GTX 980 Ti Potentially Launching Mid-Late May

Rock48

The Titan line's purpose is to provide schools with cheap heterogeneous computing research cards and rich gamers with stupid solutions which make Nvidia money. Nothing in life is without a purpose.

With the same framebuffer size and overall performance profile to a Tesla, they're great for doing proof of concept research due to the much more competitive price.

I would agree about the previous versions, but the Titan X has bad double precision (or at least nothing impressive to make it worth it).  So it isn't really of much use to the scientific community, if you are talking $ per single precision calculation.

I would agree about the previous versions, but the Titan X has bad double precision (or at least nothing impressive to make it worth it).  So it isn't really of much use to the scientific community, if you are talking $ per single precision calculation.

That doesn't mean algorithm scling will not be the same. Double precision will be around half of what you get in single precision. That's still a valid use case.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Its much more likely that Nvidia would release a 980 Ultra, using a cut down GM200 w/ 6GB memory, performing above the 980 but below the Titan. 

Another possibility is that they release a dual 980 card for a thousand bucks. there are two compelling reasons why this is probable:

- first because the 980 is a replacement for the 680, and the 690 is a dual 680.

- and second because It has been proven already that side-by-side VR works better with a dual gpu setup.

I'm putting my money on Nvidia releasing a 990 before another GM200 card, at least in this year. The 390x will probably be a bit better than the 980, and the 390VR (or whatever the dual fiji card will be called) is going to need some dual-gpu competition from Nvidia. 

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

There's going to be some salty people out there if this comes out $200+ cheaper and higher clocked so soon after the Titan X. The 6GB extra vram isn't useful for the gamers the TitanX was marketed to.

With the difference that the Titan was never targeted towards gamers, hence why it's not a GTX card. It's a productivity card, not a gaming card. 

phanteks enthoo pro | intel i5 4690k | noctua nh-d14 | msi z97 gaming 5 | 16gb crucial ballistix tactical | msi gtx970 4G OC  | adata sp900

if i had to buy a new gpu now... i would wait for new hbm stuff...  more than double the memory bandwith as ddr5 .....ddr5 is getting old....

AMD Rig - (Upgraded): FX 8320 @ 4.8 Ghz, Corsair H100i GTX, ROG Crosshair V Formula, Ghz, 16 GB 1866 Mhz Ram, Msi R9 280x Gaming 3G @ 1150 Mhz, Samsung 850 Evo 250 GB, Win 10 Home

(My first Intel + Nvidia experience  - recently bought ) : MSI GT72S Dominator Pro G ( i7 6820HK, 16 GB RAM, 980M SLI, GSync, 1080p , 2x128 GB SSD + 1TB HDD... FeelsGoodMan

With the difference that the Titan was never targeted towards gamers, hence why it's not a GTX card. It's a productivity card, not a gaming card. 

It is a productivity and research card, but it is called the GTX Titan for a reason: it games.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

It is absolutely marketed towards gamers. The branding is very "gamer-esque".

4K // R5 3600 // RTX2080Ti

if i had to buy a new gpu now... i would wait for new hbm stuff...  more than double the memory bandwith as ddr5 .....ddr5 is getting old....

Oh FFS, 512-bit GDDR 5 8GHz memory has the same bandwidth as the HBM on the 390X. And games aren't bandwidth-starved right now anyway! 

Ti is supposed to be different from other cards by being fully unlocked. But 900 series already was so why don't they call it 990 ???

Is X90 reserved for dual GPUs ?

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

So it was supposed to launch in the summer, then September, but now the narrative's changed again and now it's launching next month. Okay, rumor mill.

Is X90 reserved for dual GPUs ?

x90 is reserved for dual GPUs, yes.

so what is the point of the titan x?

To be the top dog card in Nvidia's arsenal. Although it seems Fiji will likely beat the snot out of it so they are re-branding the TITAN X as the GTX 980 Ti and overclocking it in hopes to remain the top dog. You know how silly it would make Nvidia look if Fiji dropped and AMD went "No, we have the single fastest GPU on the planet" and take that title away from Nvidia in such a short time.

