Carrying an AR 15 through an airport and wondering why police are looking at you

That guy is an idiot. That is not harassment. The lieutenant officer made a very solid point. They have the right to question him, and he had the right not to answer (which he chose not to). He was not detained and no BS went down.

THIS is an issue:

"Rawr XD"

I didn't think people could be this afraid of guns. Yeah the guy in the video may have been acting dumbly, rashly and idiotically, but if he's not breaking any laws, there's no reason for him to be "body slammed" (as so eloquently put by someone posting) because some people are afraid of a few pieces of metal.

I really think people should be educated about guns so they don't fear them, and can make logical decisions and not push for these extreme gun control measures. Heck, some people are afraid of certain guns because they're black or look like something a terrorist held in a video.

I don't do signatures.

Guys like this are the reason that gun laws are so strick. 
And believe me, there are a LOT of people like this. 

Exercise your rights, don't push them.

Spoiler

I7 4790K @4.5 Ghz 1.294V

VALIDATION, MSI Z97 Gaming 7, 24GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix 1070 8GB OC@ 2.2Ghz, Corsair graphite series 760T (Black), Cooler master V850, NH-D15 w/LNA ,1TB Samsung 850 Evo,  480GB Sandisk Ultra II SSD, 3TB Seagate Barracuda x 3, 1 TB WD Passport (Backup drive), 2 TB WD Passport (Backup Drive 2),  Windows 10 Pro x64 (uhg), Logitech G900 Chaos (Main), Steelseries Rival (FADE) (Courtesy of Edzel Yago, Thanks Ed), Steelsieres Rival 300 Hyperbeast Special Edition, Coolermaster Quickfire TKL (MX Blue), Razer Blackwidow Tournament edition (Greens).  Audio: Sennheiser HD598 SE, Edifier S1000DB, AudioEngine D1 DAC; Yamaha MG06X Mixer & AudioTechnica AT2020.

Phones; Daily drivers: Nexus 6P 64GB/iPhone 6 (Music), Apple Watch, Apple AirPods.

Laptop: 2015 Macbook Pro 13, 8GB of RAM, 2.7Ghz i5, 240GB Apple SSD. 

Spoiler

Plex Server: i7 3770, Gigabyte Board, 16GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix GTX 1050ti 4GB, 120GB SSD Boot Drive, 8 x 3TB Seagate Barracuda, Rosewill RSV-R4000 With 2 Rosewill Hot Swap 4x Backplane Bays, 1050 Watt Corsair HX Series PSU,Hyper T2, Windows 10 Pro 

I also do Youtube, check me out!

It's not that I'm scared of the gun, but the person holding them. I trust no one usually, so I'll be avoiding anyone carrying an ar 15 or really any gun to be honest. Like I said before, I don't know what their thoughts and intentions are, and I won't wait around to find out. Most people who carry guns are just being safe, like half of the people that replied to this thread, but for me I wouldn't trust anyone enough to be in the same McDonalds if they walked in with that assault rifle. 

Murica

^

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

I didn't think people could be this afraid of guns. Yeah the guy in the video may have been acting dumbly, rashly and idiotically, but if he's not breaking any laws, there's no reason for him to be "body slammed" (as so eloquently put by someone posting) because some people are afraid of a few pieces of metal.

I really think people should be educated about guns so they don't fear them, and can make logical decisions and not push for these extreme gun control measures. Heck, some people are afraid of certain guns because they're black or look like something a terrorist held in a video.

Guns are fine.  People are scary because they're walking lobotomies.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

Ive carried an AR-15 into an airport. Hell they even put it on the airplane for me.

It was in a case and I checked it. 

Guns are not scary, but this guy clearly has not idea what his rights are or what constitutes harassment. 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

I think it's understandable to be scared because having seen a man walk into an airport with a deadly weapon, especially if you have kids with you. I understand where you're coming from on how we shouldn't be scared of everything but for some people it isn't something you see everyday, I didn't even know it was legal to own one. And at no point in time am I going to be calm when a man decides to walk into an airport with an ar 15. I trust no one and would probably do my best to stay away from him, I don't know what his thoughts/intentions are. If it was a handgun or similar it wouldn't be too bad, since I see people with those sometimes anyways, but an ar 15... there isn't a need to carry that thing into an airport other than to try and look like a badass or similar

A person carrying a gun on their shoulder, isn't likely going to be shooting anyone.

Why you ask?

A few reasons:

1. Anyone intent on mass murder, isn't going to give every single cop and person in the area, time to notice them. They're going to walk in, gun in hand, and start shooting right away.

2. In the time it would take him to move that weapon from his sling to his shoulder, chances are, a cop would shoot him, or someone with a pair of balls who realizes that rifles are less of a threat up close than pistols or knives, is going to tackle him and beat the living shit out of him, until the cops/security guards get over there and do it for him.

