My science project

My science project is to create a bow or object that can hold an ice cube and keep it from melting for the longest

i can use anything to build it but it must have a window it can be made out of anything but i just cant think of an idea i already thought of putting a thermoelectric cooler but it would cost too much for a small project and also take time for shipping.

You mean 'bowl' or bow? If you want to make a bow (shooting), you can do it with a PVC pipe and expect good results (I can link you build logs and stuff). But that doesn't seem related to the cube of ice project.

Well first you must have the box or the ice in a contain that can retain the coldness of the ice....I would buy some insulating material like from a lunch bag. They do sell those individually :P.

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

Peltier cooler. Look it up it's pretty awesome. If that's not an option, try and make it out of ice packs, then, you can put the whole thing in the freezer before you have to present. 

Does not having a second parenthesis around something bother anyone else as much as it does me? (Like if this statement was missing a second side)

i can use anything to build it but it must have a window it can be made out of anything but i just cant think of an idea i already thought of putting a thermoelectric cooler but it would cost too much for a small project and also take time for shipping.

A Peltier cooler will basically keep it indefinitely until the power goes out  :lol:, try to find one on amazon that ships to Canada they should take less than a week to arrive and aren't very expensive:

http://www.amazon.com/Tec1-12705-Thermoelectric-Cooler-Peltiers-77wmax/dp/B007JCVRSG/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1429234349&sr=8-7&

put the ice cube in a cup

pour liquid helium in the cup with it

jk

minifirdge with window?

A Peltier cooler will basically keep it indefinitely until the power goes out  :lol:, try to find one on amazon that ships to Canada they should take less than a week to arrive and aren't very expensive:

http://www.amazon.com/Tec1-12705-Thermoelectric-Cooler-Peltiers-77wmax/dp/B007JCVRSG/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1429234349&sr=8-7&

how would it work and how could i power it also what container should i keep it in

Peltier cooler. Look it up it's pretty awesome. If that's not an option, try and make it out of ice packs, then, you can put the whole thing in the freezer before you have to present. 

how would it work and how could i power it also what container should i keep it in

You can actually use it both way's so you could use the cool to create power or use the warmth to create power. It's a pretty cool device. Here is the wiki for it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermoelectric_cooling And if you wanted it in a container, you could put it in the bottom of say an insulated box.

Does not having a second parenthesis around something bother anyone else as much as it does me? (Like if this statement was missing a second side)

Get a block of dry ice and put the ice cube on top. That's all you need, really. the dry ice will stay around for a few hours and you'll have to do nothing.

Get a block of dry ice and put the ice cube on top. That's all you need, really. the dry ice will stay around for a few hours and you'll have to do nothing.

i was thinking that too and if you have the access put it in a vacuum

Its all about those volumetric clouds

You will have a cold side and a hot side where the hot side will require a heatsink and fan like a CPU cooler to dissipate the heat while the cold side goes <0C. It would need to cold side to be inside of an insulated container or some sort. For powering it using a 12V DC wall adapter that can supply the needed amperage will work.

Make the window two sheets of whatever it is you use and fill the gap between it with ice water (if that's allowed)  ;0)

"I try to put good out into the world...that way I can believe it's out there." --CKN                  “How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours.” --Wayne Dyer            

[Needs Updating] My PC: i5-10600K @TBD / 32GB DDR4 @4000MHz / Z490 AORUS Elite AC / Titan RTX / Samsung 1TB 960 Evo / EVGA SuperNova 850 T2

I seriously doubt you'd be allowed to buy actual equipment for your project. I think the goal is to find a good material that can insulate the ice cube from the outside heat.

Buying expensive equipment is just plain cheating TBH.

CPU: i7 2600 @ 4.2GHz  COOLING: NZXT Kraken X31 RAM: 4x2GB Corsair XMS3 @ 1600MHz MOBO: Gigabyte Z68-UD3-XP GPU: XFX R9 280X Double Dissipation SSD #1: 120GB OCZ Vertex 2  SSD #2: 240GB Corsair Force 3 HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 600W CASE: NZXT H230
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz COOLING: Cooler Master Eclipse RAM: 4x1GB Corsair XMS2 @ 800MHz MOBO: XFX nForce 780i 3-Way SLi GPU: 2x ASUS GTX 560 DirectCU in SLi HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: TBA CASE: Antec 300

Speaking of cheating, it's more cost effective to just replace the ice cube with a fake plastic one that doesn't melt.

In all seriousness though you need expanded polystyrene, or styrofoam. To get a well insulated window try getting multiple evenly spaced layers of clear plastic.

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

Speaking of cheating, it's more cost effective to just replace the ice cube with a fake plastic one that doesn't melt.

