Lock Mod For my untrustworthy sister xD

So i recently build my sister a PC so she could do her school work and stuff , its an old lga775 Pentium e2160 1.8ghz OC'd to 2.8ghz on a Q6600 cooler

But As Of late she has been using it when she shouldnt , like at night when she is meant to be sleeping like the rest of us lol 

so i took it as an opportunity to do some modding :D

I found an Ignition switch from an old Mobility Scooter that my dad striped down for parts , it only has on and off so its perfect for what i need it for 

Here is the switch mounted in one of the 5.25' Bay Covers 

post-15940-0-61866500-1431904549_thumb.j

Now i just had to figure out how i was gonna make it work , i didnt wanna cut any PSU wires or anything that might interfere with the workings of the PC

So i decided to put it on the circuit for the power button , all i had to do was extend the wires on the switch to reach , cur one of the power button wires , and strip all insulation off at the ends to 

twist it all together and put some insulation tape on it 

Here is the finished Circuit :

post-15940-0-26767600-1431905059_thumb.j

(orange and white wires are power button , Black and red are from the Switch )

and it works , the PC wont turn on with the power button unless the key is in a turned on the switch , i know a pass word would have done basically the same thing but i was bored and i had a modding itch lol

Finished Product ( dont mind the Crap dirty case , she will be getting my Z11 case soon )

post-15940-0-61637900-1431904961_thumb.j

Very Simple Mod , Very Ghetto Mod , Very Effective 

My Pc Specs

CPU : AMD FX-8350 @stock w/Noctua NH D-14   Mobo: Asus M5A99FX    Ram : 16gb Corsair XMS3 @1600mhz    GPU : Gigabyte GTX970 Windforce OC 4GB @1429mhz   SSD: Sandisk X110 256gb    Case: Be Quiet Silent Base 800 Windowed  PSU: EVGA 850w g2  Peripherals : Corsair K70 w/Red Switches , Logitech G502 , Samsung SyncMaster S22B300 (1920x1080) , Ttesports Shock one headset , Phone : HTC one A9

this is gold

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Why not just turn off the PSU, or would she know how to turn it on ? :x

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

That's pretty awesome!

N64 HTPC: [Completed]

Main PC: i7 4770k @ 4.2 Ghz | Be Quiet! Dark Rock TF | Asus Z87 Maximus VI Formula | G Skill Ripjaws X 16GB | Zotac GTX 1070 | Samsung 850 EVO 500GB | Seagate 1TB Hybrid | Samsung 840 EVO 128GB | Corsair 1200i | Thermaltake Core P5

Wow, way to take away your sisters freedom.

Well she needs sleep for school and stuff :P

this is gold

Haha thanks :D

ahhhhhhh well unfortunately some of my tech know how has rubbed off on her :/

Lol, this is great.

Wow, that's creative.

Yup thats what boredom will do to you :P

That's pretty awesome!

Thanks dude :D

My Pc Specs

CPU : AMD FX-8350 @stock w/Noctua NH D-14   Mobo: Asus M5A99FX    Ram : 16gb Corsair XMS3 @1600mhz    GPU : Gigabyte GTX970 Windforce OC 4GB @1429mhz   SSD: Sandisk X110 256gb    Case: Be Quiet Silent Base 800 Windowed  PSU: EVGA 850w g2  Peripherals : Corsair K70 w/Red Switches , Logitech G502 , Samsung SyncMaster S22B300 (1920x1080) , Ttesports Shock one headset , Phone : HTC one A9

I need to do this with my mouse and keyboard USB ports to prevent my little siblings from using my PC when I leave my desk for a bit.

But awesome mod bro.

technically you would only need it on one wire of the USB to stop it working correctly , most likely the USB power wire :P

My Pc Specs

It's pretty safe to assume his sister is young. A lot of kids don't have their own PC at all, so I wouldn't consider this taking away her freedom, but giving her a privilege that can be controlled to stop her from spending all her time on it. 

I actually kind of want to do this, just for the sake of it. Or put a switch with a cover on or something (like you would find in an aircraft) that needs to be on before the PC will start. 

It's pretty safe to assume his sister is young. A lot of kids don't have their own PC at all, so I wouldn't consider this taking away her freedom, but giving her a privilege that can be controlled to stop her from spending all her time on it. 

Exactly :P

I actually kind of want to do this, just for the sake of it. Or put a switch with a cover on or something (like you would find in an aircraft) that needs to be on before the PC will start. 

its a fun little mod to do , and you get the satisfaction of turning a key to turn your PC on lol :D

My Pc Specs

Exactly :P

its a fun little mod to do , and you get the satisfaction of turning a key to turn your PC on lol :D

Not going to lie, that's the main reason I want to do it xD. Maybe install a load of them, so you have to turn several, saying "system's active" as you do. 

I'm wondering if there's a way to make it so that a small device that's voice controlled can bridge a connection (like the key in the turned state) when you give it a command. Now that would be a cool thing to have. Maybe I'll look into it. 

Not going to lie, that's the main reason I want to do it xD. Maybe install a load of them, so you have to turn several, saying "system's active" as you do. 

I'm wondering if there's a way to make it so that a small device that's voice controlled can bridge a connection (like the key in the turned state) when you give it a command. Now that would be a cool thing to have. Maybe I'll look into it. 

Hmmmmmmmm that would be a pretty awesome mod , someone needs to do that :P:D

My Pc Specs

It turned out just as I pictured, Adam! I love it! c:

Happy Gaming! ;)

Ha. Really? This isn't taking away someones freedom.

So if I did this to your computer you wouldn't feel less free?

Yes, if this were me, of course I would feel less free, but my freedom would not be impinged. This ignores what constitutes as someone's actual freedom and privilege of that individual, and it completely ignores the context, that this is a child.

Yes, if this were me, of course I would feel less free, but my freedom would not be impinged. This ignores what constitutes as someone's actual freedom and privilege of that individual, and it completely ignores the context, that this is a child.

You don't actually know her age. In any case I believe you have failed as a parent if you have to go to these extremes. The same goes for grounding your children. You're not helping anyone.

You don't actually know her age. In any case I believe you have failed as a parent if you have to go to these extremes. The same goes for grounding your children. You're not helping anyone.

she is 13 just so you know , and i didnt do it to just be a bad person or anything she was staying up to like 3-4am on her PC when she has to leave for school at 8 am .... i know a password would have done the same thing but my dad ( my sister is living with him atm ) is old fashioned and i know he would prefer to have a physical key for the PC , Plus i was bored , what do you do when you are bored ? Mods :D 

My Pc Specs

she is 13 just so you know , and i didnt do it to just be a bad person or anything she was staying up to like 3-4am on her PC when she has to leave for school at 8 am .... i know a password would have done the same thing but my dad ( my sister is living with him atm ) is old fashioned and i know he would prefer to have a physical key for the PC , Plus i was bored , what do you do when you are bored ? Mods :D

The mod is cool, don't get me wrong. :D I just think there are better ways of parenting, ie. making her understand that sleep is important, rather than taking stuff away from her.

Extremes? Not being able to turn on a computer when you should be asleep, geesh. That explains a lot about the behaviours of the kids now.

So while its great you can try to rationalize the problem with the child, I believe a parent has failed by not willing to place or enforce any limitations on a child.