[RUMOR - ANONYMOUS] Kinect Costs Almost As Much As the Xbox One

EChondo

http://bgr.com/2013/07/15/microsoft-kinect-costs-xbox-one/

The employee explained that the Kinect plays a major role in the Xbox One experience, adding that Microsoft bundled the sensor with the system to ensure all developers and gamers had access to it for every game. He said that Microsoft took a gamble with the new Kinect sensor, noting that it "costs almost as much as the console to make" and "the success of the Kinect carries much more weight" for Microsoft than the Xbox One.

What do you guys think about this? Of course this is an "anonymous" source, so take it with a grain of salt, but imagine the Xbox One without a Kinect? It would cost around $299 I'd believe, of course heavily subsidized. 

that would be funny :D

He is the hero this forum deserves but not the one it needs right now.So we'll hunt him because he can take it because he is not our hero he is a silent guardian 

a watchful protector A Dark Knight

i dont understand why they dont do a non kinect version it would be way more competitive and also thats what most people what.

I sure am never going to kinect.

My Build  CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955@4.1@Ghz Mobo: Asus M5A99x Evo R2.0 GPU: Asus 7870T @1.25GHz Core 5.5GHz Mem Ram: Kingston HyperX@ 1600 9-9-9-24 CPU Cooler: H80 Push/Pull Noctua NF-P12  SSD: Samsung 128GB 840 PRO HDD: Mix of drives which add up to 5.6TB SoundCard: Asus xonar DGX PSU: Corsair HX650 + alchemy cables Case: R3 with the rest of the fans being fractel fans.

Im A Snake.....

i dont understand why they dont do a non kinect version it would be way more competitive and also thats what most people what.

Agreed. Completely.

PC: 5600x @ 4.85GHz // RTX 3080 Eagle OC // 16GB Trident Z Neo  // Corsair RM750X // MSI B550M Mortar Wi-Fi // Noctua NH-D15S // Cooler Master NR400 // Samsung 50QN90A // Logitech G305 // Corsair K65 // Corsair Virtuoso //

I HIGHLY doubt the kinect costs $300. Sorry, not plausible.

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

The reason that they want to bundle a kinect as mandatory is this:

One of the major complaints about the original Kinect is that it was HARDLY ever used, and generally not very well. The reason why? Because developers couldn't code with the Kinect in mind without locking out a huge group of their potential customers.

Now that there will be a Kinect with every Xbox One, Developers can take more risks and be more creative with Kinect integration of games, since they KNOW that every Xbox One customer will have one.

Yes, this drives the cost of the Xbox One up, but it also will drive the developers to create better and more engaging Kinect games.

Yes there are some people (such as yourself) that believe the Kinect shouldn't even exist at all, but gesture and motion control IS going to be part of our gaming future in some form or another.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Yes there are some people (such as yourself) that believe the Kinect shouldn't even exist at all, but gesture and motion control IS going to be part of our gaming future in some form or another.

Yeah and that worked out so well for the Wii huh?

If that's true, the kinnect cost about $300 in each sale and the console $200.

With Xbone, you pay $500 and get a $200 console.

PS4 you pay $400 and get a $400 console.

Microsoft what are you doing.

“Snorting instant coffee is the best,” said Kayla Johns, 19, of Portland.

Well now we know Sony will be making an absolute SH!TLOAD more money than M$ this time...  :P

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

Yeah and that worked out so well for the Wii huh?

Despite whatever flaws you may think the Wii has, it still sold over 100 million units (which is more than either Xbox 360 or PS3). Yes the Xbox 360 and PS3 sold way more games, but even so, 100 million consoles sold is quite impressive none the less.

I also believe that the Kinect is more useful than the Wii, because you still have a VERY functional traditional controller (I've always preferred the Xbox 360 pad over the PS3 controller), mixed with the full body sensing capabilities of the Kinect. Most games probably won't use the Kinect in some crazy super heavy way, but I can definitely see many games using it in a more subtle fashion, such as BF4 is confirmed to do.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Despite whatever flaws you may think the Wii has, it still sold over 100 million units (which is more than either Xbox 360 or PS3). Yes the Xbox 360 and PS3 sold way more games, but even so, 100 million consoles sold is quite impressive none the less.

I also believe that the Kinect is more useful than the Wii, because you still have a VERY functional traditional controller (I've always preferred the Xbox 360 pad over the PS3 controller), mixed with the full body sensing capabilities of the Kinect. Most games probably won't use the Kinect in some crazy super heavy way, but I can definitely see many games using it in a more subtle fashion, such as BF4 is confirmed to do.

Hey, all I'm saying is yes the Wii was successful, but I doubt many of us even touch it nowadays let alone touched it after the first 3 months of owning one.

I don't believe it. I can see the kinect costing maybe $100-150 MSRP. It is a lot more advanced than what the first one was but it is a single lens camera with some features. I definitely don't believe it costs anywhere near $300 to produce though.

Since they are mandatory I can't see them being on sale in the store for $300 when someone breaks theirs.

Sager NP9370EM - I7 3630QM - 680m 1045Mhz - 8gb 1600mhz ram - 240gb msata 750gb hdd

The retail here for the Kinect module starts at $149. The xbox with Kinect $324 (bigW) so it could well be true. Go figure...

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

If that's true, the kinnect cost about $300 in each sale and the console $200.

With Xbone, you pay $500 and get a $200 console.

PS4 you pay $400 and get a $400 console.

Microsoft what are you doing.

or maybe, PS4 you pay $400 and get $250 console...

We can assume that the PS4 costs ever so slightly more than the Xbox1 to produce (but really who knows?). How much is this? Who knows.

TBH, with the things I've seen it do, I wouldn't be surprised at the cost. Each consoles hardware isn't anything new, just relatively cheap tech slapped together. The Kinect sensor/hardware seems new/different (is there anything on the market that does all the Kinect does already?), though I don't know how much is done on the software side. That alone would up the price.

I'm interested to see how devs use the Kinect.