Only 1 percent of “up to 76Mbps“ customers actually get 76Mbps from UK ISPs

marldorthegreat

thats pretty good for adsl, when  i had that crap i got 3mbps at best and my upload was 0.4mbps, i live in leeds though so exchanges  are all over the god damn place, my dad lives in a much smaller seaside town and he got 12mbps on adsl and can easily get over 80mbps on fttc his lines that short.

when i checked i think it was 125mbps down and 35 up his line can actually get.

Yeah I lived just outside Sheffield up until just over 2 years ago, and there my mum only got 2.5/0.7 and the cabinet was right outside the house about 10 meters away at that, now I'm in Penzance I get the speed I mentioned above, and the ping is really low too, around sub 30ms which for ADSL2 is pretty damn brilliant.

We're also really close to the main Fibre cables that comes from the US, so any traffic coming from the US is really fast and the speed we get from speedtest is bang on the speed we get from actual downloads.

But still, I want that Fibre, I'd love the speeds your dad gets, that must be awesome to use, but hell, even 50Mb/s would be great, I could download a game in just over an hour instead of the 3+ it takes now.

I'm surprised that Which didn't take the time to point out that the reason that Virgin do so well with the percentage of people who can get 76Mb/s Fibre from them is because hardly anyone can get Fibre from them in the first place, and low avaiability to users equals a higher overall speed distribution.

CPU: Core i5 2500K @ 4.5GHz | MB: Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX @ 1866MHz | GPU: XFX DD R9 390 | Case: Fractal Design Define S | Storage: 500GB Samsung 850 EVO + WD Caviar Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM650x | Soundcard: Creative Soundblaster X-Fi Titanium
Click here to help feed our lasses Pokemon

Waiting for gfast 500mbp/s for BT commercial areas by around 2020, cant wait

screw bt, theyre the biggest cons in the country, charge you more than they say they will be, thats why we are off to virgin media, faster, more reliable and dont con you.

have you seen how much they charge for their 330mbps fttod packages? more than google fibre costs in the us.

Gpu: MSI 4G GTX 970 | Cpu: i5 4690k @4.6Ghz 1.23v | Cpu Cooler: Cryorig r1 ultimate | Ram: 1600mhz 2x8Gb corsair vengeance | Storage: sandisk ultra ii 128gb (os) 1TB WD Green | Psu: evga supernova g1 650watt | Case: fractal define s windowed |

Yeah I lived just outside Sheffield up until just over 2 years ago, and there my mum only got 2.5/0.7 and the cabinet was right outside the house about 10 meters away at that, now I'm in Penzance I get the speed I mentioned above, and the ping is really low too, around sub 30ms which for ADSL2 is pretty damn brilliant.

We're also really close to the main Fibre cables that comes from the US, so any traffic coming from the US is really fast and the speed we get from speedtest is bang on the speed we get from actual downloads.

But still, I want that Fibre, I'd love the speeds your dad gets, that must be awesome to use, but hell, even 50Mb/s would be great, I could download a game in just over an hour instead of the 3+ it takes now.

I'm surprised that Which didn't take the time to point out that the reason that Virgin do so well with the percentage of people who can get 76Mb/s Fibre from them is because hardly anyone can get Fibre from them in the first place, and low avaiability to users equals a higher overall speed distribution.

hes only on 40/10 atm, the max package he can get is 80/20 because sky dont do packages higher although his line supports like 125 due to being less than 100 foot from the cabinet, he cant get virgin media either or he said he would be with them. ive noticed everyone down south has generally better ping than us up north due to london being the general route of traffic.

Gpu: MSI 4G GTX 970 | Cpu: i5 4690k @4.6Ghz 1.23v | Cpu Cooler: Cryorig r1 ultimate | Ram: 1600mhz 2x8Gb corsair vengeance | Storage: sandisk ultra ii 128gb (os) 1TB WD Green | Psu: evga supernova g1 650watt | Case: fractal define s windowed |

hes only on 40/10 atm, the max package he can get is 80/20 because sky dont do packages higher although his line supports like 125 due to being less than 100 foot from the cabinet, he cant get virgin media either or he said he would be with them. ive noticed everyone down south has generally better ping than us up north due to london being the general route of traffic.

