Whoa! 4790k running 89C at idle with stock fan!

Go to solution Solved by danforz,

Finally got it stable. Had to do with the mounting of the CPU fan. It took 3 attempts to get it right, and I had do to a X pattern with the thermal paste. Thank goodness that's over with. Now to get my AIO and overclock. 

Maybe air bubbles, re-attach the cooler

He's using stock cooler.

CPU-delided i5-4670k@4.6Ghz 1.42v R.I.P (2013-2015) MOBO-Asus Maximus VI Gene GPU-Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming@1582Mhz core/3744Mhz memory COOLING-Corsair H60 RAM-1x8Gb Crucial ballistix tactical tracer@2133Mhz 11-12-12-26  DRIVES-Kingston V300 60Gb, OCZ trion 100 120Gb, WD Red 1Tb
2nd  fastest i5 4670k in GPUPI for CPU - 100M

Is there any possibility you live inside of an oven? But in all seriousness I would think that if a couple remounts and wiping the processor clean of thermal paste and reapplying then you might have a heat spreader that is not making proper contact with the die. If it somehow got slightly separated then it will no longer become a conductor of heat and instead provide a nice pocket of air to allow it to be heated up and insulated. 

He's using stock cooler.

I thought the same thing as you, but I think he's talking about in the thermal paste.

G3258 V 860k (Spoiler: G3258 wins)

Spoiler

i7-4790K | MSI R9 390x | Cryorig H5 | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard | G.Skill Sniper 8gbx2 1600mhz DDR3 | Corsair 300R | WD Green 2TB 2.5" 5400RPM drive | <p>Corsair RM750 | Logitech G602 | Corsair K95 RGB | Logitech Z313

I thought the same thing as you, but I think he's talking about in the thermal paste.

Ok.

CPU-delided i5-4670k@4.6Ghz 1.42v R.I.P (2013-2015) MOBO-Asus Maximus VI Gene GPU-Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming@1582Mhz core/3744Mhz memory COOLING-Corsair H60 RAM-1x8Gb Crucial ballistix tactical tracer@2133Mhz 11-12-12-26  DRIVES-Kingston V300 60Gb, OCZ trion 100 120Gb, WD Red 1Tb
2nd  fastest i5 4670k in GPUPI for CPU - 100M

The hell you doing?

-Atlas (or CyberAtlas)

CyberAtlas.co

Check to make sure you have Thermal paste, if not, PUT IT ON. Second, you probably have viruses everywhere. Lol. That, or your bios is screwed up to the point it is overclocking itself.

-Atlas (or CyberAtlas)

CyberAtlas.co

What voltage is your CPU running at?

LanSyndicate Build | i5-6600k | ASRock OC Formula | G.Skill 3600MHz | Samsung 850 Evo | MSI R9-290X 8GB Alphacool Block | Enthoo Pro M | XTR Pro 750w | Custom Loop |

Daily | 5960X | X99 Sabertooth | G.Skill 3000MHz | 750 NVMe | 850 Evo | x2 WD Se 2TB | x2 Seagate 3TB | Sapphire R9-290X 8GB | Enthoo Primo | EVGA 1000G2 | Custom Loop |

Game Box | 4690K | Z97i-Plus | G.Skill 2400MHz | x2 840 Evo | GTX 970 shorty | Corsair 250D modded with H105 | EVGA 650w B2 |

stock fan reaching 90 is normal

EDIT: yes 9001 people I did not see idle not normal

Umm, DERP. NO ITS NOT. Stock coolers are supposed to be sufficient, at keeping them at stable temperatures, not completely overclocked like temperatures. 

-Atlas (or CyberAtlas)

CyberAtlas.co

A few updates: 

1. I re-seated the fan. The thermal paste from the stock cooler seemed relatively uniform on there.

2. I removed all thermal residue and added a slightly larger than a grain of rice ( ;) ) strip of Arctic 5. 

3. I disabled turbo boost in my mother board. 

Idle to mild work environment temps running at mid 50C now, which is much better than before. 

