FCC head says all phones should come with theft-prevention features

xrM8ef1.png

Not surprising that the FCC wants to push for something like this, going off the back of just how damn useful Actiivation Lock has been for Apple devices and now that Google and others are implementing their own anti-theft systems. 

I mean honestly, you can't even steal an iDevice anymore without knowing the account password, its a proper brick without that and Apple sure as hell won't help you unless you bring proper proof of purchase. Anything that decreases theft of devices is hardly a bad thing, IMHO the FCC shouldn't have to tell companies to do this since it should be done from the off. 

The recommendations come from the FCC's Technical Advisory Committee, which distributed them through its Mobile Device Theft Prevention Working Group. Wheeler's public comments, the FCC says, are intended to push the wireless industry into acting on the recommendations sooner rather than later. The move would clarify disparate laws about phone theft and create a national framework that all phones sold in the US would use.

If the FCC's advice is indeed adopted, mobile users would need to actively disable the theft-prevention features on their own devices. While this opt-out system wouldn't necessarily make it harder for thieves to snatch a phone from a pocket or a bag, it would ensure you'd be able to delete photos, files, and personal information on your phone before criminals can crack into it.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/6/12/8769851/fcc-phone-theft-prevention-remote-lock-data-wipe

it works the same with Mcafee antivirus app on andriod, same features that's just listed . if thats the case it drains battery a lot to keep checking the phone for theft regularly. 

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

it works the same with Mcafee antivirus app on andriod, same features that's just listed . if thats the case it drains battery a lot to keep checking the phone for theft regularly. 

Please don't tell me you wanted that Mcafee app on your phone

Please don't tell me you wanted that Mcafee app on your phone

i had it for over a year on my phone, once i figured  probably won't lose my phone after 1 year mark, i just uninstalled it.  

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

i just uninstalled it.  

Thank Gaben!

or people could stop being dumb and walking away from their phone or being careless with it. i have yet to loose a phone so i am sitll trying to figure it out. some people i guess just dont fire on all cylinders. 

CM Storm Switch Tester MOD (In-Progress) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/409147-cm-storm-switch-tester-macro-mod/

Ammo Can Speaker 02 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/283826-ammo-can-speakers-02/       A/B Switch V 0.5 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/362417-ab-switch-v0

Build 01 - The Life of a Prodigy -  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/13103-build-01-the-life-of-a-prodigy/             Build 02 - Silent Server 3000 - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/116670-build-02-silent-server-3000/

Thank Gaben!

why ?

Spoiler
Spoiler

PCPartPicker 

why ?

Its Mcafee, enough said!

or people could stop being dumb and walking away from their phone or being careless with it. i have yet to loose a phone so i am sitll trying to figure it out. some people i guess just dont fire on all cylinders. 

people loose stuff, careless or not, or get mugged, that's pretty selfish to say they should be more careful, no one loses their phone on purpose, because "careful" is a subjective concept. 

Spoiler
Spoiler

PCPartPicker 

Its Mcafee, enough said!

i'm using Mcafee on my PC for over 8 years now, i'm fine, thanks for asking.

Spoiler
Spoiler

PCPartPicker 

i'm using Mcafee on my PC for over 8 years now, i'm fine, thanks for asking.

People only complain about it because of the "free" trial, which is annoying from any antivirus. If you have a standard, business or enterprise version running quietly in the background and on your own terms, then it's really quite powerful. Not troublesome at all. (though it seems to require pretty beefy hardware if set to always on.)

People only complain about it because of the "free" trial, which is annoying from any antivirus. If you have a standard, business or enterprise version running quietly in the background and on your own terms, then it's really quite powerful. Not troublesome at all. (though it seems to require pretty beefy hardware if set to always on.)

for me which ever works, when i got my PC, a pre built one had already installed OS and had mcafee on it, since then i've stuck to that, i didn't find the need to switch to something else. and we are going off topic. 

Spoiler
Spoiler

PCPartPicker 

I left my phone on the tarmac of a race track after a day at said track driving. It wasn't malicious. It wasn't intentional. It was an honest mistake. Only reason i got it back was because we had another event at the track the next morning, and the phone was still sitting on one of the railings where I had parked. So I got pretty lucky. 

People make mistakes. Shit happens. I don't know what "don't fire on all cylinders" has to do with it. You're acting as if you've never made a boneheaded mistake. 

I left my phone on the tarmac of a race track after a day at said track driving. It wasn't malicious. It wasn't intentional. It was an honest mistake. Only reason i got it back was because we had another event at the track the next morning, and the phone was still sitting on one of the railings where I had parked. So I got pretty lucky. 

People make mistakes. Shit happens. I don't know what "don't fire on all cylinders" has to do with it. You're acting as if you've never made a boneheaded mistake. 

cant say ive made a mistake in reguards to leaving something. 

CM Storm Switch Tester MOD (In-Progress) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/409147-cm-storm-switch-tester-macro-mod/

Ammo Can Speaker 02 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/283826-ammo-can-speakers-02/       A/B Switch V 0.5 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/362417-ab-switch-v0

Build 01 - The Life of a Prodigy -  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/13103-build-01-the-life-of-a-prodigy/             Build 02 - Silent Server 3000 - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/116670-build-02-silent-server-3000/

Since we're calling people dumb, how about that capitalization and spelling?

+1

Well you're certainly making tons of mistakes in your attempt at using the English language so maybe its not appropriate to call out others for "not firing on all cylinders".

Lastly, not all phone theft is due to leaving it somewhere. If you're walking around with a $700-$1000 phone on you there's plenty of bums/crackheads that wouldn't mind assaulting you for it then attempt to pawn it.

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

Oh yeah? How about this: we'll demand all phones to be equipment with theft protection if they are also all equipped with encryption and other government agencies shut the fuck up about it.

-------

Current Rig

-------

I had a theft prevention idea that involves explosives (napalm is preferred)...

safety pin on phone... should it get snatched, the pin is pulled out and 10s is alloted to reinsert the pin... upon failure, the phone will explode or catch fire...

to find suspect, look for someone with a freshly burned burned or severed hand or other freshly injured body part...

I have been a victim of phone theft before...

The downside to the Ilock feature with hand me down phones where family member didn't turn off the lock so I can't clean the phone properly and can do nothing about it...

Everything you need to know about AMD cpus in one simple post.  Christian Member 

Wii u, ps3(2 usb fat),ps4

Iphone 6 64gb and surface RT

Hp DL380 G5 with one E5345 and bunch of hot swappable hdds in raid 5 from when i got it. intend to run xen server on it

Apple Power Macintosh G5 2.0 DP (PCI-X) with notebook hdd i had lying around 4GB of ram

TOSHIBA Satellite P850 with Core i7-3610QM,8gb of ram,default 750hdd has dual screens via a external display as main and laptop display as second running windows 10

MacBookPro11,3:I7-4870HQ, 512gb ssd,16gb of memory

Eh, people lead different lives.  I'm sure you've done stuff that we can't wrap our heads around.  Doesn't make it good or bad.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers