Asus Z170 motherboards (update: round up)

The workstation I am on right now is 1155.

Consumer socket workstations are far more common in an industrial environment than enthusiast socket workstations.

Depends on which environment. A simple office then probably a consumer workstation. But with large companies, they won't be using workstation boards based on the consumer socket. They'll be using enthusiast workstation socket, where is support dual and up to 8 physical cpus. And unlike the computers you, I and the rest of us here have, which is in a metal box. Theirs are installed into rack mount cases, which is then stacked up one another. A single rackmount closet can hold up to multiple systems.

flfxig.png

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Depends on which environment. A simple office then probably a consumer workstation. But with large companies, they won't be using workstation boards based on the consumer socket. They'll be using enthusiast workstation socket, where is support dual and up to 8 physical cpus. And unlike the computers you, I and the rest of us here have, which is in a metal box. Theirs are installed into rack mount cases, which is then stacked up one another. A single rackmount closet can hold up to multiple systems.

Lol I am an engineer, and pretty much everyone uses consumer socket workstations. Then for computation heavy tasks, like CFD or FEA we offload that job to a server. In my companies case we have one server with a pair of Teslas. 

It is much cheaper for a company to buy many mid grade workstations and a very powerful server based machine or two, than it is to buy all of engineering high end enthusiast socket workstations. Yes, large companies use workstation boards on the consumer socket, small companies use workstation boards on the enthusiast socket because they don't want to invest in a powerful computational machine. 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

Lol I am an engineer, and pretty much everyone uses consumer socket workstations. Then for computation heavy tasks, like CFD or FEA we offload that job to a server. In my companies case we have one server with a pair of Teslas. 

It is much cheaper for a company to buy many mid grade workstations and a very powerful server based machine or two, than it is to buy all of engineering high end enthusiast socket workstations. Yes, large companies use workstation boards on the consumer socket, small companies use workstation boards on the enthusiast socket because they don't want to invest in a powerful computational machine. 

But your mid-grade workstation doesn't have 4 Teslas, does it? That's what these WS boards are for - extra PCIe connectivity for multiple cards.

But your mid-grade workstation doesn't have 4 Teslas, does it? That's what these WS boards are for - extra PCIe connectivity for multiple cards.

No, but that is not necessarily the only use for the WS boards either. 

The WS boards are far more often used with a single Quadro than a stack of Teslas. Workstations still use WS level boards for the same reason companies use Quadros; reliability (Quadros also are used for program validation, and drivers but those are not really applicable to a mobo). Downtime on a workstation is hugely expensive, so companies will pay a bit more up front to avoid this downtime. 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

No, but that is not necessarily the only use for the WS boards either. 

The WS boards are far more often used with a single Quadro than a stack of Teslas. Workstations still use WS level boards for the same reason companies use Quadros; reliability (Quadros also are used for program validation, and drivers but those are not really applicable to a mobo). Downtime on a workstation is hugely expensive, so companies will pay a bit more up front to avoid this downtime. 

Well that's just dumb then, there is absolutely no reason that board would be any more reliable than their other boards. But sure, it's probably been nice for Asus to milk ignorance like that.

I gotta know on the Zeus board?

http://i59.tinypic.com/6nq9z6.jpg

Where the HELL is the PCI Express ?!!?!?!?!?!

It's a 2012-era concept board. X79 and all.

It has two GPUs soldered on the motherboard, under that huge heatsink. Those packages near the bottom of the board (left side of the photo) are GDDR5 memory.

Edit: Derp.

Well that's just dumb then, there is absolutely no reason that board would be any more reliable than their other boards. But sure, it's probably been nice for Asus to milk ignorance like that.

I agree that the differences are very small, but the WS boards do use higher quality components (capacitors mainly) than the majority of the boards on the market. 

I agree that the differences are very small, but the WS boards do use higher quality components (capacitors mainly) than the majority of the boards on the market. 

True, I can understand shying away from the <$50 bottom of the barrel stuff. But I'm sure there will still be boards with top of the line components.

It's a 2012-era concept board. X79 and all.

It has two GPUs soldered on the motherboard, under that huge heatsink. Those packages near the bottom of the board (left side of the photo) are GDDR5 memory.

Edit: Derp.

I dont get it..... I can have 2 GTX 980s on that little fucker?

Security Analyst & Tech Enthusiast

Ask me anything.

No discrete GPUs in that, the GPUs are built in. Don't remember what it was, probably the best gpu during that time.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

You can have the GPUs that are already built into the motherboard. You can't buy a separate GPU for that motherboard.

This article claims it was a pair of HD 7970s built into the motherboard, but I don't see how the cooling would be sufficient for that. Of course it's just a concept motherboard, so I guess they could get away with it if they wanted to.

• 2 weeks later...

