How to teach non tech savy how to use a computer

Ruda

Hey. Maybe its a little out of the scope of this forum but I would like to ask you if you could share your experience teaching non tech savy members of your family how to operate technology. 

I would like to say I love your channel and the easy explanations you give to very complex topics. Thank you Linus and the whole team. 

I really like the Idea of your project.

I would like to make as a teacher in training to make something similar like tech quickie for pedagogical purposes. I would like to ask you guys what i should teach the kids for IT. 

Thank you very Much

Radek. S Form Technical University of Liberec

tell them, that for the next week they can only use alt+97 / 98 / 99 / 100  etc. to write

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

What specifically

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

What would you like them to learn?

- Software: Programming, Development etc

- Hardware : Networking, Router, The Internet

- Computer Usage/ Safety: Dangers of the Internet, Word, Powerpoint (If dealing with young kids)

I think some basic coding like maybe python or making pages: HTML could be fun.

That time I saved Linus' WiFi pass from appearing on YouTube: 

A sudden Linus re-appears : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/390793-important-dailymotion-account-still-active/

Lynda.com

I just tell them that a graphics cards make the picture look pretty

The weird kid in the corner eating glue
“People think that I must be a very strange person. This is not correct. I have the heart of a small boy. It is in a glass jar on my desk.” - Stephen King

Hey. Maybe its a little out of the scope of this forum but I would like to ask you if you could share your experience teaching non tech savy members of your family how to operate technology. 

I would like to say I love your channel and the easy explanations you give to very complex topics. Thank you Linus and the whole team. 

I really like the Idea of your project.

I would like to make as a teacher in training to make something similar like tech quickie for pedagogical purposes. I would like to ask you guys what i should teach the kids for IT. 

Thank you very Much

Radek. S Form Technical University of Liberec

What part of IT are you trying to teach? For me, I've talked to a lot of non-tech savvy clients about their computer questions by using analogies and simpler language. 

Main Rig: Illya V2, the Tiny Titan: ||i7 8700k 5GHz @ 1.385v (delidded)|| ||NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE|| ||KrakenZ63|| ||ASRock Z390-Phantom-ITX/ac|| ||Corsair SF750||

2nd Rig: Illya V1, the Air Cooled Prodigy: ||i7 4790k 4.4GHz @ 1.3v|| |NVIDIA RTX 2080 FE|| ||Be Quiet! Dark Rock 2|| ||ASRock Z87-E|| ||SeaSonic G-Series 550w (Carbon Fiber Mod)||

Captain isHypnophobic of the LTT Conglomerate.

*Linus appears*

I don't know about you, but I think that LYNDA.COM is the perfect place for ANY member of the family to learn how to use computers properly!!!!!

*Linus disappears into the mist, searching for new sponsors*

"Do as I say, not as I do." 

Step 1) Give up

Step 2) Book them into a local computer class

Step 3) Crack open a frosty one 

Just kidding (although local classes ARE a great idea) - generally the best way to teach, is to let them work it out with you watching and guiding - dont just go like " here let me show you" - because they will never learn a thing

Start off SUPER basic - take them on a tour of the PC - treat them like  a child - explain what each piece of equiptment does, explain how the desktop works, explain how file explorer works - explain how the address and search bar works 

I used to train people in my old job so I got quite good at it

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I always use games

it works for almost every person that I know (except my father)

ofcourse it differ for each personality

for example my uncle, he can't use computer, he loves to play chess, unfortunately there are no competitive person around to play with so I introduce him to online chess

my mother, he loves playing mini-games, unfortunately I don't like android solution because micro-transaction, so I get her laptop instead.

my friends, I start with games they love to play, and mostly on consoles, so I teach them how to use emulator

past forward 10 years later.... at least almost everyone have their own personal computer.

My grandma is 83 and uses Windows with no issues. lel

I thought I had some money... Oh wait... I spent it all ;(

Give them a DOS-only PC and they will learn every command under the sun and use the computer effectively, give them a GUI and all of a sudden its the most complicated thing in the world.

Logic

Scrapyard Build Total Cost: $268AUD

C2Q E8200 | 4 x 1gb DDR2 | GA-EP45-DS3 r1 | Gammax 200 | 320gb 2.5" | 7870LE PCS | Litepower 500w | CISCO Aironet 350

A friend of mine was teaching my computers and he got me to think intel and nvidia are way better than amd. Now I'm teaching him about why AMD is just as good and why he shouldn't be biased. 

Born too early to explore the galaxy, born too late to explore the seas, born just in time to make memes.

Not as easy as it seems and you can really only do it on a small scale (i.e if the internet is messing up, just unplug the power and wait 10 seconds to plug it back in).

My Main PC:

CPUi5 3570k CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper T4 Motherboard: Asus p8z77-v pro  RAM: Crucial Balistic 2x4gb  GPU: Two PNY GTX 680's in SLI Case: Some rando Antec one  PSU: Thermaltake 1000w  Display: HP Elite Display 321i 23''  Storage: Samsung 840 Evo 128gb, Seagate Barracuda 1tb

Teach them how to use microsoft word and excel

Its i learnt in high school ICT