Fire and Ice, Full AMD 7970 Quadfire Rebuild (56k Warning)

who cares if its a waste or not... it's his money!! and 4 gpus is what alot of "benchmarkers" use, so he could be doing alot of benchmarks.

someone could have a ferrari sitting in his garage just because he can! and i would still love it, alot of ppl do!

yeap for me thats still a waste of money too but i would still appreciate him showing us photos of it!

-Corsair Carbide 500r + TX-750w V2 | Asus P5Q Deluxe + Intel Core2Duo E8400 @ 3.8Ghz + 2x2GB G.Skill DDR2 1066mhz

-Sapphire HD4890 1GB DDR5 (New Edition) + 1x Intel SSD 330 120GB + 2x Seagate Barracuda 500GB SlimSinglePlate (RAID0)

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmm.... I don't like the blue and red theme. You should get some red fans... Blue is overused.  Also you should try to do some more cable management... Things look a little crazy as they are now.

why the CPU? so bad in comparison to a 8350, might want to upgrade

I originally built the rig when bulldozer launched, this was just a rebuild as it was an open air test bench for the longest time, Vishera was not enough convincing for me to upgrade, especially considering at 5760 x 1080 resolution the difference between the chips is less then 5-8FPS. If I was gaming at a lower resolution like 1080P then yes I would, however its just not worth it and I would rather wait for steamroller.

I originally built the rig when bulldozer launched, this was just a rebuild as it was an open air test bench for the longest time, Vishera was not enough convincing for me to upgrade, especially considering at 5760 x 1080 resolution the difference between the chips is less then 5-8FPS. If I was gaming at a lower resolution like 1080P then yes I would, however its just not worth it and I would rather wait for steamroller.

didn't know the higher resolution would hinder the CPU, good to know, and I really hope steamroller can give intel competition, I don't want to see this retarded haswell shit anymore

Hmmm.... I don't like the blue and red theme. You should get some red fans... Blue is overused.  Also you should try to do some more cable management... Things look a little crazy as they are now.

The one wire heads to the side panel, not much you can really do with it, its hidden when the side panel is closed, the top wires above the cpu cooler head to the back and plug in via a molex adapter  for the lights, I could use some simple split loom tubing to clean that up, with the graphics cards they are linked cables  so the dual 8pins are connected on the same length, the advantage is you need less cables running around, however you do get the "loops" around the cards, Id rather take the former as running 8 stranded cables is far more bulky then just running the 4 linked connectors.

Any tips for improvement in particular when it comes to the cables?

didn't know the higher resolution would hinder the CPU, good to know, and I really hope steamroller can give intel competition, I don't want to see this retarded haswell shit anymore

Yeh with higher resolutions you quickly run into a graphics bottleneck, in games that dont support crossfire one 7970 is screaming away at 90+% utilization, when the difference between an FX 8350 and a I7 3970X at this resolution is in the order or 15-20FPS and this dosent mean anything since no chip is even close to 120FPS at this res, Since I can already pull 60s in every game in that resolution due to my graphics cards there is no point in a more powerful processor if im already above the refresh rate of my monitor, with my 8150 I overclocked it to 4.4GHz  so its really not far off from the vishera benchmarks I posted on the 2nd page.

Plus with the AMD optimizations from the consoles this chip is actually getting better with age as more games are using multi-core, so I have no compelling reason to upgrade till steamroller.

I agree Haswell was completely pathetic, CPUs have barely moved an inch since Sandy launched :(

• 3 weeks later...

Very nice rig... but, for me, this doesn't have any sense.  :blink:

Prometeus > Intel i7 3770k / AsRock Z77 extreme6 / 16gb 1600 RipJaws Jskill / Sapphire HD7950 OC 950mhz edition / AX750 Corsair / OCZ Vertex4 128 gb / Seagate 1 Tb / CM 690 II / CM hyper 412S . . . Escanautor > MacBook Pro 13" (late 2011) / OSX 10.8.4

I have a similar rig to this except for the cpu and the fact that i only have 3x 7970's, needed room for a sound card lol. Iove to see purely AMD builds, heck you even got AMD ram, Keep waving the red flag high on this beast rig.  :)

I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.

-Winston Churchill

Custom liquid cooling would be so good for this

i5 4670k| Asrock H81M-ITX| EVGA Nex 650g| WD Black 500Gb| H100 with SP120s| ASUS Matrix 7970 Platinum (just sold)| Patriot Venom 1600Mhz 8Gb| Bitfenix Prodigy. Build log in progress 

Build Log here: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/119926-yin-yang-prodigy-update-2-26-14/

Custom liquid cooling would be so good for this

bump! :D

-Corsair Carbide 500r + TX-750w V2 | Asus P5Q Deluxe + Intel Core2Duo E8400 @ 3.8Ghz + 2x2GB G.Skill DDR2 1066mhz

-Sapphire HD4890 1GB DDR5 (New Edition) + 1x Intel SSD 330 120GB + 2x Seagate Barracuda 500GB SlimSinglePlate (RAID0)

+1 for using windows 8 and on multiple monitors.

The blue and red is a bit jarring, it's more than likely the blue LEDs drowning out everything and leaving a bit of red. If it were blue pcbs and red water cooling or something or sleeving and coolers it'd be alright.

I have to say I'm running a similar colour scheme and i really like how it looks here. Great Build.

+1 for using windows 8 and on multiple monitors.

The blue and red is a bit jarring, it's more than likely the blue LEDs drowning out everything and leaving a bit of red. If it were blue pcbs and red water cooling or something or sleeving and coolers it'd be alright.

The blue does drown out everything really, The red is just the colors of the plastics, if you look at it while its off you can see the red, other then that ir looks like a cool blue, the camera has a hard time picking it up. If it does not give off light itself it will be drowned out by leds :P