Anyone else disappointed with R9 300/Fury lineup?

Hieb

The R7 360 (2 GB GDDR5) is the small form factor GPU (no pricing yet), but the R7 370 (up to 4 GB GDDR5) will cost $149 when purchased in bulk. The R9 380 (up to 4 GB GDDR5), which AMD said will drive 1440p gaming with FreeSync, will cost $199.

It's a big step up price-wise to the R9 390 (up to 8 GB GDDR5), which will run you $329, and the flagship R9 390X (up to 8 GB GDDR5) will be $429, featuring DX12 and GCN. You'll be able to purchase the R9 390X on Thursday.

Source

I think I'm still too confused to be disappointed. If the R9 390X is only a rebranded R9 290X 8 GB, then why will it cost $429? If R9 380 is just Tahiti again, how well is it really going to drive 1440p gaming?

This doesn't make any sense. When cards are rebranded, usually they move down the chain both in name and in price point. The Radeon HD 7950 became the R9 280 and they knocked the price down to compare with the old HD 7800's, for instance. I would expect current-generation Hawaii cards to be the new 380's for $200–250, Tahiti to become 370's for $150–180, etc. If all the rumors about rebrands are true, this just looks like a price hike.

The new cards are awesome, but there are a few things really eating away at me

1) They screwed their own naming scheme by trying to go all fancy with "Fury" branding

2) The R7 370 is still using Pitcairn from 2012... and doesn't support all the latest things like FreeSync and TrueAudio

I really wish the lineup was something like this:

R9 390X - Fiji XT/Fury X - $550

R9 390 - Fiji Pro/Fury - $400-450

R9 380X - R9 290 / 290X 4GB/8GB - $275-300

R9 380 - R9 M295X 3GB/6GB (Tonga XT) - $260-275

R9 370X - R9 285 4GB - $220

R9 370 - R9 285 2GB - $175

R7 360 - R7 260X 2GB - $125

R7 350X - R7 260 2GB - $100

Having the 390 and 390X basically just being 290 and 290X with extra VRAM is really disappointing. It's supposedly a new generation, they should be a tier lower. Releasing a whole new generation of cards where the only actual NEW cards aren't part of the numbering system is really lame, IMO.

I believe they want to have a competitor to the titan series with their fury stuff. I would like it the way you mentioned it aswell, yeah.

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 5800x3D | Scythe Fuma 2 | RX6600XT Red Devil | B550M Steel Legend | Fury Renegade 32GB 3600MTs | 980 Pro Gen4 - RAID0 - Kingston A400 480GB x2 RAID1 - Seagate Barracuda 1TB x2 | Fractal Design Integra M 650W | InWin 103 | Mic. - SM57 | Headphones - Sony MDR-1A | Keyboard - Roccat Vulcan 100 AIMO | Mouse - Steelseries Rival 310 | Monitor - Dell S3422DWG

I guess this is the forum where butt hurt AMD fanboys console one another.

If AMD keeps up their lack of effort in innovating, Radeon will be forgotten by early 2017.

Price.png

$2.51 per share today

ba155147b60020e4f1646b6b3a551bb5.png

$21.68 per share today

Cheer up boys ;)

Didnt amd shares cost like 2,5€ in the beginning of HD 7XXX release already??? Nvidia is just a lot bigger brand. Noone uses them outside gamers, thats their problem and with that big of a gap it wont be easy for them

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 5800x3D | Scythe Fuma 2 | RX6600XT Red Devil | B550M Steel Legend | Fury Renegade 32GB 3600MTs | 980 Pro Gen4 - RAID0 - Kingston A400 480GB x2 RAID1 - Seagate Barracuda 1TB x2 | Fractal Design Integra M 650W | InWin 103 | Mic. - SM57 | Headphones - Sony MDR-1A | Keyboard - Roccat Vulcan 100 AIMO | Mouse - Steelseries Rival 310 | Monitor - Dell S3422DWG

Even being a rebrand the performance of the 390x according to a few sources is fantastic. In synthetic benchmarks it appears to perform nearly as well as the 980 at a lower cost. I agree it would've been nice if the rebrands were a notch lower, but it looks like AMD might blow Nvidia out of the water for high-end cards, which is where most of their attention was placed

Thats the sad part. AMD is so strong in compute performance, the 290x packs like 5.6tflops of compute performance whereas the 980ti peeks at 6.2. 

