GTX 980M Vs GTX 980M SLI?

kiicki

Is the GTX 980M SLI a showoff, or will that improve your game much better?
Is a single GTX 980M good enough for games like Crysis and GTA V to get around 60 FPS on Medium/High settings?
If so, is it worth it to pay for a SLI when the laptops also comes with G-sync?

Mobile GPU? SLI? What? :o

Regular human bartender...Jackie Daytona.

Yes Mobile GPU, and yes SLI. And G-Sync

It is a thing.

Yeah, high end bulk laptops can run GPUs in SLI.

Yeah a single one is plenty for 1080p gaming at high settings. Ultra is pushing it for the newest releases though.

MSI GT80 Titan

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

I wouldn't recommend a laptop with 980SLI since they already cost 2K, seems pretty redundant.

Regular human bartender...Jackie Daytona.

Yeah, high end bulk laptops can run GPUs in SLI.

Yeah a single one is plenty for 1080p gaming at high settings. Ultra is pushing it though.

Yes, I'm not to worried about playing on ultra settings, and 1080p is more then good enough for me.

Since I will only use one monitor, the single card should be good enough.

Do keep in mind that 2 980Ms will lessen the battery life. But one is fine for 1080p gaming at high settings. 2 980Ms will wreck any game so if it's a gaming laptop that will be plugged in 90% of the time go for the SLI 980Ms.

My Buyer’s Guide!   

Build:                                               

CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate RAM: Kingston Fury White Series 8GB SSD: OCZ 100 ARC 240GB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB Motherboard: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition Graphics Card: Powercolor PCS+ R9 390 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) Power Supply: EVGA G2 750W Monitor: LG 29UM67-P 29" 21:9 Freesync Sexiness Mouse: Razer Deathadder ChromKeyboard: Razer Blackwidow 2014 Headset: Turtle Beach Ear Force XP400

MSI GT80 Titan

ew.

My Buyer’s Guide!   

Build:                                               

CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate RAM: Kingston Fury White Series 8GB SSD: OCZ 100 ARC 240GB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB Motherboard: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition Graphics Card: Powercolor PCS+ R9 390 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) Power Supply: EVGA G2 750W Monitor: LG 29UM67-P 29" 21:9 Freesync Sexiness Mouse: Razer Deathadder ChromKeyboard: Razer Blackwidow 2014 Headset: Turtle Beach Ear Force XP400

ew.

Not what your mo.. Nevermind.

How so? Is it the keyboard? :P

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

MSI GT80 Titan

There are other laptops with 980M SLI that isn't even close to how expensive the MSI GT80 Titan is.

Is a single GTX 980M good enough for games like Crysis and GTA V to get around 60 FPS on Medium/High settings?

it'll certainly increase performance, but I struggle to understand why anyone would want a laptop like that. as far as I am concerned, the point of a laptop is portability, but the 980m SLI laptops are not portable, and can't really be carried in a backpack between classes. a LAN rig makes a lot more sense, and will perform better at a lower budget.

There are other laptops with 980M SLI that isn't even close to how expensive the MSI GT80 Titan is.

That was the only laptop I knew of the top of my head that has SLI 980M's

Yes, I'm not to worried about playing on ultra settings, and 1080p is more then good enough for me.

Since I will only use one monitor, the single card should be good enough.

Yep, the single card smashes most games on a single monitor at 1080p.

To be honest only the newer games don't handle well on ultra, most of the oldies will run on ultra fine.

Have fun! :)

That was the only laptop I knew of the top of my head that has SLI 980M's

Nah there are a heap, and they are thinner and prettier too.

Edit: oh top of head :P

Not the keyboard, but the laptop looks retarted. I would actually be embarrassed to own one.

A single 980m (heck even a 970m) should be enough to play most games at 60fps, 1080p with decently high settings

You can get pretty slim light laptops with a 970m or slightly thicker with a 980m,  - sli laptops are VERY heavy and chunky

it'll certainly increase performance, but I struggle to understand why anyone would want a laptop like that. as far as I am concerned, the point of a laptop is portability, but the 980m SLI laptops are not portable, and can't really be carried in a backpack between classes. a LAN rig makes a lot more sense, and will perform better at a lower budget.

I have an 18.4" laptop, its more portable than you would think

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Laptops are meant to be light and easy to carry around. The Titan is...not that.

Not only is the thing heavier than most 4 year old children, it eats through battery like I did with your Mo...nevermind. I just think it is just way too much for a laptop and a desktop is probably the better option to those who actually want to buy one...

My Buyer’s Guide!   

Build:                                               

Do keep in mind that 2 980Ms will lessen the battery life. But one is fine for 1080p gaming at high settings. 2 980Ms will wreck any game so if it's a gaming laptop that will be plugged in 90% of the time go for the SLI 980Ms.

Yes, but I always plug in my laptop when playing so that wouldn't be an issue. And when not gaming, I could turn on the battery saving mode by a button or something 

Not the keyboard, but the laptop looks retarted. I would actually be embarrassed to own one.

This guy knows what's up!

I do like the keyboard though.

My Buyer’s Guide!   

Build:                                               

Yes, but I always plug in my laptop when playing so that wouldn't be an issue. And when not gaming, I could turn on the battery saving mode by a button or something 

If you actually read the whole reply I said if you are the kind of guy that has his PC plugged in a lot go with the SLI 980Ms.

My Buyer’s Guide!   

Build:                                               

Laptops are meant to be light and easy to carry around. The Titan is...not that.

The Titan is also unlike any laptop on the market. I'm certain MSI does not intent on people using this during their commute to work, for example. It's "portable", but not in the same sense as a more "traditional" laptop.

As for battery life; good lord, who would game on battery with it? Plug it in for god's sake.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

On topic: 980M SLI seems to perform better.

Not sure if that justifies the usually interesting looking laptops it comes with.

It will probably drain battery a lot.

Nah there are a heap, and they are thinner and prettier too.
Edit: oh top of head :P

yeah man, i swear no bing was used in the process.

Not only is the thing heavier than most 4 year old children, it eats through battery like I did with your Mo...nevermind. I just think it is just way too much for a laptop and a desktop is probably the better option to those who actually want to buy one...

That's true. It's just a gimmick.

I have an 18.4" laptop, its more portable than you would think

The reason many peple think that a laptop with 980M SLI cannot be carried around, is because of the MSI GT80. Not every 980M SLI laptop weights that much. I have a laptop from 2012 that probably weights the same as the 980M SLI laptops today. I don't have any problem to move that one around. 

And if you really want to compare it to a desktop, well. You would need to take your monitor, keyboard, PC and all the cables. Even tho the laptops is a bit heavy, it's still 1000x easier to move than a desktop. And since I move my laptop around often, I need a laptop. And moving around a laptop that weights 3KG is not that big of a deal, that people think. 

The reason many peple think that a laptop with 980M SLI cannot be carried around, is because of the MSI GT80. Not every 980M SLI laptop weights that much. I have a laptop from 2012 that probably weights the same as the 980M SLI laptops today. I don't have any problem to move that one around. 

And if you really want to compare it to a desktop, well. You would need to take your monitor, keyboard, PC and all the cables. Even tho the laptops is a bit heavy, it's still 1000x easier to move than a desktop. And since I move my laptop around often, I need a laptop. And moving around a laptop that weights 3KG is not that big of a deal, that people think. 

yeah I know, I have an Alienware M18xr2 - that said I am looking to replace it with something smaller and lighter, but yes its 100000x easier than moving a desktop

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii