FWIW, when I moved I was going to keep TalkTalk but they took 3 weeks to not provide me with either phone or interest service having informed me on install day that there's no fibre for my property, so I cancelled and went to Virgin, 4 weeks and 4-5 phone calls later with TalkTalk they still hadn't cancelled the service (which, as of the last check over a month ago still hadn't been provided), so I've given up trying to cancel and just ignore they're growing bills.

Poor(ish) service for two years then perpetual ignorance about cancellation.

Virgin's been 'okay' so far with occasional drops to 60Mb down but the max 12Mb upload is hugely annoying especially when the bandwidth caps are taken into account and hosting 'popular' torrents for friends.

CPU: FX 6300 @ stock Mobo: Gigabyte 990FX UD5 v3.0 GPU: 1 x R9 290 4GB RAM: 24GB DDR3 1600 SSD: Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB HDD: 1 x 1TB & 1 x 500GB PSU: BeQuiet PowerZone 1000W Case: Coolermaster Elite 370 (upside down due to lack of stick thermal pads for memory heatsinks) CPU Cooler: Thermalright Ultra Extreme 120 GPU Coolers: Thermalright HR03-GT Fans: 5 x Akasa Apache Blacks, 1 x Corsair 120mm SP HP (GPU) & 1 x Noctua 92mm
Most of this was from mining rig, hence the scewy specs (especially PSU)

actually fttc is generally closer to the persons home than fttn.

Yes but not by much 300m vs 1000m with the average being actually 400m with FTTN your still getting shitty copper for the last little bit which makes all the difference.

im going to virgin media in just less than 2 months :D 100 down 6 up   -_- cant believe they changed it from 10 up, currently on 80 down 20 up but as i say bt are the cons of all cons.

whats your latency like? i currently get around 13-14ms to uk servers and dont want to be seeing higher, infact i want around 8ms :P.

I've never had problems with them.

4449217645.png

12600k | MSI MEG S280 | SSUPD Meshilicious | Asus ROG STRIX Z690-I | Crucial 16GB 4800MHz CL38 | MSI Gaming 980Ti | CM V850 SFX | WD SN850 1TB, WD SN550 1TB 
Pi 4TB NAS | Asus VG27AQ, Asus PB278Q | Logitech G Pro X Superlight | Glorious G-HXL-STEALTH | Keychron K4 V2 | Sennheiser HD 599 w/ Fiio E10

I've never had problems with them.

4449217645.png

niceeee, my girlfriends auntie lives over the road, i tested her 100mbps package from vm wired and i only got 90mbps for some reason but it was around 6pm, i still got around 9ms ping but pinging bbc.co.uk give me around the same as i get here on bt, im not gonna complain aslong as its not higher than what i have now. and yeah they need to stop being tight with the upload speeds, they know damn well they can give higher considering you can get 20mbps upload on fibre with crappy copper on the end.

Gpu: MSI 4G GTX 970 | Cpu: i5 4690k @4.6Ghz 1.23v | Cpu Cooler: Cryorig r1 ultimate | Ram: 1600mhz 2x8Gb corsair vengeance | Storage: sandisk ultra ii 128gb (os) 1TB WD Green | Psu: evga supernova g1 650watt | Case: fractal define s windowed |

I get 61 MB's download and 12 MB's upload. So im not far off tbh. I can remember when internet first came out and  I was playing Counter Strike beta 3 "the very first one" on a 56k modem. Speeds have changed a lot over the years LOL. This is with fibre Optic and not cable.  

screw you ;) my dads is less than 100 ft away and by using an unlocked modem to see what he can actually get made me sad (around 125 down and around 35 up).

4449447604.png

Feels good man :^)

We used to for the first few months, but now it's a very consistent 37mbps. Not terrible, but half what we're paying for.

Have TWC. Paying for 50/5.

Getting 56/5.7

Ping 16ms

Ok TWC, I see what you are playing at.

Normally its in the low 40's. Don't know why its so good right now. Maybe they changed something, haven't check in while actually.

Project Cobalt: 

CPU: AMD FX 8370 Motherboard:

Asus M5A97 R2.0

RAM: G.Skill Ares 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 2133 GPU:

Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming Case: NZXT H440 (Blue)

Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 256GB +  2x 1TB WD Cavier Blue

PSU: Corsair 750G2 

CPU Cooler: Swiftech H220X

Keyboard: Model M + a lot of others 

Mouse: Logitech G502

Vintage Gaming PC: AMD Athlon T-Bird 800Mhz, Gainward nVidia Ti200 128MB, 512MB Crucial RAM DDR, Compaq ASPEN 2 OEM Board, Soundblaster Live! 5.1, Windows 98SE

Annoyingly, because I live on a private road, we'd have to pay Virgin to install FTTC, but we'd want the rest of the residents on the road to pay as well (because it's a shared resource and would involve work on the shared road, if they didn't pay we'd shoulder the cost while everyone else got a free upgrade) and they're all too old to care about Internet speed.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO

Kiwi here. $280 per month for a 500gb data cap, Advertised speeds are 10 down 5 up but most of the time it's below 4 down 1 up. 100ms ping to local servers. About 500ms ping to USA servers. And they are the only isp in our area :(

Here in Arizona I pay for 50 mbps and get 75 mbps on Cox

CPU: Intel 5930K - GPU: EVGA Nvidia GTX 980Ti SSCMotherboard: Asus X-99 PRO/USB 3.1 - RAM: 32GB HyperX Savage @ 2800mhz CL14  Case: Phtanteks Eclipse P400 Tempered Glass - Cooling: Corsair H100i V2 / Fractal Design Venturi Fans Storage: PNY XLR8 120 GB SSD (OS) + Seagate 2TB HDD (Games)

Jesus Christ lime, it should be illegal to have to pay that much for such low speeds, lowest Internet speed I remember having was on Sky adsl at one point our line was broken and we had 0.5mbps, it was so bad I couldnt play my Xbox much.

I used to get around the same as you cooky on speedtest but for some reason it hardly hits 70mbps anymore even though I'm still connected at full speed. You don't understand how glad I am that G.inp has been released, I no longer get interleave where the dslam is giving me higher latency because of a few line errors. Infact I hardly get any line errors at all now.

We (my family) pay for 14mbps down/1mbps up (best we can get), we actually get it consistently which is nice.. but as it's such a low bandwidth I'd hope we'd get it :P

One thing I feel, but have no documentary evidence of and may be coloured by suspicion is that my internet is faster shortly after the initial installation than it is 6 months later. I couldn't get fibre optic where I live, so I have a 16mbps connection, and at first it was sitting close to that, mostly around 15, but now I am lucky if I get 10. It also disconnects more often and feels more sluggish during peak hours than it did when I first got it 9 or so months ago.

One thing I feel, but have no documentary evidence of and may be coloured by suspicion is that my internet is faster shortly after the initial installation than it is 6 months later. I couldn't get fibre optic where I live, so I have a 16mbps connection, and at first it was sitting close to that, mostly around 15, but now I am lucky if I get 10. It also disconnects more often and feels more sluggish during peak hours than it did when I first got it 9 or so months ago.

Hey man that needs to be checked out as it could be a line fault, it happened to me a few years ago and my speed kept dropping and dropping til it was half a Meg.

Hey man that needs to be checked out as it could be a line fault, it happened to me a few years ago and my speed kept dropping and dropping til it was half a Meg.

Funny you should say that, need to phone BT today because the internet is totally gone. Think the router is knackered, the landline still works fine, though my dad told me it could still be failing before reaching the router. Not sure.

And I am here with 5mps lol 

IntelCorei54670k,Maximus VI Formula,Swift tech H220, 16gigs Corsair Dominator platinums, Asus DCUII GTX 780,1x256 840 evo, 1x 2TB Segate barracuda, Corsair AX 860, 

3 X Noctua NF-F12, 2x Noctua NF A-14, Ducky Shine 3 Blue Leds Blue switches, Razer Death Adder 2012, Corsair vengence 1400  

And to think this is what we'll soon be getting in Australia...

Funny you should say that, need to phone BT today because the internet is totally gone. Think the router is knackered, the landline still works fine, though my dad told me it could still be failing before reaching the router. Not sure.

if the landline is fine but no internet seems to me like its the router, bt will be able to check your line for you anyway, all the best mate.

We can't get Fibre Broadband at our property, despite the cabinets on the next street having been upgraded to Fibre, ours haven't and it sucks, having said that though we were advertised 15/2 and we get 17/2.5, so we get a bit more than they told us we would get. Our cabinet should be getting upgraded within the next year though, so I might spring for FTTC when it gets here, our cabinet is only 20 meters away and the copper here is really high quality so we should get at least 70 when Fibre is brought here.

I've been really happy with Plusnet though, great customer service in my experience, and the price isn't bad either, about £27.50 for unlimited internet and free any time calls.

I average about 400GB per month of usage with me and our lass, and when FTTC gets here it'll probably double that.

CPU: Core i5 2500K @ 4.5GHz | MB: Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX @ 1866MHz | GPU: XFX DD R9 390 | Case: Fractal Design Define S | Storage: 500GB Samsung 850 EVO + WD Caviar Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM650x | Soundcard: Creative Soundblaster X-Fi Titanium
Click here to help feed our lasses Pokemon

We can't get Fibre Broadband at our property, despite the cabinets on the next street having been upgraded to Fibre, ours haven't and it sucks, having said that though we were advertised 15/2 and we get 17/2.5, so we get a bit more than they told us we would get. Our cabinet should be getting upgraded within the next year though, so I might spring for FTTC when it gets here, our cabinet is only 20 meters away and the copper here is really high quality so we should get at least 70 when Fibre is brought here.

I've been really happy with Plusnet though, great customer service in my experience, and the price isn't bad either, about £27.50 for unlimited internet and free any time calls.

I average about 400GB per month of usage with me and our lass, and when FTTC gets here it'll probably double that.

thats pretty good for adsl, when  i had that crap i got 3mbps at best and my upload was 0.4mbps, i live in leeds though so exchanges  are all over the god damn place, my dad lives in a much smaller seaside town and he got 12mbps on adsl and can easily get over 80mbps on fttc his lines that short.

when i checked i think it was 125mbps down and 35 up his line can actually get.

Waiting for gfast 500mbp/s for BT commercial areas by around 2020, cant wait