They just somehow arent able to put it into the game.

Source

I think I'm still too confused to be disappointed. If the R9 390X is only a rebranded R9 290X 8 GB, then why will it cost $429? If R9 380 is just Tahiti again, how well is it really going to drive 1440p gaming?

This doesn't make any sense. When cards are rebranded, usually they move down the chain both in name and in price point. The Radeon HD 7950 became the R9 280 and they knocked the price down to compare with the old HD 7800's, for instance. I would expect current-generation Hawaii cards to be the new 380's for $200–250, Tahiti to become 370's for $150–180, etc. If all the rumors about rebrands are true, this just looks like a price hike.

Well AMD and Nvidia are never really honest with what they say the card is designed for... Nvidia also advertised the GTX 960 as good performance for 1440P and 4K, AMD is doing the same with the R9 380, which is actually gonna be rebranded Tonga (R9 285). Tahiti is done now.

As for the pricing, I really don't know what's up with AMD's pricing for this generation...

Intel i5-4690K @ 3.8GHz || Gigabyte Z97X-SLI || 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600MHz || Asus GTX 760 2GB @ 1150 / 6400 || 128GB A-Data SX900 + 1TB Toshiba 7200RPM || Corsair RM650 || Fractal 3500W

As for the pricing, I really don't know what's up with AMD's pricing for this generation...

Well if this is just a stealth price hike under the disguise of "new" cards, that still doesn't make sense. As everyone has been arguing about for 3 pages now, cost-effectiveness is AMD's biggest asset. How is a $429 re-branded 290X going to compare to a $330 GTX 970? You can only trick so many newbies with an 8 GB frame buffer.

There's got to be more to this than a simple rebrand.

Well if this is just a stealth price hike under the disguise of "new" cards, that still doesn't make sense. As everyone has been arguing about for 3 pages now, cost-effectiveness is AMD's biggest asset. How is a $429 re-branded 290X going to compare to a $330 GTX 970? You can only trick so many newbies with an 8 GB frame buffer.

I hope so...

Intel i5-4690K @ 3.8GHz || Gigabyte Z97X-SLI || 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600MHz || Asus GTX 760 2GB @ 1150 / 6400 || 128GB A-Data SX900 + 1TB Toshiba 7200RPM || Corsair RM650 || Fractal 3500W

I am disappointed in AMD.  As an Nvidia fanboy, I won't be happy if they disappear.  Because that would mean Nvidia can charge as much as they want and we wouldn't be able to do a darn thing.

AMD deserves to be made fun of for their lack of effort.  I wouldn't say their tired old R9 200 series are bad.  They're stealing SOME sales from Nvidia.  Had those cards not been volcanoes, I may have bought one (290 in particular).  AMD needs to pray Nvidia doesn't drop their prices.  It's the only saving grace for AMD.

R9 290x beats the 970 at lower price

R9 280x beats 960 at lower price

Fury beats 980ti at lower price

Fury X kills the titan x at a lower price

Your point?

Lets all ripperoni in pepperoni

I'm pretty sure the price announced by AMD is right around $350... And 450 is just best buy's price. I'm not sure though I can't find the post on LTT with all the official prices

Nude Fist 1: i5-4590-ASRock h97 Anniversary-16gb Samsung 1333mhz-MSI GTX 970-Corsair 300r-Seagate HDD(s)-EVGA SuperNOVA 750b2

Name comes from anagramed sticker for "TUF Inside" (A sticker that came with my original ASUS motherboard)

Snip

So let me recap... you want a card that beats the 980TI/Titan X to be 400? Are you insane? Do you realize AMD basically put out a better GPU than anything Nvidia has for cheaper? 