Still more than twice as fast as what we can currently get, but Sky absolutely sucks in my experience, and I find it ridiculous that they don't offer faster than 80Mb/s, but then again, they couldn't be bothered to send us a replacement router after my mums got fried in a lightning strike, so I'm not surprised that they're too stingy to offer anything better.

The ping is definitely better down here, my mums place ping times are like 300ms, so playing online multiplayer was like pulling teeth.

She was awful to live with cause she used to torrent all day every day, and that meant that the ping times went to 3 seconds, yeah, 3 freaking seconds, and the download speed went down to 1KB/s and it made using the internet a horror story of epic proportions :(

CPU: Core i5 2500K @ 4.5GHz | MB: Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX @ 1866MHz | GPU: XFX DD R9 390 | Case: Fractal Design Define S | Storage: 500GB Samsung 850 EVO + WD Caviar Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM650x | Soundcard: Creative Soundblaster X-Fi Titanium
Click here to help feed our lasses Pokemon

Still more than twice as fast as what we can currently get, but Sky absolutely sucks in my experience, and I find it ridiculous that they don't offer faster than 80Mb/s, but then again, they couldn't be bothered to send us a replacement router after my mums got fried in a lightning strike, so I'm not surprised that they're too stingy to offer anything better.

The ping is definitely better down here, my mums place ping times are like 300ms, so playing online multiplayer was like pulling teeth.

She was awful to live with cause she used to torrent all day every day, and that meant that the ping times went to 3 seconds, yeah, 3 freaking seconds, and the download speed went down to 1KB/s and it made using the internet a horror story of epic proportions :(

i feel your pain bro, although my mums sky fibre is fine now and reliable, when she first got it, due to that many people signing up we had congestion every night for 3 months from 6-12pm making the internet drop to nothing because they didnt make the exchange capacity enough to handle everyone on at the same time.

Virgin is only going to be available to 66% of the UK after they expand the network, BT will have 95% FTTC coverage by 2017.

FTTC is terrible as is DOCSIS, the end game for BT will be FTTP if your willing to pay, Virgin Media however has quite bad back haul in my opinion and some weird traffic shaping.

Basically Virgin media is aiming for 66% coverage with cable that in its current form will probably max out at 300mbit/s until 3.1 hits.

BT is putting fiber about 100m from 66% of houses with a speed of around 500mbit/s by 2020, and if 500 isnt enough you can pay a few hundred to get FTTP and then it's a case of what they're willing to sell to you 10gbit/s is easily doable.

This is why you use virgin media i get max speeds 99% of the time

This is why you use virgin media i get max speeds 99% of the time

It all just depends on the area you live in tbh, I get max speeds from my BT infinity 2 plan, however next year at uni I plan to use virgin because a few people around that area I know who are on BT get fcked pretty hard when it comes to internet speeds, although I also know people who are on virgin and get worse then they do in other areas. 

I would just go for what's good for most other people in your local area

Or live on campus at uni and get around 100Mb/s down and 100Mb/s up 24/7  :rolleyes:

i5 4690k | GTX 980Ti G1 Gaming | 16GB RAM | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 | NZXT Kraken X61 | 850 EVO 250GB x2  | 1TB 850 Evo NZXT Noctis 450 | EVGA 750W 80+ Gold

Ducky Shine 3 TKL (Browns) | LG 34UC87C | Logitech MX Master ATH-M50x's + DT990 Pro's 

My village has recently just been able to get fibre optic broadband - I can get a stunning 16mb/s download speeds on it. So yeah, I wouldn't even be able to get the advertised 36mb/s one

Quietly crafting hamsters to do my bidding

I'm Romanian. Romanians get 1000/200 Mbps REAL speed at monthly $13.75 in urban area. We are welcoming if you wanna change your location! :))

FX8320 4.2Ghz@1.280v& 4.5 Ghz Turbo@1.312v Thermalright HR-02/w TY-147 140MM+Arctic Cooling 120MMVRM cooled by AMD Stock Cooler Fan 70MM 0-7200 RPM PWM controlled via SpeedfanGigabyte GA990XA-UD3Gigabyte HD 7970 SOC@R9 280X120GiBee Kingston HyperX 3K2TB Toshiba DT01ACA2001TB WD GreenZalman Z11+Enermax 140MM TB Apollish RED+2X Deepcool 120MM and stock fans running @5VSingle Channel Patriot 8GB (1333MHZ)+Dual Channel 4GB&2GB Kingston NANO Gaming(1600MHZ CL9)=14GB 1,600 Jigahurtz 10-10-9-29 CR1@1.28VSirtec High Power 500WASUS Xonar DG, Logitech F510Sony MDR-XD200Edifier X220 + Edifier 3200A4Tech XL-747H 3600dpiA4Tech X7-200MPdecent membrane keyboardPhilips 236V3LSB 23" 1080p@71Hz .

