UK Car Insurance for Young Drivers

Zonked

Hello;

(This mainly only apply to people in the UK, as I am not sure of the cost of car insurance to young drivers in any other country)

So I am 19 and I passed my driving test fairly recently, the obvious next step is to buy a car and start driving. This issue is that I am getting quotes between £3000 - £6000. Which is obviously ridiculous! Is there any tips you guys use to reduce it, or is their specific insures or schemes that I should be looking at?

I am trying to insure a Peugeot 206 LX 1.1l 2001. My best quote was £1700 from Tesco which I am fine with paying, but I have now lost that quote and they are now quoting me £2900.

Any help would be awesome,

Rob

Case Bitfenix Shinobi | CPU - i5 3570K @ 4.2Ghz | Motherboard -  Asus P8Z77 | GPU - 7870 | PSU - Corsair CXM 600w | 
Harddrive - Seagate Barracuda 1Tb x 2 | SSD - Samsung 840 256Gb | Cooling - Custom 2x Dual 120mm Radiator, Watercooling Loop |

Ultimate Programming Resources Thread ||| CompSci Masters Degree Student and Professional Java and C# Programmer

Ignore this reply - logistical issue. Thanks mods.

Case Bitfenix Shinobi | CPU - i5 3570K @ 4.2Ghz | Motherboard -  Asus P8Z77 | GPU - 7870 | PSU - Corsair CXM 600w | 
Harddrive - Seagate Barracuda 1Tb x 2 | SSD - Samsung 840 256Gb | Cooling - Custom 2x Dual 120mm Radiator, Watercooling Loop |

Ultimate Programming Resources Thread ||| CompSci Masters Degree Student and Professional Java and C# Programmer

Best Tip- buy a motorcycle. im the same age give or take and i have an sv650s, first year insurance £750 (third party, fire and theft) ive just renewed it for £380 (third party, fire and theft)

Other than that there is nothing you can do, your in a high risk age group and have no NCD.

PC Builder, Engineer... BACON    Project Cobalt: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/38058-project-cobalt-copper-piping-laser-etching-and-more/#entry489258

| NZXT Switch 810 | i5-3570k | gigabyte UD-5H | Corsair Vengeance 8gb ram | GTX 670 | 2x 60gb intel 330 series ssd's in raid 0 | 1tb seagate barracuda hdd | Corsair tx750m | XSPC razor GPU and CPU waterblocks | XSPC d5 vario pump | Thermochill Pa140.3 | phoyba 280mm radiator | Chromed Copper tubing |

can the same go for american insurance because the area i live in i neeeeeddddddd a car but my uncle doesnt want me to cuz of insurace

Space Journal #1: So Apparently i  was dropped on the moon like i'm a mars rover, in a matter of hours i have found the transformers on the dark side of the moon. Turns out its not that dark since dem robots are filled with lights, i waved hi to the Russians on the space station, turns out all those stories about space finding humans instead of the other way around is true(soviet Russia joke). They threw me some Heineken beer and I've been sitting staring at the people of this forum and earth since. 

can the same go for american insurance because the area i live in i neeeeeddddddd a car but my uncle doesnt want me to cuz of insurace

the problem in the uk is it is a legal requirement to have insurance so we get rectally penetrated if we want a car at <21 years old.

PC Builder, Engineer... BACON    Project Cobalt: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/38058-project-cobalt-copper-piping-laser-etching-and-more/#entry489258

| NZXT Switch 810 | i5-3570k | gigabyte UD-5H | Corsair Vengeance 8gb ram | GTX 670 | 2x 60gb intel 330 series ssd's in raid 0 | 1tb seagate barracuda hdd | Corsair tx750m | XSPC razor GPU and CPU waterblocks | XSPC d5 vario pump | Thermochill Pa140.3 | phoyba 280mm radiator | Chromed Copper tubing |

That's insaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaane  :o I'm just about to pay mine (Australian) and it's $590 for 3rd party insurance (required), $250 for rego (obviously required) and $300 to insure my actual car. I just have a 2000 Hyundai Excel.

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

My wife was in the same boat so the insurance is in my name and she is a listed driver which reduces the cost significantly. about $360 a year full comprehensive. 96 excel sprint

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

the problem in the uk is it is a legal requirement to have insurance so we get rectally penetrated if we want a car at <21 years old.

same here it is completely required and for the most part i don't get any type of insurance except medical and dental the rest of the insurance companies are like your ISP's and phone

Space Journal #1: So Apparently i  was dropped on the moon like i'm a mars rover, in a matter of hours i have found the transformers on the dark side of the moon. Turns out its not that dark since dem robots are filled with lights, i waved hi to the Russians on the space station, turns out all those stories about space finding humans instead of the other way around is true(soviet Russia joke). They threw me some Heineken beer and I've been sitting staring at the people of this forum and earth since. 

Take a look at this http://www.ingenie.com/

Thanks for that - gave it a try but still £2700. I tried a black box scheme with the Co-Op and I got £1200 which was good, but that seems to have fluctuated to £3000 now

Thanks for that - gave it a try but still £2700. I tried a black box scheme with the Co-Op and I got £1200 which was good, but that seems to have fluctuated to £3000 now

I guess it will go down in time, depends on how you drive.

What about family insurance? If you have a girlfriend or sister with insurance, partnering with them may lower your cost.

CPU: Intel 2700k (4.7) MOBO: Asus P8Z77-V DELUXE GPU: Sapphire Vapor-X R9 290X RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengence (1866) CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i w/ 2x Noctua NF-F12 Storage: 256GB Samsung 830 Pro SSD (Boot), 64GB Crucial M4 (SSD Cache), 1TB WD Black Cavier, 2TB Hitachi, 2.5TB Buffalo Sound Card: Xonar Essence STX Case: Corsair Graphite 600t w/ full acrylic side PSU: Corsair HX750 (individually sleeved) 
Peripherals: Filco Keyboard (Brown) Razer Deathadder, Sennheiser HD595, Zalman ZM-MIC1, Steelseries Qck Mass mousepad.
Pics of my Rig

I am trying to insure a Peugeot 206 LX 1.1l 2001. My best quote was £1700 from Tesco which I am fine with paying, but I have now lost that quote and they are now quoting me £2900.

I don't really know but keep looking, I was 19 when I insured my 1.4 306 and that was £1,660.

Bloody insurance

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

Hi zonked i live in the uk i passed my test at the age of 18 and i was paying £1800 for a 1l corsa and that was with my dad as the first driver u will be lucky to find a quote under 2k as a first time driver.

i am currently 21 so 3 years driving now i bought an astra 1.6 sri couple a months ago my insurace is 2k now and my dad is still first named driver.

when u hit 21 it comes down a few hundred but u realy have to be 25 not to be ripped off un the uk

get a road legal tractor or quad bike, seriously they insurance on these is really low compared to a car.

Or go to confused.com

All quote are auto saved and are valid for 30 days

----Ryzen R9 5900X----X570 Aorus elite----Vetroo V5----240GB Kingston HyperX 3k----Samsung 250GB EVO840----512GB Kingston Nvme----3TB Seagate----4TB Western Digital Green----8TB Seagate----32GB Patriot Viper 4 3200Mhz CL 16 ----Power Color Red dragon 5700XT----Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl ----Corsair RM850w----

There's not really much you can do, insurance is expensive.

CPU: AMD FX-8350 | CPU Cooler: H80i | Motherboard: Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0 | RAM: 8GB Kingston Beast 1866MHz

Case: Define R4 | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 780ti | PSU: Corsair CX600M | SSD: 250GB Samsung 840 EVO

.... and a Partridge in a pear tree!