Working at best buy?

TheKDub

Anyone here work at best buy? or worked at best buy in the past? (either for the main company or geek squad)

If so, what were your experiences like? would you recommend the job?

(I'm looking for a summer job, and currently working at best buy/geek squad seems like it would be one of the better choices in my area, if you suggest a different job, I'd prefer it be working with/on computers! [i'm 16 and located in Michigan if that's any help :P])

--edit1--

I could probably get a job at office depot or micro center, though the nearest micro center is a bit far.. (Like a 30 min drive :/)

--edit2--

Well it looks like best buy is out of the question xD

Looks like the office depot/office max in my area isn't hiring atm, so that's out too..

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Anyone here work at best buy? or worked at best buy in the past? (either for the main company or geek squad)

(I'm looking for a summer job, and currently working at best buy/geek squad seems like it would be one of the better choices in my area, if you suggest a different job, I'd prefer it be working with/on computers! [i'm 16 and located in Michigan if that's any help :P])

Don't think best buy is gonna hire you at 16...

Want a good game to play?  Check out Shadowrun: http://store.steampowered.com/app/300550/ (runs on literally any hardware)

another 12 core / 24 thread senpai...     (/. _ .)/     \(. _ .\)

They could, if you're well qualified.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

I don't know you might get fired if you tell a customer to buy a $700 laptop that's better and faster then the more expensive name brand that has less to offer for $900. Lol all,in all make your bestbuy a good one. A lot of them are horrible and the employees know jack. This BestBuy employee tried telling me the Ps4 was a better choice then a $1,500 ASUS gaming laptop ( I forget the name).

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

I haven't, but haven't had good experiences with them at all.

@beebskadoo if you're lurking... :P

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

I would like to know too, and what qualification you need

I would laugh if you got and job at best buy and told customers to build there own pc's instead. :)

I get to do this, but only because 90% of my customers wouldn't ever bother, so the 10% I tell doesn't hurt sales.

"Ghost"

Intel i5-4690k 4.6 GHz 1.25v | NZXT Kraken x61 | Asus Z97-AR | 2x8GB Kingston HyperX Fury 1866 MHz | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW DT 2050 MHz

NZXT h440 White | EVGA SuperNOVA 850 GS | 2x Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB + Seagate Barracuda 2TB  |Asus VG248QE  | Win 10

Cisco A+ certification then maybe?

Check my signature, I've got 3 of my certifications down there :P

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

I don't know you might get fired if you tell a customer to buy a $700 laptop that's better and faster then the more expensive name brand that has less to offer for $900. Lol all,in all make your bestbuy a good one. A lot of them are horrible and the employees know jack. This BestBuy employee tried telling me the Ps4 was a better choice then a $1,500 ASUS gaming laptop ( I forget the name).

People at frys would usually say the opposite, they say this offer better value for the money.....things like that.

When i was at target, i was looking for some microphones and they recommended to go to BestBuy or Frys......

No.  From my own experiences,  best buy only hires 18+ for multiple reasons, one being insurance purposes.

Personal Rig v3: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X | Noctua NH-U14S | Gigabyte B450 Aorus Pro ITX | Zotac GTX 2070 8GB | 16GB G-Skill Trident DDR4 3200MHz | EVGA Supernova 750B | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX 

Peripherals: Sennheiser HD518 & Classic ModMic | Corsair K65 Luxe | Zowie EC2 | ASUS VG259QM  |  ASUS VG278E | Klipsch ProMedia 2.1

People at frys would usually say the opposite, they say this offer better value for the money.....things like that.

When i was at target, i was looking for some microphones and they recommended to go to BestBuy or Frys......

While some may do that their job is to help you and up sell you. So if they think they can make a sale they will. Some will not up sell but those are often not the top sellers either. 

No.  From my own experiences,  best buy only hires 18+ for multiple reasons, one being insurance purposes.

I got told pretty much exactly this when I went to apply (was 16 like OP at the time)

I got told pretty much exactly this when I went to apply (was 16 like OP at the time)

Well that's poo :/

Compared to some of the people working there, I'd probably be over certified xD

that's what I said...

Want a good game to play?  Check out Shadowrun: http://store.steampowered.com/app/300550/ (runs on literally any hardware)

another 12 core / 24 thread senpai...     (/. _ .)/     \(. _ .\)

Just said it because of all the jo,evs that go around about bestbuy. Some bestbuy employees should not be allowed to work there. They should get a basic test in what area they wanna work in like appliances or technology, if it's PC ask simple stuff like what is ram?

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

Well that's poo :/

Compared to some of the people working there, I'd probably be over certified xD

They don't care about your certs lol they care about how well you can sell and have enough knowledge to sell the products unless you are talking geek squad

They don't care about your certs lol they care about how well you can sell and have enough knowledge to sell the products unless you are talking geek squad

Yeah, I myself haven't had any experience with the geeksquad people (as I haven't had a need to xD I'm my own tech support!), so I can't say how good or bad they are..

But it seems like it could be an interesting job.

Yeah, I myself haven't had any experience with the geeksquad people (as I haven't had a need to xD I'm my own tech support!), so I can't say how good or bad they are..

But it seems like it could be an interesting job.

Interesting sure, fun not really. You get to deal with idiots for half the day, fix viruses up sell and practically talk the customer/victim into paying for shit they don't need or other dumb shit.

Interesting sure, fun not really. You get to deal with idiots for half the day, fix viruses up sell and practically talk the customer/victim into paying for shit they don't need or other dumb shit.

Well, I already deal with idiots for half the day at school :P

Who said I couldn't get people to buy shit they don't need? Hell, if I wanted to, I could probably convince almost any non-techie that norton is the absolute best anti-virus out there xD

Cisco A+ certification then maybe?

A+ isn't Cisco.. it's CompTIA..

FX-8350 | GA-990FXA-UD3 | G.SKILL 2x8GB 1600MHz | 1TB WD RE4 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI R9 290x Lightning | Corsair AX860i | Silverstone FT05B-W

Pentium G3258 | MSI Z97 PC Mate | G.SKILL 4x4GB 1066MHz | 500GB Samsung 2.5" | Stock cooler | Pending GPU | EVGA 500B | Antec DF-35

GoPro Hero 3 Silver | Netgear R7000 Nighthawk with DD-WRT | HP Officejet Pro 8610 | Canon iP110 | AudioTechnica ATR2500 USB

Downdraft cooler for mITX board (new build) | Desk mount mic stand | Pop filter | Anti-vibration mount for microphone | mITX case | 3rd monitor (matching existing 23.1" | Intel Core i7-4790K (for mITX build)

Rule #1 at BestBuy

DON'T LISTEN TO WHAT THEY SAY, IT'S ALL IN YOUR HEAD.

Rule #1 at BestBuy

The only thing I listen to them about is where to find certain things in the store xD (I hardly ever go to best buy, I think I've been there only once or twice this year O.o)

Rule #1 at BestBuy

Try saying that to the Best Buy execs.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D