The future of graphics in games?

Schammy

Recently I have been thinking about our technology (mainly the graphics) of modern day computers compared to computers/games from the 80's and what it would have been like to show them modern day equipment, graphics, games, size of the computer, software. So my question is what do you think the future of graphics (or computing) will look like in 20 years to come? Obviously: Realistic-looking textures and lighting but what other aspects of gaming/computing will be improved/invented? - 3D? Extremely small computers that you can carry with you? Thanks.

SPECS: MOBO - INTEL DZ77GA70K EXTEME, CPU - i5 3570 @ 3.4GHz, MEMORY - CORSAIR VENGEANCE 2 x 4G, GPU - GIGABYTE HD7970 OC, HDD - WESTERN DIGITAL CAVIAR BLACK 1TB, SDD - INTEL 520 SERIES 120GB, CASE - COOLERMASTER RC-682A-KWN5, PSU - THERMALTAKE SMART 750W, KEYBOARD - RAZER BLACKWIDOW ULTIMATE 2013, MOUSE - RAZER DEATHERADDER 2013.  :D

Virtual Reality. hopefully in the next 5-15 years. 

| i5 3570 | Palit GTX 680 jetsream | Gigabyte Z77x-ud3h | Corsair Vengeance 2x4 1600mhz | WD Caviar Black  1TB | Corsair TX 650m | Coolemaster Hyper212 X | NZXT Pantom 410 | Asus VS239 | Logitech G400s |

Click here to learn how to troll

The worst-looking games would probably be similar to Crysis 3, with most games supporting some sort of VR device. We would probably have computers in our brains which would allow us to think of commands in order to use them. Peripherals like keyboards and mice would be obsolete, and the lowest mainstream resolution of content would be ~8K.

the lowest mainstream resolution of content would be ~8K.

Ahh, one day my friend, one day.

SPECS: MOBO - INTEL DZ77GA70K EXTEME, CPU - i5 3570 @ 3.4GHz, MEMORY - CORSAIR VENGEANCE 2 x 4G, GPU - GIGABYTE HD7970 OC, HDD - WESTERN DIGITAL CAVIAR BLACK 1TB, SDD - INTEL 520 SERIES 120GB, CASE - COOLERMASTER RC-682A-KWN5, PSU - THERMALTAKE SMART 750W, KEYBOARD - RAZER BLACKWIDOW ULTIMATE 2013, MOUSE - RAZER DEATHERADDER 2013.  :D

Technology is not only advancing fast, but the rate at which it advances is increasing with it. It is accelerating so to speak. I think a lot more will be accomplished in the next 20 years that what has been accomplished in the passed 20.

“Snorting instant coffee is the best,” said Kayla Johns, 19, of Portland.

i think it will be different to what everyone expects
i think game makers will start not to use the highest possible ghrafics due to the high costs and will instead try to emulate the Indie games success and try to games more focused on story and gameplay

post-22981-0-22918800-1374177753.jpg

oh dear was that YOUR computer i just downloaded a few dozen viruses on when you weren't paying attention?

Technology is not only advancing fast, but the rate at which it advances is increasing with it. It is accelerating so to speak. I think a lot more will be accomplished in the next 20 years that what has been accomplished in the passed 20.

This is true, as is why I am asking for peoples opinions on what will be changing over these next few decades. 

i remember when my brother lost his shit after playing Mario64 for the first time

it used to take a small group to make great games

now it takes an army and 5+ years

and if u fail once or twice the company gets bankrupt

humans are the bottleneck

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Playing bf3 on a Iphone

Prepare for battle in BATTLEFIELD 4! All New Dog tags JUST LIKE THIS:

and i also think when people DO start to use the full potential of ghrafics in games in the future they will drag it on for a long time like WOW because they will easily be able to make the costs back like what the latest skyrim is trying to do

oh dear was that YOUR computer i just downloaded a few dozen viruses on when you weren't paying attention?

i also think there will be a huge crank down on piracy like how ea is trying to make every game online so that they get the most money possible out of games

so am i the only one who thinks ghrafics won't get better unless there mmorpg's due to high costs of future Graphic?

so am i the only one who thinks ghrafics won't get better unless there mmorpg's due to high costs of future Graphic?

i don't think the cost will be too much. how many years have we been getting newer card for almost the same cost?

| i5 3570 | Palit GTX 680 jetsream | Gigabyte Z77x-ud3h | Corsair Vengeance 2x4 1600mhz | WD Caviar Black  1TB | Corsair TX 650m | Coolemaster Hyper212 X | NZXT Pantom 410 | Asus VS239 | Logitech G400s |

i don't think the cost will be too much. how many years have we been getting newer card for almost the same cost?

lol i don't mean the cards you missed my point entirely the development costs will increase hugely so that game makers CAN'T use the the best ghrafics possible any more if you read my earlier posts you can see this

A place like Unimatrix Zero from ST Voyager.

It will seem real.

Retried Battlefield Moderator EA Star Wars Battlefront Senior Moderator  Battlefield Moderator and EA Champion

Everyone thinks that gaming will go more realist graphics.

Sure. But I have a different perspective on things.

Video games, like early days of movies, are establishing themselves more and more as art.

So with higher computer power, we allow for more creative looking game. For example, look at Journey style art, or Zelda WindWaker with it's cel shading looks, of Zelda Skyward Sword with it's subtle mosaic style occurring on it blur effect on it's depth of field, with it's detailed water color style going on, and the list is huge, mentioning every single game out there. It's about every game out there, even realistic ones, could be considered as art, like paintings periods.

Video games is art, and higher computation power will be able to deliver new art experiences and style.

Place a chip on your head and instantly enter a virtual world, where all 5 senses are simulated.

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

Place a chip on your head and instantly enter a virtual world, where all 5 senses are simulated.

oh boy i can't wait -_-

lol i don't mean the cards you missed my point entirely the development costs will increase hugely so that game makers CAN'T use the the best ghrafics possible any more if you read my earlier posts you can see this

well, that is true but there will be more developed software by then. i think we are now limited by consumer products. the titan isn't the most powerful card. nor any dual gpus. it is what we have access to.and is limiting what yhe developers can do. they can make ultra high res textures bit the power needed by the consumers is not attainable atm.

a chip? maybe not. but a helmet may. if you have ever heard of SAO, you knoe what im saying

sorry double post. phone went bonkers.

The CGI you seen in movies now, will be in games within 10 years..............in 20 years the world will have ended so who cares :P

----Ryzen R9 5900X----X570 Aorus elite----Vetroo V5----240GB Kingston HyperX 3k----Samsung 250GB EVO840----512GB Kingston Nvme----3TB Seagate----4TB Western Digital Green----8TB Seagate----32GB Patriot Viper 4 3200Mhz CL 16 ----Power Color Red dragon 5700XT----Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl ----Corsair RM850w----

The problem with technology is that it is advancing at different rates, BF(X) on iPhone or Android would be killer to the battery....

RAWR signature became a bunch of HTML codes

a chip? maybe not. but a helmet may. if you have ever heard of SAO, you knoe what im saying

-shrug- If a helmet becomes possible, a chip would make sense. Computation power is not simply increasing: it's also condensing into smaller forms.

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2