Microsoft rumored to announce Android apps support for Windows 10 at Build 2015

Majinferno

Microsoft may finally be ready to announce that Windows 10 devices like smartphones, tablets and PC will be able to run Android apps. The latest rumor claims that the reveal might be made this week at the company's Build 2015 developer conference in San Francisco.

This new report comes from long-time Microsoft journalist Paul Thurrott, who certainly has solid sources inside the company. Microsoft has apparently considered adding Android app support in Windows 10 for some time, but if Thurrott is correct it sounds like the company has decided to pull the trigger on this feature.

Assuming this is correct, there are still a lot of questions about how Windows 10 will offer Android app support. Microsoft will almost certainly have to create its own app store for Android on Windows 10 and it could also support other third-party Android stores like Amazon's.

While Windows 10 users might benefit in the short run with Windows 10 gaining access to hundreds of thousands of new apps. However, it remains to be seen if this will affect Microsoft's own universal app strategy for native Windows 10 apps.

Windows Central will be attending Build 2015 and we will get first-hand information on Microsoft's plans for Windows 10 at the event. Stay tuned!

Source: www.windowscentral.com/microsoft-rumored-announce-android-apps-support-windows-10-build-2015

In class right now. Will leave feedback later :P

Source: www.windowscentral.com/microsoft-rumored-announce-android-apps-support-windows-10-build-2015

In class right now. Will leave feedback later :P

badass

On 11/19/2014 at 2:14 PM, Syntaxvgm said:
You would think Ubisoft would support the Bulldozer based architectures more given their digging themed names like bulldozer, Piledriver, Steamroller and Excavator.

That's pretty dank.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

I will definitely try out the mobile version of win x and I hope I won't be disappointed bD

I'm wondering what they're going to do about all of the system hooks that are being moved into the google play services package?

Hopefully they can re-implement them without google suing, and ideally they'll open source their system. (if they do, there's the advantage of further fragmenting android)

Years! I have no idea why, but this just makes me happy :)

- snip-

If Android apps can be installed on Windows phones, this will most likely help the sales of Windows phones. I have never tried a Windows phone but I heard the UI is great. The only grip in my opinion  about Windows phones is their marketplace and available apps. If you can plug in the Android market store on this, this is a massive improvement.

Maybe my next phone will be a Windows phone ? :)

Sounds like it's useful, unless it means going through Google play or whatever.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

I don't want my efficient WP10 OS getting bogged down by shitty Android app coding. 

I agree, I love Windows Phone; but there are some apps that are just plain missing for WP. Snapchat comes to mind, I would like to be able to use that again, even if it's the android version.

In my opinion and experience the only issue with WP has been the lack of Apps/support for apps. This could be a step in the right direction (as long as it's not a crappy port, otherwise it's the same thing all over again).

As a Web and App developer I'm not sure how they will manage to simply be able to start using Android apps, unless they change how apps are written for WP completely. (Which might as well be using Android with a skin on it at that point I guess).

More [Good] apps for WP is always good though. :)

More good apps = more users = more devs writing good apps = more users! Rinse and repeat. 

I don't want my efficient WP10 OS getting bogged down by shitty Android app coding.

it could be used as a transition point, devs put the apps and if there's grow they most likelly switch to full native code, also the slow down is mostly caused by the os, if ms does a good job on whatever piece of software that make android apps work, they could be better that native android

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

oh wow this will be awesome. it would mean i wouldnt have to pull out my shitty galaxy note 10.1 just to use some basic android apps that WP dont have... but currently WP10 is to sluggishly slow on my lumia 925 and crashed way to much. so ill be holding off befor i try it again. maybe when this support comes ill give it another go. :)

does this mean they will also work on pc since win 10 is meant to be unified.

It has been confirmed during the conference, I am excited!

seriously thats weird

Everything you need to know about AMD cpus in one simple post.  Christian Member 

Wii u, ps3(2 usb fat),ps4

Iphone 6 64gb and surface RT

Hp DL380 G5 with one E5345 and bunch of hot swappable hdds in raid 5 from when i got it. intend to run xen server on it

Apple Power Macintosh G5 2.0 DP (PCI-X) with notebook hdd i had lying around 4GB of ram

TOSHIBA Satellite P850 with Core i7-3610QM,8gb of ram,default 750hdd has dual screens via a external display as main and laptop display as second running windows 10

MacBookPro11,3:I7-4870HQ, 512gb ssd,16gb of memory

seriously thats weird

Even weirder, they are supporting Objective C, the language that iOS apps are written in... you can recompile the exact same code to run on Windows 10!

Sounds like it's useful, unless it means going through Google play or whatever.

Good news, windows isn't supporting the apps stores but allowing IOS and Android apps to be recompiled to run on windows. So developers are able to take the same code and use it to create a windows app.

We also learned that King had already taken the objective C code of the app Candy Crush and made it into a windows app which is the one running on the windows phone store right now being used.

Heh... Windows Phone applications are the real amateur hour.

As another Windows Phone user I can confirm this.

Microsoft fanboys before Build 2015: "Why do you want to use Android? All the good apps are already on Windows Phone. You won't miss anything if you switch."

Microsoft fanboys after Build 2015: "YES!!!! Finally we can run Android apps! This is the best thing ever! Oh this is so glorious that I can now use all the apps we don't have."

The sour grapes were real.

Like Victorious Secret pointed out in the Build day 1 thread, this could be an attempt from Microsoft to apply the so called "Embrace, Extend and Extinguish" tactic. A very evil business tactic which is designed to hurt competitors and standards instead of just competing by having a better product. Very anti-competitive.

Hopefully they won't but Microsoft has done it several times in the past so I don't trust that they won't do it again.

That's a bit subjective. From what I've seen, the stock apps seem to be helpful and serve their purpose

Third party apps for windows phone i tended to find were all over the place.... more so the ios or android.

Everything you need to know about AMD cpus in one simple post.  Christian Member 

Wii u, ps3(2 usb fat),ps4

Iphone 6 64gb and surface RT

Hp DL380 G5 with one E5345 and bunch of hot swappable hdds in raid 5 from when i got it. intend to run xen server on it

Apple Power Macintosh G5 2.0 DP (PCI-X) with notebook hdd i had lying around 4GB of ram

TOSHIBA Satellite P850 with Core i7-3610QM,8gb of ram,default 750hdd has dual screens via a external display as main and laptop display as second running windows 10

MacBookPro11,3:I7-4870HQ, 512gb ssd,16gb of memory