should i accept the $4K that my mom's offering me to build a pc?

saiftech

Isn't it a better idea to use some of that money to buy a car, maybe even later on. I'd say take half, and ask if the other half can be used towards a car when you'll need one.

Edit: you're already getting a car, i read that now. I'd say only take a part of it, you'll get a lot of fun out of a 1k or 2k PC as well.

Asus B85M-G / Intel i5-4670 / Sapphire 290X Tri-X / 16GB RAM (Corsair Value 1x8GB + Crucial 2x4GB) @1333MHz / Coolermaster B600 (600W) / Be Quiet! Silent Base 800 / Adata SP900 128GB SSD & WD Green 2TB & SG Barracuda 1TB / Dell AT-101W / Logitech G502 / Acer G226HQL & X-Star DP2710LED

Damn wish my parents did something like that.

Make a deal if you get A's instead of just passing if she's hesitant. You'll benefit academically and have a better chance

after i finnish school and the army that i just signed up for

DONT DO IT!!! PLEASE!

Also, just take 1000 for the PC and 500 for future upgrades incase you ever need them and give back the rest

"My game vs my brains, who gets more fatal errors?" ~ Camper125Lv, GMC Jam #15

Take it, build a decent pc then buy something nice for youre mom (something she wants) give the rest of the money back and tell that you love her!

Score 2x :)

Let's agree to disagree

Use the 4K for a 5960X and dual Titan Xs 

Current Rig:   CPU: AMD 1950X @4Ghz. Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360. Motherboard:Asus Zenith Extreme. RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 3666. GPU: Reference GTX 970  SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO.  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB. Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro. PSU: Corsair RM1000X. OS: Windows 10 Pro UEFI mode  (installed on SSD)

Peripherals:  Display: Acer XB272 1080p 240Hz G Sync Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Brown Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB Headhet: Roccat XTD 5.1 analogue

Daily Devices:Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact and 128GB iPad Pro

shit son, all i got for passing my exams was £20 for a A, £10 for a B, 0 for C and I had to pay them for anything below lol.

I get nothing apart from well done.

$100 above budget but worth it:

CPU: Intel Core i7-5960X 3.0GHz 8-Core Processor  ($994.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: Asus RAMPAGE V EXTREME EATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard  ($439.99 @ Directron) 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($97.89 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX Titan X 12GB Video Card (2-Way SLI)  ($999.99 @ B&H) 
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX Titan X 12GB Video Card (2-Way SLI)  ($999.99 @ B&H) 
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case  ($99.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $4100.51
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-05-30 05:41 EDT-0400

Current Rig:   CPU: AMD 1950X @4Ghz. Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360. Motherboard:Asus Zenith Extreme. RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 3666. GPU: Reference GTX 970  SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO.  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB. Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro. PSU: Corsair RM1000X. OS: Windows 10 Pro UEFI mode  (installed on SSD)

Peripherals:  Display: Acer XB272 1080p 240Hz G Sync Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Brown Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB Headhet: Roccat XTD 5.1 analogue

Daily Devices:Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact and 128GB iPad Pro

This is all scenario based. If both your parents are making like $100k+ then get some good grades, impress your parents, and keep the $4k. If your parents are making like a combined $40k then get some good grades, impress your parents, take $2k, build a PC and buy your parents some gifts.

Spend $1500 to $2000 on the PC, save the rest for something else worthwhile.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Spend about $1500-2000 on a pc and either let them keep the rest or keep the rest to yourself.

Second part is up to you. No need to spend that much money on something that will just get you really angry whenever new stuff (CPU's/GPU's) comes out xD

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

I would rather have a car to be honest.

• AMD Athlon X4 760K CPU   |   MSI FM2+ ATX A88X-G45 Motherboard   |   8GB 1600MHz RAM   |   MSI GTX 760 GPU (Reference)
  • Thermaltake Versa H22 Case   |   1TB Seagate, 0.5TB Hitachi (7200RPM)   |   ArcticRed+ 700WStock    |   Windows 8.1

No wonder kids are screwed up....

The Mistress: Case: Corsair 760t   CPU:  Intel Core i7-4790K 4GHz(stock speed at the moment) - GPU: MSI 970 - MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 - RAM: Crucial Ballistic Sport 1600MHZ CL9 - PSU: Corsair AX760  - STORAGE: 128Gb Samsung EVO SSD/ 1TB WD Blue/Several older WD blacks.