Sorry for my English....

We've got a "Up to" 100/10 connection. But instead of lower, we get more than we pay for.

We generally get 10-15% higher.

Kiwi here. $280 per month for a 500gb data cap, Advertised speeds are 10 down 5 up but most of the time it's below 4 down 1 up. 100ms ping to local servers. About 500ms ping to USA servers. And they are the only isp in our area :(

Christ my £15/month no contract on my phone (like the old mobile phone top ups) gets unlimited data and 40meg speeds........ So glad i don't live in your area.

Motherboard  ROG Strix B350-F Gaming | CPU Ryzen 5 1600 | GPU Sapphire Radeon RX 480 Nitro+ OC  | RAM Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz 2x8Gb | OS Drive  Crucial MX300 525Gb M.2 | WiFi Card  ASUS PCE-AC68 | Case Switch 810 Gunmetal Grey SE | Storage WD 1.5tb, SanDisk Ultra 3D 500Gb, Samsung 840 EVO 120Gb | NAS Solution Synology 413j 8TB (6TB with 2TB redundancy using Synology Hybrid RAID) | Keyboard SteelSeries APEX | Mouse Razer Naga MMO Edition Green | Fan Controller Sentry LXE | Screens Sony 43" TV | Sound Logitech 5.1 X530

http://arstechnica.co.uk/information-technology/2015/06/only-1-percent-of-up-to-76mbps-customers-actually-get-76mbps-from-uk-isps/

The latest UK broadband report from Which magazine has slammed BT, Plusnet, TalkTalk, and other British ISPs for failing to deliver the "up to" speeds that are advertised on their websites. BT and Plusnet were two of the most egregious offenders: for their "up to" 76Mbps Internet access package, only 1 percent of customers actually got the advertised speed. Virgin Media, you might be unsurprised to learn, put in a much better showing than the other mainstream ISPs: 98 percent of Virgin customers got the advertised speed.

upto-speeds-uk-different-fttc-types-640x

What do you think????? http://strawpoll.me/4697352

I pay for 16mb/s and get 12. I pay for slow and get even slower..

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 5800x3D | Scythe Fuma 2 | RX6600XT Red Devil | B550M Steel Legend | Fury Renegade 32GB 3600MTs | 980 Pro Gen4 - RAID0 - Kingston A400 480GB x2 RAID1 - Seagate Barracuda 1TB x2 | Fractal Design Integra M 650W | InWin 103 | Mic. - SM57 | Headphones - Sony MDR-1A | Keyboard - Roccat Vulcan 100 AIMO | Mouse - Steelseries Rival 310 | Monitor - Dell S3422DWG

if the landline is fine but no internet seems to me like its the router, bt will be able to check your line for you anyway, all the best mate.

Bit of a weird one, if I try and dial the landline I can hear it ringing in my phone's speaker, but the landline itself does not ring. If I try and dial in a number with the landline it comes up with "the number has not been recognised" before I even type enough digits in.

Bit of a weird one, if I try and dial the landline I can hear it ringing in my phone's speaker, but the landline itself does not ring. If I try and dial in a number with the landline it comes up with "the number has not been recognised" before I even type enough digits in.

thats odd, must be a phoneline issue, do you know how to log into the router to get the statistics? if you do mate screenshot where it tells you your connection speed with all the info about the line attenuation etc and il take a look at it for you.

thats if your internet is working again lol.

well i phoned plus net and if you ask them how fast your internet will actually be they they can tell you, they said mine would be 28-32 and its around 30 most of the time :). my parents pay for 38mbps, but they knew you could only get around 30 here anyway. i also asked if we could upgrade to 76mpbs, but they did say on the phone that 30mbps is the max for this area because its only fibre to the exchange then copper to the houses. 

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

Funny, my ISP says "Up to" but generally they are actually better. Their base plan is 15/5, but you usually get 18/7.
Their next tier plan which I just upgraded to is "Up to 50/25" but I'm getting:
4452093693.png
I'm not complaining! :D