This is my point, you have been trained, conditioned, by the pro-big-government people, to fear the sight of a weapon, even when you have absolutely no reason to. That man was making a political statement to this effect. In a crowded airport, chances are, you aren't going to see a terrorist walking in with a gun in hand, why? Because he'd get shot nearly instantly, carrying a gun in your hands in public, is illegal, extremely so, it's called brandishing. And I hate to have to break it to you, there isn't a single object in existence that doesn't qualify under the term "deadly weapon". You can slit someones throat, or choke someone to death, with a blade of grass or a piece of paper. Hell, your HANDS qualify as deadly weapons.

Am I saying don't keep an eye on them? Not at all. But there's no reason at all to freak out about someone obeying the law. It's completely legal to take a gun on a plane, as long as you check it ahead of time and allow security to place their own lock on it (assuring YOU can't unlock it), furthermore, we could assume he didn't own a case, but did own a gun lock (a lock that passes through the action of the weapon, physically disabling it). When approaching law enforcement personnel or security guards, with a weapon, with the intention of checking that weapon or allowing them to check it, it's best to have that weapon visible if you don't have a case for it. I have a concealed carry permit, and I do carry, and when I get pulled over by a cop, before he walks up to the car, I take my gun out, remove the clip, and lock the slide in the back position showing an empty chamber, and place it on the dashboard, so that the officer knows that that weapon is not a threat to him, 99% of the time, they thank you for doing that, as it shows respect. (I do hold my hands out the window, after unloading my gun, in case he see's me unloading my gun, and it makes him nervous)

Fear what you DO NOT see (like a bomb or a knife in someones carry on luggage.), not what you can see, as what you can see, can be anticipated, and to some extent, avoided. They just did a test of the TSA the US, and guess what? 95% of the agents they tested, failed to detect bombs or other weapons not allowed in carry-on luggage.

In the end, when in public, do what I do, be on yellow alert. Trust no one except those travelling with you, and keep an eye on everyone (EVERYONE. Uniformed or not), and keep an eye out for the closest exit, or available cover. It's a stressful skill to maintain at first, then it becomes second nature and you don't even realize you're doing it.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

A person carrying a gun on their shoulder, isn't likely going to be shooting anyone.

Why you ask?

A few reasons:

1. Anyone intent on mass murder, isn't going to give every single cop and person in the area, time to notice them. They're going to walk in, gun in hand, and start shooting right away.

2. In the time it would take him to move that weapon from his sling to his shoulder, chances are, a cop would shoot him, or someone with a pair of balls who realizes that rifles are less of a threat up close than pistols or knives, is going to tackle him and beat the living shit out of him, until the cops/security guards get over there and do it for him.

This is my point, you have been trained, conditioned, by the pro-big-government people, to fear the sight of a weapon, even when you have absolutely no reason to. That man was making a political statement to this effect. In a crowded airport, chances are, you aren't going to see a terrorist walking in with a gun in hand, why? Because he'd get shot nearly instantly, carrying a gun in your hands in public, is illegal, extremely so, it's called brandishing. And I hate to have to break it to you, there isn't a single object in existence that doesn't qualify under the term "deadly weapon". You can slit someones throat, or choke someone to death, with a blade of grass or a piece of paper. Hell, your HANDS qualify as deadly weapons.

Am I saying don't keep an eye on them? Not at all. But there's no reason at all to freak out about someone obeying the law. It's completely legal to take a gun on a plane, as long as you check it ahead of time and allow security to place their own lock on it (assuring YOU can't unlock it), furthermore, we could assume he didn't own a case, but did own a gun lock (a lock that passes through the action of the weapon, physically disabling it). When approaching law enforcement personnel or security guards, with a weapon, with the intention of checking that weapon or allowing them to check it, it's best to have that weapon visible if you don't have a case for it. I have a concealed carry permit, and I do carry, and when I get pulled over by a cop, before he walks up to the car, I take my gun out, remove the clip, and lock the slide in the back position showing an empty chamber, and place it on the dashboard, so that the officer knows that that weapon is not a threat to him, 99% of the time, they thank you for doing that, as it shows respect. (I do hold my hands out the window, after unloading my gun, in case he see's me unloading my gun, and it makes him nervous)

Fear what you DO NOT see (like a bomb or a knife in someones carry on luggage.), not what you can see, as what you can see, can be anticipated, and to some extent, avoided. They just did a test of the TSA the US, and guess what? 95% of the agents they tested, failed to detect bombs or other weapons not allowed in carry-on luggage.

In the end, when in public, do what I do, be on yellow alert. Trust no one except those travelling with you, and keep an eye on everyone (EVERYONE. Uniformed or not), and keep an eye out for the closest exit, or available cover. It's a stressful skill to maintain at first, then it becomes second nature and you don't even realize you're doing it.

