intel Q8200 vs Q8400 doesnt make any sense !

9justinas9
Go to solution Solved by G33k 4 L1F3,

i thought silicon lottery apply only when overclocking isnt it? i got a 4690k and it doesnt oc above 4.2ghz... thats what i call silicon lottery. stock speeds by manufacturer should be the same as its the same architecture

It is with overclocking; The OP of that reply doesn't know what hes talking 'bout(#nohate)

If it was having problems like silicon lottery at stock, it would have never went through Quality assurance.

I do not know much about Minecraft, but it seems like the server likes your Q8200 more then the Q8400.

I would keep your hopes up, but just use whats better for the server, and even try shooting microsoft a support ticket about it. you never know, they may be able to help (because they own minecraft now :P)

i have minecraft server runing on intel q8200 2.3ghz witch gives me avegage tick rate of about 150-200 ms(lower is better) now i got an other same architecture cpu q8400 witch is 2.6ghz and everything the same 2 cores hyper threaded same architecture same windows same ram but it gives me 200-340ms per tick witch is way worse because it has to process it as quick as possible. oh and even cpu load is about the same 60-70%. what is wrong with that? i dont get it newer cpu with higher clock suppose to be better. and cinebench shows 50points difference (newer has higher score).

on my 4690k the same server runs a bit over 50ms. its a crammed modded ftb ultimate minecraft v1.4.7 world from hermitcraft ending world (from youtube)

can somebody please help me out figure out why better cpu runs server worse?

edit:both of the processors are quad core no HT

edit:

video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgrhonHaA3I

uhm q8400 is not ht, it has 4 cores.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

uhm q8400 is not ht, it has 4 cores.

thanks i didnt notice that but is hyper threading suppose to be better than actual physical cores?

thanks i didnt notice that but is hyper threading suppose to be better than actual physical cores?

no it's not. HT is only imitation of cores.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

For multi-threaded workloads it is beneficial, otherwise they're probably near equivalent for single threaded workloads provided the specs and core performance for each CPU are similar. 

Intel i7 4790k / MSI Z97M / Hyper 212 Evo / MSI Twin Frozr GTX 770 / 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz / Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 / Corsair CS750M / Samsung 840 Evo 250gb SSD /  WD Blue 1TB

no it's not. HT is only imitation of cores.

i know but server tick rate says the different story and now its at 500ms tick rate. cinebench reports that q8400 is better than q8200 but q8200 process ticks quicker that a hell?

For multi-threaded workloads it is beneficial, otherwise they're probably near equivalent for single threaded workloads provided the specs and core performance for each CPU are similar. 

yea but q8400 runs way worse

Could it be so,etching not related to your cpu?

what do you mean? how do i fix the issue?

what do you mean? how do i fix the issue?

Does windows even it that you are using the newer CPU? Most of the time you would need to reinstall windows to replace the old CPU in device manager.

At least check.

There was a giant flame war about whether or not CPU's use drivers, but if a device ia being represented wrong, (in your case, your Q8400 would be looked at as a Q8200 by the OS) this can cause performance issues.

CPU: Pentium G3258 @ 3.2GHz || GPU:(first release,used) MSI R9 270 OC || Motherboard:MSI Z97-G45 Gaming Motherboard || RAM: 8 GB G.Skill Sniper 1600 || Monitors: Vizio 22 in Ultra slim 1080p TV || Storage: Seagate barracuda 160 GB 7200RPM,(REFURB) 1TB toshiba 7200RPM || PSU: (stripped from 2013 CAD PC)Corsair CX600 build was under $420

BE SURE TO FOLLOW YOUR THREADS! READ THIS BEFORE POSTING IN TROUBLESHOOTING!! http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/40334-read-before-asking-for-help/

Does windows even it that you are using the newer CPU? Most of the time you would need to reinstall windows to replace the old CPU in device manager.

At least check.

There was a giant flame war about whether or not CPU's use drivers, but if a device ia being represented wrong, (in your case, your Q8400 would be looked at as a Q8200 by the OS) this can cause performance issues.

ok i will reinstall windowsand report if its better or not. is it possible to install two windows 7 oses on one HD?

edit:manage 4 times says its q8400 cpu in. i thought it could be a problem but i didnt believe

ok i will reinstall windowsand report if its better or not. is it possible to install two windows 7 oses on one HD?

edit:manage 4 times says its q8400 cpu in. i thought it could be a problem but i didnt believe

Well, maybe that isn't the issue after all, Im still looking around, and since it says the current CPU in device manager, i dont see the use of a clean install.

Have you seen if your Mobo needs a bios update?

CPU: Pentium G3258 @ 3.2GHz || GPU:(first release,used) MSI R9 270 OC || Motherboard:MSI Z97-G45 Gaming Motherboard || RAM: 8 GB G.Skill Sniper 1600 || Monitors: Vizio 22 in Ultra slim 1080p TV || Storage: Seagate barracuda 160 GB 7200RPM,(REFURB) 1TB toshiba 7200RPM || PSU: (stripped from 2013 CAD PC)Corsair CX600 build was under $420

BE SURE TO FOLLOW YOUR THREADS! READ THIS BEFORE POSTING IN TROUBLESHOOTING!! http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/40334-read-before-asking-for-help/

Well, maybe that isn't the issue after all, Im still looking around, and since it says the current CPU in device manager, i dont see the use of a clean install.

Have you seen if your Mobo needs a bios update?

its lga 775 socket and bios is so obolete so it has no bios update no nothing. i honestly hate it but now im still doing fresh reinstall just to make sure its not an issue

edit: weird thing about this is cinebench and passmark single core reports that q8400 is better but server says different story

its lga 775 socket and bios is so obolete so it has no bios update no nothing. i honestly hate it but now im still doing fresh reinstall just to make sure its not an issue

edit: weird thing about this is cinebench and passmark single core reports that q8400 is better but server says different story

Yes, very unusual.

I am finding noone else whom is experiencing this same issue. But I found this while surfing about how to improve your server performance:http://www.sk89q.com/2013/03/improving-your-minecraft-servers-performance/

That's why I think it's not the CPU itself. I do not have a fix, but this indicates the problem is somewhere else, software, drivers etc.

I assume that there wouldn't be thermal issues on the server based on load and related to the CPU replacement and heatsink installation.

Hold on a minute. You're running a Minecraft server, correct? You need to know something about the Minecraft server: the 'tick' that you're measuring will only occur on a single thread, unfortunately. The reason for your worse performance with hyper threading is basically because that tick mechanism is using half a core, which makes HT something you want to avoid.

I run a Minecraft server so I know. Avoid HT, and don't rent more cores than you need.

By the way, find a beefier box. Anything above 50ms for a tick is LAG.

He made a mistake neither of those processors are hperthreaded

Corsair 350D - ASUS Maximus V Gene - Intel 3770K @ 4.6Ghz - Corsair H100i - G-skill Trident X 2666Mhz 4x4Gb - 2 x EVGA GTX 680 Classified 4Gb @ 1250Mhz - Corsair 860i - 2 x Samsung 840 Pro 240GB (Raid 0)

Have you tried overclocking the q8200 because as far as i know the q8400 is just higher clocked. I've personally got a q8200 at 2.8ghz stable. It would be interesting to see the results then.

Corsair 350D - ASUS Maximus V Gene - Intel 3770K @ 4.6Ghz - Corsair H100i - G-skill Trident X 2666Mhz 4x4Gb - 2 x EVGA GTX 680 Classified 4Gb @ 1250Mhz - Corsair 860i - 2 x Samsung 840 Pro 240GB (Raid 0)

That's why I think it's not the CPU itself. I do not have a fix, but this indicates the problem is somewhere else, software, drivers etc.

I assume that there wouldn't be thermal issues on the server based on load and related to the CPU replacement and heatsink installation.

nope no thermal issues what so ever runing in 50ies on load and clean install didnt help either

Hold on a minute. You're running a Minecraft server, correct? You need to know something about the Minecraft server: the 'tick' that you're measuring will only occur on a single thread, unfortunately. The reason for your worse performance with hyper threading is basically because that tick mechanism is using half a core, which makes HT something you want to avoid.

I run a Minecraft server so I know. Avoid HT, and don't rent more cores than you need.

By the way, find a beefier box. Anything above 50ms for a tick is LAG.

i know its as i said almost 4gb world from FTB ultimate on hermitcraft server. well i dont know about you but hyper threaded 2 cores q8200 runs better (150-200ms) while q8400 4cores no HT runs at arround 220-400ms. i know its lagging. but its like a test for future server. and i own this machine

edit sorry both q8200 and q8400 is 4 cores no HT i thought it was HT because of branding core 2 quad

He made a mistake neither of those processors are hperthreaded

sorry i made a mistake because of branding core 2 quad yes both of them are quad cores no HT 

Have you tried overclocking the q8200 because as far as i know the q8400 is just higher clocked. I've personally got a q8200 at 2.8ghz stable. It would be interesting to see the results then.

how do i overclock? im not familiar with old stuff. bios is kinda useless idk please help

-Edit- NVM, This guy voided my post

what do you mean?

nope no thermal issues what so ever runing in 50ies on load and clean install didnt help either

See if OCing the q8200, and see if the performance improves. Im getting the idea that maybe the CPU is just bad. (Low quality silicon)

And Overcloxking is pretty easy, just need to understand multipliers, and what voltages mean the most.