Is 2TB enough?

davidarad02

I'm looking to build a new gaming pc, and I was going threw the parts, and then I got to storage, and the Seagate 2tb seemed like a good bang for the buck, but then I saw that the 3tb version is not that more expensive, So I wondered if 2tb is enough, or should I go for the extra storage, so this is what im asking you guys. Is 2TB enough, or should I jump to the 3TB model?

Btw,I will have a 250gb crucial bx100 as well, so no need to recommend adding an ssd.

Quote me if you want to say something. Only way i'll see something.

2TB is regarded as more reliable.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Try getting a 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD instead of a 2TB HDD...

2TB is nice but maintaining its performance can get troublesome...

i've never been able to fill up my 2tb drive, but i'm also that kind of person who deletes stuff after i'm done using it. 

ayy lmao ayy lmao ayy lmao ayy lmao ayy lmao ayy lmao ayy lmao ayy lmao ayy lmao

It honestly depends on how much you want to store :P

for me 3tb is still a tiny amount, for some its more than they will ever need

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I'm looking to build a new gaming pc, and I was going threw the parts, and then I got to storage, and the Seagate 2tb seemed like a good bang for the buck, but then I saw that the 3tb version is not that more expensive, So I wondered if 2tb is enough, or should I go for the extra storage, so this is what im asking you guys. Is 2TB enough, or should I jump to the 3TB model?

Btw,I will have a 250gb crucial bx100 as well, so no need to recommend adding an ssd.

Get the biggest and the best quality that you can afford. As far as size goes, I'm using 8TB of data, but my folks cant fill one. 

My arsenal: i7-9700k Gaming Rig, an iPhone, and Stupidity.

Try getting a 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD instead of a 2TB HDD...

2TB is nice but maintaining its performance can get troublesome...

What do you mean by "troublesome"? Do you mean that it's performance can drop after use more Than a 1tb drive?

Quote me if you want to say something. Only way i'll see something.

it can take the whole  world in

I didn't know what to put here...

What do you mean by "troublesome"? Do you mean that it's performance can drop after use more Than a 1tb drive?

Fragmentation is a thing... and with bigger drives, it can turn out to be horrible when left unchecked...

2TB is fine, but be sure to perform defragging regularly to maintain performance...

Fragmentation is a thing... and with bigger drives, it can turn out to be horrible when left unchecked...

2TB is fine, but be sure to perform defragging regularly to maintain performance...

Fragmentation really only becomes an issue with constantly writing and removing lots of large files.

Even then, just defrag regularly - mines scheduled for once a month on my main system.

Fragmentation isn't much of an issue since the later revisions of NTFS 3.1, especially from Windows 7 onwards and the way the newer OS' interact with NTFS.

Theres also the option of ReFS has all sorts of great tech that makes fragmentation less of a problem.

Windows 7 onwards is by default scheduled to run defrag on mechanical drives so shouldn't really be something 95% of personal users need to worry about.

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO + 4 Additional Venturi 120mm Fans | 14 x 20TB Seagate Exos X22 20TB | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA