Hey Guys, I made a post a couple of days ago describing my new build and the different parts I was looking at. I have been considering two options:

Option 1: I only purchase the parts I need and face upgrading my computer again in a couple of years for parts such as a gfx card or PSU etc.

Or

Option 2: I completely refurbish my computer and save up more £££ and buy some more expensive parts that will allow myself to future proof my gaming PC.

I have only built one computer before and have sorta grown some trust issues with different brands with reviews and faulty hardware. I am alot more comfortable buying from ASUS, EVGA, Corsair etc. (I know the parts might of been damaged already or Dead On Arrival).

I already own a decent gaming computer, but am looking to spend that bit more if it means I can get better processing speeds, higher benchmarks in games and also good start up times (I am looking to buy an SSD for this too).

My Current build is listed below:

I have taken a liking to some parts and seek some advice from you guys as to what I should and should not purchase and whether I really need it at all.

As for my processor, it would be helpful to know is it worth upgrading to an i7 when I can overclock my current i5 processor? Can I even overclock my CURRENT processor? (I5 3570K), and finally... Is water cooling worth the money when it comes to steady and low heat temperatures?

I am looking to build a quiet build and planned this for my original build when I bought the "Cooler Master HAF 922" as it features several different fan supports. Will I need a new case? I really enjoy the aesthetics when looking at a new gaming rig and have taken a liking to the "NZXT Phantom (White) ATX Full Tower Case", is this case worth the money or any good at all? Also, on the topic of water cooling. Is fitting radiators and the fan itself too much hassle for a beginner?, will the case listed above support the "Corsair H100i GTX 70.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler"

The part list I have chosen when looking at customer reviews and benchmarks is listed below:

For the moment I have removed the CPU as I might not need to upgrade that at this moment in time, but would still appreciate any comments if I would need to.

The motherboard shown above is an older Z87 chipset, will that work correctly with my CPU? Also, it it worth spending that bit more to get a Z97 Mobo?

The full title for my CURRENT CPU is this > 

Intel® Core™ i5-3570K Processor 
(6M Cache, up to 3.80 GHz)

I would most likely be looking to overclock my processor if it is worth it but would obviously need a good aftermarket cooler first.

If some people were confused, I made a mistake when looking at my processor on my first post. It was a 3570K and not a 2500K

Thank you so much for reading, and I am looking forward to hearing back and responses/feedback you will have for me.

- Gathercole

If you wanna swap out the CPU might as well go z97, for cooling I think the 212 Evo should do just fine, if the CPU ocs

CPU: Xeon 1230v3 - GPU: GTX 770  - SSD: 120GB 840 Evo - HDD: WD Blue 1TB - RAM: Ballistix 8GB - Case: CM N400 - PSU: CX 600M - Cooling: Cooler Master 212 Evo

Update Plans: Mini ITX this bitch

If you upgrade the motherboard to a z87 or z97, you will need a new CPU. The Core i5 3570k will only work with a motherboard with the z77 chipset if you want the ability to overclock and will not work with the z87 or z97 at all. The NZXT Phantom is a great case and would definitly support the Corsair H100i GTX and the H100i GTX is a great AiO watercooler.. If you have more money in your budget I would try to find a fully-modular power supply with an 80+ gold or higher power supply...

The motherboard you have chosen will require a new CPU and the 3570k is overclockable but remember the risks of overclocking.

I would recommend that you buy the SSD, PSU, GPU and the AIO Liquid Cooler.

Rig: Thermaltake Urban S71 | MSI Z77 G45-Gaming Intel Core i5 3570K (4.4Ghz @ 1.4v) CM Hyper 212 EVO | Kingston HyperX Fury 8GB | MSI GTX 660 | Kingston 120GB SSD | Seagate 3TB HDD | EVGA 850W B2

You don't need to OC or get a new CPU unless multitasking. That one's just as fast as a Haswell gaming-wise. The PSU you linked is pretty overpriced and a cheaper unit. I'd go with this for the same price: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/super-flower-power-supply-sf550p14xehx

Case is fine. CPU cooler isn't needed unless OC'ing. SSD is your choice, as it will boost speeds quite a bit. I suggest the 850 Evo/Pro or Crucial MX100. New motherboard isn't needed either.

