Laptop or Desktop

I'm debating if I should get a laptop or a desktop. I look at laptops for their portability. But I also need some performance. Thus I'm stuck.

I'm going to use my computer for:

game creation

physic simulation

video and photo editing

and general entertainment

All opinions and advice is appreciated.

Go with desktop.... It's cheaper than a laptop but still have the power to do those. Laptop is for light use, desktop is for both light and heavy usage.

Where I hang out: The Garage - Car Enthusiast Club

My cars: 2006 Mazda RX-8 (MT) | 2014 Mazda 6 (AT) | 2009 Honda Jazz (AT)

PC Specs

Indonesia

CPU: i5-4690 | Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 | Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB | Power Supply: Corsair CX500 | Video Card: MSI GTX 970

Storage: Kingston V300 120GB & WD Blue 1TB | Network Card: ASUS PCE-AC56 | Peripherals: Microsoft Wired 600 & Logitech G29 + Shifter

Australia 

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G | Motherboard: MSI - B450 Tomahawk | Memory: Mushkin - 8GB (1 x 8GB) | Storage: Mushkin 250GB & Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB
Video Card: GIGABYTE - RX 580 8GB | Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower | Power Supply: Avolv 550W 80+ Gold

buy the desktop that has all the power you need, and a smaller cheaper laptop for when your on the go or away from home for awhile, and connect them so you can remote-in to the desktop and still get stuff done on the cheaper laptop.

Laptops have gotten pretty close to their desktop counterparts especially in terms of graphics, but you will have to spend more. So if you can spend the money and deal with the less modularity and upgradability why not give a laptop a go, otherwise get a desktop. 

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

I would say that it would come down to how you use computing resources.

By which I mean do you REALLY need to have a strong computer wherever you go?

If you need to be doing your work on the go, the laptop would be a no brainer. If not, a desktop computer does have a lot to offer over laptops, mostly due to high end parts for things such as gaming, simulation, and video editing/rendering require power that current batteries can't sustain for very long.

I personally feel that for a workstation, a desktop reigns supreme. But that's because I tend to favor doing large majority of my work (and gaming) at my desk, as opposed to on-the-go or heaven forbid at a cafe. In the off-cases that I am traveling and I do need to do some schoolwork, which a good majority of it is either word processing, pencil and paperwork, or programming (in which I just SSH into the school's servers), I bring along my Asus eeePC, which works well for all the tasks I need it to, plus some light entertainment (web-surfing and watching videos/movies), barring the stupid PowerVR shit Intel pulled with the Atom processor -_-

But yeah, you should ask yourself; do you REALLY need the portability? If yes, laptops are great for that; if no, desktops are sure to be the best option.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 Motherboard: ASRock H97M Anniversary RAM: Kingston HyperX 1600MHz 8GB (2x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 750Ti
Case: Corsair Air 240 White Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 500GB PSU: Corsair CX500 Keyboard: CM Storm Quickfire Rapid (Cherry MX Blue)
Mouse: SteelSeries Kinzu V2 Operating System: Windows 8.1N

the more relevant question is your budget and applications and then decide from there.

Everything you need to know about AMD cpus in one simple post.  Christian Member 

Wii u, ps3(2 usb fat),ps4

Iphone 6 64gb and surface RT

Hp DL380 G5 with one E5345 and bunch of hot swappable hdds in raid 5 from when i got it. intend to run xen server on it

Apple Power Macintosh G5 2.0 DP (PCI-X) with notebook hdd i had lying around 4GB of ram

TOSHIBA Satellite P850 with Core i7-3610QM,8gb of ram,default 750hdd has dual screens via a external display as main and laptop display as second running windows 10

MacBookPro11,3:I7-4870HQ, 512gb ssd,16gb of memory

$2000-$3000 budget. And I'm going to be working a lot in Unreal Engine 4.

Also the only reason I'm considering a laptop is the portability factor.

A laptop is a viable option for that budget. in fact linux tech tips/ncix has looked at many suitable options. you basically want a gaming laptop in that range  of pricepoints.

It should be noted though if you spend that money on a desktop you will get more overall peformance and upgrade flexibility. However is portabilty is more important there is plenty of suitable gaming laptops.

Everything you need to know about AMD cpus in one simple post.  Christian Member 

Wii u, ps3(2 usb fat),ps4

Iphone 6 64gb and surface RT

Hp DL380 G5 with one E5345 and bunch of hot swappable hdds in raid 5 from when i got it. intend to run xen server on it

Apple Power Macintosh G5 2.0 DP (PCI-X) with notebook hdd i had lying around 4GB of ram

TOSHIBA Satellite P850 with Core i7-3610QM,8gb of ram,default 750hdd has dual screens via a external display as main and laptop display as second running windows 10

MacBookPro11,3:I7-4870HQ, 512gb ssd,16gb of memory

$2000-$3000 budget. And I'm going to be working a lot in Unreal Engine 4.

Also the only reason I'm considering a laptop is the portability factor.

For the price you've got, I would say Desktop, you'll have more options to upgrade later, generally Desktops are much better than laptops in terms of power.

Laptops will generally produce a lot of heat, far less upgrade options.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

Desktop.. I doubt a laptop will handle your needs also a desktop is way more comfortable to work on and like mentioned you have unlimited options to upgrade where-as the laptop is really limited.

I would say go for a desktop ... but that said if you need portability you might want to look at these links.

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/lenovo/y-series/y50-uhd/

http://gaming.msi.com/products/notebook/gt-series

Main work PC:Surface Pro 3 i3 with a 128 GB micro sd card

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/367001-nixie-tube-clock-build-log-and-plans/

Why not both if you have that kind of money? Perhaps not so much a gaming laptop, but something serviceable on the go?

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 Motherboard: ASRock H97M Anniversary RAM: Kingston HyperX 1600MHz 8GB (2x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 750Ti
Case: Corsair Air 240 White Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 500GB PSU: Corsair CX500 Keyboard: CM Storm Quickfire Rapid (Cherry MX Blue)
Mouse: SteelSeries Kinzu V2 Operating System: Windows 8.1N

What matters the most is how much you have to travel. If you are only away from home a few times a year a desktop would be the best choice, but if you are on the road constantly, like I am, you would never get any use from your desktop. Some people will say "but you can remote into your desktop" and this of course is true but those extra steps will become annoying, and if you are doing editing of any kind the latency would kill you. One thing to keep in mind, if you do travel a lot, is that if you ever stop traveling  you can always beef up a cheaper desktop as opposed to having to start from scratch. In my current life situation I have decided to get a bit higher end laptop and built a smaller less powerful desktop that is still capable and useful when I am at home. 

FOR THE WAFFLES!!!