Hugo Barra claims microSD will disappear in smartphone

Although the price premium is a bummer, I'm all for phones getting rid of sd cards. All of Hugo's points were valid.

I don't think they were. Here are his 2 points and here are my responses to them.

Point 1) They would have to compromise the design.

You could say this about anything. The phone already has 2 SIM card slots but obviously they thought that was worth the miniscule increase in size it adds. I see people every day say that they would gladly have their phones slightly thicker if it meant they could have a bigger battery. At some point phones will get thin enough, and I think we have already passed that point. You can see this with for example the iPhone 6 and Galaxy S 6. They are really thin but don't feel that good in the hand compared to some thicker phones with curved backs.

Point 2) Performance and reliability.

There are high performance SD cards on the market. You can't seriously suggest that "some people end up buying cheap knockoffs that don't perform well" is a good argument for just flat out removing it altogether. A lot of people buy cheap USB memory stick as well. Should Microsoft therefore remove all support for USB memory sticks in Windows? It would certainly stop people from getting low performance from their USB memory sticks. This logic is mind blowingly bad.

A lot of what he says seems to be based on a misconception that putting a microSD into your phone makes the eMMC slower, which it doesn't. There is no performance compromise in the same way putting a HDD into your desktop alongside an SSD doesn't make your SSD any slower. I have no idea what this guy has been smoking.

You don't need 4k on a damn phone. Most people are already happy with 1080p and say: "This display is super nice!"  And no, you don't, if you don't buy from manufacturers that shaft you.

I might not need 4K movies on my phone (I have several 1080p video files that are well above 10GB too), but I am sure as hell not going to transcode all of my videos just so that I can fit them on my phone because manufacturers are greedy and don't want to sell me proper amounts of storage for reasonable prices. What do you think sound like the best and easiest solution

1) Spend hours transcoding the videos I want to take with me, which also means I have to plan ahead and once I leave the house I can't change my mind.

2) Manufacturers put a microSD card slot in the phone so I can easily and cheaply carry with me however much data I want.

But let's say I for some reason won't watch big video files on my phone, what about recording 4K? Are you going to argue that I shouldn't record 4K with my phone and then show it to my friends on my TV? The Galaxy S6 records with a 48Mbps bit rate. That's 6 megabytes per second. Over 1GB for a 3 minute video. It would be nice to move up to 48 or 60 FPS video as well, which would require even higher bit rates to not compromise the quality.

Can you please point me to a tablet manufacturer that offers reasonably priced 64 or 128GB storage upgrades? I am not aware of any (in fact, I am not aware of any good tablet manufacturer except Sony right now).

You haven't used a Galaxy Note 10.1...

Is that supposed to mean something to me? I use a nokia lumia 822 windows 8 phone lol

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Is that supposed to mean something to me? I use a nokia lumia 822 windows 8 phone lol

The MicroSDcard slot is not particular good on that tablet. Otherwise it is a great tablet

The MicroSDcard slot is not particular good on that tablet. Otherwise it is a great tablet

Oh. I don't own, and probably never will own, a tablet. I don't see the point when I sit at a desktop all day.

Oh. I don't own, and probably never will own, a tablet. I don't see the point when I sit at a desktop all day.

I find it nice for reading books (I use digital for non-fiction nowadays) and comics. I just wish phone and tablet manufacturers only releases a low-internal capacity version if it has a MicroSD card. And yes, I do have issues with apps that reuses to use external storage

I might not need 4K movies on my phone (I have several 1080p video files that are well above 10GB too), but I am sure as hell not going to transcode all of my videos just so that I can fit them on my phone because manufacturers are greedy and don't want to sell me proper amounts of storage for reasonable prices. What do you think sound like the best and easiest solution

1) Spend hours transcoding the videos I want to take with me, which also means I have to plan ahead and once I leave the house I can't change my mind.

2) Manufacturers put a microSD card slot in the phone so I can easily and cheaply carry with me however much data I want.

But let's say I for some reason won't watch big video files on my phone, what about recording 4K? Are you going to argue that I shouldn't record 4K with my phone and then show it to my friends on my TV? The Galaxy S6 records with a 48Mbps bit rate. That's 6 megabytes per second. Over 1GB for a 3 minute video. It would be nice to move up to 48 or 60 FPS video as well, which would require even higher bit rates to not compromise the quality.

Can you please point me to a tablet manufacturer that offers reasonably priced 64 or 128GB storage upgrades? I am not aware of any.

No one needs 4k on their phones. Not only is it more taxing to decode and play back, most phones are only going up to 1440p. 4k vs 1440p... you see the problem here? Not necessary and the phone doesn't even display it natively. Recording 4k is virtually pointless on phones, too. Why? If it were good enough quality to give it reason to be 4k, why would LMG and other companies / people spend thousands of dollars on their recording equipment? Do note: They're even keeping the device still. So it'd be able to focus. Also, I'm pretty sure we're talking about "smartphone", not "tablet." re: Hugo Barra commenting on SD card expansion going away on smartphones. On the basis you live in Sweden, you probably have unlimited data plans with your carrier and coverage is decent, so chances are, you don't need it on your phone right then and there.

Either way, mum, look, $50 for 4x storage.

41CE5It.jpg

I find it nice for reading books (I use digital for non-fiction nowadays) and comics. I just wish phone and tablet manufacturers only releases a low-internal capacity version if it has a MicroSD card. And yes, I do have issues with apps that reuses to use external storage

If I'm reading a book, I prefer an actual book.

Lawlz seems to be the only one making sense here. Storage really needs to improve (in quantity and cost) before microSD should be taken away.

Rig: i7 2600K @ 4.2GHz, Larkooler Watercooling System, MSI Z68a-gd80-G3, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHz CL9, Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 3x 2GB OC, Samsung 840 250GB, 1TB WD Caviar Blue, Auzentech X-FI Forte 7.1, XFX PRO650W, Silverstone RV02 Monitors: Asus PB278Q, LG W2243S-PF (Gaming / overclocked to 74Hz) Peripherals: Logitech G9x Laser, QPad MK-50, AudioTechnica ATH AD700

I don't like the direction that smarphones are taking, I want to be able to expand my storage and change the battery, it's a few millimeters thicker? who cares!??!?!

I'll probably stick with my Galaxy s2 for as long as I can.

SSD for these stupid slow smarphones or nothing.

internal storage/sd cards need to go away cya not going yo miss you.

No one needs 4k on their phones. Not only is it more taxing to decode and play back, most phones are only going up to 1440p. 4k vs 1440p... you see the problem here? Not necessary and the phone doesn't even display it natively.

I see that you missed a big portion of my post. I will quote it again so you don't miss it this time:

Recording 4k is virtually pointless on phones, too. Why? If it were good enough quality to give it reason to be 4k, why would LMG and other companies / people spend thousands of dollars on their recording equipment? Do note: They're even keeping the device still. So it'd be able to focus.

They spend so much because resolution is just 1 part of the equation. By your logic we shouldn't have moved past 480p because "if 720p on a phone was good then we wouldn't have movie studios spending thousands of dollars on their recording equipment".

See how little sense you make? If you keep all the other things the same, 4K will look better than 1080p even on a phone.

Also, I'm pretty sure we're talking about "smartphone", not "tablet." re: Hugo Barra commenting on SD card expansion going away on smartphones. On the basis you live in Sweden, you probably have unlimited data plans with your carrier and coverage is decent, so chances are, you don't need it on your phone right then and there.

Either way, mum, look, $50 for 4x storage.

Read the comment you responded to, and the responses over that. Tablets has been mentioned multiple times. We don't have unlimited data plans in Sweden. We have it for ADSL/Fiber Internet but not cellphone plans. I have a 3GB monthly limit and I would blow though that in less than a day if I didn't swap out a bunch of videos every time I came home.

Yes I know OnePlus has reasonable prices on their storage upgrades. I said that earlier in the thread. That is just 1 company and 1 product though. If you buy any other device you get screwed and I don't think it should be acceptable. Either give me 64GB/128GB for a reasonable price or give me microSD. If you want to make me very happy you give me both. I can't think of a reason not to do both to be honest, other than not being able to extort as much money from your customers as possible.

Apple and Samsung should make dildos because they sure know how to fuck their customers.

But good luck trying to make manufacturers "only" have a 100% profit margin when they have gotten away with 500% profit margin for ages.

Those sorts of margin estimates don't consider labor, research and development, actual cost of building a manufacturing line, time, defective products, marketing (which also includes display, sample, and review units to give away), and many other investments that may come into play of the actual cost of a device. If a company is genuinely getting away with even 100% gross profit margin, they're doing something very right. Apple, a very, very profitable company reported a total gross margin of 40.8% for the second quarter this year, which is actually up from 39.3% (so what's that show about the margin on the "$83" Apple Watch).

