Could console gaming be cheaper than PC gaming?

SauronsV
Go to solution Solved by jamesthemagician,

If you wanted a PC better than a console you can get it for the same price. You don't have to upgrade. It's basically a better cheaper console. It's not like the console is upgrading over the years. You can make a 1080p BEAST for the price of a PS4. Youre just missing key points in your thought process

So I was thinking and people usually have consoles for 6 years or something. Most people would have bought their console for around 400 euros. Lets add 300 euros due to playstation plus for 6 years which is 50 a year which makes 300. So 700 euros + expensive games.

However how many times is a PC gamer going to upgrade within 6 years? You most likely will have to upgrade your GPU due to low VRAM assuming you wanted to match the price of the PS4. Also If you want to upgrade your CPU you will probably have to upgrade your motherboard as well because of new ports so a lot of better cpu's wont support your motherboard. What I am trying to say is a PS4 will last 6 years at annoying 30fps (most games) at 900-1080p but you will not need to upgrade anything. So it is just 700 euros + whatever games you buy. But with a PC lets say a build that matches its 700 euro price point will need to be upgraded like 4 years down the road. And how much will that cost? 

I could just be completely wrong about this I am a noob and im a new PC gamer and I prefer it to my PS4, but I just wanted to bring this up, or am I crazy about this subject in terms of pricing. Its just that I dont know anyone who wouldn't upgrade any parts within a 6 year period.

"PC gamers could keep their PCs for 7 years if they wanted your potato grade graphics." -Linus

My Rig:  CPU: Core i7 4790K @4.8ghz  Motherboard: Asus Maximus Vii Hero  Ram: 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400mhz (Red)  Cooling: Corsair H105, 2x Corsair SP120 High Preformance Editions, Corsair AF 140 Quiet Edition  PSU: Corsair RM 850  GPU: EVGA GTX 980 SC ACX 2.0  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, WD Blue 1TB  Case Corsair 760t (Black)  Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Chroma  Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma  Headset: ATH-M50X Mic: Blue Yeti Blackout

Sorry but every game on PC is cheaper than the console counterpart (when bought new)

AMD Phenom II B55 Quad / unlocked dual core 4.3ghz CB R15 = CB 422
XFX R9 390 8GB MY RIG: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/MVwQsY
Fastest 7770 on LTT . 3rd Fastest Phenom II Quad on LTT

PCSX2 on AMD CPU? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/412377-pcsx2-emulator-4096x2160-amd-phenom-ii/#entry5550588

the title is a bit stupid because of course console gaming could be cheaper it just depends on how much you spend on your pc but you should be able to run most games for 6 years with a $700 system maybe even longer just depend if u want to put up with low textures and low frame rates and the games are a lot cheaper on pc even at release 

If you wanted a PC better than a console you can get it for the same price. You don't have to upgrade. It's basically a better cheaper console. It's not like the console is upgrading over the years. You can make a 1080p BEAST for the price of a PS4. Youre just missing key points in your thought process

i think it will depend on what yo are looking for

if you want to play skyrim and dont care about mods, grab a 360 and skyrim.

PC gaming can be more expensive if you want more than u need

just dont be an FPS and graphics whore.

Main PC: 4690k // Z97 // R9 280 3GB // 8gb Ram // CM Elite 430 Case // 750 EVGA B PSU // 1TB HDD

Living Room "Console" PC: FX 8350 // 990a SLI Krait // R7 360 // 8gb Ram // HAF 912 // 750 EVGA B PSU // 1TB HDD

Future Plans:

find a 2nd monitor at a pawn shop

Sell/giveaway R7 360, move r9 280 into console PC, buy a better GPU for main PC.

"PC gamers could keep their PCs for 7 years if they wanted your potato grade graphics." -Linus

Cause it's all about graphics and aesthetics,gameplay,story and other things don't matter.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

Sorry but every game on PC is cheaper than the console counterpart (when bought new)

Especially with G2A, that's where I buy all my games, except when there is a steam sale.

My Rig:  CPU: Core i7 4790K @4.8ghz  Motherboard: Asus Maximus Vii Hero  Ram: 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400mhz (Red)  Cooling: Corsair H105, 2x Corsair SP120 High Preformance Editions, Corsair AF 140 Quiet Edition  PSU: Corsair RM 850  GPU: EVGA GTX 980 SC ACX 2.0  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, WD Blue 1TB  Case Corsair 760t (Black)  Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Chroma  Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma  Headset: ATH-M50X Mic: Blue Yeti Blackout

I've never agreed with the prospect of PC gaming being cheaper, to start off at least. If you build an extremely low budget machine, you get much less for your money and the experience suffers. Spending more on your PC, between 600-1000 USD, in my opinion, is a better option. You usually end up saving a lot of money through games and stuff. That said, you typically spend more on PC games...since there are more games to play by far lol.

And peripherals. Holy fuck I've spent a lot there. Because on PC I can play on any keyboard or controller I want. 360 controllers, ps3 controllers, xb1/ps4 controllers, n64, special sticks, ect

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Oh boy, shitstorm incoming..

