AMD Wants To Stop Being Known As The “Cheaper Solution”

zappian

I am talking about the Xeon 1230v3 m8

CPU: Xeon 1230v3 - GPU: GTX 770  - SSD: 120GB 840 Evo - HDD: WD Blue 1TB - RAM: Ballistix 8GB - Case: CM N400 - PSU: CX 600M - Cooling: Cooler Master 212 Evo

Update Plans: Mini ITX this bitch

You started comparing them not me ^^

oh i misread and thought you brought up a 80 dollar intel cpu and said it has better single and multicore performance 

I am talking about the Xeon 1230v3 m8

ik im just supporting my statement that amd beats intel in multicore performance for the price

Oh I see, not that sure, do you have benchmarks that prove that since the xeon is a hyperthreaded quad core and the fx 6300 is a non hyperthreaded six core

The haswell chips have about 45 to 50% faster single threaded performance.

You can go here : https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html

The FX 6300 is a six core with shared FPU modules so its not as fast as a true six core .

Oh I see, not that sure, do you have benchmarks that prove that since the xeon is a hyperthreaded quad core and the fx 6300 is a non hyperthreaded six core

@Jumper118 's Cinebench GoogleDoc shows both: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AlC81MjwelBgdEZNV3l6aHl1eUNwSUR4Rml0MXMzN1E&usp=sharing#gid=0

@spartaman64

@C0LL0SS0S

@zappian

Could you take your discussion to a CPU thread please?

You are going to find 100s of threads with many detailed information

This thread is about the future of AMD, as basically they stated here is that they want to go on a different way than they did before in the past few years, eg budget way

I was talking about mid end gaming builds for around 600-800$, where nobody is using amd

There is no mid end. The first end is low, the range is the mid, and the other end is high.
Fractal Design Define R4 | MSI x79a-GD45 | 3960X @ 4.6Ghz | Lots of EK Blocks | EVGA GTX780Ti 3GB | Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (4x4) DDR3 1866 | Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD | Western Digital Red 2TB x4 (Raid 10) | Corsair AX760 | Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

This is easily achieved with good marketing some millions of euros.

NVIDIA does it with poor marketing, but still with a great financial muscle, so in this equasion the quality of the marketing is not the biggest factor... it's pretty much just money.

We have plenty of examples of people eating crap, and blindly support it... so just throw money at the issue, it will be fixed :)

Bulldozer mostly failed. But AMD had to rely on it for four years until they start replacing it with Zen. Of course they had to market it as the cheaper solution. There was no other way to market it. Back in the days of the Athlon 64 fx when AMD had the fastest CPUs on the market they were able to charge a premium.

Rory Read joined AMD less than two months before bulldozer launched. I doubt he was responsible for that debacle.

In fact he was the guy who was able to hire people like Jim Keller to start project Zen... and Mark Papermaster, Raja Koduri for grahics.

Sorry, Ruiz and Read cross over in my mind too often:

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

no i said sure the xeon beats it in single core but not in multicore. the 80 dollar fx 6300 can beat a 160 dollar intel cpu in multicore

Not really. Quad core 3.6GHz Sandy Bridge Xeon still wipes the floor with an FX 6300 and still matches evenly with the FX 8350.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

It'll go like this:

• AMD wants to stop being known as the cheaper solution.
  • Stops being cheap.
  • Stops being known.

Problem solved

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

It'll go like this:

• Stops being cheap.
  • Stops being known.

Problem solved

Better solution:

• Start to make launch events with some guy preaching the greatness of AMD, showing tech products that support tech that is years away from actually being used; masturbate a bit more on stage about having the fastest graphics card in the world and cutting edge tech (people love this shit);
  • Oh you have some shit product IN STOCK that didn't sold as you expect? Guess what? GIFTS FOR THE MEDIA WHO ATTEND THE EVENTS! 
  • pay some social media influencers and companys who influence people on forums/communitys/reddit (yeah pay for the upvotes) - let them do the trash talk, they are pros;
  • pay tech reviewers/journalists for "native content" - this makes wonders;
  • lock your tech and pay enough cash to have studios make games for your hardware API, WRAP THAT SHIT UNDER NDAs that will give cancer to those who talk about it (very important), and leave it to the competition to figure out how to optimize for a game;
  • Go to universities and research institutions and give researchers hardware for free, with proprietary APIs and shit. Oh someone already gave them hardware? Lulz, throw some money their way and finance with hardware all their research projects;
  • Be proud and make use of your own earned media for fucks sake! Brag about consoles, GCN, and Mantle being used in DX12 and Vulkan - rub that shit all over the place;
  • Find a new KPI that suits your products and spread that shit with paid media, even in irrelevant contexts - make it the next big thing! TDP is already being used? Fuck that shit, use some other shit that suits you!
  • Pay some extra for a industrial designer and make a neat cooler - no one cares that it's shit and that third party coolers are still superior - IT'S FUCKING GORGEOUS! You know what? Black was already made... two words - carbon fiber. Mother board manufactuers made people pay a premium for some shit called "heat shield", you can call it awesome shield! Fuck it, make cards with all the colors of the rainbow! People will go ape shit on that!
  • Make you top tier card be released first with a completly different name - a new breed of the same breed - guess what? Wrap it in a premium price and people will drop cold on the floor with seizures, all from excitment and the feeling of not spending enough money on some shit that will be standard in 4 or so months;
  • Rush out incomplete products, BUT MAKE SURE YOU ARE THE FIRST. No one cares if they are gimped - the internet forgets over time, it's all good!
  • Profit.

