What would it take to make a new ISP?

Hi Everybody, I have always had this question, but I can never seem to find the answer, and i think its because the government is hiding it from us (Not really). The question is what would it take to make another ISP, or to not be reliant on someone else to provide your internet? How would you go about making an ISP for yourself, to fuck over Comcast and all the other ISP's? What would it take, and what would you have to do to get this? and how would it affect the market?

A good amount of money.

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

Like a core ISP like Cogent or a secondary ISP like comcast, if you are trying to make a piering company gg have fun,

to make a secondary ISP like Comcast you just rent out Cogent's supplies and lines then get a support team.

PEWDIEPIE DONT CROSS THAT BRIDGE

Well, as long as youre willing to service the public there is actually government funding to help you get off the ground.  I honestly think, not including salaries of employees, about a half a million bucks could get you started to service a moderate size area of ~100,000 (like maybe a Lexington, KY area).  But, I would suggest if you wanted to do this, do it in a community that is desperate for a jump start in businesses, usually much smaller in size.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

A butt tonne of money... Anything which can be threatening to the big guys profit is crushed pretty fast if you don't.. see it happen all the time.

I don'T PreSS caPs.. I juST Hit THe keYboARd so HarD iT CriTs :P

Quote or @dzzope to get my attention..

First you need a country without many barriers to entry, which is hard soo nope.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

Billions

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Billions

Why use Billions, when you can use Millions

"Life's too Short, Use Express Install" Express install subject to spying
                                        -Microsoft 2015

Why use Billions, when you can use Millions

Because it will probably cost billions? :D

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Gotta own a gold mine to run a silver mine...

Comcast is a publicly traded company, so if you had the money you could just buy it and run it however you see fit.

Because it will probably cost billions? :D

tumblr_inline_mn28tnWmeN1qz4rgp.jpg

System/Server Administrator - Networking - Storage - Virtualization - Scripting - Applications

Okay it won't cost billions of dollars. It depends on your location. There are many ways to go about this and can be done for less than half a million dollars. It depends how big of an area you want to serve as well. That being said good luck getting the city to approve you ... (Big ISPs fund your local candidates elections).

I dont know if OP is trying to say he wants to start his own ISP business or if he wants to (and i thought of this too)  Just tapping into the damn internet.

Like i want to run cable from my house to where ever the connection box or server or what ever.  let me plug straight into the internet and not have to rely on an ISP at all.  you would just have to fork up the funds of running (i assume) fibre op cable from your house to the internet.

i hope you guys get what im trying to say,  long story short,  I (and i think OP)  dont want to start a business, we just want raw internet.

I dont know if OP is trying to say he wants to start his own ISP business or if he wants to (and i thought of this too)  Just tapping into the damn internet.

Like i want to run cable from my house to where ever the connection box or server or what ever.  let me plug straight into the internet and not have to rely on an ISP at all.  you would just have to fork up the funds of running (i assume) fibre op cable from your house to the internet.

i hope you guys get what im trying to say,  long story short,  I (and i think OP)  dont want to start a business, we just want raw internet.

I would love to get internet without having to deal with shit Comcast service.

I would love to get internet without having to deal with shit Comcast service.

Comcast's service has nothing on the shittiness level of Dish

Welcome to LTT! Feel free to PM me if you just wanna chat, I love conversation!

If you ever have any audio questions, wether it's software, hardware, or production and theory, feel free to ask me. Odds are I can help you, or get you help. 

Depends on how big of an ISP you're talkiing. There's a lot of people that go out to rural areas and create W-ISP. All they do is purchase a circuit and a block of IP's from one of the big guys, Level 3, ATnT, ETC...  Then they hook up their equipment and divvy out service to rural customers. That's of course an extremely barebones explanation of it, but that's really all you need to be an ISP.... a customer base and a connection upstream.