Well, you dont need a PC or PS4 when you have a GameCube 

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ RIOT ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

the title is a bit stupid because of course console gaming could be cheaper depending on how much you spend on your pc but you should be able to run most games for 6 years with a $700 system and the games are a lot cheaper on pc even at release

Not necessarily. You can build a PC that trumps consoles for the same price as a console. Get cheaper games, free internet and so much more.

the thing is, if pc gamers didnt go to more demanding games, they wouldnt upgrade either.

see it like this:

- console gaming is like photoshop, once a year you get a complete update to a new version with more bells and whistles, which costs money once.

- pc gaming is like gimp, it updates a lot more common, but the updates are smaller and more gradual. (replacing the cpu&mobo, upgrading ram, replacing graphics card)

a good example is sevadus (quite a big minecraft livestreamer), which has had his main gaming system for 10 years, but in that time has upgraded every component.

this way he keeps up to date, without replacing everything at once like a console upgrade is.

--

this said, a PC thats a tad more expensive than a console can provide the same amount of graphics horsepower, and can last those 6 years just fine as long as you dont go towards more demanding games (which console games dont do either)

(take notes: a pc can do more than a console, so spending a bit more money is reasonable)

Not necessarily. You can build a PC that trumps consoles for the same price as a console. Get cheaper games, free internet and so much more.

I don't think u understand what hes asking he said "COULD console gaming be cheaper" and yeah it could depending on how much you spend on your pc 

I've never agreed with the prospect of PC gaming being cheaper, to start off at least. If you build an extremely low budget machine, you get much less for your money and the experience suffers. Spending more on your PC, between 600-1000 USD, in my opinion, is a better option. You usually end up saving a lot of money through games and stuff. That said, you typically spend more on PC games...since there are more games to play by far lol.

And peripherals. Holy fuck I've spent a lot there. Because on PC I can play on any keyboard or controller I want. 360 controllers, ps3 controllers, xb1/ps4 controllers, n64, special sticks, ect

If you have your priorities straight then it is way cheaper. It all depends on who you are and your situation

I don't think u understand what hes asking he said "COULD console gaming be cheaper" and yeah it could depending on how much you spend on your pc

It could but it doesn't need to. Because you can have something better than a console for the same price

It could but it doesn't need to. Because you can have something better than a console for the same price

I know u can..................I didn't say u couldn't

Yeah but how many times a year do you pay $60 for a brand new game? I get atleast 3, $400+$360 $760 for 6 years of playstation plus and the ps4. Almost EVERYONE I know gets another controller because ps4 ones die fast. $810. 3 games a year for 6 years. 180 times 6.

$1080+$810 is $1890. I'd gladly build a $1300 system with a 980ti and i5-4690k to last me 7 years. $590 left over for games, you can find a nice keyboard and mouse combo for $26 that's backlit, a $150 for a 1080p IPS panel, or use your TV. Steam sales drop prices of games insaneles amount. I could easily get 12-30 games with $590 on PC. What about those people who pay $60 EVERY time that new game comes out that they just have to have? My friend gets a good 6-7 games a year. That's $360 a year for 6-7 years. If it's 6 years $2160 just for games if you got 6 a year for 6 years. This doesn't count all those cheap $30 games Orr all those COD add one or when you buy s sharkcards or buy VC for NBA 2k. Console gaming in my,opinion is MORE expensive then PC.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

I know you can..................

OK yeah I know what you mean. Took a while to process in my brain for some reason

Well my Phenom II system was 600 quid in 2009...

The 7770 is the newest addition which makes it on par with XBONE.

AMD Phenom II B55 Quad / unlocked dual core 4.3ghz CB R15 = CB 422
XFX R9 390 8GB MY RIG: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/MVwQsY
Fastest 7770 on LTT . 3rd Fastest Phenom II Quad on LTT

PCSX2 on AMD CPU? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/412377-pcsx2-emulator-4096x2160-amd-phenom-ii/#entry5550588

If you have your priorities straight then it is way cheaper. It all depends on who you are and your situation

I had always argued spending 3-500$ on a PC is not a good choice.

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

I had always argued spending 3-500$ on a PC is not a good choice.

While that is true. If you really were restricted to that much. It is possible and not even that bad

you can't make a 1080p beast pc for 400$

a really good gaming pc is gonna cost like 1000-1200$

gaming on pc is cheaper tho cause of all the sales on steam

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

you can't make a 1080p beast pc for 400$

a really good gaming pc is gonna cost like 1000-1200$

gaming on pc is cheaper tho cause of all the sales on steam

Uh... Yes you can. I'm not 100% sure on the name of the PC. But I'm pretty sure its called the potato masher or crusher. Something like that. Easily runs games at high shit 1080p 60fps

Uh... Yes you can. I'm not 100% sure on the name of the PC. But I'm pretty sure its called the potato masher or crusher. Something like that. Easily runs games at high shit 1080p 60fps

umm no

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile