Experiences with non-techies

10 minutes ago, matrix07012 said:

How? I would freeze to death. I think 24c is perfect for everything.

Problem in my house is that the thermometer that controls the heating is in the south part of the house so it easily heats up thanks to the sun and turns of the heating and I start to freeze, because my room is in the north part. This happens frequently during spring and fall. When it happens, I just turn on folding.

No, anything over 21c is hell on earth.

Linus is my fetish.

8 hours ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Why did you get a phone that is big enough to club someone with?

(Silly people and their giant phablets...)

Seriously why can't people realize that a phone is NOT supposed to have a screen almost as large as a small tablet?  ? 

Media consumption that's mobile. 

I do most of my media consumption and ltt on my phone. 

Also gaming on it. 

7 hours ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Then they should get a cheap tablet (Android I guess since iPads are pricey.)

My problem is that people want to be able to have a larger screen than makes sense on a handheld device.  It's like they're saying "I want it to be super light and portable but I want a movie theater size screen."  Those things don't go together.  They're mutually exclusive.  

Basically: you want a portable phone?  Great use a normal size phone.  

You want a larger screen?  Go home and use your computer.  

Seriously does no one with a giant phablet phone realize how stupid it looks to hold this giant thing up to their head and talk into a brick?

Not to mention that a phone around the size of a 6s+ is definitely NOT pocket sized. 

Personally I find a phone I can't fit in my pocket to be 100% useless.

Sorry for the rant.  I just really hate giant phones.  lol 

If I wanted to use an iPad, I would since I have one.. It fits in my pocket 

(also a call is rare for me, we have something called a message)

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

2 minutes ago, Bhav said:

No, anything over 21c is hell on earth.

Don't go to Hong Kong in the summer. 

Or torontos heat waves of 40c

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

2 minutes ago, themctipers said:

Don't go to Hong Kong in the summer. 

Or torontos heat waves of 40c

Trust me I won't.

I'm not even into holidays anyway.

Linus is my fetish.

2 hours ago, DeezNoNos said:

this fucking hell this. 

Hide contents

stupid people

Hide contents

khh.JPG

I believe that is a 970 SC :D

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

51 minutes ago, matrix07012 said:

How? I would freeze to death. I think 24c is perfect for everything.

Problem in my house is that the thermometer that controls the heating is in the south part of the house so it easily heats up thanks to the sun and turns of the heating and I start to freeze, because my room is in the north part. This happens frequently during spring and fall. When it happens, I just turn on folding.

I prefer somewhere between 18-22c for my nerdcave, 14c for the workshop, 18-20c for bedroom, and 24c for the bathroom.

In the winter, i turn on all of my potatos to get some heat in my room. I live in an old house so no thermostat-based heating. Fireplaces in every room, provides light and heat. Only problem is when its -30c outside in the winter you have to heat everything every day. Wood is cheap as it comes from my dad's forest.

Cooler ambient is nice in the winter so it doesn't feel so cold outside :D 

Just now, Pesukarhu said:

I prefer somewhere between 18-22c for my nerdcave, 14c for the workshop, 18-20c for bedroom, and 24c for the bathroom.

In the winter, i turn on all of my potatos to get some heat in my room. I live in an old house so no thermostat-based heating. Fireplaces in every room, provides light and heat. Only problem is when its -30c outside in the winter you have to heat everything every day. Wood is cheap as it comes from my dad's forest.

Cooler ambient is nice in the winter so it doesn't feel so cold outside :D 

22-26 for room

22-26 for bathroom

i turn on all my potatoes in the winter also.. If you can see that's where my F@H score increased by a million. 

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

PLZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ PEOPLE 25 C that is freezing. Give me 33 with 20% humidity now that is something. For sleeping 28C is PERFECT. 

Build

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1600, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7. TeamGroup Viper 4133mhz 16gb, XFX RX 480 8 GB (1000mhz cause dying), Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB M.2 SSD, An old 1tb 5400 rpm 2.5" HDD, TeamGroup 480gb & Kingston 480gb ssds (May RAID 0), 1TB Western Ditigal HDD, EVGA 750W G2 PSU, Phanteks P400s

----------X-----------X------------

11 hours ago, njmyers3 said:

The official battery thing built into android doesn't track that. I'm sure there is a third party one that does, but I try not to bloat up my phone. 

This isn't my image, but here is what it looks like:

Android-Settings-Battery-Graph.png

Weird tangent, but I can't help noticing that your Google Play Music app is out of date because of the icon.

11 hours ago, themctipers said:

And here's mine;

image.png

Also can't help noticing that you use mainly Safari, but also Opera Mini. Why is that?

QUOTE ME IF YOU WANT ME TO REPLY

Le USD $300 Second Hand Potato

CPU: Intel i5-750 @ 3.8GHz Motherboard: Intel DP55WG RAM: 12GB Corsair Budget 1333MHz (2x2GB+2x4GB) GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 5750 512MB Case: Cooler Master Elite Storage: Seagate Barracuda 500GB PSU: Cooler Master Generic 500W (came with case) Displays: 21.5" 1080p Acer G226HQL Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB (Mx Reds) Mouse: Logitech G502 Sound: Turtle Beach X12's Operating System: Windows 10

Yep... My peripherals cost me more than the rig itself. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

11 hours ago, themctipers said:

And here's mine;

image.png

Wait, you are using the official yt app on ios, did they fix it? Last time i checked it was a piece of shit. (videos wouldn't load on wifi, skip ad didn't work, screen rotation was too sensitive, comments couldn't be sent. you also couldn't use yt in a browser, it would just keep opening the app when clicking load desktop version)

28 minutes ago, DeezNoNos said:

PLZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ PEOPLE 25 C that is freezing. Give me 33 with 20% humidity now that is something. For sleeping 28C is PERFECT. 

