MSI working on external graphics solutions with Thunderbolt 3 interface

ahhming

msi_external_graphics_thunderbolt.jpg
With the recent announcement of Thunderbolt 3 which has 40Gb/s of bandwidth or about 5GB/s .

MicroStar International is working on two external graphics processing solutions for mobile and small form-factor personal computers with Thunderbolt 3 interface. Details about the products are little at the moment , but one of the device will be called “Thunderbolt Card Chassis” and another is “Thunderbolt Graphics Dock”. Both products will feature Intel “Alpine Ridge” controller. MSI does not reveal any launch dates at present.

The Thunderbolt card chassis is an external enclosure for desktop-class graphics boards that will likely have its own power supply unit and some other things. It remains to be seen whether MSI will offer such solution as a dwellings for a graphics adapter or as fully integrated external graphics processing device for laptops and SFF desktops.

The Thunderbolt graphics dock is, as the name implies, a docking station with a built-in laptop-class graphics processing unit along with multiple additional I/O ports and other possible extension capabilities (e.g., Gigabit Ethernet). Since such solution uses mobile graphics adapters, it will not provide levels of performance comparable to that of desktop computers. Exact configuration of MSI’s Thunderbolt graphics dock is unknown. A notebook dock designed for gamers could benefit from additional storage and an optical disc drive in addition to a powerful GPU.  (same concept as sony vaio  vpc-z2)

from the picture we can see the connector used is a usb type c / thunderbolt 3
Source:
http://www.kitguru.net/components/graphic-cards/anton-shilov/msi-preps-external-graphics-solutions-with-thunderbolt-3-interface/

I'm more interested in what that GPU cooler is.  :blink:

i7 8086k @ 5.3Ghz / 32GB DDR4 Trident Z RGB @ 3733Mhz / Aorus GTX 1080 11Gbps / PG348Q

There is a way to jerry rig a desktop gpu into a laptop, but it's cool to see them add official support.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

It would be stupid to use a propietary connector when it use the tb3 standard, this product has to use a tb3 certified usb c connection

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

This may actually make me move to a mobile workstation if I ever need to. With something like this and a laptop with a really good CPU, I could have a dock at home ready for me to bring my laptop home for doing hardcore stuff.

just imagine a laptop with nothing but the highest end mobile i7 and like 4 completely seperated thunderbolt ports. Plug in a couple GPU's at home and you'll be good to go. Not having a mobile GPU means a slimmer design as well as a ton of more battery life while your on the go, especially the way CPU's use so little power at idle these days.

Thunderbolt 3 is plenty of bandwidth for a GPU, its 40Gbit/5GByte. PCIe 3.0 x16 is 8GB/s, and no GPU comes close to using that.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

This better damn well work on TB2...

It will, some guy on this site runs a 980 on his MB Pro. I don't remember who.

It will, some guy on this site runs a 980 on his MB Pro. I don't remember who.

@Firearm2112

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

But will it be able to loop back and display on the laptop's screen?

HTID

I'm more interested in what that GPU cooler is.  :blink:

yeah like pop off the bottom cover, take out the wifi module from the pci-e slot and use a pci-e ribbon cable

This better damn well work on TB2...

TB is always backwards-compatible. There'll be a dongle made. Keep your pants on.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

But will it be able to loop back and display on the laptop's screen?

facepalm* YES!

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Good finally 

IntelCorei54670k,Maximus VI Formula,Swift tech H220, 16gigs Corsair Dominator platinums, Asus DCUII GTX 780,1x256 840 evo, 1x 2TB Segate barracuda, Corsair AX 860, 

3 X Noctua NF-F12, 2x Noctua NF A-14, Ducky Shine 3 Blue Leds Blue switches, Razer Death Adder 2012, Corsair vengence 1400  

Still 5GB/s which gimps alot of high end solutions. Should be decent for midrange desktop cards though.

I don't understand what inspired Intel tu feature eGPUs with TB3. All eGPU solutions were denied by Intel with TB1 and 2. Hopefully TB3 will be backwards compatible (with Adapter from USB-C to mDP).

Still 5GB/s which gimps alot of high end solutions. Should be decent for midrange desktop cards though.

5GB/s compared to 8GB/s of pcie 3.0 x16 isn't too shabby - especially when you consider 290x crossfire and sli functions fine on x8 slots, which would be limited to 4GB/s. in theory, 5GB/s is plenty, so long as you're not trying to run more than one eGPU.

