R9 390X teardown reveals that it's a complete 290X rebrand

Bouzoo

I think that 28nm being around for so long completely threw them off, and the just couldn't invest the way Nvidia could. They probably put too many horses on the next node.

this

it would be absolutely foolish to release an entire brand new r9 300 series line on the 28nm process when nvidia already did this about 9 months ago, which was *still* pretty silly considering how old 28nm is going to be by next gen's release

amd wasting all the money they don't have on new cards for the 300 lineup is a bad idea, we & amd know nobody is happy with the rebranding right now, but it's for the best.

my money is on 400 series being an entire new lineup on a new node, with Zen being released etc.

amd knows what they're doing.

Abigail: Intel Core i7-4790k @ 4.5GHz 1.170v / EVGA Nvidia GeForce GTX 980 Ti Classified  / ASRock Z97 Extreme6 / Corsair H110i GT / 4x4Gb G.Skill Ares 1866MHz @ CAS9 / Samsung 840 EVO 250Gb SSD / Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200RPM / NZXT H440 Blue / EVGA SuperNOVA 750w G2

Peripherals: BenQ XL2411z 24" 144hz 1080p / ASUS VG248QE 24" 144Hz 1080p / Corsair Vengeance K70 RGB / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD650 / Schiit Audio Modi 2 / Magni 2 / Blue Yeti Blackout

Well, another useless generation for AMD it seems..

I bet the card will perform the same again... *sigh*

Another year of Nvidia..

Why are people hating on this? Rebrands aren't that bad. Its now a lower tier card with a lower offical price which means in 3 months the 390x will likely cost $250. Thats insane value, and 2 of these will destroy a 980 for the same price. Its like buying either a used 30,000 mile BMW for $15,000 or buying a base price ford fiesta for $17,000

Finally my Santa hat doesn't look out of place

Not to mention most of their cards are fucking GCN 1.0. Seriously, that thing came out in 2011! A 4 year architecture! What the hell AMD...

I do believe that the R9 380X will be GCN 1.2 though (like the R9 285). 

PS: the R9 290/x is GCN 1.1.

The only GCN 1.0 card is the 370. (And maybe the 360?  Or is that based off the 265?)

380 and 380x are both tonga and are GCN 1.2

The 390 and 390x are GCN 1.1

Fury etc are all 1.2 (or 1.3???)

Low end cards using old hardware makes sense.  The x70 series got bumped down to R7, which is considered non-enthusiast tier.

They moved it down the tier though and it wasn't a 1:1 copy. 

680 vs 770

Around 30% higher BioShock infinite framerate

They do this with drivers.  The 960 was beating the 780 in recent titles too because of it.

4K // R5 3600 // RTX2080Ti

Where's the brandy.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

What made AMD think this was a good idea? They virtually forfeited the CPU market and now they're doing the same with the GPUs. The only appealing thing about AMD is price and even then I'd rather save up and get Intel and Nvidia.

People have got it and decided to play dissection. We knew it but now we can clearly see it. As it turns out, it has the exactly same PCB, the same components and placement (even though I suspect some changes with the components since they allegedly lowered the TDP and temps). The article even claims it has the same silicon.

I was one of those people defending them that they maybe changed the silicon or some components and seems I was wrong.

15050616849l.jpg

amd-radeon-r9-290x_pcb.jpg

15050616592l.jpg

290X_Rear.jpg

And there we have it. What else is there to say? Even the benchmarks show us a minimum improvement. What do you think?

I know it's impossible to ask, but please try not to make this another 100+ post thread about AMD vs NVIDIA. Ty.

Source

My 2 cents:

R9 390 and R9 390X will be based on the “Grenada” graphics processing units, which are claimed to be improved versions of the “Hawaii” chips with higher clock-rates and revamped architecture. I would say wait for the reviews to come in before counting them out.

Example

http://www.kitguru.net/components/graphic-cards/anton-shilov/amd-radeon-2015-roadmap-leaks-whole-lineup-now-revealed/

For someone that already has a R9 or HD7000, it's a minor bump in performance. Anyone else looking for a newer card should get the R9 Fury series or just wait. Its been said before, but AMD does not have deep pockets and they are competing against two companies (Nvidia and Intel). They don't have money to make new architecture every 9-12 months. That said, Nvidia & Intel don't either.

Why are people hating on this? Rebrands aren't that bad. Its now a lower tier card with a lower offical price which means in 3 months the 390x will likely cost $250. Thats insane value, and 2 of these will destroy a 980 for the same price. Its like buying either a used 30,000 mile BMW for $15,000 or buying a base price ford fiesta for $17,000

Your analogy made no sense at all. If 2 290x's equal a used beemer a single 980 would be more likely to be a brand new one. If topgear is anything to go by from when they used forensics to look at a used car.....I'd rather just buy the new one...unless you like vaginal fluids and cocaine in your car with rolled up buggers.