You can buy an air cooled blower style (lol) 980TI or you can get a better card that comes with a free watercooler. 

Making new GPU's doesn't mean shit when it's utter garbage like the GTX 960. 

Intel 4790 K - R9 295X2 - Gigabyte Z97-SLI - Corsair Vengeance Pro Black 1866 CAL9 - Corsair HX 1000 -Samsung 850 EVO SSD - Samsung HDD - H100I - Corsair C70 - G400 Logitech - Asus VS247H - WASD custom mechanical and QCKPAD! 

Staples of LTT: Getting an 4690 K will resurrect your lost family members, AMD = More heat thus AMD = Satan. 

just loving the fact they released a card with closed loop water. I dont like to change coolers on cards but love to have water and I dont want to fuck around with a full water setup as i would probably fuck it up. 

3800X, Corsiar 32gig 3200mhz LPX, Asus Hero X570. 2080ti black edition

I'm pretty sure the price announced by AMD is right around $350... And 450 is just best buy's price. I'm not sure though I can't find the post on LTT with all the official prices

I'm seeing multiple tech sites agreeing that AMD announced the R9 390 at $329 and R9 390X at $429 at E3. I didn't watch it myself, so this is what I have to go on.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9383/amd-radeon-live-blog (Ctrl-F > "390X" to find it)

http://www.techspot.com/news/61010-amd-officially-announces-radeon-300-series-graphics-cards.html

http://techreport.com/review/28476/live-blog-from-amd-new-era-of-pc-gaming-event

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-radeon-fury-x-nano,29387.html

I'm seeing multiple tech sites agreeing that AMD announced the R9 390 at $329 and R9 390X at $429 at E3. I didn't watch it myself, so this is what I have to go on.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9383/amd-radeon-live-blog (Ctrl-F > "390X" to find it)

http://www.techspot.com/news/61010-amd-officially-announces-radeon-300-series-graphics-cards.html

http://techreport.com/review/28476/live-blog-from-amd-new-era-of-pc-gaming-event

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-radeon-fury-x-nano,29387.html

Oh I was thinking of the 390 haha :)

Nude Fist 1: i5-4590-ASRock h97 Anniversary-16gb Samsung 1333mhz-MSI GTX 970-Corsair 300r-Seagate HDD(s)-EVGA SuperNOVA 750b2

Name comes from anagramed sticker for "TUF Inside" (A sticker that came with my original ASUS motherboard)

Honestly it's not the end of the world that AMD re-used Hawaii XT, since Hawaii XT was the new Architecture since the rest of Hawaii was rebranded 7xxx.

Grenada XT is based off Hawaii XT, I suspect that Hawaii XT had some expansion room so yeah.

I think that if AMD was able to cut down power draw (which would also mean it would run cooler) that's all that matters and maybe a single card getting closer to Nvidia's current consumer line of GPUs. Two R9 290Xs are great in After Effects, Premiere and Photoshop I hear. 

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

R9 290x beats the 970 at lower price 

R9 280x beats 960 at lower price   

Fury beats 980ti at lower price

Fury X kills the titan x at a lower price

Your point?

When you factor in the need for a beefy power supplies, minimal advantage on a FEW titles, tdp right out of Hades, horrendous driver support from a company that may not be around in a few years... I'll pass.

Not to mention DX12 has already killed Mantle before it even left the gate... AMD's poor cpu cache architecture won't benefit as much as Intel with regards to DX12... AMD's future is quite dim.

Checkmate.

The new cards are awesome, but there are a few things really eating away at me

1) They screwed their own naming scheme by trying to go all fancy with "Fury" branding

2) The R7 370 is still using Pitcairn from 2012... and doesn't support all the latest things like FreeSync and TrueAudio

I really wish the lineup was something like this:

R9 390X - Fiji XT/Fury X - $550

R9 390 - Fiji Pro/Fury - $400-450

R9 380X - R9 290 / 290X 4GB/8GB - $275-300

R9 380 - R9 M295X 3GB/6GB (Tonga XT) - $260-275

R9 370X - R9 285 4GB - $220

R9 370 - R9 285 2GB - $175

R7 360 - R7 260X 2GB - $125

R7 350X - R7 260 2GB - $100

Having the 390 and 390X basically just being 290 and 290X with extra VRAM is really disappointing. It's supposedly a new generation, they should be a tier lower. Releasing a whole new generation of cards where the only actual NEW cards aren't part of the numbering system is really lame, IMO.