Wow, 4K for doing what your supposed to do... Your a lucky duck my friend. Invest it turn that 4 grand in to 4 million! 

I don't know anyone who got anything for passing

Fir enough, and to be honest, neither did I haha. 

if it was from my dad then it would be different id feel ok getting $4K from him but he says hes buying me a car and a jetski!

Are you trolling us? If not what the hell do they do as a job?

take it, but use 1k to get something nice for your parents.

Star Citizen referral codes, to help support your fellow comrades!
UOLTT Discord server, come on over and chat!

i7 4790k/ Bequiet Pure Rock/Asrock h97 PRO4/ 8 GB Crucial TT/ Corsair RM 750/ H-440 Custom/  PNY GT 610

Damn you're like a modular human being. -ThatCoolBlueKidd

$1500-2000 would be more polite to ask for imo.

Born too early to explore the galaxy, born too late to explore the seas, born just in time to make memes.

Are you trolling us? If not what the hell do they do as a job?

Why would you immediately think he's trolling?

It's not uncommon for parents to give their kids graduation gifts. Not to mention $4k isn't an insane amount if your parents have decent jobs.

I don't do signatures.

Why would you immediately think he's trolling?

It's not uncommon for parents to give their kids graduation gifts. Not to mention $4k isn't an insane amount if your parents have decent jobs.

I don't know but 4k + car and jetski seems like a lot of money for a graduation gift.

I don't know but 4k + car and jetski seems like a lot of money for a graduation gift.

Not if the parents have the money. After graduating HS I got promised a new car and paid tuition from my parents when I go to college. And when dad feels too old, he said he'd give his practice plane to "us kids" to take on vacations. For some reason that was tied to me being successful as a human being.

I don't do signatures.

Holy shit. That's wasteful at that point. Anything above 1500$ is flat out waste unless its purpose built

For an actual tower, yeah that's true, but when you consider peripherals, that's not so true.

If you want a pair of good headphones, that's probably gonna be anywhere between $300 and $1000. I spent $350 on my HD650s. Then you'll probably want a good amp, since most high end headphones seem to benefit greatly from one. Add in anywhere between $100 and $400 for that (you can spend more but I don't understand why you would).

If you want a good monitor, that can cost $1500 itself. If you actually care about color quality, then the upper limit to what you can spend on displays is massive, especially if you consider multi-monitor setups.

It's also easy to spend $200 on a keyboard and mouse.

For an actual tower, yeah that's true, but when you consider peripherals, that's not so true.

If you want a pair of good headphones, that's probably gonna be anywhere between $300 and $1000. I spent $350 on my HD650s. Then you'll probably want a good amp, since most high end headphones seem to benefit greatly from one. Add in anywhere between $100 and $400 for that (you can spend more but I don't understand why you would).

If you want a good monitor, that can cost $1500 itself. If you actually care about color quality, then the upper limit to what you can spend on displays is massive, especially if you consider multi-monitor setups.

It's also easy to spend $200 on a keyboard and mouse.

I was thinking just tower when i typed that. Yes, a full set up could cost upwards of thousands of dollars. hell, theres 60K projectors and such, so that price can go up crazy high.

now saying that someone SHOULD spend that much, whole diffrent story

I was thinking just tower when i typed that. Yes, a full set up could cost upwards of thousands of dollars. hell, theres 60K projectors and such, so that price can go up crazy high.

now saying that someone SHOULD spend that much, whole diffrent story

IMO, a pair of sennheiser HD650/HD600s + a $100 amp is totally worth it

I also don't regret buying a 120hz monitor or my triple monitor setup (the other two are $100 1080p TN displays though)

Expensive peripherals can be totally worth it.

IMO, a pair of sennheiser HD650/HD600s + a $100 amp is totally worth it

I also don't regret buying a 120hz monitor or my triple monitor setup (the other two are $100 1080p TN displays though)

Expensive peripherals can be totally worth it.

I agree 100%, I love how i splurged on my headphones, getting m50s(splurging for me vs in ears). but this guy is going to the army, so he will not be able to use any of this gear for years besides for a few months most likely