What if there wasn't a "General Discussion" forum section?

ygohome
Go to solution Solved by ShadowCaptain,

getting rid of general would, I believe, end that.  Or maybe they would just use the first forum at the top. ha

If you get rid of General, people will just post shit in the wrong place all over the damn forum

I don't know if this is a good idea, but what if we got rid of the General Discussion subforum?  I was thinking about this as I read the General Forum description:

"Come hang out! Please check other subforums before posting"

and again the broadcast announcement that says:

"Please ensure you post in the correct subforum - please do not dump your thread in the general section.

Posted by Windspeed36"

There is a subforum for each tech topic (I think there is), plus the "Off Topic" to catch most everything else.  Removing "General Discussion" would basically force users to decide which subforum is applicable to the post they were about to create.  

But then, if we get rid of "general", where would I put a post such as this one I'm making now?  So, I can see I have not fully thought this through.  But I don't think it is a terrible idea.

Thoughts?

Thanks

Well then we couldn't post these threads right?

Case: Corsair Carbdie 330R Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P Asus Z97-A CPU: AMD FX-6300 i5 4690K 3.5 GHZ + 212 EVO GPU: ASUS GTX 760 DirectCUII Ram: Corsair Vengeance LP 8gb (2x4gb) HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB PSU: Corsair CX500M
Monitor: AOC Q2963pm 29'' 21:9 IPS Mouse: Mionix Naos 8200 Mousepad: Mionix Sargas 320 Headset: HyperX Cloud Keyboard: Corsair Gaming K70 RGBIKEA Headset/Headphone Holder

General discussions is for topics that are not about a specific subforum but still related to technology and not off topic like cats or something

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Well, General is obviously for threads don't doesn't belong anywhere, but is about tech.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Yes, correct.  My thinking however is that there is a subforum for each tech topic.

Well then we couldn't post these threads right?

Yes, you are right.   I mentioned that in my post.  

didn't say it was a great idea. lol.  But not a terrible idea.

Yes, correct.  My thinking however is that there is a subforum for each tech topic.

Yeah... General discussion is for none specific disscissions that are not considered off topic

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Yeah... General discussion is for none specific disscissions that are not considered off topic

yeah.  But I'm looking right now at the General forum threads and they are all applicable to other subforms.  Topics titled with CPUs, cases, operating systems, etc.  They all pretty much belong in one of the other existing subforums.  I just don't see how those belong under generral discussion.  You are right though in that there are legit general topic tech discussions, but they are very few and far between.  But at the moment I don't see hardly any on the first page that belong.

Being so few legit general discussion threads, should we get rid of general discussion subform and perhaps use off topic instead?  I don't know, but was an idea.

yeah.  But I'm looking right now at the General forum threads and they are all applicable to other subforms.  Topics titled with CPUs, cases, operating systems, etc.  They all pretty much belong in one of the other existing subforums.  I just don't see how those belong under generral discussion.  You are right though in that there arre legit general topic tech discussions.  But at the moment I don't see any on the first page that belong.

Many don't, people don't read the rules or use the forum properly, nothing will change that

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

General discussion is useful for topics like "Non-techie experiences" for example, where it doesn't fit into off topic as it is still a tech based topic, but there is no thread that will support it other than general discussion.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

Many don't, people don't read the rules or use the forum properly, nothing will change that

getting rid of general would, I believe, end that.  Or maybe they would just use the first forum at the top. ha

If you get rid of General, people will just post shit in the wrong place all over the damn forum

ultimate solution?  We post where we ought.

But perhaps we shouldn't reply to threads that are made into incorrect forums, in a way to discourage it?  I'm starting to sound like a tyrant.   Maybe delay replying to such posts until they are relocated to the correct forum?

Besides stuff that clearly belongs to other sections there are time to time stuff that doesn't fit anywhere else. Some main ones being DYI stuff, drones, prebuilds, tips & tricks for building, several of these bigger threads, questions & comments on different eshops...

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

I especially was amused (also a bit embarrassed and shamed) to discover the moderators moved this thread from General to off-topic. Doh.