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

i need a sd card for music and video. even if they increase the internal memory its going to be like apple where they charge 2x more for 3x the memory

SSD for these stupid slow smarphones or nothing.

internal storage/sd cards need to go away cya not going yo miss you.

im so confused sd cards are external storage. and phones already all have ssds

Those sorts of margin estimates don't consider labor, research and development, actual cost of building a manufacturing line, time, defective products, marketing (which also includes display, sample, and review units to give away), and many other investments that may come into play of the actual cost of a device. If a company is genuinely getting away with even 100% gross profit margin, they're doing something very right. Apple, a very, very profitable company reported a total gross margin of 40.8% for the second quarter this year, which is actually up from 39.3% (so what's that show about the margin on the "$83" Apple Watch).

I am strictly talking about the higher capacity models. There isn't really any extra cost associated with making a phone 64GB instead of 16GB other than the higher cost of the eMMC, and the profit margins on those upgrades are insanely high.

I am strictly talking about the higher capacity models. There isn't really any extra cost associated with making a phone 64GB instead of 16GB other than the higher cost of the eMMC, and the profit margins on those upgrades are insanely high.

Ah, that much I understand. My original was assumption was that you were just another fool that really believed manufacturers actually made the insane profit margins it appears like they are, without considering other costs.

But yea, profit margin on just higher memory capacity is ridiculous, 64GB should be the flagship base, considering these are $750+ devices, and then charging $100 for what's actually a $15 difference from 64GB to 128GB. I understand the desire to make profit, but when a $350 phone like the OnePlus One offers more storage and power than your $750 device, you had better have one hell of a selling point.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

and we should not expect micro sd slots on their flagship devices.

And you can expect me to never buy one of your phones.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO

SD cards make installing ROMs easier and therefore I like them.

As much as i like microsd storage, I have to agree with Hugo here.

I have a Asus T100 tablet, and the difference between a good SD card and a mediocre one even is night and day. Granted the tablet is a windows based one. Saving/reading off the card of different quality can EASILY be felt, with the lousier card taking forever to open in file explorer and also when saving videos. You wanna know what's the scary thing. This particular card and the other card I'm comparing against are rated the same. Class 10. I don't even want to think the possible implications of having apps on this particular SD card on an android phone.

I do agree that size upgrades need to come down in price. But they're businesses after all. It would be UNUSUAL if they don't do things that increase their profit margins.

Without sd card you cant bring extra storage. Lets say when i go to a vacation with sd card i dont need to move anything from my phone, i just need bring as much sd card as i need, but with just only internal storage?? It brings me back when i use SE K550i with 2GB of micro stick thing it was driving me crazy.

PC Spec :

Processor : AMD Ryzen 5 3400G  ; Motherboard : MSI B450 A-Pro MAX ; RAM : Corsair Vengeance LPX White 2 x 8Gb

GPU : Sapphire RX 5500 XT 8GB Pulse ; PSU : Cooler Master MWE Gold 750W, 80+Gold ; SSD : Samsung 860 EVO 250GB ; HDD 2 x WD Blue 1TB 3.5" ; Toshiba 1TB 2.5"

Without sd card you cant bring extra storage. Lets say when i go to a vacation with sd card i dont need to move anything from my phone, i just need bring as much sd card as i need, but with just only internal storage?? It brings me back when i use SE K550i with 2GB of micro stick thing it was driving me crazy.

If you have a cable, pc, and decent sized internal storage(ie at least 64) that shouldnt be an issue

Everything you need to know about AMD cpus in one simple post.  Christian Member 

Wii u, ps3(2 usb fat),ps4

Iphone 6 64gb and surface RT

Hp DL380 G5 with one E5345 and bunch of hot swappable hdds in raid 5 from when i got it. intend to run xen server on it

Apple Power Macintosh G5 2.0 DP (PCI-X) with notebook hdd i had lying around 4GB of ram

TOSHIBA Satellite P850 with Core i7-3610QM,8gb of ram,default 750hdd has dual screens via a external display as main and laptop display as second running windows 10

MacBookPro11,3:I7-4870HQ, 512gb ssd,16gb of memory