MainRig- CPU: 4790k, RAM: 32gb 2400mhz, MOBO: Maximus Formula VII, COOLING: Full EK cooling, GPU: Titan X SLI, PSU: 1200w evga , STORAGE: 250gb SSD, 4TB hybrid CASE: 760T, EXTRAS: Sleeved cables

SecondRig- CPU:4690K, RAM: 16gb 1600mhz, MOBO: Maximus Gene VII, COOLING: H105, GPU: 970ftw, PSU: EVG650W,  STORAGE: 250gb SSD, 3TB, CASE: 540air 

Steam: pizzatime6 Plus two other pc rigs and a craptop.

Guys, the 390X has blue on the caps and the 290X has red. 

390X cooler card confirmed? 

What is hype may never die - Cleganebowl 2016

Your analogy made no sense at all. If 2 290x's equal a used beemer a single 980 would be more likely to be a brand new one. If topgear is anything to go by from when they used forensics to look at a used car.....I'd rather just buy the new one...unless you like vaginal fluids and cocaine in your car with rolled up buggers.

Hey if you can afford a BMW you can afford Richard Hammond's Hazmat suit

Finally my Santa hat doesn't look out of place

Guys, the 390X has blue on the caps and the 290X has red. 

390X cooler card confirmed? 

Cooler and slower :P

PMSL

Hey if you can afford a BMW you can afford Richard Hammond's Hazmat suit

HAHA YES! Someone who actually watched that episode. lol In all seriousness AMD drivers havent been that great. However I'd have to go with what Linus said in the past "I'd rather have one powerfull gpu's then two weaker ones". Pretty sure he said this not sure which youtube vid though. I agree I'd rather not deal with the pitfalls of a sli or crossfire setup and have just one gpu that does the job, instead of two. 

MainRig- CPU: 4790k, RAM: 32gb 2400mhz, MOBO: Maximus Formula VII, COOLING: Full EK cooling, GPU: Titan X SLI, PSU: 1200w evga , STORAGE: 250gb SSD, 4TB hybrid CASE: 760T, EXTRAS: Sleeved cables

SecondRig- CPU:4690K, RAM: 16gb 1600mhz, MOBO: Maximus Gene VII, COOLING: H105, GPU: 970ftw, PSU: EVG650W,  STORAGE: 250gb SSD, 3TB, CASE: 540air 

Steam: pizzatime6 Plus two other pc rigs and a craptop.

Who cares. Fermi and Kepler went through a similar re-branding. 

We are spoiled children that expect brand new architecture every year for an entire line-up of products...which is what's unrealistic. 

Well AMD has to do new stuff. This is the 2nd time they rebadged these GPU's

The cards probably get just as hot and use just as much power..

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

no, the 3xx series is a complete rebadge / rebrand from 2xx, there is absolutely no new chip

no, the 3xx series is a complete rebadge / rebrand from 2xx, there is absolutely no new chip

Yes there is: The Fury. The naming convention it's stupid I get that, but don't pretend they're a different release they were presented simultaneously and will be released simultaneously as well.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Yes there is: The Fury. The naming convention it's stupid I get that, but don't pretend they're a different release they were presented simultaneously and will be released simultaneously as well.

ahahah, no! Fury is it's own thing

there is not 3xx Fury, just Fury ;) Fury is under the R9 series tho

ahahah, no! Fury is it's own thing

there is not 3xx Fury, just Fury ;)

You're just arguing semantics, good luck with that.

-------

Current Rig

-------

semantics? wait .. what!?  :blink:

I'm arguing that 3xx is a complete rebadge / rebrand - not even AMD, on stage, presented teh Fury series as being part of 3xx series  :lol:

The fact remains, all the R9 3** cards are re-badged R9 2** cards.

PMSL

We are spoiled children that expect brand new architecture every year for an entire line-up of products...which is what's unrealistic. 

Except they didn't...

1) A few of the cards in Nvidia's lineup were rebadges but not all of them.

2) They changed the number down so the #80 became a #70.

3) AMD are now rebadging cards that have already been rebadged once before.

Those are 3 very big differences that you can't just sweep under the rug.

Except they didn't...

This,  people like to bring up that nvidia re-badge too, and while that's true the big difference is that while nvidia re-badge one or two cards in each series, AMD have re-badged and entire lineup of mostly already re-badged cards.  I'm not going to pick on someone for not being happy about that. 

with all these re- badgers I expect to see a dam soon. :blink:

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Wasn't there once a rumour of a Hawaii XTX core with 3072 shaders?

Yes, and there were rumours we might see it as 390X, but now we know better. Maybe 390XXX?  :o

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

Except they didn't...

The only card that was rebadged once before is R7 370. I'm not sure why moving the number down is important. The number is not what determines performance when you have it in your computer. The could have called the Fury an R5 330 for all I care.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit