So apparently my house is casusing Coil Whine on my PSU

Toxicable

Ive posted a couple of threads relating to this issue but now I think I got it narrowed down pretty tight.

Ive been through 2 of my own PSUs, both had coil whine, one much louder than the other.
Now im using a friend PSU who he's used for over a year now without a peep out of it and yet, it's making a noise.

So it's either something wrong in the house giving it a bad feed, or something along those lines or somehow something else wrong with my computer which has mostly new parts

Ive posted a couple of threads relating to this issue but now I think I got it narrowed down pretty tight.

Ive been through 2 of my own PSUs, both had coil whine, one much louder than the other.

Now im using a friend PSU who he's used for over a year now without a peep out of it and yet, it's making a noise.

So it's either something wrong in the house giving it a bad feed, or something along those lines or somehow something else wrong with my computer which has mostly new parts

Obvious question.....Have you tried taking your computer over to a mate's yet to test it?

Could also be whatever noise the PSU might be making amplified by a bad mount on the case. Try pulling it out with everything still plugged in, and power it up while it's outside the case.

Obvious question.....Have you tried taking your computer over to a mate's yet to test it?

Could also be whatever noise the PSU might be making amplified by a bad mount on the case. Try pulling it out with everything still plugged in, and power it up while it's outside the case.

It's not sitting inside the case - it's definitely coming from inside the PSU

Also I kidna can't take the whole system to my mates (I ride a motorbike) but he does currently have my PSU and is seeing if it's gonna make any noise on him, but by the fact that im using his one that dosent have coil whine and itr's making nosie right now... yeah lol

It's not sitting inside the case - it's definitely coming from inside the PSU

Also I kidna can't take the whole system to my mates (I ride a motorbike) but he does currently have my PSU and is seeing if it's gonna make any noise on him, but by the fact that im using his one that dosent have coil whine and itr's making nosie right now... yeah lol

It's always possible I suppose. Options If you determine it to be the wiring would be a signal filter or a UPS. One would hopefully remove any "noise" from the power feed, and the other would just be giving you battery power 24/7.

There is also the possibility that it's something in your build causing feedback.

lol, is it possible to drop next door to borrow a cup of brown sugar,...Oh, and while your getting it, could I just plug my computer in to check something?

It's always possible I suppose. Options If you determine it to be the wiring would be a signal filter or a UPS. One would hopefully remove any "noise" from the power feed, and the other would just be giving you battery power 24/7.

There is also the possibility that it's something in your build causing feedback.

lol, is it possible to drop next door to borrow a cup of brown sugar,...Oh, and while your getting it, could I just plug my computer in to check something?

Hahaha

Yeah not on the best of terms with neighbors sadly.

I was thinking along the lines of a filter of some sort but the only thing stopping me is that it's hardly buzzing when I first start it up, usually takes several hours before it get's tp an audible level.

Any idea where I might investigate if it's some sort of feed back from the system? 

Hahaha

I was thinking along the lines of a filter of some sort but the only thing stopping me is that it's hardly buzzing when I first start it up, usually takes several hours before it get's tp an audible level.

Any idea where I might investigate if it's some sort of feed back from the system? 

Easiest way I can think of is strip it back to bare essentials. PSU, cpu, cooler, 1 stick of ram. If possible use integrated graphics. see if you can get it to post without the whine. If you can, then start adding components till the PSU starts bitching.

Edit: If it's possible you might even be able to run a self test with nothing plugged in.

Hahaha

Honestly it is probably your system causing the coil whine and not your home electrical.

Sky Pollution | i5 3570k @4.8Ghz | MSi z77a g45 | MSi GTX 770 Gaming 2gb | Samsung 840 Evo 250gb, Samsung OEM 500gb HDD | Corsair CX750m | Corsair 760t White Edition |
Corsair M95 | SuperLux 668b's | Logitech C615 | ViewSonic VX2250wm | Random OEM keyboard until I rage break it and grab another random OEM keyboard from my pile.
Build Log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/186413-sky-pollution-my-white-760t-build-rebuildupgrade/

Honestly it is probably your system causing the coil whine and not your home electrical.

Easiest way I can think of is strip it back to bare essentials. PSU, cpu, cooler, 1 stick of ram. If possible use integrated graphics. see if you can get it to post without the whine. If you can, then start adding components till the PSU starts bitching.

Just tried this, no change. - CPU, 1 Stick of RAM, CPU fan, SSD

Also I probably should have mentioned this sooner but the PSU will still make the noise, after it has started, even when the system is off. It's not untill I unplug it or flip the switch on the back of the PSU that is stops, although even flippign the switch only reduces the noise volume not eliminates it

Just tried this, no change. - CPU, 1 Stick of RAM, CPU fan, SSD

Also I probably should have mentioned this sooner but the PSU will still make the noise, after it has started, even when the system is off. It's not untill I unplug it or flip the switch on the back of the PSU that is stops, although even flippign the switch only reduces the noise volume not eliminates it

Try pulling power from the wall, and flipping the switch on your PSU on (this should discharge any residual charge in your capacitors. Then switch off, plug it back in, and see if it's still whining at startup, or if it builds up.

None of your options are that great if it's still whining. While it could be your home wiring, it's not exactly likely. The only way to elminate it as a problem is to try it somewhere else unfortunately. If you've got some old compatible parts lying around, you could try swapping them out.

Try pulling power from the wall, and flipping the switch on your PSU on (this should discharge any residual charge in your capacitors. Then switch off, plug it back in, and see if it's still whining at startup, or if it builds up.

None of your options are that great if it's still whining. While it could be your home wiring, it's not exactly likely. The only way to elminate it as a problem is to try it somewhere else unfortunately. If you've got some old compatible parts lying around, you could try swapping them out.

Tried this also, no change again. It's whinning from the second I flip the switch back on, so ill just eave it off for now since by tomorrow it should be good to go for a couple of hours before it's back, least I have a laptop meanwhile.

I also understand that it's unlikely to be the house wiring but at this point idk what else could be to blame.

Have you tried running it through an UPS?

If you want to join a really cool Discord chatroom with some great guys here from LTT and outside this community then PM me!

Have you tried running it through an UPS?

Sadly I dont have access to a UPS but im guessing something along those lines might be my next plan

Sadly I dont have access to a UPS but im guessing something along those lines might be my next plan

It will take your house power and run it through a battery and then spit clean power out the other side. Also if lightning hits your house it will fry your UPS, not your PC.

If you want to join a really cool Discord chatroom with some great guys here from LTT and outside this community then PM me!

It will take your house power and run it through a battery and then spit clean power out the other side. Also if lightning hits your house it will fry your UPS, not your PC.

Yeah, it's just a cost thing for me at the moment

Might I recommend these http://earplugsonline.com/?gclid=CPu5iJ7-scUCFdgSvQodEXAAawAs a cheap temporary solution?

/jk

Oh I have some reasonable over ear headphones which usually do a okayjob of drowning it out with some music but my room is right next to my flatmates and the walls are about 2 cm tick so when it gets late I dont really want to be annoying people with my buzzing

Also I don't always want to wear my headset, like when I need to focus on work or something