You can see my most recent CPUZ screen shots here (won't let me upload on LTT):

http://www.overclock.net/t/1556118/whoa-4970k-w-stock-fan-with-high-temps-did-i-just-get-a-bad-cpu/10#post_23921893

Do you have balanced power plan in windows? Maximum performance power plan runs CPU at full speed.

Switching the power mode to "Balanced" has done nothing to change temps. Still idling at 55C.

What voltage is your CPU running at?

Currently, 1.034 at 4ghz (stock). But still at 55C at idle. 

Currently, 1.034 at 4ghz (stock). But still at 55C at idle. 

55C at idle is a bit toasty but not terrible, I have a buddy whose 4790K idled at around 50-60C and thermal throttles with any benchmarking using the stock cooler.

Based on how long that thermal paste has been on the cooler it might not work very well. I'd add some fresh stuff and see if that helps.

You better be.  jk

I did, and that helped. Still at 55C idle though.

55C at idle is a bit toasty but not terrible, I have a buddy whose 4790K idled at around 50-60C and thermal throttles with any benchmarking using the stock cooler.

My friend's 4970 is in the 30C's. I really don't think 55C at idle on a stock fan is acceptable - it undermine's Intel's own turbo boost technology, which I currently have turned off.

My friend's 4970 is in the 30C's. I really don't think 55C at idle on a stock fan is acceptable - it undermine's Intel's own turbo boost technology, which I currently have turned off.

Hmm it happens at times mine was around 40C when it was a 10C jump to my buddy's with no load and same cooler, but it does seem abnormally high, since the turbo boost function is turned off. 

What are temps with turbo boost enabled?

Finally got it stable. Had to do with the mounting of the CPU fan. It took 3 attempts to get it right, and I had do to a X pattern with the thermal paste. Thank goodness that's over with. Now to get my AIO and overclock. 

My first 4790k was hitting 94c in-game on a stock cooler. rma... Then I got my silicon lottery winner and haven't had any issues since.  

Spoiler

LTT's Fastest single core CineBench 11.5/15 score on air with i7-4790K on air

Main Rig

CPU: i7-4770K @ 4.3GHz 1.18v, Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth Mark 2, RAM: 16 GB G.Skill Sniper Series @ 1866MHz, GPU: EVGA 980Ti Classified @ 1507/1977MHz , Storage: 500GB 850 EVO, WD Cavier Black/Blue 1TB+1TB,  Power Supply: Corsair HX 750W, Case: Fractal Design r4 Black Pearl w/ Window, OS: Windows 10 Home 64bit

Plex Server WIP

CPU: i5-3570K, Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: ASrock, Ram: 16GB, GPU: Intel igpu, Storage: 120GB Kingston SSD, 6TB WD Red, Powersupply: Corsair TX 750W, Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-01 OS: Windows 10

Lenovo Legion Laptop

CPU: i7-7700HQ, RAM: 8GB, GPU: 1050Ti 4GB, Storage: 500GB Crucial MX500, OS: Windows 10

My first 4790k was hitting 94c in-game on a stock cooler. rma... Then I got my silicon lottery winner and haven't had any issues since.  

Lol, i am running my 4790k at exactly the same clock speed & voltage.

The stock Intel fan is just the worst. I had similar issues before on another computer, but resolved them too.

Reapply thermal paste. If you trust me, spread it with your finger. I tried pea size in the middle, draw line, x shape and the one that works the best is spread with finger evenly a thin layer on top.

stock thermal pads might dried up so better get new ones to replace.

CPU:  i7 4770k @ overclocked to 4.4ghz             GPU: Intel HD4600                                                                SSD: Kingston V300 120GB (OS)                   Cooler:  Corsair H100i GTX
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolve (Black)                RAM: 2x4gb Corsair Dominator Platinium 2133mhz  HDD: 1TB Seagate                                            Mouse: Logitech G502
OS:     Windows 10                                                      PSU: Corsair RM850i 80+ Gold                                          Motherboard:  AsusZ97 Pro Gamer              Keyboard: Vortex Pok3r 3