To be the top dog card in Nvidia's arsenal. Although it seems Fiji will likely beat the snot out of it so they are re-branding the TITAN X as the GTX 980 Ti and overclocking it in hopes to remain the top dog. You know how silly it would make Nvidia look if Fiji dropped and AMD went "No, we have the single fastest GPU on the planet" and take that title away from Nvidia in such a short time.

I don't see how anything you've said is even truthful.

You don't know the performance of AMD's new cards, so how can you even speculate that one of them will "beat the snot" out of the Titan X? Plus, AMD has beaten Nvidia before with the "fastest GPU on the planet" title, if you haven't been paying attention at all: see the 290x launch being compared with the 780, to which Nvidia followed up and released the 780ti.

That doesn't mean algorithm scling will not be the same. Double precision will be around half of what you get in single precision. That's still a valid use case.

the titan x does not have 1/2 double precision it doesnt even have 1/8 double precision like amd cards it has 1/32 double precision 

the titan branding doesnt make sense because it doesnt have the double precision. they should have called it the 980 ti 12GB version and also made a 6GB version and not charge 1000 for it because 6GB of vram isnt worth 300 dollars

the titan x does not have 1/2 double precision it doesnt even have 1/8 double precision like amd cards it has 1/32 double precision 

facepalm* That is not what I said oh my God... You can use Maxwell as an analogue to show the scaling of Pascal, because no one just goes backwards in scaling. If you know how a single-precision version of an algorithm performs on maxwell, you know pretty well what the minimum DP performance will be when normalizing flops.

I don't see how anything you've said is even truthful.

You don't know the performance of AMD's new cards, so how can you even speculate that one of them will "beat the snot" out of the Titan X? Plus, AMD has beaten Nvidia before with the "fastest GPU on the planet" title, if you haven't been paying attention at all: see the 290x launch being compared with the 780, to which Nvidia followed up and released the 780ti.

AMD has beaten Nvidia to the "fastest card on the planet" with the R9 295x2 but Nvidia made the claim of the "fastest GPU on the planet (e.g. single die)" with the TITAN X. The launch of the R9 290X pretty much drove Nvidia to launching the GTX 780 Ti as the R9 290X was ~25% faster. The same bit is happening this time around except they are re-branding the full fat GM200 core (TITAN X) as their GTX 980 Ti in hopes that it will compete by raising clocks and cutting VRAM to reduce price. The TITAN is Nvidia's flagship enthusiast/performance card and the only time they go out and brand a high end Ti is when the competition is laying down heat. If these rumors live to be true it's only extra gravy that Nvidia themselves are expecting a heavy blow from AMD (otherwise the re-branded TITAN X wouldn't need to exist).

AMD has beaten Nvidia to the "fastest card on the planet" with the R9 295x2 but Nvidia made the claim of the "fastest GPU on the planet (e.g. single die)" with the TITAN X. The launch of the R9 290X pretty much drove Nvidia to launching the GTX 780 Ti as the R9 290X was ~25% faster. The same bit is happening this time around except they are re-branding the full fat GM200 core (TITAN X) as their GTX 980 Ti in hopes that it will compete by raising clocks and cutting VRAM to reduce price. The TITAN is Nvidia's flagship enthusiast/performance card and the only time they go out and brand a high end Ti is when the competition is laying down heat. If these rumors live to be true it's only extra gravy that Nvidia themselves are expecting a heavy blow from AMD (otherwise the re-branded TITAN X wouldn't need to exist).

The 295x2 is in fact two 290x's (two GPU's) on one PCB. So yes, the Titan X is the fastest GPU on the planet. To make it fair, two Titan X's would "beat the snot" out of a 295x2, to which you would respond "bu-bu-but muh 295x2 is cheaper!!11", to which I would say tough shit. Go to any store and look at any aisle of any product and you'll see multiple brands with different prices. That's called a market.