It's disappointing, but AMD doesn't have the budget to develop 5 new chips every year like Nvidia does, as they have a rather small market share.  I was really hoping they'd have a bit more new stuff to show us as I'm a bit of a fanboy myself, but it looks like I'm either getting a 980Ti or a Fury X if I build a new rig this year.

The 770 was just a 680 and the 760 was just a 670 also isn't the 670 (and 760) just a 580?

The 300 series looks like shit, but who is going to be able to afford a FreeSync monitor and only pair it with an HD 7870 = R9 270 = R7 370? So the 7870 not having FreeSync support isn't a real strike against it, it's a budget card now. The Fiji cards look awesome though. The 390 series being 290 series with extra pretty much useless VRAM and big price increases is especially lame though. It's funny how Lisa Su distanced herself from the whole 300 series in the presentation, like don't blame that fuck up on me.

FreeSync monitors are cheaper than G-sync

I don't think Nvidia's prices are that bad, the 970 is at a great position, yeah the 980 and 980 is a little steep but its also a flag ship card, the 295X2 is also expensive.

Honestly it's not the end of the world that AMD re-used Hawaii XT, since Hawaii XT was the new Architecture since the rest of Hawaii was rebranded 7xxx.

I don't think anyone is that concerned (reasonably anyway) that AMD is rebranding some cards.. it's that, in a sane world, the R9 290X should be the new R9 380X and get a price cut. Instead it looks like the R9 290X is getting a straight rename to 390X, getting a pointless 8 GB of VRAM and a big price increase—unless we're missing something, of course.

The HD 7000 cards you're talking about all dropped down a tier and adopted new pricing. HD 7970 to R9 280X, for example.

When you factor in the need for a beefy power supplies, minimal advantage on a FEW titles, tdp right out of Hades, horrendous driver support from a company that may not be around in a few years... I'll pass.

Not to mention DX12 has already killed Mantle before it even left the gate... AMD's poor cpu cache architecture won't benefit as much as Intel with regards to DX12... AMD's future is quite dim.

Checkmate.

Dude, games dont favor the green or red. 

Beefy? Last time I checked, 980ti/titan x consume same power as Fury X?

Horrendous driver support? Have you ever used an AMD card?

A company that has been around since the start of processors

DX12 isint even out yet for the consumers, and no games support it. And in firestrike Mantel beets DX12. Whats your point?

CACHE? You think its about cahce? ... AMDS IPC is low, not their damn cahce, get your facts right.

Also seeing AMD might be using a Level 4 cache HBM, that invalidates your invalidated point...

Dude, games dont favor the green or red. 

Beefy? Last time I checked, 980ti/titan x consume same power as Fury X?

Horrendous driver support? Have you ever used an AMD card?

A company that has been around since the start of processors

DX12 isint even out yet for the consumers, and no games support it. And in firestrike Mantel beets DX12. Whats your point?

CACHE? You think its about cahce? ... AMDS IPC is low, not their damn cahce, get your facts right.

Also seeing AMD might be using a Level 4 cache HBM, that invalidates your invalidated point...

Tell that to Grand Theft Auto 5.  Runs like shit on red.  Green had an optimized driver on day one.  Red will have one too by the time 6 gets released.

Wrong.

Horrendous is correct.  Yes I have had several red cards in the past.  They were huge pieces of shit.  The card I bought was over a year old.  Guess what, the driver in the CD that came in the box contained the save version that was "current" to AMD's site.  LOL!

Kodak was one of the pioneers of photography.  How are their current cameras doing?

