Can I use my MacBook Pro as a desktop?

johnnyTheMac

Hello,

I recently jump the Windows ship and hopped on Apple's by picking up a mid-2014 MacBook Pro, i7, 16GB, 512GB SSD, 750M 2GB dedicated GPU. I must say it is pretty sweet.

I do a lot of work at home, but once or twice a week I go into the office. I like the idea of having a desktop at home to work on, but the portability of the MacBook. So, I would like to know if I can use the MacBook as a desktop, you know with a keyboard, mouse and external monitors.

Here is a list of concerns/questions that I have: 1. Can I use it with the top down? If so, will it cause any overheating problems?

1. Can I use 2 or 3 external monitors at once?

2. Could I use Bluetooth mouse, keyboard and headphones while the lid is closed?

3. Is there a stand or something I could/should use?

4. Will there be any resolution issues going from Retina Display to 1080x1920?

5. Will battery life suffer from keeping it plugged in mostly all of the time?

6. Will there be an issue with leaving the device on pretty much all of the time, maybe using sleep instead of shutting it down? I mean, the only time I am thinking about shutting it down is when I transfer the device from home to work. or if I bring it somewhere.

I think that is it. I know that I could build a more powerful desktop, but I wanted this and went with it. I would surely appreciate any advice, suggestions and/or help from anyone who has any experience or anything with this.

Thank you in advance for your help!

CPU: Intel i7 3770K | Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UDH4 | RAM: 8 GB Blue Ares | GPU: Gigabyte Windforce 780 GHz Edition | Case: Corsair C70 Vengeance Arctic White | Storage: 250 GB SSD Corsair Neutron - 128 GB SSD Kingston - 1 TB WD Black | PSU: Corsair 850 watt | Display: 3 x Dell S2340M 23-Inch IPS 

2. Could I use Bluetooth mouse, keyboard and headphones while the lid is closed?

6. Will there be an issue with leaving the device on pretty much all of the time, maybe using sleep instead of shutting it down? I mean, the only time I am thinking about shutting it down is when I transfer the device from home to work. or if I bring it somewhere

1) Yes, maybe look into a thunderolt dock

2) Yes (change the lid option in preferences)

3) yes lots fo stands

4) no it just wont be as sharp - maybe get better monitors?

5) should be fine

6) no issues

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

@mikat you know all about this, right?

PC SPECS: CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @4.4GHz - Mobo: Asrock Extreme 4 (Z77) - GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 680 Twin Frozr 2GB - RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x4GB (8GB) 1600MHz CL8 + 1x8GB - Storage: SSD: Sandisk Extreme II 120GB. HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - PSU: be quiet! Pure Power L8 630W semi modular  - Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D  - OS: Windows 7

• Can I use 2 or 3 external monitors at once?
  • Could I use Bluetooth mouse, keyboard and headphones while the lid is closed?
  • Is there a stand or something I could/should use?
  • Will there be any resolution issues going from Retina Display to 1080x1920?
  • Will battery life suffer from keeping it plugged in mostly all of the time?
  • Will there be an issue with leaving the device on pretty much all of the time, maybe using sleep instead of shutting it down? I mean, the only time I am thinking about shutting it down is when I transfer the device from home to work. or if I bring it somewhere.

1. 2 external monitors are easy. for 3 you either need a dock or a display that is daisychain-able
  2.  yes
  3.  many
  4.  nope. I am using a "Retina"-Display and a standard display at the same time.
  5.  nope. just completly drain the battery at least every 2-3 months.
  6.  Most Mac users I know almost never shut down their Macs - no problem at all

I used a Macbook Pro as only PC for over 2 years, when I traveled a lot between to cities.

Most of the time with the lid closed and a apple bluetooth keyboard connected ;)

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

Thank you everyone for the replies!

Macs stop charging when the battery is 100% that's why the light on your MagSafe turns green.

Does that mean that it just sort of bypasses the battery when it is full charged and plugged in...if that makes sense?

CPU: Intel i7 3770K | Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UDH4 | RAM: 8 GB Blue Ares | GPU: Gigabyte Windforce 780 GHz Edition | Case: Corsair C70 Vengeance Arctic White | Storage: 250 GB SSD Corsair Neutron - 128 GB SSD Kingston - 1 TB WD Black | PSU: Corsair 850 watt | Display: 3 x Dell S2340M 23-Inch IPS 

Thank you everyone for the replies!

Does that mean that it just sort of bypasses the battery when it is full charged and plugged in...if that makes sense?

yes ... kind a ... actually the integrated battery management does some other tricks.

don't overthink it and just let it plugged in when you are at your desk and don't bother connecting it when on the go.

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

Hello,

I recently jump the Windows ship and hopped on Apple's by picking up a mid-2014 MacBook Pro, i7, 16GB, 512GB SSD, 750M 2GB dedicated GPU. I must say it is pretty sweet.

I do a lot of work at home, but once or twice a week I go into the office. I like the idea of having a desktop at home to work on, but the portability of the MacBook. So, I would like to know if I can use the MacBook as a desktop, you know with a keyboard, mouse and external monitors.

Here is a list of concerns/questions that I have: 1. Can I use it with the top down? If so, will it cause any overheating problems?

6. Will there be an issue with leaving the device on pretty much all of the time, maybe using sleep instead of shutting it down? I mean, the only time I am thinking about shutting it down is when I transfer the device from home to work. or if I bring it somewhere.

I think that is it. I know that I could build a more powerful desktop, but I wanted this and went with it. I would surely appreciate any advice, suggestions and/or help from anyone who has any experience or anything with this.

Thank you in advance for your help!

1. Maybe an MST Hub like the one NCIX advertised on their channel will work

2. yes

3. idk

4. no (if you are trying to get your macbook screen to run 1080p, it will look horrible, but connecting 1080p monitors is fine)

5. no

5. no

@TomvanWijnen thanks for the mention

btw: i've tried all these things with my macbook air :)

exept 1 and 3