How long do mouses last?

jibroni

I've had two mouses recently which died under similar circumstances: a 3$ microsoft something mouse from goodwill, and logitech g100s. the goodwill mouse lasted about six months, and the logitech just died after about 2.   The strange thing is they both started malfunctioning in similar ways, they wouldn't double click right, and sometimes I'd have to push really hard to activate. 

Is it possible something I'm doing is causing mouse failure? I am a gamer...

..mice*

I still have one from 95 that works but it's a pos. Got a couple that are almost a decade old, current one is ~4 years old. So far I haven't broken a mouse.

My Logitech G5 lasted for years and years, I only replaced it because it was outdated and getting a bit ugly. My current Logitech G600 has been with me for 2½ years now.

my old mouse died because of a switch failure, where the little metal piece under the left and right clock tore slightly leading to a very inconsistent experience. cases like these may be due to what kind of games you play, as I played a bit of torchlight 2 before it dies, where you tend to click much more than other kinds of games, accelerating the death of the switch... 

Cpu: Ryzen 2700 @ 4.0Ghz | Motherboard: Hero VI x370 | Gpu: EVGA RTX 2080 | Cooler: Custom Water loop | Ram: 16GB Trident Z 3000MHz

PSU: RM650x + Braided cables | Case:  painted Corsair c70 | Monitor: MSI 1440p 144hz VA | Drives: 500GB 850 Evo (OS)

Laptop: 2014 Razer blade 14" Desktop: http://imgur.com/AQZh2sj , http://imgur.com/ukAXerd

Could last you forever, could last you a day. Generally the mice will last for a while if you buy it from a reliable source.

Never had a mouse break, using my g400 since 2009, and my MX510 and 518 are still being used, and the came out in like 2005 or before

Email Logitech its possible they will be super nice and replace it anyway

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I have a mouse from 2002 that still works perfectly.

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

Been using my Razer Naga since 2012.  Still going strong.  None of the LEDs have gone out either!

I am still using a 15 year old mouse (that has been used for 12 years now), so long I would say ;)

Are you doing anything weird with your mice?

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

I'm not doing anything strange that I know of.

I live in asia so not going to bother trying to get it exchanged, gonna go buy a new one tomorrow. 

I've had this "HP Wireless optical comfort mouse" for 5 years still works

3 tips to have a good time on the LTT forums | 1. When you reply to someone please quote them | 2. Please follow your threads | 3. Follow the C.o.C 

If you follow these 3 tips you should have a blast.

i'm rather proud of this for some reason. http://imgur.com/6ttS5XZ

I'm not doing anything strange that I know of.

I live in asia so not going to bother trying to get it exchanged, gonna go buy a new one tomorrow. 

You either have the worst luck or abuse the hell out of the mouse.

You either have the worst luck or abuse the hell out of the mouse.

Yeah, can' think of anything.  Maybe I've dropped it a couple of times? Not a regular thing but it's probably happened. I use it for my laptop so it probably gets moved around a bit more than a desktop mouse, but I almost never take my laptop out of my apartment so. 

Yeah, can' think of anything.  Maybe I've dropped it a couple of times? Not a regular thing but it's probably happened. I use it for my laptop so it probably gets moved around a bit more than a desktop mouse, but I almost never take my laptop out of my apartment so. 

I have two mice specifically for laptops and travelling and they've held up very well over the years.

It really depends, some people press buttons much more heavily than others. It's like mechanical keyboards, they have different pressure levels that you need to put on a key for it to actuate. I know someone who is really heavy handed when clicking stuff on the computer. RIP Mouse.

"Have you tried turning it off and on again?"

Code of Conduct ■ Suggestions ■ Report a Bug ■ FAQ with Windspeed36 ■ Useful Links ■ Memes

All depends on the quality of the mouse you have. I tend to go through mice very quickly, though I have been using the G402 for about 9 months now with no issues. 

What do they know of England, who only England know?

"Well that's what I always said I wanted to be remembered for, for being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn"

I haven't had a mouse that lasted me more than six months.

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x (wraith spire prism)

Motherboard: MSI B550 tomahawk

RAM: G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200MHz

GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 windforce(dead, gtx 1080 on the way)

Case: Fractal design define r5 (black icue corsair 220t soon)

Storage: let's not talk about this okay?

It ain't much, but she's mine

As long as it doesn't get caught in a mouse trap it should be good for a couple years.

Unless it's one of those fucking microsoft ones from the 90s, that'll last you for decades. They just don't break...

My Buyer’s Guide!   

Build:                                               

CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate RAM: Kingston Fury White Series 8GB SSD: OCZ 100 ARC 240GB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB Motherboard: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition Graphics Card: Powercolor PCS+ R9 390 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) Power Supply: EVGA G2 750W Monitor: LG 29UM67-P 29" 21:9 Freesync Sexiness Mouse: Razer Deathadder ChromKeyboard: Razer Blackwidow 2014 Headset: Turtle Beach Ear Force XP400

In my experience, mice usually last me an average of 3-4 years. Most of the mice I buy are fairly basic (around the $20-30 range). The fanciest mouse I've ever bought was one that had 4 buttons plus the scroll wheel. To give you an idea of how much I use them, I game around 25 hours per week (50 hours if I have nothing to do the whole week :P ).

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X            | Cooler: Deepcool AK400      | Motherboard: B550 Elite AX V2  | Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 1TB  |

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB   | GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Ti        | Case: NZXT H440 (Red/Black)    | PSU: EVGA 650W G2             |

In my experience, mice usually last me an average of 3-4 years. Most of the mice I buy are fairly basic (around the $20-30 range). The fanciest mouse I've ever bought was one that had 4 buttons plus the scroll wheel. To give you an idea of how much I use them, I game around 25 hours per week (50 hours if I have nothing to do the whole week :P ).

Same here rocking the best Walmart $30 special that I can. As long as its 1000 DPI or above then I don't care what it is as long as it feels good in the palm of my hand. I beat the hell out my mice as well and I get the same general life expectancy of 2-4 years before the mouse clickers stop responding properly or something else goes downhill.

Logitech mice use a softer material and wear quickly. Go thing is replacement feet are relatively cheap.

I bought some 10$ iball mouse, using it over an year and half with no problems. 

I bought some 10$ iball mouse, using it over an year and half with no problems.

All depends on the material of the feet and the surface, as well as your expectations.