Sli optimised 970

beach_boy98

So on twitter asus north america announced an sli optimised 970. This is not much different from the normal 970 but supposedly runs cooler and has a slightly higher clock speed. I personally like the cooler design but it is personal preference.

Original source:http://www.asus.com/us/Graphics_Cards/TURBOGTX970OC4GD5/ 

I remember hearing that these designs are REALLY LOUD!

Because he had a hard drive.

I suck at quotes and stuffs

I quote from the website:

'Dual-intake blower design with 10% larger dissipation area, delivering 10% cooler and vastly quieter performance'

Actually this is not a typical blower style it has intake from the top of the card as well so in theory and according to Asus it might perform better. I'd love to see this one tested @Slick

-------

Current Rig

-------

Actually this is not a typical blower style it has intake from the top of the card as well so in theory and according to Asus it might perform better. I'd love to see this one tested @Slick

My Point is the fact that what Manufactures says isn't always true

Because he had a hard drive.

Hilarious. Apparently having the fan draw air form a place that's not blocked by another card improves cooling. Whodathunkit.

Seriously why this like the first card to think of this?

4Gigs of Vram Asus please.... ( ͡͡ ° ͜ ʖ ͡ °)

It's a 970, it has 4GB. Did you mean 8GB? Because that would be pointless imo.

This is the perfect card for SLI configurations.

Thin and blower style , oh and the blower is better than reference ? Bring it on.

I really like this card ,  it looks like a great option for tightly packed SLI configurations.

And it looks cool.

4Gigs of Vram Asus please.... ( ͡͡ ° ͜ ʖ ͡ °)

All 4gbs are there just 512mb is a lot slower than the rest.

My Point is the fact that what Manufactures says isn't always true

Yes so instead of immediate dismissal testing should be done, preferably by the kind of people who do that for a living and create a forum so you can comment on the products, the news and their reviews.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Lol just above this post there is an ad with the SLI optimized 970 :D

Lol just above this post there is an ad with the SLI optimized 970 :D

The targeted ads are real.

They're like jet engines (at least my GTX470 was). Personally I would go with a dual or triple fan card because a lot of them can run with with the fans off at idle and they're pretty quiet under load.

CPU: Core i7 4770K @ 3.5GHz Motherboard: ASUS Z87-EXPERT RAM: Corsair Vengeance 32GB (4x8GB) 1600 MHz GPU(s): EVGA GTX 980 Classified SLI Case: Coolermaster HAF X Storage: Samsung 256 GB 840 Pro, 2x2TB WD Caviar Black, 2x4TB WD Green PSU: Corsair AX860 860W Display: LG 31MU97-B 4K(4096x2160) and Dell S2716DG 27in 2K 1440p 144hz, Cooling: Noctua NH-D15 Keyboard: Corsair K70 with Cherry MX Blue switches Mouse: Razer Naga Epic Chroma and Death Adder Chroma Sound:Audioengine D1 Dac and Sennheiser HD650 Operating System: Win 10 Pro

I got blower 680s they are not quiet when a game pushes them, idle is fine, gaming is fine, but when you pause the game or tab out of the game when running borderlesswindow you are going to very much notice it.

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

Shouldn't be that loud (theoretically). The fan has double intake so shouldn't need to spin that fast.

I alsmot made a post about this, I have seen ads on the forum for them for a few days now but I assumed someone would beat be to it.

Anyone got any word on pricing for these things? I imagine they're gonna be cheaper than the STRIX 970 and maybe even cheaper than that wierd looking mini-970 they did. Can't find any price listings here in the Netherlands as of right now though

Intel Core i5 2500K @ 3.30GHz MSI Radeon R9 290 Gaming 4G | Asus P8H61-M Evo Rev B Kingston ValueRAM KVR1333D3N9K2/8G Scythe Mugen 2 Rev. B Samsung 840 Evo 512GB Seagate Barracude 7200.12 ST3500413AS, 500GB Samsung Spinpoint 1TB 5400RPM OCZ ZS Series 650W Cooler Master Elite 430 Windowed Logitech LS21 Creative Fatal1ty Logitech G500 Razer BlackWidow 2010 | 2x Dell U1214H | 1x Ilyama ProLite E2407HDS

10% cooler than reference, so does that mean it's cooler than, let's say a G1 Gaming? I was about to do a build for a friend in a month or two and picking a G1. Would this be a better option if it delivers on pair performance?

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

It depends on the cooling option you have.

For a small build, a blower style cooler is better since it will throw all that heat out through the back of the card, instead of spreading it into the case, therefore raising the temps in the case.

For a normal, mid tower build, i think the open air coolers are marginally better.

MARS_PROJECT V2 --- RYZEN RIG

Spoiler

CPU: R5 1600 @3.7GHz 1.27V | Cooler: Corsair H80i Stock Fans@900RPM | Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3 | RAM: 8GB DDR4 2933MHz(Vengeance LPX) | GPU: MSI Radeon R9 380 Gaming 4G | Sound Card: Creative SB Z | HDD: 500GB WD Green + 1TB WD Blue | SSD: Samsung 860EVO 250GB  + AMD R3 120GB | PSU: Super Flower Leadex Gold 750W 80+Gold(fully modular) | Case: NZXT  H440 2015   | Display: Dell P2314H | Keyboard: Redragon Yama | Mouse: Logitech G Pro | Headphones: Sennheiser HD-569

Just how the hell are these SLI optimized??? Blower style cooler? 

I think the SLI optimization branding comes from cooling scheme.

The blower style cooler makes the hot air being evacuated through the back off the card.

So each card can and will have access to fresh("cold") air.

Normal, open air,  coolers throw all the hot air inside the case, so in an SLI scenario, the bottom card gets fresh air from the case intakes, while the top one sucks the hot air that is blown by the bottom card, thus getting hotter.

Hot air has a tendancy to go up.

MARS_PROJECT V2 --- RYZEN RIG

Spoiler

CPU: R5 1600 @3.7GHz 1.27V | Cooler: Corsair H80i Stock Fans@900RPM | Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3 | RAM: 8GB DDR4 2933MHz(Vengeance LPX) | GPU: MSI Radeon R9 380 Gaming 4G | Sound Card: Creative SB Z | HDD: 500GB WD Green + 1TB WD Blue | SSD: Samsung 860EVO 250GB  + AMD R3 120GB | PSU: Super Flower Leadex Gold 750W 80+Gold(fully modular) | Case: NZXT  H440 2015   | Display: Dell P2314H | Keyboard: Redragon Yama | Mouse: Logitech G Pro | Headphones: Sennheiser HD-569