[OC3D] 980ti Benchmarked, Reviewed and Official Specs etc.

Blackler

-yawn-

To little to late to be honest, this release really doesn't excite me. Feel like it's nvidias knee jerk reaction to AMDs 390X release (which isn't exciting either IMO)

Excuse me... Is that a typo? Gtx 980 with 3 gb vram?
Mine is 4....wtf??

I'm sure there is some joke about the 970 in there...

-yawn-

To little to late to be honest, this release really doesn't excite me. Feel like it's nvidias knee jerk reaction to AMDs 390X release (which isn't exciting either IMO)

I'm sure there is some joke about the 970 in there...

agree with you.

And Meh, I hope it's a typo and not a lame joke.

The relevance of the TitanX just took a big hit. $350 more for 1fps and the extra 6GB won't get used in a a normal gaming scenario.

If you are on a $2.5k budget or less don't get a TitanX. Getter a better cpu, bigger ssd or monitor.

Question to those that may know. What is the difference between AMD's "Stream Processor" and Nvidia's "Streaming Processor"? This comes from seeing the graph from OC3D I noticed the 22 Streaming Processors on the 980 Ti and the 290x has 2816 Stream Processors and was wondering what the difference between the two are.

Question to those that may know. What is the difference between AMD's "Stream Processor" and Nvidia's "Streaming Processor"? This comes from seeing the graph from OC3D I noticed the 22 Streaming Processors on the 980 Ti and the 290x has 2816 Stream Processors and was wondering what the difference between the two are.

Think of NV CUDA cores being similar to AMD Stream Processors. 

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

Wasn't it the case that the "970 3.5 GB issue" was caused by the disabled SMMs in the 970 compared to the 980. I haven't seen any word about this from any reviewer (not that I read/watch very many), but I'm assuming they fixed the VRAM issue for the 980 TI? 

'Just wondering.

i7 not perfectly stable at 4.4.. #firstworldproblems

Wow. Titan X buyers must be livid. They can't even justify it with "at least I have double precision".

Do you truly think most Titan owners care? It's a penis card. They spent a lot on it. They paid a premium on it to have the full GM chip before anyone else. It has 12GB of VRAM which is useful in rendering scenarios.

More to the point, it's a Titan. People spending 1k on a graphics card are less likely to care that cheaper versions may come later.

OT: Damn. Nvidia firing shots all over the place with this card. Plus the required price slash on the 980 and maybe even 970 as a result.

Damn. For 600-700 bucks...damn. What more needs to be said. This card is straight fire. The awesome kind. Not the temperature Kind.

Wasn't it the case that the "970 3.5 GB issue" was caused by the disabled SMMs in the 970 compared to the 980. I haven't seen any word about this from any reviewer (not that I read/watch very many), but I'm assuming they fixed the VRAM issue for the 980 TI?

'Just wondering.

SMMs were disabled in a weird way to make the 970. AFAIK, the full GM chip to the 980 Ti chip isn't being cut in a weird way.

You don't get double precision or any of the previous titan features in the Titan X.

They still have a faster card with more VRAM though, still a good buy in my eyes.

That was my point is that you don't get double precision.

And 12GB of VRAM basically is irrelevant at this point. I'm sure people can come up with edge cases but 99.99% of gamers don't need that.

If you need a card for rendering then get a Tesla, and if you're budget oriented to the point you are forgoing Tesla drivers and double precision then might as well get a 980 ti.

And the Titan X and 980 ti are basically identical in performance, I've even seen the 980 ti win over the Titan X in OC benchmarks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ap9U4SGJayk#t=0h17m14s

CPU: 5820k 4.5Ghz 1.28v, RAM: 16GB Crucial 2400mhz, Motherboard: Evga X99 Micro, Graphics Card: GTX 780, Water Cooling: EK Acetal CPU/GPU blocks,

240mm Magicool slim rad, 280mm Alphacool rad, D5 Vario pump, 1/4 ID 3/4 OD tubing, Noctua Redux 140/120mm fans. PSU: Evga 750w G2 SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 256GB & Seagate SSHD 2TB Audio: Sennheiser HD558s, JBL! speakers, Fiio E10k DAC/Amp Monitor: Xstar DP2710LED @ 96hz (Korean Monitor) Case: Fractal Node 804

Do you truly think most Titan owners care? It's a penis card. They spent a lot on it. They paid a premium on it to have the full GM chip before anyone else. It has 12GB of VRAM which is useful in rendering scenarios.

More to the point, it's a Titan. People spending 1k on a graphics card are less likely to care that cheaper versions may come later.