In all seriousness though you need expanded polystyrene, or styrofoam. To get a well insulated window try getting multiple evenly spaced layers of clear plastic.

that works great and ill actually think of that

You will have a cold side and a hot side where the hot side will require a heatsink and fan like a CPU cooler to dissipate the heat while the cold side goes <0C. It would need to cold side to be inside of an insulated container or some sort. For powering it using a 12V DC wall adapter that can supply the needed amperage will work.

so i dont have any extra fans lying around so could i just use a normal fan and no heatsink

If i can get dry ice where i live sure but i doubt i can in time

Also could someone answer this question? 

how does the thermoelectric cooler work and i dont want a wiki answer as in does it have a fan will it? is there any danger or anything i have to worry about? and how could i find a 12V power adapter (do i need to cut one and wire it or is there one i can get now or easier)

so i dont have any extra fans lying around so could i just use a normal fan and no heatsink

how does the thermoelectric cooler work and i dont want a wiki answer as in does it have a fan will it? is there any danger or anything i have to worry about? and how could i find a 12V power adapter (do i need to cut one and wire it or is there one i can get now or easier)

A peltier cooler is basically a semi conductive material between two plates, one side of that plate gets hot the other cold, it depends on the peltier but some can get >80C and -30C on the other side. For powering it any old 12V wall adapter with the proper amount of amps is good, just be sure the   voltage x Amps> wattage.

As for running a peltier without a heatsink that won't work it's almost like a CPU it need a way of properly dissipating the heat to the air with more surface area. 

Some of the other said if you can purchase dry ice that would work very well at keep it cold for a good dat if the container is very well insulated.

A peltier cooler is basically a semi conductive material between two plates, one side of that plate gets hot the other cold, it depends on the peltier but some can get >80C and -30C on the other side. For powering it any old 12V wall adapter with the proper amount of amps is good, just be sure the   voltage x Amps> wattage.

As for running a peltier without a heatsink that won't work it's almost like a CPU it need a way of properly dissipating the heat to the air with more surface area. 

Some of the other said if you can purchase dry ice that would work very well at keep it cold for a good dat if the container is very well insulated.

ok so could i just cut a 12v power cord and hook up the cables, also what type of heatsink do i need to buy a new on or could i use something from home. lastly im making my object out of styrofoam (but i havent made it yet so i can change it out) and i dont know much about thermoelectric heaters/cooler so do i put it on the outside against the styrofoam/anything or do i make a hole and put one side out and one side in to cool it?

LN2, 100% win probability 

I seriously doubt you'd be allowed to buy actual equipment for your project. I think the goal is to find a good material that can insulate the ice cube from the outside heat.

Buying expensive equipment is just plain cheating TBH.

Make the window two sheets of whatever it is you use and fill the gap between it with ice water (if that's allowed)  ;0)

i was thinking that too and if you have the access put it in a vacuum

You can actually use it both way's so you could use the cool to create power or use the warmth to create power. It's a pretty cool device. Here is the wiki for it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermoelectric_cooling And if you wanted it in a container, you could put it in the bottom of say an insulated box.

put the ice cube in a cup

pour liquid helium in the cup with it

jk

minifirdge with window?

Well first you must have the box or the ice in a contain that can retain the coldness of the ice....I would buy some insulating material like from a lunch bag. They do sell those individually :P.

Buy an AMD processor and put the cube on it so you can dump liquid nitrogen on it while breaking the world record for highest OC and keeping the ice cube alive.

You mean 'bowl' or bow? If you want to make a bow (shooting), you can do it with a PVC pipe and expect good results (I can link you build logs and stuff). But that doesn't seem related to the cube of ice project.

im sorry for quoting everyone but i need this answer quick to these questions

'ok so could i just cut a 12v power cord and hook up the cables, also what type of heatsink do i need to buy a new on or could i use something from home. lastly im making my object out of styrofoam (but i havent made it yet so i can change it out) and i dont know much about thermoelectric heaters/cooler so do i put it on the outside against the styrofoam/anything or do i make a hole and put one side out and one side in to cool it?"

im sorry for quoting everyone but i need this answer quick to these questions

'ok so could i just cut a 12v power cord and hook up the cables, also what type of heatsink do i need to buy a new on or could i use something from home. lastly im making my object out of styrofoam (but i havent made it yet so i can change it out) and i dont know much about thermoelectric heaters/cooler so do i put it on the outside against the styrofoam/anything or do i make a hole and put one side out and one side in to cool it?"

I'm not sure what you mean but, if you push the air directly on the ice cube it will do nothing since a fan doesn't reduce the temperature of the air even though it feels colder on the skin.

An heatsink at contact with the ice wouldn't probably help, if you want to use a fan you need to push colder air than the ambient, in that case you need to cool it somehow, maybe building a cooling chamber with some ice inside, if it's not against the rules.

Or you could just isolate the ice as much as possible.

ok so could i just cut a 12v power cord and hook up the cables, also what type of heatsink do i need to buy a new on or could i use something from home. lastly im making my object out of styrofoam (but i havent made it yet so i can change it out) and i dont know much about thermoelectric heaters/cooler so do i put it on the outside against the styrofoam/anything or do i make a hole and put one side out and one side in to cool it?

Yes a 12V power adapter that has enough power will work as for the hot side for the heatsink it needs to be on the outside and cooled by a fan you can tap off the 12V power for that. Something like an old intel heatsink should work no problem, remember to use thermal paste. The cold side should be inside the insulated box, I would add a piece of thick copper to bring it inside the styrofoam box and a plate for the ice cube to sit on. I won't be surprised if by the end of this you end up with a larger ice cube than you started with.

If you are allowed to use dry ice or have access to it that will work very well also as others have suggested.