Are bass heavy headphones bad for gaming?

PCNOOB123

I am currently in the market for a new pair of headphones. I listen to allot of bass and was wondering if it also makes a difference for PC gaming

PS. My budget is 150$CAD so also leave suggestions for headphones

Things like explosions may over-power other aspects of the game.

It sort of depends on the headphone + the game though.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

I am currently in the market for a new pair of headphones. I listen to allot of bass and was wondering if it also makes a difference for PC gaming

I don't believe it matters, a good sound stage and tolerable sound reproduction is what your looking for. 

The hyper x cloud 2 are a good pair of gaming headsets.

Spoiler

CPU intel potato2 | Motherboard xpotato69 | RAM DDRPotato | GPU potato 6969 Ti | Case potato curbiide | Storage WD potato GB grey | PSU lakesonic 69 potato Watts | Display(s)69" 0.5K potato 69*69 | Cooling 4 heatpipe fried potato | Keyboard 69 key potato switches | Mouse yukon gold potato | Sound 6.9 surround potato | Operating System OS69 potato

CPU I7 5700HQ |  RAM 8gb DDR3 | GPU GTX 960M | Storage 1 TB HGST HDD | Display 15.6" 1080p IPS panel | Keyboard Steelseries RGB | Operating System Windows 10

CPU R7 3800x |  RAM 32 GB 3200MHZ DDR4| GPU RX 5700XT Ref. | Storage 1TB m.2 NVME, 2x 500GB SSD, 4TB and 750gb hdd | Display LG 32GK850F-BKeyboard Aorus K7 with reds | PSU Corsair RM750X | Case Corsair 275R | Operating System Windows 10

Footsteps can be harder to hear, but if you wanna have big explosions go for it. I still prefer open headphones for gaming, as the bigger soundstage makes it easier to pinpoint sounds/enemies.

surroud sond best for gaming :)

savannah-ga-surround-sounds.jpg

;)

I don't believe it matters, a good sound stage and tolerable sound reproduction is what your looking for. 

The hyper x cloud 2 are a good pair of gaming headsets.

that's a headset not headphones.

Also they work great for gaming, if they are high quality.

Intel Core i7 7770K | 32 GB's Ram 3000MHz | GTX 1080 Ti | 250GB SSD | 3TB 7400 RPM | Sound Blaster Z | ASUS ROG MG278Q | Razer Blackwidow Chroma | Final Mouse 2015 | Blue Yeti | Seinheiser HD 600's | Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro | Aune T1 MK2

that's a headset not headphones.

Also they work great for gaming, if they are high quality.

I assumed that he'll need a mic if he gamed with them.

Spoiler

CPU intel potato2 | Motherboard xpotato69 | RAM DDRPotato | GPU potato 6969 Ti | Case potato curbiide | Storage WD potato GB grey | PSU lakesonic 69 potato Watts | Display(s)69" 0.5K potato 69*69 | Cooling 4 heatpipe fried potato | Keyboard 69 key potato switches | Mouse yukon gold potato | Sound 6.9 surround potato | Operating System OS69 potato

CPU I7 5700HQ |  RAM 8gb DDR3 | GPU GTX 960M | Storage 1 TB HGST HDD | Display 15.6" 1080p IPS panel | Keyboard Steelseries RGB | Operating System Windows 10

CPU R7 3800x |  RAM 32 GB 3200MHZ DDR4| GPU RX 5700XT Ref. | Storage 1TB m.2 NVME, 2x 500GB SSD, 4TB and 750gb hdd | Display LG 32GK850F-BKeyboard Aorus K7 with reds | PSU Corsair RM750X | Case Corsair 275R | Operating System Windows 10

I assumed that he'll need a mic if he gamed with them.

I will be getting a mod mic. And can I get some suggestions for headphones in the price I wrote in the op, seriously need help:)

for the price, as gaming headsets go, Hyper x cloud 2 would be your best bet. They're really comfortable, like wearing a cloud.

