Someone called because my mom had computer issues

Vavetti

Some random person called my mom because there was a problem with my mom's laptop. 

When she said she had to go to cmd I said she should cut off the conversation. 

She could barely speak english so I didn't feel comfortable. 

What could she have done had my mom cooperated?

Some random person called my mom because there was a problem with my mom's laptop. 

Usually they wanr you to install some program similar to TeamViewer, so the person at the telephone can take over the PC.

I guess they wanted to do something similar.

Good thing you stopped her.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

the way they usually work is to direct you to a website where they can take control of your pc. Microsoft will never call you about your pc, neither will anyone else. Hang up on them and forget the call.

Usually they wanr you to install some program similar to TeamViewer, so the person at the telephone can take over the PC.

I guess they wanted to do something similar.

Good thing you stopped her.

Yeah expected something like that.

But I was kinda suprised when she wanted her to go to CMD, and wonder what she would do from then on. 

could have been anything, you can get to most areas of your os through the command prompt (cmd) find out ip addresses, mac address, external ip 

Usually indonesian scammers that want you to install some paid software or teamviewer into your system to fuck it up and ask you to pay to fix it.

It could end pretty badly.

Good thing she ended the call.

How the f does a stranger know that your mom has computer issues?

And then how does he/she know your mom's contact info?

Must be Jesus?

Probably just typing random numbers in a phone and see if someone answers.

Usually indonesian scammers that want you to install some paid software or teamviewer into your system to fuck it up and ask you to pay to fix it.

It could end pretty badly.

Good thing she ended the call.

She did sound asian. (I have nothing against asians, but her english was terrible)

lol its a scam

run malwarebytes and an antivirus just in case

also remove any unknown programs

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I got one of these calls before. I told the guy, do you know who you are talking to? I am a systems admin. I run circles around you. You will not scam me.

The guy responded by telling me I was an idiot and i was stupid. a+ m8 gr8 b8.

CM Storm Switch Tester MOD (In-Progress) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/409147-cm-storm-switch-tester-macro-mod/

Ammo Can Speaker 02 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/283826-ammo-can-speakers-02/       A/B Switch V 0.5 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/362417-ab-switch-v0

Build 01 - The Life of a Prodigy -  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/13103-build-01-the-life-of-a-prodigy/             Build 02 - Silent Server 3000 - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/116670-build-02-silent-server-3000/

I always used to get scammers, I'd just answer the phone with my old job title "Sheriff's Officer Detevtive (You Wish) Speaking" If they were a real person they'd always hangup. 

They are scammers and if they call again just say i have a mac.

Nvidia is to Dr Dre Beets as AMD is to KFC.

One makes you broke, the other you can get more of and have a midnight snack from the fridge when hungry again. Once you go Nvidia, you go broked, turn into an Elitist, or get the incorrect amount of VRAM.

- WCCFTECH

I was only 9 years old. I loved Fifflaren so much, I had all the NiP merchandise and matches pirated. I prayed to Fifflaren every night before bed. Thanking him for the life I have been given. Fifflaren is love I say. Fifflaren is life. My dad hears and calls me a fuckhead. I knew he was just jelly of my passion for Fifflaren. I called him a Sw@yer. He hits me and sends me to go to sleep. I'm crying now, and my face hurts. I lay in bed and it's really cold. A warmth is moving towards me. I feel someone touching me. I feel someone touching me. It's Fifflaren. I am so happy. He whispers in my ear; "this is my pyjama". He grabs me with his powerful Swedish hands and puts me on my hands and knees. I'm ready. I spread my ass cheeks for Fifflaren. He penetrates my butt-hole. It hurts so much but I do it for Fifflaren. I can feel my butt tearing as my eyes start to water. I push against his force. I want to please Fifflaren. He roars a viking roar as he fills my butt with his love. My dad walks in. Fifflaren looks straight into his eyes and says; "He is a ninja now". Fifflaren is love, Fifflaren is life 

HOW CAN PEOPLE FALL FOR THIS?????

like srsly????

[spoiler=My PC]

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700K | COOLER: Corsair H105 | MOBO: ASUS Z170i Gaming Pro AC | RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 16GB 2400MHz | GPU: EVGA GTX 980 Classified | CASE: BitFenix Prodigy | SSD: Samsung 950 Pro 512GB | PSU: XFX XTR 650W [spoiler= Le Other Stuff] Monitor: BenQ XL2411Z | Keyboard: Ozone Strike Pro | Mouse: A4 Tech X7 F4 | MousePad: Ozone

Spoiler
Spoiler

PlayStation 2 | PSP 2000 | Game Boy Color | Nintendo DS Lite | Nintendo 3DS | Wii

Spoiler

Sony Xperia J (Why u so bad D:) | iPod 4th gen | iPhone 4 | Yarvik Xenta 13c (3muchchrome5her)

Spoiler
Spoiler

Pentium B980 | 500GB WD Blue | Intel HD Graphixxx | 4Gegabeytes of REHAM

Current OS: MSX 10.0 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)Ilikethelennyfaceyouknow( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Windows Password Reset Guide

I would have trolled them pretty hard.

-SNIP-

People fall for scams everyday, I have handled a few cases on em. Mostly elderly people who don't know otherwise. 

People fall for scams everyday, I have handled a few cases on em. Mostly elderly people who don't know otherwise. 

"Yes, hello, we are Windows Operating System.... your computer has viruses...."

No... Im not kidding I once saw something like this on YouTube.... *facepalm*

[spoiler=My PC]

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700K | COOLER: Corsair H105 | MOBO: ASUS Z170i Gaming Pro AC | RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 16GB 2400MHz | GPU: EVGA GTX 980 Classified | CASE: BitFenix Prodigy | SSD: Samsung 950 Pro 512GB | PSU: XFX XTR 650W [spoiler= Le Other Stuff] Monitor: BenQ XL2411Z | Keyboard: Ozone Strike Pro | Mouse: A4 Tech X7 F4 | MousePad: Ozone

Spoiler
Spoiler

PlayStation 2 | PSP 2000 | Game Boy Color | Nintendo DS Lite | Nintendo 3DS | Wii

Spoiler

Sony Xperia J (Why u so bad D:) | iPod 4th gen | iPhone 4 | Yarvik Xenta 13c (3muchchrome5her)

Spoiler
Spoiler

Pentium B980 | 500GB WD Blue | Intel HD Graphixxx | 4Gegabeytes of REHAM

Current OS: MSX 10.0 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)Ilikethelennyfaceyouknow( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Windows Password Reset Guide

This is a scam! they try to crash your computer so you have  to buy their software to fix it, here is a list of things scammers do:

say: "i am from microsoft"

they dont speak english very well

they are calling from another country

they say that you have a virus

they want you to install teamviewer

btw: my mom got called by such a scammer, i grabbed her phone and ended the call :D they said they were from microsoft and they spoke english, and in our country we dont speak english but dutch xD

"Yes, hello, we are Windows Operating System.... your computer has viruses...."

No... Im not kidding I once saw something like this on YouTube.... *facepalm*

Mostly what I was handling was IRS scams. As I cannot to anything for computers legally (Especially when they consent.) and while on duty I am not going to fix someones PC :P

After 17 ads in my face, it was quite the interesting read.

Advertising... the scoliosis-laden backbone of the Internet.

They want to hijack your PC using remote desktop to install viruses and steal personal data/info, I had a customer where I work that fell for this and they lost almost £3,000 from their bank account (must have saved their details or something).

Yeah expected something like that.

But I was kinda suprised when she wanted her to go to CMD, and wonder what she would do from then on. 

Usually the scammer has the person check something on the computer they likely won't know about.  Or have them run some command to display some information that can "look bad" if you don't know what it is.  Like telling the person to go to cmd prompt, type ipconfig /all, "OMG look at all that text you don't understand, must be a virus".  The scammer can even ask if they see something that should be there, knowing it will be there.  Then when the person sees it, they think the caller must be legit, how else would they know?