The 980ti is also a rumor, and it's "intended release" is also refresh time, so I would sooner expect a new card lineup entirely rather than a 980ti.

This seems pretty unlikely in my opinion. Releasing the 980ti now would harm Titan X sales. It makes a lot more sense to release it in the fall to help fight the AMD 300 series cards. The only reason for releasing it in May would be if Nvidia plans on releasing a new lineup of cards in the fall and wanted to capitalize on 980ti sales now.

facepalm* That is not what I said oh my God... You can use Maxwell as an analogue to show the scaling of Pascal, because no one just goes backwards in scaling. If you know how a single-precision version of an algorithm performs on maxwell, you know pretty well what the minimum DP performance will be when normalizing flops.

im not taking about pascal im talking about the current titan x and i assume you mean analogy not analogue because it would be strange if maxwell is an analogue processor and i dont quite understand your last sentence but all the current maxwell cards doesnt have good DP performance and i dont think you can use SP to substitute for DP

Everything I can find shows the Titan X having 6.6 TFLOPS of single precision, and 0.2 TFLOPS of double precision. 

The 295x2 is in fact two 290x's (two GPU's) on one PCB. So yes, the Titan X is the fastest GPU on the planet. To make it fair, two Titan X's would "beat the snot" out of a 295x2, to which you would respond "bu-bu-but muh 295x2 is cheaper!!11", to which I would say tough shit. Go to any store and look at any aisle of any product and you'll see multiple brands with different prices. That's called a market.

The 980ti is also a rumor, and it's "intended release" is also refresh time, so I would sooner expect a new card lineup entirely rather than a 980ti.

Of course it is hence why AMD is claiming the title as the fastest card on the planet and not the fastest GPU. The TITAN X has to stack up against Fiji which is not looking so good. If Nvidia got the balls to launch a dual GM200 chip I think it's safe to say that AMD would retaliate with Bermuda which would be a stupid insane card (8192 SPUs). Not sure where's you're going with pricing but I guess you have to try justifying your post somehow with irrelevant data.

Maxwell just launched and Pascal won't come until 2016 along with AMD's Arctic Islands so I wouldn't give your hopes up. That only points to a GTX 980 Ti being all the more a possibility as there's a long stretch of time where Nvidia could be second best.

Of course it is hence why AMD is claiming the title as the fastest card on the planet and not the fastest GPU. The TITAN X has to stack up against Fiji which is not looking so good. If Nvidia got the balls to launch a dual GM200 chip I think it's safe to say that AMD would retaliate with Bermuda which would be a stupid insane card (8192 SPUs). Not sure where's you're going with pricing but I guess you have to try justifying your post somehow with irrelevant data.

Maxwell just launched and Pascal won't come until 2016 along with AMD's Arctic Islands so I wouldn't give your hopes up. That only points to a GTX 980 Ti being all the more a possibility as there's a long stretch of time that Nvidia could be second best.

So all of a sudden, price is irrelevant data? Why are you arguing then?

And refresh, as in a refresh to the Maxwell line, not a new architecture.

So all of a sudden, price is irrelevant data? Why are you arguing then?

And refresh, as in a refresh to the Maxwell line, not a new architecture.

Initial discussion wasn't based around price so that would leave you as the one starting the price debate.

Yes we are all familiar with refreshes although it's still too soon plus it won't warrant any major performance changes.

Initial discussion wasn't based around price so that would leave you as the one starting the price debate.

Yes we are all familiar with refreshes although it's still too soon plus it won't warrant any major performance changes.

Price is always relevant when discussing this, or so I thought. Whenever Nvidia cards are brought up to be better than AMD ones (which is almost always factually correct today), someone has to be the one to argue about price to performance, so I went ahead and retorted against that - which is why I brought it up.

It's not too soon. 600-series was launched in 2012, GTX 700-series was launched in 2013, and as we know the 900-series was launched late last year. The time people are speculating for a 980ti launch is about the time for a refresh this year.