What I did though was I got a pair of ATH-M40x (99$ at amazon). They're good flat response headphones. Then I bought a pair of memory foam earpads, and a xonar DGX 5.1 sound card. Then you can setup your range to your heart's desire.

Current rig: CPU: i5 4460; MoBo: Asrock H81m-VG4 r2.0; GPU: Zotac GTX 960 Metal Gear Solid; RAM: Kingston Hyper X Fury 8GB: PSU: Cooler Master VS 500; Case: Cooler Master N200 Window; Heatsink: Cooler Master Hyper 212x; 

I will be getting a mod mic. And can I get some suggestions for headphones in the price I wrote in the op, seriously need help:)

AKG K240 if you want something open, or ATH-M30x-40x if you want closed. (don't know if you can find the 40x's at 150 cad)

for the price, as gaming headsets go, Hyper x cloud 2 would be your best bet. They're really comfortable, like wearing a cloud.

What I did though was I got a pair of ATH-M40x (99$ at amazon). They're good flat response headphones. Then I bought a pair of memory foam earpads, and a xonar DGX 5.1 sound card. Then you can setup your range to your heart's desire.

You should probably at least read the posts he said he has a mod mic.. also that's a horrible combo and he wants bass. Sound cards won't do anything for you in terms of sound quality on those.

Intel Core i7 7770K | 32 GB's Ram 3000MHz | GTX 1080 Ti | 250GB SSD | 3TB 7400 RPM | Sound Blaster Z | ASUS ROG MG278Q | Razer Blackwidow Chroma | Final Mouse 2015 | Blue Yeti | Seinheiser HD 600's | Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro | Aune T1 MK2

AKG K240 if you want something open, or ATH-M30x if you want closed.

You should probably at least read the posts he said he has a mod mic.. also that's a horrible combo and he wants bass. Sound cards won't do anything for you in terms of sound quality on those.

To OP. 

He is the man when it comes to music. You should listen to him. Or better yet, everyone should. Unless everyone wants to get shot down when you give a suggestion. Just saying. :)

Current rig: CPU: i5 4460; MoBo: Asrock H81m-VG4 r2.0; GPU: Zotac GTX 960 Metal Gear Solid; RAM: Kingston Hyper X Fury 8GB: PSU: Cooler Master VS 500; Case: Cooler Master N200 Window; Heatsink: Cooler Master Hyper 212x; 

I don't know if alot of people use gamescom headsets but.. I have a gamescom 780 I bought over a year ago and the sound quality has been very good. I think they're 70 or 80$ now, I'm not sure. The mic on it is decent aswell. Look up some reviews on it, you might like it.

To OP. 

He is the man when it comes to music. You should listen to him. Or better yet, everyone should. Unless everyone wants to get shot down when you give a suggestion. Just saying. :)

I wasn't trying to be insulting just saying you shouldn't buy a sound card with that.

I wasn't trying to be insulting just saying you shouldn't buy a sound card with that.

"You should probably at least read the posts; also that's a horrible combo" is not equal to " just saying you shouldn't buy a sound card with that."... unless I've been asleep for the past couple of years and etiquette has drastically changed... But what do I know.

Anyway, yeah, at $150, there's a lot of options for you, OP. That's actually quite a lot for a non audiophile.

The ath AD700X is quite good. It has great sound reproduction, no overkill bass and an amazing soundstage (great positional accuracy-great for gamers).

The list price is 189 but resellers are selling as low as 140 with free shipping.

http://www.amazon.ca/Audio-Technica-ATH-AD700X-Audiophile-Open-Air-Headphones/dp/B009S332TQ

Spoiler

Thanks everybody, idk why the m50x's are so appealing when the m40x's have way better value.

You-- how high are you?

You classed the Hyper X Cloud as "not headphones but a headset" to which I proposed that because the mic is detachable and the designs aren't drastically different, the distinction between the two doesn't mean much. Then you have some odd post about not saying anything at all. The two terms aren't mutually exclusive as a headset includes a pair of headphones and a mic. The analogy of squares and rectangles comes to mind.

I just don't- what the hell.

