Whoa! 4790k running 89C at idle with stock fan!

Go to solution Solved by danforz,

Finally got it stable. Had to do with the mounting of the CPU fan. It took 3 attempts to get it right, and I had do to a X pattern with the thermal paste. Thank goodness that's over with. Now to get my AIO and overclock. 

Update: CPU runs at around 73C in Windows while running Netflix + browsers. Not good in my opinion. When I use the cpu in the slightest, opening a new window, it breaks 80C. 

Is it possible I've simply gotten a super hot CPU?

Hey guys,

I posted earlier about problems with my Swiftech H240x (brown residue in reservoir) so I simply installed my stock fan while that situation was being resolved. Just to be safe, I installed Real Temp and noticed my four cores ranged from 87C to 90C at idle! I restarted my computer to double check in bios (even got a boot warning re: hot CPU) and the temps in the bios confirmed that we were still north of 86C. 

I don't assume that a stock fan is as good as an after market one, but what gives? I'm pretty sure I properly mounted the thing too.

Daniel 

stock fan reaching 90 is normal

EDIT: yes 9001 people I did not see idle not normal

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

at idle

Personal Rig v3: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X | Noctua NH-U14S | Gigabyte B450 Aorus Pro ITX | Zotac GTX 2070 8GB | 16GB G-Skill Trident DDR4 3200MHz | EVGA Supernova 750B | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX 

Peripherals: Sennheiser HD518 & Classic ModMic | Corsair K65 Luxe | Zowie EC2 | ASUS VG259QM  |  ASUS VG278E | Klipsch ProMedia 2.1

Lol what? At Idle, no.

N64 HTPC: [Completed]

Main PC: i7 4770k @ 4.2 Ghz | Be Quiet! Dark Rock TF | Asus Z87 Maximus VI Formula | G Skill Ripjaws X 16GB | Zotac GTX 1070 | Samsung 850 EVO 500GB | Seagate 1TB Hybrid | Samsung 840 EVO 128GB | Corsair 1200i | Thermaltake Core P5

Let's hope there's thermal paste lol.

The stock fan had thermal paste on it. Only thing I can think is to re-seat it. 

Rofl no it is not

Idle?

at idle

At idle?

did not see idle im sorry

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Hey guys,

I posted earlier about problems with my Swiftech H240x (brown residue in reservoir) so I simply installed my stock fan while that situation was being resolved. Just to be safe, I installed Real Temp and noticed my four cores ranged from 87C to 90C at idle! I restarted my computer to double check in bios (even got a boot warning re: hot CPU) and the temps in the bios confirmed that we were still north of 86C. 

I don't assume that a stock fan is as good as an after market one, but what gives? I'm pretty sure I properly mounted the thing too.

Daniel 

When you mounted it did you hear each latch make an audible clicking sound?

-SNIP-

Yeah 90C idle is not good make sure the pins are rotated correctly into place and locked firmly, not to mention thermal paste. 

I would remount and make sure it's fastened firmly.

Did you forget the thermal paste?

Yeah 90C idle is not good make sure the pins are rotated correctly into place and locked firmly, not to mention thermal paste. 

I would remount and make sure it's fastened firmly.

System won't even BOOT if it wasn't in the socket the right way.

No it's not. Don't spread such horrible misinformation.

Based on how long that thermal paste has been on the cooler it might not work very well. I'd add some fresh stuff and see if that helps.

You better be.  jk

N64 HTPC: [Completed]

Main PC: i7 4770k @ 4.2 Ghz | Be Quiet! Dark Rock TF | Asus Z87 Maximus VI Formula | G Skill Ripjaws X 16GB | Zotac GTX 1070 | Samsung 850 EVO 500GB | Seagate 1TB Hybrid | Samsung 840 EVO 128GB | Corsair 1200i | Thermaltake Core P5

Let me clarify by pins I meant the locking pins on the stock cooler not the CPU itself.

Let me clarify by pins I meant the locking pins on the stock cooler not the CPU itself.

They only go one way. You'd have to be pretty special to fuck that up.

I'm going to do the following: 

1. Remove

2. Wipe off thermal residue from stock fan/cpu

3. Apply Arctic Chill 5

PS I'm in BIO right now with ALL fans to max and its 78C and climbing. Yikes. 

Daniel 

They only go one way. You'd have to be pretty special to fuck that up.

True.

You can however have it mounted whereby a locking pins is rotated out so they are in the position for removal, and the others partially or not locked in all the way. I've seen it happen before where it can cause a jump in temps since it's not evenly applying pressure to the CPU or not enough pressure.

-SNIP-

Sounds like a good plan.

You have to every time you install a cooler... lol

Results: 

After applying after market thermal compound and re-seating the heatsink, temps are averaging around 65C. Still not great, but it'll have to do till I get my Swiftech issue sorted out. Ugh, what a pain Swiftech has caused. 

UpdateCPU runs at around 73C in Windows while running Netflix + browsers. Not good in my opinion. When I use the cpu in the slightest, opening a new window, it breaks 80C. 

Is it possible I've simply gotten a super hot CPU?

Update: CPU runs at around 73C in Windows while running Netflix + browsers. Not good in my opinion. When I use the cpu in the slightest, opening a new window, it breaks 80C.

Is it possible I've simply gotten a super hot CPU?

Do you have balanced power plan in windows? Maximum performance power plan runs CPU at full speed.

CPU-delided i5-4670k@4.6Ghz 1.42v R.I.P (2013-2015) MOBO-Asus Maximus VI Gene GPU-Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming@1582Mhz core/3744Mhz memory COOLING-Corsair H60 RAM-1x8Gb Crucial ballistix tactical tracer@2133Mhz 11-12-12-26  DRIVES-Kingston V300 60Gb, OCZ trion 100 120Gb, WD Red 1Tb
2nd  fastest i5 4670k in GPUPI for CPU - 100M