You're an idiot. 

These cops did nothing wrong.

And let's assume they didn't watch him from a distance, but instead just let him be. 

Now in this assumption, this crazy guy decides to kill 15 people. Those cops would be scolded to high hell for NOT looking after the public.

If you're out in public with an AR-15 (Legal or not), and are filming you walking around EXPECTING conflict, LOOKING FOR Conflict, there is something mentally wrong with you.

These three cops were very professional, and even told him to have a nice day; but this guy kept on going about how they were harassing him. 

I'm sorry, but if you can't see that this guy was looking for conflict, and TRYING to edge these cops on, you're just as stupid as the guy in the video.

Spoiler

I7 4790K @4.5 Ghz 1.294V

VALIDATION, MSI Z97 Gaming 7, 24GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix 1070 8GB OC@ 2.2Ghz, Corsair graphite series 760T (Black), Cooler master V850, NH-D15 w/LNA ,1TB Samsung 850 Evo,  480GB Sandisk Ultra II SSD, 3TB Seagate Barracuda x 3, 1 TB WD Passport (Backup drive), 2 TB WD Passport (Backup Drive 2),  Windows 10 Pro x64 (uhg), Logitech G900 Chaos (Main), Steelseries Rival (FADE) (Courtesy of Edzel Yago, Thanks Ed), Steelsieres Rival 300 Hyperbeast Special Edition, Coolermaster Quickfire TKL (MX Blue), Razer Blackwidow Tournament edition (Greens).  Audio: Sennheiser HD598 SE, Edifier S1000DB, AudioEngine D1 DAC; Yamaha MG06X Mixer & AudioTechnica AT2020.

Phones; Daily drivers: Nexus 6P 64GB/iPhone 6 (Music), Apple Watch, Apple AirPods.

Laptop: 2015 Macbook Pro 13, 8GB of RAM, 2.7Ghz i5, 240GB Apple SSD. 

Spoiler

Plex Server: i7 3770, Gigabyte Board, 16GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix GTX 1050ti 4GB, 120GB SSD Boot Drive, 8 x 3TB Seagate Barracuda, Rosewill RSV-R4000 With 2 Rosewill Hot Swap 4x Backplane Bays, 1050 Watt Corsair HX Series PSU,Hyper T2, Windows 10 Pro 

I also do Youtube, check me out!

It's completely legal to take a gun on a plane, as long as you check it ahead of time and allow security to place their own lock on it (assuring YOU can't unlock it), furthermore, we could assume he didn't own a case, but did own a gun lock (a lock that passes through the action of the weapon, physically disabling it). When approaching law enforcement personnel or security guards, with a weapon, with the intention of checking that weapon or allowing them to check it, it's best to have that weapon visible if you don't have a case for it. 

Some of this is incorrect. 

You must have a lock of your own. It is a great idea to use non-TSA locks so that they cannot open the case without you present. I have done this several times on a couple different airlines one TSA guy even checked to make sure the locks are not one of theirs. You show up to the check in counter, and declare to them that you are going to check a firearm. They will either have you open the case and show that the firearm is empty and check any ammunition that you are carrying is in an approved container (anything designed to carry ammunition, I have heard of people simply using magazines but this seems like asking for trouble to me), or have a TSA officer come and check the contents. They will fill out a form of the declared firearm and place it in the case which you will then lock (with your own locks), and it goes on the plane like any other checked baggage.

The TSA does not allow you to check a firearm that is not in a hard, locked case. You cannot simply walk up to the check in counter with a firearm and expect them to put it on the plane.

I have never had a firearm come down on the normal baggage carousel, they have always ended up at the airlines customer service counter where you have to show an ID before they will give you the case containing a firearm.  

Here are the TSA rules regarding checking a firearm: http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/firearms-and-ammunition

After a couple of plane rides I got used to them. It's no big deal now, but I was sweating bullets (pun intended) the first time I checked a firearm. 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

That guy is an idiot. That is not harassment. The lieutenant officer made a very solid point. They have the right to question him, and he had the right not to answer (which he chose not to). He was not detained and no BS went down.

THIS is an issue:

Probably would've been even worse for a Muslim guy. Racist bastards. 

Some of this is incorrect. 

You must have a lock of your own. It is a great idea to use non-TSA locks so that they cannot open the case without you present. I have done this several times on a couple different airlines one TSA guy even checked to make sure the locks are not one of theirs. You show up to the check in counter, and declare to them that you are going to check a firearm. They will either have you open the case and show that the firearm is empty and check any ammunition that you are carrying is in an approved container (anything designed to carry ammunition, I have heard of people simply using magazines but this seems like asking for trouble to me), or have a TSA officer come and check the contents. They will fill out a form of the declared firearm and place it in the case which you will then lock (with your own locks), and it goes on the plane like any other checked baggage.