PC and Peripherals:

Intel Core i3 4150 @3.5GHz - ASRock H97M Anniversary - Kingston Fury HyperX Black 8GB DDR3 @1866MHz - Gigabyte GeForce GTX 960 G1 Gaming 2GB GDDR5 - EVGA 500W 80+ Certified - WD Caviar Blue 1TB - WD Caviar Blue 160GB - Lian Li PC-50 - Linux Ubuntu 14.04.3 LTS - Acer P221w 21.5" 1680x1050 60Hz - Kingston Fury HyperX Clouds - Razer Deathadder 3.5G - CM Storm Quickfire Rapid w/ Cherry MX Blues

If you upgrade the motherboard to a z87 or z97, you will need a new CPU. The Core i5 3570k will only work with a motherboard with the z77 chipset if you want the ability to overclock and will not work with the z87 or z97 at all. The NZXT Phantom is a great case and would definitly support the Corsair H100i GTX and the H100i GTX is a great AiO watercooler.. If you have more money in your budget I would try to find a fully-modular power supply with an 80+ gold or higher power supply...

Thank you very much for the very detailed information, I think I might buy the Asus Sabertooth listed above and get a cpu, any ideas about which model I should go for? Do I go the extra way for an i7? or OC with the watercooler I plan to buy?

Thank you very much for the very detailed information, I think I might buy the Asus Sabertooth listed above and get a cpu, any ideas about which model I should go for? Do I go the extra way for an i7? or OC with the watercooler I plan to buy?

I wouldn't get a new CPU unless you absolutely need it, nor would I OC. For a couple frames extra, you'd be spending another $100 on a decent cooler; and if you don't know what you're doing you could easily kill you CPU. If you really need a new CPU, and you're purely gaming, then I'd get an i5 4590/4690k depending if you decide to OC. The i7 won't have a benefit unless you're 3D modeling or video rendering. To be honest though, ivy bridge and Haswell are almost the same speeds. Not really worth it unless, again, you're video rendering or 3D modeling.

PC and Peripherals:

Intel Core i3 4150 @3.5GHz - ASRock H97M Anniversary - Kingston Fury HyperX Black 8GB DDR3 @1866MHz - Gigabyte GeForce GTX 960 G1 Gaming 2GB GDDR5 - EVGA 500W 80+ Certified - WD Caviar Blue 1TB - WD Caviar Blue 160GB - Lian Li PC-50 - Linux Ubuntu 14.04.3 LTS - Acer P221w 21.5" 1680x1050 60Hz - Kingston Fury HyperX Clouds - Razer Deathadder 3.5G - CM Storm Quickfire Rapid w/ Cherry MX Blues

I wouldn't get a new CPU unless you absolutely need it, nor would I OC. For a couple frames extra, you'd be spending another $100 on a decent cooler; and if you don't know what you're doing you could easily kill you CPU. If you really need a new CPU, and you're purely gaming, then I'd get an i5 4590/4690k depending if you decide to OC. The i7 won't have a benefit unless you're 3D modeling or video rendering. To be honest though, ivy bridge and Haswell are almost the same speeds. Not really worth it unless, again, you're video rendering or 3D modeling.

Ok Awesome, I do make some YouTube videos and use Cinema 4D for college like 3D rendering, but I'm pretty sure I won't be buying an i7 anytime soon. I am still unsure on whether to buy a new mobo and cpu, I don't desperately need it but it would be nice to future proof it. What you think?

Ok Awesome, I do make some YouTube videos and use Cinema 4D for college like 3D rendering, but I'm pretty sure I won't be buying an i7 anytime soon. I am still unsure on whether to buy a new mobo and cpu, I don't desperately need it but it would be nice to future proof it. What you think?

It's not really going to future-proof it to be honest. It'll last just as long as they're almost the same speeds besides the 3D rendering. There's really no need anyways if your current CPU does just fine. If you really want a good upgrade, wait a couple generations, and then maybe you'll find something worth-while.

PC and Peripherals:

~snip~

Hey Gathercole,

The guys gave you some good advice. I could also suggest considering a SSD for your system as it would make your system much snappier and much more responsive, decrease all loading times and boot times and contribute towards a much smoother performance. :)

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/