Better solution:

• Start to make launch events with some guy preaching the greatness of AMD, showing tech products that support tech that is years away from actually being used; masturbate a bit more on stage about having the fastest graphics card in the world and cutting edge tech (people love this shit);
  • Oh you have some shit product IN STOCK that didn't sold as you expect? Guess what? GIFTS FOR THE MEDIA WHO ATTEND THE EVENTS! 
  • pay some social media influencers and companys who influence people on forums/communitys/reddit (yeah pay for the upvotes) - let them do the trash talk, they are pros;
  • lock your tech and pay enough cash to have studios make games for your hardware API, WRAP THAT SHIT UNDER NDAs that will give cancer to those who talk about it (very important), and leave it to the competition to figure out how to optimize for a game;
  • Go to universities and research institutions and give researchers hardware for free, with proprietary APIs and shit. Oh someone already gave them hardware? Lulz, throw some money their way and finance with hardware all their research projects;
  • Be proud and make use of your own earned media for fucks sake! Brag about consoles, GCN, and Mantle being used in DX12 and Vulkan - rub that shit all over the place;
  • Find a new KPI that suits your products and spread that shit with paid media, even in irrelevant contexts - make it the next big thing! TDP is already being used? Fuck that shit, use some other shit that suits you!
  • Pay some extra for a industrial designer and make a neat cooler - no one cares that it's shit and that third party coolers are still superior - IT'S FUCKING GORGEOUS! You know what? Black was already made... two words - carbon fiber. Mother board manufactuers made people pay a premium for some shit called "heat shield", you can call it awesome shield! Fuck it, make cards with all the colors of the rainbow! People will go ape shit on that!
  • Make you top tier card be released first with a completly different name - a new breed of the same breed - guess what? Wrap it in a premium price and people will drop cold on the floor with seizures, all from excitment and the feeling of not spending enough money on some shit that will be standard in 4 or so months;
  • Rush out incomplete products, BUT MAKE SURE YOU ARE THE FIRST. No one cares if they are gimped - the internet forgets over time, it's all good!
  • Profit.

Kek. I see what you did there.

The best part is its entirely true and just shows how stupid most people are :)

Not really. Quad core 3.6GHz Sandy Bridge Xeon still wipes the floor with an FX 6300 and still matches evenly with the FX 8350.

and how much does it cost like 200+

I hope that build included the OS and monitor or was in Australia.

Also what gives you the impression that people think AMD CPU's can't do anything?

Every piece was new. OS, case, SSD, GPU etc. I built it "my way" and not just the cheapest thing I could throw together for him. I put some love into the build. Cause it was for Pops.

I am not saying that AMD chips can't do anything. Its the Intel hype train/ AMD bash train. Read the posts in this topic for fuel for that. Ive been a AMD CPU and Nvidia GPU guy for years and years. Any new build I do for anyone is AMD/Nvidia. I have yet to have anyone complain that it is slow. Or doesn't satisfy their needs.  

Every piece was new. OS, case, SSD, GPU etc. I built it "my way" and not just the cheapest thing I could throw together for him. I put some love into the build. Cause it was for Pops.

I am not saying that AMD chips can't do anything. Its the Intel hype train/ AMD bash train. Read the posts in this topic for fuel for that. Ive been a AMD CPU and Nvidia GPU guy for years and years. Any new build I do for anyone is AMD/Nvidia. I have yet to have anyone complain that it is slow. Or doesn't satisfy their needs.  

I do not mean to pry, or to tell you how to do things, but i am curious as to why you only build AMD/Nvidia machines. Are there any specific metrics you follow for doing this? Did you have a bad experience with Intel CPU's, or an AMD GPU? I try not to limit myself to brands or companies when i build machines, especially for other people. I advise customers to the benefits of each side, and the shortcomings that one side might have over the other at the current time of the build. At the end of the day, when building a computer for someone other than yourself, your job is to satisfy their needs using the best quality and performance parts they can afford. If you only build with AMD, completely neglecting Intel and their offerings, that would make you biased to some extent, no?

Most consumers will not notice the shortcomings that the FX series has to offer. Hell, i know of gamers that do not notice it, that is until they actually see an Intel machine with similar specs do the same thing, without the same stuttering they experience. This is when most people begin to see that AMD dropped the ball with bulldozer/piledriver. It is not mindless bashing of a company. Most people bring up valid complaints against AMD, and AMD themselves admit to their faults by showing you their intended IPC gains in their road map. They would not show such a steep climb on that graph if they did not already know they made a terrible mistake with the current FX lineup. Such a vast improvement simply would not be possible if the FX series was already on par with intel's current lineup.

