So let me get this straight....people are putting hundreds of dollars into a game that isn't even close to being finished?

Profoundsoup

Your vague post is vague. +1

“Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes. working jobs we hate, so we can buy shit we dont need.”- Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

"Oh, beauty is a beguiling call to death and I'm addicted to the sweet pitch of its siren."- Johnny Quid

"Without our imaginations, we'd be like all those other poor... dullards."- Dr. Hannibal Lecter

Might help to name the game?

I don'T PreSS caPs.. I juST Hit THe keYboARd so HarD iT CriTs :P

Quote or @dzzope to get my attention..

Definently isn't in the Star Citizen subforum or anything...

@Profoundsoup

I honestly don't know... The same people who are investing hundreds are the ones whom say Pre- orders are killing the industry...

Just remember: Random people on the internet ALWAYS know more than professionals, when someone's lying, AND can predict the future.

i7 9700K (5.2Ghz @1.2V); MSI Z390 Gaming Edge AC; Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB 3200 CAS 16; H100i RGB Platinum; Samsung 970 Evo 1TB; Samsung 850 Evo 500GB; WD Black 3 TB; Phanteks 350x; Corsair RM19750w.

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 4K 9750H GTX 1650 16GB Ram 256GB SSD

Spoiler

sex hahaha

Your vague post is vague. +1

Im trying to understand why people would put hundreds of dollars into a game that isnt close to being finished....

Im trying to understand why people would put hundreds of dollars into a game that isnt close to being finished....

So...which game are we talking about exactly?

“Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes. working jobs we hate, so we can buy shit we dont need.”- Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

"Oh, beauty is a beguiling call to death and I'm addicted to the sweet pitch of its siren."- Johnny Quid

"Without our imaginations, we'd be like all those other poor... dullards."- Dr. Hannibal Lecter

Might help to look at the section?

And yes, people are putting hundreds of dollars into a game that isn't even close to being finished. I don't think it's really that simple though.

So...which game are we talking about exactly?

Look up at what section of the forums it is posted in...

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

Might help to look at the section?

And yes, people are putting hundreds of dollars into a game that isn't even close to being finished.

Look up at what section of the forums it is posted in...

Yes...that probably would have helped. Haha

Glenfiddich and forum posting don't always go hand in hand.

Well...I can't say much. I do not own the game so I do not know why people would pour so much money.

I can only assume that they REALLY like the game and feel their money was well spent...why else would someone spend so much money on a game?

HA.. that would help alright.. Though I usually just look at whats in the recent posts and the forum sctions bit is tiny so...

Anywho.

Off I Fuck...

I don'T PreSS caPs.. I juST Hit THe keYboARd so HarD iT CriTs :P

Quote or @dzzope to get my attention..

Yup that's right.

It's a thing for enthusiasts that truly believe in the project, and trust me when I say that people does much more stupid things on their everyday lives.

Yup that's right.

It's a thing for enthusiasts that truly believe in the project, and trust me when I say that people does much more stupid things on their everyday lives.

You know something is wrong when the best answer I get is "Oh it might be stupid but people do much more stupid things"

Because this is a game with the vision a lot of gamers (particularly older ones) wish publishers would take a chance on but they don't any more because it breaks from the mould of "guarantied returns" (COD etc.) so its up to the community to fund such a project. It helps that the project has a strong pedigree behind it too so its not just a vision with no support like a lot of other kickstarters.

There's a lot of innovation in the low risk/low cost indie market but quite frankly the AAA market has gotten stale and this game promises to break away from that stagnation, its a risk that the game wont deliver but I think, in particular gamers from the 90s when the "guarantied income" model wasn't set in stone and developers/publishers were building what they though would be cool and seeing how the market responded, want to see something break away from the modern day cookie cutter games... they happen to be the group that a large chunk of will be well into their carriers so a few hundred dollars falls into the "disposable income" bracket too.

Someone explain this to me 

Many of us remember Chris Roberts's space sims and a few others like the X-Wing/Tie-Fighter series and Freespace, from the days of yore. Games, the likes of which were a bit of an acquired taste even then but were simply the epitome of perfection if you happened to be a space sim junkie.

And we have spent the last 15-20 years watching the PC game market devolve from a niche form of entertainment for a few enthusiasts to a multi-billion dollar behemoth of stale mediocrity, targeted at the lowest common denominator. We have spent the last 15 years lamenting the death of our favorite genre and imagining that it will forever stay in the past because nobody would develop in it, since there would be very little demand.

Enter Chris Roberts, back from the grave, come to show us how wrong we were. :)

Some of us give money to this project (in my case, much more money than I have given for any other game), because we remember what video games were and what they CAN be and in the hopes of regaining a bit of our youth in a shiny new AAA package. Others give money to it for other reasons. It may very well be that many of us could turn out to be wrong and not get what they thought they were paying for. Time will tell.

At this point I, for one, am more or less satisfied with the way my money has been utilized. I have objections and I have suggestions. I have had them since day 1. The thing I noticed recently, however, when I accidentally clicked on the list of threads I have created on the game's official forum, is that a very large part of the objections I have had and the suggestions I have made in the past year are currently no longer valid. So I guess we also keep showering these guys with money, simply because they do something as innovative in the business as listening to and caring for the wishes of their community. :)

I hope this helps.

This game is being crowdfunded, AKA has no enterprises and creditors squeezing their balls making them release an unfinished product that just becomes a money machine. 

We believe that our money (Ive contributed with a bit more of what I payed for other AAA titles) will help create an ultimate game that will allow us several hundreds (or thousands) of hours of gameplay. 

It differs on a pre order in the sense that here we are building the game and seeing it grow, with a preorder you are just buying a promise of a game. You generally can't tell how the game is being developed, or what things you will like or dislike. 

I believe preorders are a horrible thing, they are taking our money before they even present us any sort of playable content. On the other hand, crowdfunded games such as SC, or those which give a pre access gameplay (alfa or beta versions) do deserve our money, as we are helping the development of a game or proyect that cares for its players and that takes into account our feedback.

Planning on trying StarCitizen (Highly recommended)? STAR-NR5P-CJFR is my referal link 

Because they are stupid.

Star Citizen will be the biggest flop in the history of gaming. I'm really looking forward to see how it will change the industry as we know it. They are way too enthusiastic and I don't see the game being as good as people think it will be. 

@Lithicas

People have different expecations for everything. You for one expect it to fail miserably. Let us instead be honest that most people generally act stupid and idiotic, particularly in expecting things about items yet to be released or posting inane points on a forum.

I look forward to what Star Citizen might become but take it all with a grain of salt. I have few expectations but have the money and time to invest and see how it will unfold. Calling every person who has anything to do with an idiot is quite arrogant and idiotic in and of itself, but you are more than entitled to your opinion, just as much as any fanboy/girl entitled to their hype train for every movie and game that ever existed.

Let people do as they will.

Still new, but learning

i7 4790K / GTX 970 G1 Gaming / Maximus VII Hero / Swiftech H240x / Corsair Vengeance Pro 16gb, 1600mhz, cl9 / 850 evo 250GB /

WD Blue 1TB / HX850 / Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Because they are stupid.

Star Citizen will be the biggest flop in the history of gaming. I'm really looking forward to see how it will change the industry as we know it. They are way too enthusiastic and I don't see the game being as good as people think it will be.

Obvious troll is obvious.

I bought into it because I have a friend that hyped it up like crazy to me. I stopped keeping track for a little while but I'm slowly coming back now. As much as I like having tons of games that I can just pick up and play, I want something to keep me glued to my chair on my days off from work. I want to be able to explore a whole universe and fly around in dog fights. I've never played anything like it and I'm super pumped to see what it hopefully becomes.

CPU:i7-4770|Motherboard:Asus Z87-A|RAM:G.Skill 2x8GB|GPU:EVGA GTX780 x2|Case:NZXT Phantom 820|PSU:EVGA 1000W|Monitor: LG 34UC97

This game is significantly different from standard game releases, and being the first of it's kind, I think it can say that it can't be put up to the same standards as AAA preorders. It is a completely different beast of it's own, differing in integrated mechanics no one has dared try to do. Plus a massive fan base that numbers over 885,000 people that are going to be launching with it, I have doubts of it "failing" in the sense that the population levels will dip bellow it's launch numbers.

read my messages in a gleeful tone. 

This game is significantly different from standard game releases, and being the first of it's kind, I think it can say that it can't be put up to the same standards as AAA preorders. It is a completely different beast of it's own, differing in integrated mechanics no one has dared try to do. Plus a massive fan base that numbers over 885,000 people that are going to be launching with it, I have doubts of it "failing" in the sense that the population levels will dip bellow it's launch numbers.

I would actually qualify it as an early-access sort of game that doesn't actually suck for once.

People will post about it not being completed, but I would say that the vast majority of said people haven't actually played the current modules for the game. In regards to mechanics, this game does not pale in comparison to anything else out there. In all actuality, the physics and flight mechanics beat out any other space sim, and is just as engrossing, if not more so than the better flight sims on the market. So in Arena Commander alone, you practically have a AAA quality game in the making, even if the PU doesn't take off.

The FPS and the single player Squadron 42 are practically separate games in and of themselves when you compare them to other games on the market; just keep in mind all the decent number of other fps based games that are full priced and limited in content. If SC's fps gameplay is even halfway decent, then the game already features a scope beyond anything else on the market. Closest thing to compare with is the failure of Dust-Eve collaboration. Squadron 42 is practically expected to be decent, as in this particularly, Roberts has long proven his focus towards quality and his directorial skills in prior games.

All this being said, the only questionable point is whether the mmo/PU aspect will deliver what is needed to keep the game interesting outside of single player and non-pu multiplayer (what AC currently is). Keep in mind, I didn't say match expectations, as that is quite impossible to meet with the sheer numbers of self-entitled and overhyped gamers.

Still new, but learning

i7 4790K / GTX 970 G1 Gaming / Maximus VII Hero / Swiftech H240x / Corsair Vengeance Pro 16gb, 1600mhz, cl9 / 850 evo 250GB /

WD Blue 1TB / HX850 / Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Lolz will be had when this game never comes out.

Lolz will be had when this game comes out.

There is no reason why it wouldn't.