So if I want something to listen to music, and already have a mic and don't want a mic. Why in the world would I buy a headset. Your one of those guys that see's a thread and instantly says "Clouds"! Without reading into the post, the OP wants a nice pair of headphones, not a headset. Is that too hard to understand?

You-- how high are you?

You classed the Hyper X Cloud as "not headphones but a headset" to which I proposed that because the mic is detachable and the designs aren't drastically different, the distinction between the two doesn't mean much. Then you have some odd post about not saying anything at all. The two terms aren't mutually exclusive as a headset includes a pair of headphones and a mic. The analogy of squares and rectangles comes to mind.

It is what it is. Back to the definition, headset = headphone + integrated mic, and that's that. CloudX is a headset, because it's designed with a mic that can be plugged in (thus becomes integrated), and that's that. If one day Sennheiser decided to put a mic on their HD800, then the HD800 becomes a headset. If one day Audeze decided to put a mic on their 2 grand LCD-3, then it's the same thing, LCD-3 becomes a 2 grand (maybe more) headset. The difference is in the design, shape, and function. Nobody said anything about sound quality. There are top of the line headsets in the market that I bet sounds quite good, namely sennheiser 'game' series, audio technica, and others. 

You-- how high are you?

Techncally, as I was learning in Object Oriented Design this quarter, a sqare has the behavior of a rectangle but is not a rectangle. By extension, a headset has the behavior of a headphone but is not a headphone.

QED.

I think you need to learn the difference between a headset and headphones..

Headset = Mic and Headphones

Headphones = Headphones

CPU: AMD FX 9590 @ 4.7 GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 6GB MB: MSI 990FXA-GD80 RAM: 8GB Vengance x4 HDD: Seagate 1B / 8GB SATA3 64MB SSD x2 OD: Blu-ray Writer 16x SATA Black PSU InWin 1200W Modular 80Plus Bronze  Chassis: Strike-X One MATX Tower 

You can buy it and not use the mic and it will function as headphones. A better criticism is that the headset is not near the price point the OP wants. The topic post didn't have any indication that the OP had a separate mic until he specified later in the thread, and the OP not only mentioned music but also stated use for gaming, which in some games it can be useful to have a mic. I was pointing out that the defined division of headset (headphones + mic) and headphones is strange and not important.

Anyways, maybe @TheProfosist can help with the headphone department.

I think your missing the point here, why would I get an inferior headset and pay for the mic when I can get something much better? I wouldn't want to buy a headset just to remove the mic.

It is what it is. Back to the definition, headset = headphone + integrated mic, and that's that. CloudX is a headset, because it's designed with a mic that can be plugged in (thus becomes integrated), and that's that. If one day Sennheiser decided to put a mic on their HD800, then the HD800 becomes a headset. If one day Audeze decided to put a mic on their 2 grand LCD-3, then it's the same thing, LCD-3 becomes a 2 grand (maybe more) headset. The difference is in the design, shape, and function. Nobody said anything about sound quality. There are top of the line headsets in the market that I bet sounds quite good, namely sennheiser 'game' series, audio technica, and others. 

Yes, I just don't understand what the difference becomes or how it is at all relevant when the mic is completely detachable. I derailed the thread, sorry OP.

The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn't understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had.

You can buy it and not use the mic and it will function as headphones. A better criticism is that the headset is not near the price point the OP wants. The topic post didn't have any indication that the OP had a separate mic until he specified later in the thread, and the OP not only mentioned music but also stated use for gaming, which in some games it can be useful to have a mic. I was pointing out that the defined division of headset (headphones + mic) and headphones is strange and not important.

Anyways, maybe @TheProfosist can help with the headphone department.

What he was saying is, the mic will become redundant purchase (yes although it comes in the same package, you still paid for it), if it's not needed.

It's something like this:

- $75 headset = headphone $$ + mic $$

- $75 headphone = all the price goes to the headphone, without paying for any mics

Now if the mic is not needed in the first place, won't it better to get a $75 headphone compared to a $75 headset?