HBO wants to take down VLC Media Player

GoodBytes

HBO has asked Google to take down VLC Media Player as a copyright infringe as an attempt to, you guessed it, stop piracy of it's TV show, the most pirated, Games of Thrones.

HBO also has sent a DMCA takedown notice to Google. This request from HBO, is part of 14,855,269 URLs that Google is asked to take down for copyright infrigement

Makes no sense?T he reason for this, is that HBO and companies, simply use an automated system.

Copyright holders use automated systems to create the lists, and that means that non-infringing material sometimes ends up on the DMCA request by accident. Google does keep a close eye on the lists, but of course, it can’t catch all mistakes.

It did however, catch something amiss on HBO’s recent DMCA notice. Included in the list of links that usually only contains pirate sites, there was a link to the URL for downloading VLC, a popular media player. The URL does link to a torrent site, but since VLC is free, there isn’t any infringing material to speak of. Further more, the list contains links to Prince of Persia 5, various free Java applets, Naruto and even a Ben Harper album, neither of which have anything to do with Game of Thrones or HBO.

Here’s the list, with VLC highlighted

vlc-got.png

Read more: http://vr-zone.com/articles/hbo-wants-to-take-down-vlc-media-player-for-infringment/45476.html#ixzz2Z8o1NFsa

This is a bit concerning, as what happens if Google does an error on a small legitimate site and ban or down ranks them? What happens now to the site owner?

HBO has asked Google to take down VLC Media Player as a copyright infringe as an attempt to, you guessed it, stop piracy of it's TV show, the most pirated, Games of Thrones.

HBO also has sent a DMCA takedown notice to Google. This request from HBO, is part of 14,855,269 URLs that Google is asked to take down for copyright infrigement

Makes no sense?T he reason for this, is that HBO and companies, simply use an automated system.

Read more: http://vr-zone.com/articles/hbo-wants-to-take-down-vlc-media-player-for-infringment/45476.html#ixzz2Z8o1NFsa

This is a bit concerning, as what happens if Google does an error on a small legitimate site and ban or down ranks them? What happens now to the site owner?

So they want to ban a media player because it was used to watch their material... 

There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Just some helpful stuff: You're - You are, Your - Your car, They're - They are, Their - Their car, There - Over there.

Folding @ Home Install Guide and Links | My Build

Companies theses days are to lazy to actually look around and see what they are claiming or flagging. There is also a large amount of torrent so I guess they couldn't be bother to look through them. So everyone gets a claim!

Quote me to get a reply!

Discussion topic perhaps ?

It is news though ...

There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Just some helpful stuff: You're - You are, Your - Your car, They're - They are, Their - Their car, There - Over there.

"OMG, someone has downloaded a show from us on a torrent website and they're watching it on VLC, let's ban it so they absolutly cannot watch the show on there computer because there are absolutly no other media player"

Genius HBO, genius.

VIDEO GAMES                                  Max Power Build Log

WAN show discussion topic is what I meant.

Ahh, Sorry

That is one of those things that confuses me... who goes to torrent sites to download software you can get from the publisher page? I've seen stuff like 7zip on torrent sites. Do some people download everything using torrents?

WAN show discussion topic is what I meant.

Could be interesting, especially if they do it next week when Logan is there. 

Back to topic: 

Shouldn't there be some sort of punishment for companies when they try to remove something(where they haven't got the copyright) for copyright infringement?

If there was such a thing it would force the companies to sort through what DMCA takedown requests they  send. Then they would only send requests for things where they actually have the copyright. 

If this wasn't an automated request and someone actually wants to remove VLC because some(all?) people who use it watch torrented movies/shows. Wouldn't that be like making it illegal to drive a certain car just because some people use it to smuggle drugs?

Fractal Design Define R2 | ASUS Sabertooth X58 | 3x2GB Corsair 1600MHz | Intel Core i7 950 @ 4.0GHz w/ Corsair H60 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 470 OC | Corsair HX750W | Storage: | Boot: Corsair Force 3 120GB | Samsung F3 1TB | Western Digital Green 2TB |

vlc is opensource

and free to download from www.videolan.org

I dont see why anyone would use the torrent linked in the Topic Start? :P

Because there are enough mirrors to download it :)

CPU: i7 3930K 3.2Ghz on Noctua NH-U14S| RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance @1600Mhz + 32GB Kingston Beast @ 1866Mhz | MBO: Asus P9X79 | GPU: ASUS GTX970 STRIX | SSD: Samsung 840 PRO 256GB + Crucial M500 480GB  |  HDD: 2*3TB Seagate | PSU: Cooler Master 850m2 850W | Case: Cooler Master Cosmos Pure Black

Dell P2715Q, 4K @t 60Hz :)

"Makes no sense?T he reason for this, is that HBO and companies, simply use an automated system."

Obviously this is the reason it was flagged, happens all the time on Youtube.

The only problem I see is people like the OP posting blatantly MISLEADING subjects.

Not really sure how they think taking down a media player is going to stop torrenting... makes no sense to me.

jbr, on 15 Jul 2013 - 4:03 PM, said:

"Makes no sense?T he reason for this, is that HBO and companies, simply use an automated system."

Obviously this is the reason it was flagged, happens all the time on Youtube.

The only problem I see is people like the OP posting blatantly MISLEADING subjects.

While automated. They approve it. So that means they want it VLC out.

That is one of those things that confuses me... who goes to torrent sites to download software you can get from the publisher page? I've seen stuff like 7zip on torrent sites. Do some people download everything using torrents?

I hope not!

If it's free/open source, download it from the creators website!

I caught my brother downloading Chrome through some site like softpedia or whatever. Idiot.

Am I the only one here that noticed this 

Hbo is linking to a torrent website not vlc's main website big difference 

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

I hope not!

If it's free/open source, download it from the creators website!

I caught my brother downloading Chrome through some site like softpedia or whatever. Idiot.

I download all my stuff from file hippo and ninite I don't see a problem in that

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

who cares of Vlc is a good media player or not...why are they being targeted by HBO? You would imagine a company like HBO would have smarter people working for them.  Might as well take down Google drive also because you can play back video files within Google drive itself. 

I download all my stuff from file hippo and ninite I don't see a problem in that

File Hippo I'm sketchy about, Ninite is fine.

I'm more worried about sites that download EXTRA stuff alongside your downloads. Ask, Yahoo, Bing Toolbars, etc.

File Hippo I'm sketchy about, Ninite is fine.

I'm more worried about sites that download EXTRA stuff alongside your downloads. Ask, Yahoo, Bing Toolbars, etc.

Most free software asks you that :) 

Like avg and ccleaner :p 

Softpedia and filehippo are well known since pre 2007 how don't you know about them :p