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

I love the color scheme of the new Maximus boards

Current Rig: i5 3570K @ 4.2 GHz, Corsair H100i, Asus Maximus V Gene, Asus GTX 970 Turbo, Patriot Viper Black Mamba 8 GB DDR-3 1600 (2x4GB), Sandisk 120 GB SSD + Seagate 500 GB HDD + WD Blue 1 TB HDD, XFX 750W Black Edition, Corsair 350D - https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/b/cbxrxr

Hate the PCIe layout. Though, at least they got the top slot right, a full 16x should never be at the top. Other manufacturers need to learn to put the first 16x second from the top as well.

But the spacing between the two topmost 16x slots is one too far apart for me. I didn't install a brutal 180mm air penetrator fan in the bottom of my case blowing directly onto the GPU area so I could have a hideous gap in between GPUs.

Is it DDR4, DDR3 or both? If it's DDR3 I'll let my brother know, he might be interested.

The spacing IMO is perfect, allows dual GPU's to actually breath plus you can throw a 1x card in the top and a pcie ssd in the bottom, personally i think they nailed the layout

I wonder what kind of front USB headers we can expect with Z170 mobos. 3.0? 3.1? Type-C?

I wonder what kind of front USB headers we can expect with Z170 mobos. 3.0? 3.1? Type-C?

There are no cases with USB3.1 ports on the front panel anyway, and Z170 doesn't feature native USB3.1.

That gene board looks amazing. mATX is really nice, and more than enough for almost all gamers. It's really interesting to see all these ASUS boards having 110mm M.2 slots. Now we just need some SSD's for it. 1TB nvme M.2 anyone?

Too bad there's only 1 M.2 slot though.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

Because reference or water cooled cards are meant for SLi/ Xfire, anyone using downdraft coolers, and thus 3+ slot cards, are doing it wrong.

By bottom I mean bottom. Of course in addition to front fans.

Reference coolers need to breath too.

Daily Driver:

Case: Red Prodigy CPU: i5 3570K @ 4.3 GHZ GPU: Powercolor PCS+ 290x @1100 mhz MOBO: Asus P8Z77-I CPU Cooler: NZXT x40 RAM: 8GB 2133mhz AMD Gamer series Storage: A 1TB WD Blue, a 500GB WD Blue, a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

oh lord, thos ROG boards, so, sooo sexy. Damn. 

Ryzen 7 5800X     Corsair H115i Platinum     ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi)     G.Skill Trident Z 3600CL16 (@3800MHzCL16 and other tweaked timings)     

MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio    Corsair HX850     WD Black SN850 1TB     Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB     Samsung 840 EVO 500GB     Acer XB271HU 27" 1440p 165hz G-Sync     ASUS ProArt PA278QV     LG C8 55"     Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X Glass     Logitech G915      Logitech MX Vertical      Steelseries Arctis 7 Wireless 2019      Windows 10 Pro x64

Why is it all the heatsinks on the Z170 motherboards look so edgy? None of them have soft edges of curves, it's all super sharp and kinda ugly

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

I really like them Gun Metal Grey heatsink on the ROG boards, its a good move considering the amount of Red and Black Boards, you could easily make a Stealthy rig with subtle red streaks. Though I do wonder if those Heatsinks glow red like on the Z97 ROG boards

Laptop

Spoiler

MSI GS65 Stealth 8SF

Intel Core i7 8750H, Kingston Hyper X Impact 32GB (2x16GB) SODIMM DDR4 2666Mhz RAM (Ugraded from 1x16GB SODIMM DDR4 2666Mhz), Western Digital PC SN 720 512GB NVME SSD & Adata XPG SX8200 1TB NVME SSD, Nvidia RTX2070 Max Q, 15.6" 1920x1080 144Hz

Screen | Keyboard | Mouse

Spoiler

Dell U2718Q 3840 x 2160 60Hz, Sony KD-438300X 3840x2160 TV | HP EliteDisplay E273q 2560x1440 60Hz

Corsair K70 Rapidfire Cherry MX Speed RGB LED | Corsair K70 Vengeance Cherry MX Brown Red LED

Logitech MX Master 2S | Roccat Kone XTD

Phones

Spoiler

Daily Use: Sony Xperia 1 II | Back Up: Sony Xperia Z5 Premium

Audio

Spoiler

IEM: Sony XBA-Z5, XBA-A3, WF-1000XM3

Headphones: Audio Technica ATH-M50x-BT & ATH-SR50-BT, Sennheiser x Massdrop HD6XX (with Antlion Mod Mic), Sony WH-1000XM4

Consoles

Spoiler

Nintendo DSI, 3DS, Switch, Sony PlayStation 4 Slim

Networking

Spoiler

Asus RT-AX86U | RT-AX82U | RT-AX55 (Asus AI Mesh)