Daily Driver:

Case: Red Prodigy CPU: i5 3570K @ 4.3 GHZ GPU: Powercolor PCS+ 290x @1100 mhz MOBO: Asus P8Z77-I CPU Cooler: NZXT x40 RAM: 8GB 2133mhz AMD Gamer series Storage: A 1TB WD Blue, a 500GB WD Blue, a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

Why not integrate the gpu dock into a monitor and just run one thunderbolt cable between the monitor and laptop. The power supply can power the gpu and lcd panel. Less cables boxes and clutter

5GB/s compared to 8GB/s of pcie 3.0 x16 isn't too shabby - especially when you consider 290x crossfire and sli functions fine on x8 slots, which would be limited to 4GB/s. in theory, 5GB/s is plenty, so long as you're not trying to run more than one eGPU.

PCIE 3 is 1GBs per lane. This would be running at x5 in theory. It's going to limit higher end cards.

PCIE 3 is 1GBs per lane. This would be running at x5 in theory. It's going to limit higher end cards.

you're confusing gigabits (Gb/s) and gigabytes (GB/s) a pcie 3.0 lane is 1Gb/s, and even then you need to consider that it's bidirectional, halving the measurable bandwidth in either direction.

Daily Driver:

Case: Red Prodigy CPU: i5 3570K @ 4.3 GHZ GPU: Powercolor PCS+ 290x @1100 mhz MOBO: Asus P8Z77-I CPU Cooler: NZXT x40 RAM: 8GB 2133mhz AMD Gamer series Storage: A 1TB WD Blue, a 500GB WD Blue, a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

This is pretty neat.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

you're confusing gigabits (Gb/s) and gigabytes (GB/s) a pcie 3.0 lane is 1Gb/s, and even then you need to consider that it's bidirectional, halving the measurable bandwidth in either direction.

• v3.0 (8 GT/s):
    • 985 MB/s (×1)
    • 15.75 GB/s (×16)

5x985MB = 4925MB = 4.925GB/s = X5

TB3 is capable of 5GB/s which is a touch higher than x5 PCI-E (x5 is the theory limit but will probably be subject to x4)

"Intel will offer two versions of the controller: one that uses a PCI Express 4x lane to provide two Thunderbolt 3 ports"

Its using the Apline Ridge controller as stated in the original post, "With PCIe 3.0 x4 or PCIe 3.0 x2 links at its disposal" http://www.techpowerup.com/200064/next-gen-intel-alpine-ridge-thunderbolt-controller-detailed.html

Yeah, I can see this being an attractive option for many.  Maybe not for folks that already have a good desktop setup running, but this is a dream come true for something like a hypothetical Surface Pro 4.  Really great ultrabook/tablet with a good CPU and battery life but that'll just never have the room for graphics.  Bring it home and pop it into the dock connected to a dGPU and multi-monitor setup.  For some, this could replace having a desktop machine at all.  It just needs to be as convenient as they're marketing, which... wait and see.

ExMachina (2016-Present) i7-6700k/GTX970/32GB RAM/250GB SSD

Picard II (2015-Present) Surface Pro 4 i5-6300U/8GB RAM/256GB SSD

LlamaBox (2014-Present) i7-4790k/GTX 980Ti/16GB RAM/500GB SSD/Asus ROG Swift

Kronos (2009-2014) i7-920/GTX680/12GB RAM/120GB SSD

• v3.0 (8 GT/s):
    • 985 MB/s (×1)
    • 15.75 GB/s (×16)

5x985MB = 4925MB = 4.925GB/s = X5

TB3 is capable of 5GB/s which is a touch higher than x5 PCI-E (x5 is the theory limit but will probably be subject to x4)

"Intel will offer two versions of the controller: one that uses a PCI Express 4x lane to provide two Thunderbolt 3 ports"

Its using the Apline Ridge controller as stated in the original post, "With PCIe 3.0 x4 or PCIe 3.0 x2 links at its disposal" http://www.techpowerup.com/200064/next-gen-intel-alpine-ridge-thunderbolt-controller-detailed.html

Its true. but it still wont starve the cards. I have seen 780 SLI run on PCIe2 x8 and it was fine (3 FPS difference). Also, amd allows x4 for crossfire, and ive never seen any problems there.

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]