The TSA does not allow you to check a firearm that is not in a hard, locked case. You cannot simply walk up to the check in counter with a firearm and expect them to put it on the plane.

I have never had a firearm come down on the normal baggage carousel, they have always ended up at the airlines customer service counter where you have to show an ID before they will give you the case containing a firearm.  

Here are the TSA rules regarding checking a firearm: http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/firearms-and-ammunition

After a couple of plane rides I got used to them. It's no big deal now, but I was sweating bullets (pun intended) the first time I checked a firearm. 

I was told it's better to let TSA use their lock, as they would likely cut your lock off in order to inspect the weapon.

Admittedly, I'ts been a long time since I've flown, and TSA + terrorists is a big reason for that.

I was told it's better to let TSA use their lock, as they would likely cut your lock off in order to inspect the weapon.

Admittedly, I'ts been a long time since I've flown, and TSA + terrorists is a big reason for that.

They will inspect it with you standing there, that way if your doing anything wrong they don't have to chase you down to tazer you :P

You don't want any baggage guys getting access to your firearm. I've always used non-TSA locks.

They will inspect it with you standing there, that way if your doing anything wrong they don't have to chase you down to tazer you :P

You don't want any baggage guys getting access to your firearm. I've always used non-TSA locks.

Weird. I read an article a while ago, where this semi-big time hunter had his gun damaged and his lock destroyed by TSA. Even though they inspected it when he checked it in.

All I can say is, if that mouthbreather is stupid enough to pull that stunt in my part of the world, he'd end up in the morgue.....pumped full of lead by the cops w/o any outcry from the public at all. Zero tolerance for weapons of any kind here......

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R7 5700X3D (8C/16T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Logitech G915 + G303 Shroud Ed + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Logitech G613 + G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

All I can say is, if that mouthbreather is stupid enough to pull that stunt in my part of the world, he'd end up in the morgue.....pumped full of lead by the cops w/o any outcry from the public at all. Zero tolerance for weapons of any kind here......

Just curious, where is that? No need to be specific if you aren't comfortable with telling me. just a country or even continent is fine

Let's just say that my country has some pretty Draconian laws set in place when it comes to firearms, I have no problem with gun laws here though. For simply possessing a gun of any sort carries a penalty of life imprisonment. Discharging a weapon in public, even as a warning shot, carries the death penalty.....yep, pretty Draconian. I'd said I have no problem with it because it's pretty safe in my neck of the woods. Sure there're armed robberies committed, but these were done with knives or other sort of weapons, no guns involved. Crime rate here is pretty low as well, I'm NOT saying it's absolutely safe, but safer than most other countries.

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R7 5700X3D (8C/16T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Logitech G915 + G303 Shroud Ed + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Logitech G613 + G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

In Britain it basically impossible to carry a gun with you anywhere.

Wait what?!?? How is it legal to carry an assault rifle?

Hey man you never know when the foot clan will randomly attack some helpless citizen. Since he is neither teenaged nor a mutant turtle how else will he fight crime?

On a more serious note: I couldn't finish the video the guy was breathing too heavily. Are you sure it was an AR 15 he was carrying and not a fully loaded horse?

As someone from Britain, I'd be freaked the fuck out if someone walked into an Airport with an AR, and just because its legal in the states wouldn't make me any less freaked.

The guys only intention was the cause controversy. He gives you gun owners a bad name. Is he expecting to have to fight a small militia at some point so he needs the firepower? No. If he feels so insecure about leaving the house without a Rifle as protection he needs therapy.

There's nothing illegal in what he did, but the police have the right to ask the intentions of a man walking into an airport with an AR for no reason beyond I can. Much in the same way I can legally dress as a suicide bomber but I'd still get stopped by the police

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO

i collect airrifles/vintage stuff and i am all for gun laws but please dont be that one guy that thinks its cool to open carry the biggest and most threatening gun!

My pc:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/dvcw23 

(Black Glacier)

My server:

Dual xeon x5679 processors, 24gb of ECC memory, Nvidia quadro 295 NVS and 48tb of storage.  (z600

I really don't see the point of open carry for rifles in areas that aren't near hunting grounds or a range. Pistols, go wild. Rifles? Nah, there's no point, where are you going to go with it? The range? There isn't one there. Hunting? Not near an area for hunting. So why are you carrying a rifle? To be a knob a public. If you're transporting it from one location to another it should be in a case in a vehicle. Not slung around you.

i collect airrifles/vintage stuff and i am all for gun laws but please dont be that one guy that thinks its cool to open carry the biggest and most threatening gun!

Biggest and most threatening? Lulz. An AR-15 is a normal sized rifle. This is not.

Marine_M249_Fire.jpg