OT: Damn. Nvidia firing shots all over the place with this card. Plus the required price slash on the 980 and maybe even 970 as a result.

Damn. For 600-700 bucks...damn. What more needs to be said. This card is straight fire. The awesome kind. Not the temperature Kind.

Speaking of the temperature kind... with the same TDP and 11/12 of the card with even further increased efficiency FUCK this thing runs cold (stock temps are looking at +4-6 C idle and +25-30 C FULL load over room temp).

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

I'm happy with my GTX 980 at the moment. Once a single GPU is released that hits 60fps minimum at 4k, I'll make the jump. But I'm not gonna start bunny hopping to each new card because it's a really bad, but easy habit to get into.

Spoiler
  • Primary PC (Photo editing and gaming on a 4k Monitor): Intel I7 4790k @4.5ghz @1.2v | 24GB  Corsair Vengeance Ram @1600Mhz | 1x Palit GTX 1080 JetStream| 480GB Crucial SSD | 2x WD Blue 500gb | Corsair RM1000 | Corsair 600t
  • Secondary PC (Gaming and watching films on a 42" 4K LG IPS TV @4k60): Inteli7 4790k | Corsair H60 | Asus H81l-plus ITX | 16GB Kingston Hyperx Beast 1600MHz | 1x GTX 980 G1 Windforce| 1x Samsung 1 TB 850 EVO SSD |Corsair CXM750W | Coolermaster Elite 130

:blink:  :blink:  :blink:  :o  :o  :o

Holy crap......that much performance for that price.....jeez, at that price:

1. its going to put some pressure on AMDs upcoming cards

2. Titan X owners must be properly pissed

3. 980 owners....might feel the same way

4. but on the bright side 980Ti owners will feel like they are getting a bargain

Blood-Box (Current) - 4790K @ 4.4GHz 1.175v | MSI Z97M GamingMSI R9 290 TF | 16GB ADATA XPG v1.0 CL9 | patiently waiting on the CoolerMaster MasterCase Pro 3 | Corsair RM650 | Noctua NH-U12S | OCZ Vertex 460 240GB SSD | Seagate 2TB HDD

Feishi (Gift to my bro) - 4770K @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte Z87 UD5H | Gigabyte GTX 760 WFx3 2.0 | 16GB Patriot Viper 3 CL9 | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | Corsair AX750 | Noctua NH-C14 | Seagate 2TB HDD

Well good thing it released when it did I put in a RMA for a refund for my Titan X Hydro. I'm not paying $1200 for this knowing the 980Ti is the exact same and overclocks better. Probably just gonna put my 780 Classy back in for now since nobody wants to buy it. Gonna wait for 390x to come out and probably just switch to AMD. I'm so sick of Nvidia and their garbage of screwing over everybody. They managed to screw over 970, 980, and Titan X owners with this series of cards so I'm over it. 

So 980ti isnt really a half way between 980 and Titan X, its rather close to Titan X.

I guess the price will reflect that.

If the price is right then this card could be the "titan killer" in terms of price/performance.

But coming from Nvidia i doubt thats gonna be the case :( .

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

So 980ti isnt really a half way between 980 and Titan X, its rather close to Titan X.

I guess the price will reflect that.

If the price is right then this card could be the "titan killer" in terms of price/performance.

But coming from Nvidia i doubt thats gonna be the case :( .

I'd say the price is right, it is coming in at $650 for the reference card, and man does this card do some damage:

witcher-3-1600p1.png

http://www.kitguru.net/components/graphic-cards/zardon/nvidia-gtx980-ti-review/14/

"60 fps" on Ultra in the Witcher 3 with HairWorks on after overclocked @ 2560x1600!

I'd say the price is right, it is coming in at $650 for the reference card, and man does this card do some damage.

Edited: $650 is great price. 980ti might be the most excitong card in 900 series then :)

$350 more for some not important features (in gaming) and 6gb vram makes Titan X a terrible card.

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

£549!!!!!!! OMG my wallet loves that price. GIEF ME 2!

I am so glad i never rushed out to buy TitanX's.... because a ref 980ti OC can beat it and often beat 295x2 :)

You have no idea how fucking glad I am this card is below £600.. MY WALLET LOVES THIS PRICE!

See my blog for amusing encounters from IT workplace: http://linustechtips.com/main/blog/585-life-of-a-techie/

You have no idea how fucking glad I am this card is below £600.. MY WALLET LOVES THIS PRICE!

Some non-reference will shoot it up over £600 for sure. But still super cheap compared to titan.

I still like my 780Ti, but this looks like an awesome value!