I7 4770k vs I7 3770k for Gaming?

Go to solution Solved by aikoels,

Not true, the i7 is better for video editing, rendering, etc. NOT A WASTE

But he said in gaming it is a waste, which it kinda is, sure it helps with rendering but not gaming.

For gaming the 3770k is still more than you need. I use a 3570k it is more than enough for any game. But as some people said above get the 770, not 680. Also please do not go for the "It is newer, it must be better!" because that is a really bad approach (for the most part) for example sure the 4770k is better than the 3770k but in gaming there is no difference.

Edit:

so i should get a I5 3570 and a GTX 770 would that be the best srtup i could get. and i have enough for a I7 and a good GPU so money doesnt matter i just want the best performance for mainly gaming but some youtube editing/uploading nothing major. 

For just some video editing an i5 will be fine, if you get into a lot of editing/rendering you may want to look at the i7s. But yes imo the 770 would be a better way to go.

Ok so as you can see in the title i am wondering which processor is a better choice for gaming. I have heard that the I5 is better for gaming needs, But i also heard that the I7 is more of a future proof processor. I need a processor that can play the latest games on atleast 50 Fps preferably 60+ Fps. I am also a beginner and this will be my first build. im also not sure to run 1 GTX 680 or 2 cheaper card on SLI or Crossfire. I also would like to be using a monitor of at least the size of 24" on 1920x1080 i am not sure if that helps. Thanks in advance for being brave enough to answer this question.

No 680, 770 instead

System Specs - CPU: i7 4770K - RAM: 8GB(2x4GB) Vengeance Pro - Motherboard: Maximus VI Gene - Case: Modded PowerMac G5 - CPU Cooler: H100i - PSU: AX860i - SSD: Samsung 840 Series 120GB and Kingston V300 120GB - HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - Graphics Card: 2x GTX 780 - Case Fans: SP120s and Spectre 140s - Headphones: HD700, Alpha Dog, SE215

Sony A7R w/ Zeiss 55mm F1.8

When games start to use more threads, the 3770/4770 will become more useful than the 3570/4670. Until then, there's no benefits to them except for in games like Crysis 3, Far Cry 3, Battlefield 3 and the upcoming Star Citizen.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Ok so as you can see in the title i am wondering which processor is a better choice for gaming. I have heard that the I5 is better for gaming needs, But i also heard that the I7 is more of a future proof processor. I need a processor that can play the latest games on atleast 50 Fps preferably 60+ Fps. I am also a beginner and this will be my first build. im also not sure to run 1 GTX 680 or 2 cheaper card on SLI or Crossfire. I also would like to be using a monitor of at least the size of 24" on 1920x1080 i am not sure if that helps. Thanks in advance for being brave enough to answer this question.

There will be no diffrence in gaming between the proccesors and get the i5, the i7 is not more future proof than the i5 you have no reason to go with the i7 over the i5 exept if you want to waste almost 100$

There will be no diffrence in gaming between the proccesors and get the i5, the i7 is not more future proof than the i5 you have no reason to go with the i7 over the i5 exept if you want to waste almost 100$

I disagree with this.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

I disagree with this.

The i5 have 4 cores and 4 threads the i7 have 4 cores and 8 threads i do not think any game needs more than 4 cores and 4 threads

No 680, 770 instead

yea i would of done that too

He is the hero this forum deserves but not the one it needs right now.So we'll hunt him because he can take it because he is not our hero he is a silent guardian 

a watchful protector A Dark Knight

4770k is a newer chip of course it is better :)

He is the hero this forum deserves but not the one it needs right now.So we'll hunt him because he can take it because he is not our hero he is a silent guardian 

a watchful protector A Dark Knight

System Specs - CPU: i7 4770K - RAM: 8GB(2x4GB) Vengeance Pro - Motherboard: Maximus VI Gene - Case: Modded PowerMac G5 - CPU Cooler: H100i - PSU: AX860i - SSD: Samsung 840 Series 120GB and Kingston V300 120GB - HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - Graphics Card: 2x GTX 780 - Case Fans: SP120s and Spectre 140s - Headphones: HD700, Alpha Dog, SE215

The i5 have 4 cores and 4 threads the i7 have 4 cores and 8 threads i do not think any game needs more than 4 cores and 4 threads

You said the 3770/4770 is not future-proof. While future-proof is a lie, the hyper-threading will start to have benefits once games start to use more than 4 threads in the future(whether that's near or not). In games like Crysis 3, hyper-threading helps.

