Upload speed for Twitch streaming

dialgarocksful

What would be the lowest recommended upload speed for twitch streaming at 720p 40-fps-ish? I currently got a 750kbps (unstable up to 1.1Mbps) upload right now, and I'm watching my past broadcasts, it ended up at 480p with artificating.

Spoiler

It's not really about the upload speed, it's also about upload stability. Your network should have as little as jitter possible.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

What would be the lowest recommended upload speed for twitch streaming at 720p 40-fps-ish? I currently got a 750kbps (unstable up to 1.1Mbps) upload right now, and I'm watching my past broadcasts, it ended up at 480p with artificating.

You can try playing around with the bitrate.

But 5+Mbit would be preferred for a good looking stream

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

theres no "recommended" but more a "throw more horsepower at it, and you're going to need less upload bandwidth'

You can try playing around with the bitrate.

But 5+Mbit would be preferred for a good looking stream

are you encoding on a potato?

if i get everything set up correctly, my 4790k can put 720p30 in 1Mbit just fine.

also, twitch doesnt like people using more than 3.5Mbit

if i get everything set up correctly, my 4790k can put 720p30 in 1Mbit just fine.

With good looking stream I meant 1080p60fps (I don't know numbers for 720p40fps off the top of my head).

Last time I tried some streaming was with my friend, who has a pretty terrible laptop :P so yeah, you could call that a potato

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

at the moment, I'm playing with A8-6600K with 7750. Mainly streaming Dota2 at max settings. And what would be a suggestable bitrate for that (considering 750-1Mbps speed and requirement of 720p30fps)

Spoiler

With good looking stream I meant 1080p60fps (I don't know numbers for 720p40fps off the top of my head).

Last time I tried some streaming was with my friend, who has a pretty terrible laptop :P so yeah, you could call that a potato

generally laptops dont like encoding too much, out of the 4 laptops i tested it on, none were really capable of pushing OBS past 25fps.

Your streaming bitrate is going to determine the quality of your stream. Your streaming bitrate is also going to be determined by your upload speed. A YouTube 1080p video has a bitrate of about 8mbps. A 4K video has a bitrate of 25-30mbps. (A variable bitrate.) For Twitch, to get a decent stream quality, you'll want about a 3.5mbps bitrate, which would require, at minimum, a 3.5mbps upload speed. Of course you'll want headroom and stability, especially if you stream and game, and use something like Vent, or TeamSpeak, or Skype during games.

So for a decent stream, I'd say 5mbps upload. 

Your streaming bitrate is going to determine the quality of your stream. Your streaming bitrate is also going to be determined by your upload speed. A YouTube 1080p video has a bitrate of about 8mbps. A 4K video has a bitrate of 25-30mbps. (A variable bitrate.) For Twitch, to get a decent stream quality, you'll want about a 3.5mbps bitrate, which would require, at minimum, a 3.5mbps upload speed. Of course you'll want headroom and stability, especially if you stream and game, and use something like Vent, or TeamSpeak, or Skype during games.

So for a decent stream, I'd say 5mbps upload. 

What would be a below-5mbps good stream for a 720p35fps?

Spoiler

What would be a below-5mbps good stream for a 720p35fps?

720p30, you'd want something like 2mbps streaming bitrate. You could probably get away with 1mbps, but it might look rather poor. 

720p30, you'd want something like 2mbps streaming bitrate. You could probably get away with 1mbps, but it might look rather poor. 

sucks I live in a country where 1mbps upload is the mainstream.. would 720p30 artifact on 1mbps?

Spoiler

sucks I live in a country where 1mbps upload is the mainstream.. would 720p30 artifact on 1mbps?

Maybe, but I am not positive. Best thing to do is just give it a test run, see how it goes, and adjust from there.

Maybe, but I am not positive. Best thing to do is just give it a test run, see how it goes, and adjust from there.

lemme try. with that, i adjust bit rate to 1mbps right?

Spoiler

lemme try. with that, i adjust bit rate to 1mbps right?

Yup!

A YouTube 1080p video has a bitrate of about 8mbps.

No, 4-5mbit/s

There should be a Twitch test thread (if there isn't one already) where people could post their streams (for testing purposes only) and get feedback on quality settings etc.

What people are forgetting is, you need a good CPU for the encoding. You can't just stream 4K just because you have a gbit network connection.

Anyway, you might just barely be able to get 720p, but your rig doesn't seem that powerful; so I'm not sure how well it'll work.

No, 4-5mbit/s

No, sir. The bitrate for 1080p YouTube videos is a variable rate that lands at around 8mbps. 

Source: I've been working with YouTube for 8 years now, and have actively run a channel for 3-and-a-half years. I've also been editing videos for about 8 or 9.

No, sir. The bitrate for 1080p YouTube videos is a variable rate that lands at around 8mbps.

Nope, I can watch 1080p YouTube easily on my 6mbit/s line.(enough headroom for a parallel running 480p Netflix stream)

And of course, I measured the datarate used by YT more than once over the last years.

post-160594-0-29478900-1434747510.png

4.3Mbit/s input and the buffer is filling steady

Nope, I can watch 1080p YouTube easily on my 6mbit/s line.(enough headroom for a parallel running 480p Netflix stream)

And of course, I measured the datarate used by YT more than once over the last years.

attachicon.gifScreenshot_2015-06-19-22-57-04~01.png

4.3Mbit/s input and the buffer is filling steady

It's a variable bitrate. YouTube recommends an 8mbps upload, but the actual playbakc varies between 3mbps and 6mbps. YouTube 1080p60 varies between 4.5mbps and 9mbps.

YouTube recommends an 8mbps upload,

That's completely uninteresting since twitch doesn't reencode

• 1 year later...

4 Mbps should be well enough for you.
I presume you are streaming for money. I used to play just for fun. I am really good at gaming. It's the only thing I'm good at to be honest ;).
Then an Ebook (Video Games Pay my Bills) pushed me to earn some money from it. Now everytime I start playing, I start to think of streaming. Games are not fun like they used-to anymore :( .