Consumers... that's funny.  Now testers, they're seeing how AMD is handicapped.  Oh I forgot, how dare I say cache is PART of number crunching.  Head out of your ass.

Keep telling yourself that.  It won't make it so, but if it helps you sleep better, be my guest.

Tell that to Grand Theft Auto 5.  Runs like shit on red.  Green had an optimized driver on day one.  Red will have one too by the time 6 gets released.

Wrong.

Horrendous is correct.  Yes I have had several red cards in the past.  They were huge pieces of shit.  The card I bought was over a year old.  Guess what, the driver in the CD that came in the box contained the save version that was "current" to AMD's site.  LOL!

Kodak was one of the pioneers of photography.  How are their current cameras doing?

Consumers... that's funny.  Now testers, they're seeing how AMD is handicapped.  Oh I forgot, how dare I say cache is PART of number crunching.  Head out of your ass.

Keep telling yourself that.  It won't make it so, but if it helps you sleep better, be my guest.

gta 5 runs perfect on one of my 280x's..60 fsp smooth ultra settings no problem but i am only at 1080p.

cpu:i7-4770k    gpu: msi reference r9 290x  liquid cooled with h55 and hg10 a1     motherboard:z97x gaming 5   ram:gskill sniper 8 gb

Wrong.

gta 5 runs perfect on one of my 280x's..60 fsp smooth ultra settings no problem but i am only at 1080p.

No offense but he just looks like a straight up troll. 

Intel 4790 K - R9 295X2 - Gigabyte Z97-SLI - Corsair Vengeance Pro Black 1866 CAL9 - Corsair HX 1000 -Samsung 850 EVO SSD - Samsung HDD - H100I - Corsair C70 - G400 Logitech - Asus VS247H - WASD custom mechanical and QCKPAD! 

Staples of LTT: Getting an 4690 K will resurrect your lost family members, AMD = More heat thus AMD = Satan. 

So let me recap... you want a card that beats the 980TI/Titan X to be 400? Are you insane? Do you realize AMD basically put out a better GPU than anything Nvidia has for cheaper? 

You can buy an air cooled blower style (lol) 980TI or you can get a better card that comes with a free watercooler. 

Making new GPU's doesn't mean shit when it's utter garbage like the GTX 960. 

The Fiji Pro chip doesn't beat the 980 Ti or Titan X from all the benches we've seen thus far. To be taken with a grain of salt for sure, but there's no reason to think that it outperforms the 980 Ti or Titan X. That would be the Fiji XT / Fury X which is poised $600+. The Fiji Pro card should cost ~$450 imo since the next card down is the R9 390X which is basically just a 290X with an unnecessary extra 4GB of GDDR5.

And how is the GTX 960 utter garbage? It slightly outperforms the R9 285/R9 280 it competes against, so it seems just fine to me. With Maxwell's memory compression its effective memory bandwidth is similar to the GTX 760, and in other regards it's more powerful (and in games it gets better framerates)... so how exactly is it a bad card? It does well for a $200 card IMO o__0

The 770 was just a 680 and the 760 was just a 670 also isn't the 670 (and 760) just a 580?

The GTX 770 was an improved GTX 680, and the GTX 760 was a slightly cut down GTX 670, IIRC.

Neither of them had any relation to a GTX 580 though, completely different architecture. The GTX 400 and 500 series were Fermi cards while the GTX 600 and 700 series (except for 780 and 780 Ti) were Kepler, which was much more efficient than Fermi.

I only cared about the Fury card and right now i'm waiting for the benchmarks, before i voice my opinion

Hardware: Intel I7 4790K 4Ghz | Asus Maximus VII Hero Z97 | Gigabyte 780 Windforce OC | Noctua NH-U12P SE2 | Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB | Seagate 500Gb 7200Rpm | Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | Noctua NF12 | SupremeFX 2014 | Patriot Viper 3 16GB.

Gaming Gear: Cooler Master TK Stealth | Sennheiser PC350SE | Steelseries Rival | LG IPS23L-BN ' 5ms | Philips Brillians 144hz