But this guy is not editing he is only playing games

But this guy is nit editing he is only playing games

Currently he isn't, but if he has the money to buy the i7, buy the i7 - more options

You said the 3770/4770 is not future-proof. While future-proof is a lie, the hyper-threading will start to have benefits once games start to use more than 4 threads in the future(whether that's near or not). In games like Crysis 3, hyper-threading helps.

It may help but the diffrence is not huge like i5 40 FPS i7 50 FPS

When pretty much every game uses more than 4 cores and threads my guess is about 3-4 years it is probably time to upgrade because then haswell is like lynnfield is now

Currently he isn't, but if he has the money to buy the i7, buy the i7 - more options

Yeah but those money would be better spent on a GPU

If you have the money get the better processor. Gpu's are easier to upgrade in the future. I think the advantages of Haswell would justify getting a 4770k and it will be good for many things. Also it becomes a better value if you can get it from microcenter.

Desk: monitors 3x Asus VE248h(eyefinity), Keyboard Cm Strom Trigger(mx red), Mouse Corsair m65, Headset Audio Technica ATH-M50

Black Friday 2013 Build: i7 4770k, Gigabyte Z87X UD5H, 16gb Corsair, Msi R9 290, Corsair Axi 760, Corsair 750D, 2x intel 530 240gb ssd, 2x Seagate 400gb

Older Machine amd x640, msi 760g mobo, 8gb gskillz, Sapphire 6870, Corsair hx650, Cooler master haf 922, ocz agility 3 120gb ssd || HTPC: i7 3770k, shuttle xpc z77, 16gb gskillz, Asus GTX 650 ti, intel 120gb msata ssd

If you have the money get a 4770k over a 4670k, if you want to stream and make videos, it will help quite a bit. (tons of gamers do) 

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

so i should get a I5 3570 and a GTX 770 would that be the best srtup i could get. and i have enough for a I7 and a good GPU so money doesnt matter i just want the best performance for mainly gaming but some youtube editing/uploading nothing major. 

But he said in gaming it is a waste, which it kinda is, sure it helps with rendering but not gaming.

For gaming the 3770k is still more than you need. I use a 3570k it is more than enough for any game. But as some people said above get the 770, not 680. Also please do not go for the "It is newer, it must be better!" because that is a really bad approach (for the most part) for example sure the 4770k is better than the 3770k but in gaming there is no difference.

Edit:

For just some video editing an i5 will be fine, if you get into a lot of editing/rendering you may want to look at the i7s. But yes imo the 770 would be a better way to go.

Intel 3570K - MSI GTX 660Ti 3GB OC Edition - 16GB Corsair LP RAM - ASRock Extreme4 Motherboard - Corsair HX850 - Adata Premier Pro SP900 120GB SSD with Windows 7 - Seagate Barracuda 1TD HDD - Seagate Barracuda 500GB HDD - Thermaltake Frio CPU Cooler - CM Storm Enforcer Case - Macbook Pro Early 2011 Laptop

If you're not going to be editing/rendering anything major, then go with the i5. And if money isn't an issue, get a 780 :P

| i5-4670k @ 4.2Ghz | Corsair H100i | Gigabyte Z87X-UD4H | Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB | ASUS Geforce GTX 770 |

| Samsung 840 Pro 128GB | WD Black 1TB | Corsair AX760 | Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/ Window | Corsair AF140 x2 |

| Windows 8.1 | ASUS 23" 1080p monitor | CM Storm Quickfire Stealth- MX Blue | Logitech G9x | Logitech G930 |

What is major editing/rendering. i just want a cpu that can play all latest games great and edit/render something like 3-4 20 minute videos a week for youtube

Right. For gaming, you won't notice much of a difference between i5's and i7's. If you want to have a certain level of performance for a long period of time, get an i7.

I'd also say get a 3770k not a 4770k. You can buy them and their z77 motherboards very cheaply right now. I got a New Maximus V Extreme for £180. ($230)

CPU: 5930K @ 4.5GHz | GPU: Zotac GTX 980Ti AMP! Extreme edition @ 1503MHz/7400MHz | RAM: 16GB Corsair Dom Plat @ 2667MHz CAS 13 | Motherboard: Asus X99 Sabertooth | Boot Drive: 400GB Intel 750 Series NVMe SSD | PSU: Corsair HX1000i | Monitor: Dell U2713HM 1440p monitor

And also should i use one big HDD for example a 3TB or a 4TB or multiple small 1TB or 2TB on Raid 5