I understand your frustration with people bashing a company you might like, and people tend to do so in a fanboyish manor themselves. It is just best to look at it objectively as a consumer, and let the numbers speak for themselves. AMD has a shot at redemption here, and i am sure even the Intel fans are rooting for them to succeed (it would be in their best interest too, because it will drive better competition for improvement and product costs). Let's just hope AMD takes it a little more seriously this time.

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

I think with their rumored upcoming CPUs nexts year, Intel may have some competition. Here's the thing, though. AMD may be cheaper and maybe not have CPUs that are as fast at Intel's, but the price to performance in amds products are amazing. Take dual 290s from windforce. Theyre overclockable, and two, as demonstrated in the ultumate surround build, performed very well in modern triple A titles. While costing about 450 ish dollars.

Why do you say unfortunately?

Because I think it's ridiculous how low AMD's market share is when they build great GPU's. For as competitive they are in performance and pricing they really deserve better than half the market share Nvidia has.

4K // R5 3600 // RTX2080Ti

Better solution:

• Profit.

• Make up insane numbers, and call it CEOMath, people will find it awesome, because CEO's wear leather jackets, and drive sportscars.
  • Give your proprietary middleware API's away for free, but be sure, the game ONLY works with that and nothing else.
  • 3 words: Vendor lock in! If it works with other brands, it sucks. Not only can your customers no longer switch, without huge costs, but you can even charge higher prices, and people will LOVE you for it!

... I made myself sad okayguy.jpg

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

I think with their rumored upcoming CPUs nexts year, Intel may have some competition. Here's the thing, though. AMD may be cheaper and maybe not have CPUs that are as fast at Intel's, but the price to performance in amds products are amazing. Take dual 290s from windforce. Theyre overclockable, and two, as demonstrated in the ultumate surround build, performed very well in modern triple A titles. While costing about 450 ish dollars.

With the unfortunate downside that they need a lot of power to run, which is just the cold hard truth. The money you save with purchasing the card(s), you have to invest in a potential more efficient and/or more powerful PSU which is going to be extra costs unfortunately. 

Of course, if you compare it to the 780 for example, the power draw wasn't all that much lower compared to AMD's latest offerings, however nVidia has come out with the 900 series GPU's which are not only faster, but much more efficient. 

Considering that every new (higher end) 300 series card (with the expection of the 390s) is going to be based around the old architecture and the (if they hold any truth) leaked spec tables of said 390(X) is not really going to be competing with nVidia (power draw and temperature department; potential performance should be stellar) which is unfortunate, considering the trend of people downsizing to µATX or even mITX and SFF cases (and PSU's) which simply are not available with specs and/or efficiency to really run such a card or even multiple cards. 

I really, really hope AMD is getting their stuff together soon, because having monopolies like Intel has in the server CPU market just shows how freaking crazy pricing goes. No, but I also want PC hardware to be a revolution instead of an evolution. It's in our best interest, even if someone is a Intel/nVidia fanboy (which I'm not btw, just to make that clear :D

phanteks enthoo pro | intel i5 4690k | noctua nh-d14 | msi z97 gaming 5 | 16gb crucial ballistix tactical | msi gtx970 4G OC  | adata sp900

if AMD worked with some game devs of major companies (rockstar, EA *pukes*,Bethesda you get the point) to make games multi-threaded...that would be a huge leap for them but i don't see

that happening the only way they could possibly top intel because their cores are so weak

if AMD worked with some game devs of major companies (rockstar, EA *pukes*,Bethesda you get the point) to make games multi-threaded...that would be a huge leap for them but i don't see

that happening the only way they could possibly top intel because their cores are so weak

Considering that most of current AAA games are heavily dependend on the GPU's power rather the CPU's power, it makes much more sense to work with devs on optimizing it for a certain GPU (architecture) rather than working on making a PC run better on an outdated CPU architecture like the FX Pliedriver chips, which (let's be honest) still hold up VERY well. 

Not to mention that DICE and EA have been working with AMD very closely with Battlefield, same goes for multiple other titles. 

phanteks enthoo pro | intel i5 4690k | noctua nh-d14 | msi z97 gaming 5 | 16gb crucial ballistix tactical | msi gtx970 4G OC  | adata sp900

Considering that most of current AAA games are heavily dependend on the GPU's power rather the CPU's power, it makes much more sense to work with devs on optimizing it for a certain GPU (architecture) rather than working on making a PC run better on an outdated CPU architecture like the FX Pliedriver chips, which (let's be honest) still hold up VERY well. 

Not to mention that DICE and EA have been working with AMD very closely with Battlefield, same goes for multiple other titles. 

alot of people still use cpus to game anyway because they went to some store a bought a computer is what i was talking about not the enthusiast platform where most of us use high end gpu's and never have much of an issue

Because I think it's ridiculous how low AMD's market share is when they build great GPU's. For as competitive they are in performance and pricing they really deserve better than half the market share Nvidia has.

Well I think users and to a lesser extend press and youtubers are contributing quite a bit: throw in a few "heat your room in the summer!" jokes about the 290x even though the 780ti is almost as high in TDP and people start believing the exaggerations about how they just melt down and run at 150c

-------

Current Rig

-------