Put multiple bootable ISO's on one Flash Drive?

obsidian1200

Hey forum,

Pretty simple question, though the answer might not be, but how would I go about writing three ISO images to a flashdrive and have them all bootable? For example, my Windows 7 Pro DVD, my Windows 8 Pro DVD, and Ubuntu 12.10. I know how to make three flash drives, and I was thinking this might be as easy as creating three partitions and using something like Win32diskimager for each disk and partition would work, but I'm not sure if that's all or if I would have to install some sort of bootloader so I could boot into each image.

If anyone has any insight, experience, or suggestions about this, I'd appreciate it :)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but judging by how, for instance, the Windows 7 USB download tool only allows you to mount one ISO on to a flash drive implies that it isn't possible or isn't widely supported.

Need to make 3 different partitions and install the iso to each separate partition. 

<p>Mobo - Asus P9X79 LE ----------- CPU - I7 4930K @ 4.4GHz ------ COOLER - Custom Loop ---------- GPU - R9 290X Crossfire ---------- Ram - 8GB Corsair Vengence Pro @ 1866 --- SSD - Samsung 840 Pro 128GB ------ PSU - Corsair AX 860i ----- Case - Corsair 900D

If your only using linux distros then try UNetbootin http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net

i9 25.6 GHz with NeuronThreading, 256gb 6000 MHz RAM, GTX 990 OC 3024MHz 12gb, Skeletal X99 motherboard, 1 Petabyte SSD, Fractal Design Humaniod R1 Case, Herbivore 10,000W PSU, Noctua NF16 LP Derma Cooler.

Probably the only Star Citizen player who is planning on a career in Journalism instead of piracy, mining, trading, exploration, military, station management, etc.

Generation 0: The first time you see this add 1 to the number and copy it into your sig. Consider it a social experiment.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but judging by how, for instance, the Windows 7 USB download tool only allows you to mount one ISO on to a flash drive implies that it isn't possible or isn't widely supported.

I can almost see this as being a thing, but if you can establish multiple drive letters/paths on a single device (which I've done), other imagers will work just fine. I believe the way that the Windows 7 USB Download Tool does its thing is that it only works with a singular partition, hence why you can't write multiple ISOs through that program. I could be wrong here, though.

Need to make 3 different partitions and install the iso to each separate partition. 

How about selecting and booting into those partitions? I know with my current setup of Ubuntu and Windows 7, I get a bootloader screen that asks me which OS to boot into. Any ideas on doing this with a flash drive?

most flash drives don't support multiple partitions, so no you can't

Except the flash drive in question, the one I'm using, currently has 3 partitions on it. So, yeah, the partitioning thing won't be holding me back.

If your only using linux distros then try UNetbootin http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net

Unfortunately, I'm hoping to be able to do this with a Linux Distro and 2 Windows Distros (might throw a dedicated GParted partition on there too, who knows), more or less as a venture of curious more than necessity.

Except the flash drive in question, the one I'm using, currently has 3 partitions on it. So, yeah, the partitioning thing won't be holding me back.

It might if your motherboard doesn't recognize them.

It might if your motherboard doesn't recognize them.

That's why I'm asking about bootloaders. My motherboard doesn't recognize them, yet I'm able to boot into a Windows 7, Windows 8, and Ubuntu environment all stored on the same physical drive with the help of the GRUB bootloader. So I don't see how motherboard compatibility would be an issue if a functional bootloader exists.

• 2 weeks later...

It might mean a bit of work, but look into Grub4Dos, you can use it to chainload the bootsectors of whatever media you want (no guarantees it will work), you might have to make some mods to the ISO's to get them to work 100%. I used to do this personally at work, cause I got fed up of people nicking all my CD's, but even this was a pain to setup and maintain!

if you want something a little different, I suggest looking at acquiring one of these (http://isostick.com/), the boot selector doesn't always work on certain devices, but you can manually set media to load via a text file, that option has never let me down!

As a final alternative, if you use an external HDD, the multiple partitions approach will work (pendrives only present the first partition to be bootable), but you'll still need a bootloader (EXTLINUX, Grub4Dos, Grub, etc)!

I've used the single iso version of this and its works fine, never tried the multiboot one though,

windows: http://www.pendrivelinux.com/yumi-multiboot-usb-creator/

linux: http://www.pendrivelinux.com/multiboot-create-a-multiboot-usb-from-linux/

The windows link works great for me. Thanks!

HTTP/2 203

i think you can do this with cds with a program i have forgotten the name but i will see if i can find it 

If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough it will be believed.

-Adolf Hitler 

you could something like xboot 

If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough it will be believed.

-Adolf Hitler 

If you had a bootloader you could.

Console optimisations and how they will effect you | The difference between AMD cores and Intel cores | Memory Bus size and how it effects your VRAM usage |
How much vram do you actually need? | APUs and the future of processing | Projects: SO - here

Intel i7 5820l @ with Corsair H110 | 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 1600Mhz | XFX Radeon R9 290 @ 1.2Ghz | Corsair 600Q | Corsair TX650 | Probably too much corsair but meh should have had a Corsair SSD and RAM | 1.3TB HDD Space | Sennheiser HD598 | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro | Blue Snowball

I used YUMI + Penlinux for a little bit, but a pain switching boot to windows and linux.  Have to manually move files before booting.

I was going to try one of these: Zalman ZM-VE200 

... in the end, I left ubuntu on a small thumb drive.... and the rest windows and software on a external hdd.

Sorry, not much help here  :unsure:

My Rigs (past and present)

USB live media was not really set up for having multiple copies across one USB.

Personally if you really want to carry them around 8GB generic USBs are fine to use and cheap. Get a pile of them and you are good for lots of live usbs etc

Arch Linux on Samsung 840 EVO 120GB: Startup finished in 1.334s (kernel) + 224ms (userspace) = 1.559s | U mad windoze..?

most flash drives don't support multiple partitions, so no you can't

Every flash drive supports this. It's a matter of "does the OS you're using support multiple partitions on removable media". In Windows, the answer is (sadly) no.