Tbh I don't know my temp.. I just guess ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

22 minutes ago, Dargenfire said:

Weird tangent, but I can't help noticing that your Google Play Music app is out of date because of the icon.

Also can't help noticing that you use mainly Safari, but also Opera Mini. Why is that?

Well, I only have like 400mb of data left. 

My plan is for 5gb but for 2 weeks I've been outside for most of the Time. The main cause of my data being used is LTT and soundcloud.. Now my music is locally stored on my phone and I sometimes use opera, however I fucking love how fast it is in safari and doesn't lag. 

(Also 7% saved isn't worth it)

14 minutes ago, Pesukarhu said:

Wait, you are using the official yt app on ios, did they fix it? Last time i checked it was a piece of shit. (videos wouldn't load on wifi, skip ad didn't work, screen rotation was too sensitive, comments couldn't be sent. you also couldn't use yt in a browser, it would just keep opening the app when clicking load desktop version)

When was the last time you used it? iOS 7.0.1? I remember how shit it was in 7.0.1. They finally fixed it in 7.0.6 for me on my 4 in 2013 xD

Screen rotation works, although I don't use it. Comments can be sent. You can use YT in a browser now since iOS asks you if you want to be redirected to "app name"

Also, for background usage, I've installed the tweak YouTube++. It's on cydia (jailbreak). 

image.png

a while back, on /r/jailbreak the dev reached 200k followers on Twitter and offered everyone that had an account free ad removal. 

(Yes there's ads, well from the tweak. There's also an ad blocker for the app.. However it you tweat out something, it gets removed for 7 days :P)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

10 hours ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Then they should get a cheap tablet (Android I guess since iPads are pricey.)

My problem is that people want to be able to have a larger screen than makes sense on a handheld device.  It's like they're saying "I want it to be super light and portable but I want a movie theater size screen."  Those things don't go together.  They're mutually exclusive.  

Basically: you want a portable phone?  Great use a normal size phone.  

You want a larger screen?  Go home and use your computer.  

Seriously does no one with a giant phablet phone realize how stupid it looks to hold this giant thing up to their head and talk into a brick?

Not to mention that a phone around the size of a 6s+ is definitely NOT pocket sized. 

Personally I find a phone I can't fit in my pocket to be 100% useless.

Sorry for the rant.  I just really hate giant phones.  lol 

Tablets... Are too big. I personally like a screen size of around 5.5 inches. 5.7 is probably my max. I can't stand anything smaller than 5, since the text just seems to small. Anything bigger than 5.7 is too big to use one handedly at all.

What I like is something that is big enough so that text is pretty clear but can also be used for basic one-handed use (e.g. Finding an app, reading a webpage, opening chrome and tapping on a bookmark and going to a website). Essentially anything that involves tapping and swiping (but not typing). If you have a different opinion though, we can just agree to disagree. :) 

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

6 minutes ago, BeardySnorlax ^____^ said:

I was able to troll an early 2000s person on the origin of the save icon lol

Me?

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Is it just me, or does the smiley face emoji look like a super fake smile?

I mean just look at it: :) 

It looks so fake imo lol

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

1 minute ago, DocSwag said:

Is it just me, or does the smiley face emoji look like a super fake smile?

I mean just look at it: :) 

It looks so fake imo lol

When you see my class die like:

:) 

:( looks like me everyday

:/ looks like when you're going outside 

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

4 hours ago, themctipers said:

When was the last time you used it? iOS 7.0.1? I remember how shit it was in 7.0.1. They finally fixed it in 7.0.6 for me on my 4 in 2013 xD

Screen rotation works, although I don't use it. Comments can be sent. You can use YT in a browser now since iOS asks you if you want to be redirected to "app name"

Also, for background usage, I've installed the tweak YouTube++. It's on cydia (jailbreak). 

Last winter (2015) iOS 8.something. Then by accident i found this app tubex, it is a 3rd party yt app. It has background playback, less video ads, audio only playback, fine scrubbing (video slider thingy) and you can select the video quality on cellular network.

Only thing is that commenting is buggy, when you comment it says shared on google+.(when you go and find your comment on a pc, it shows up as a normal comment).

The redirection is good, but if you press cancel it will just stay on the page, not actually open what you clicked. And then it just keeps displaying the pop-up, although you select cancel every time. This resulted in deleting the app, granting access to creator studio in safari. (i wanted to play back some music from the yt library, i was doing a video project with my friend)

When i went to reinstall it, i found tubex. It is much better. I had screen rotation lock on when i used the official app, because it kept freaking out. And i don't have to jailbreak :D(i would have jailbroken my idevices, but i always forgot when i was at my computer.)

(not an advertisement, it is just legit better)

(side note: all the problems were occurring on my 5s. My friends confirmed that 4s, 5c, 6s also had the same issues with yt.)

5 hours ago, themctipers said:

It's still broken.

Spoiler

Quiet Whirl | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Mobo: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200 Mhz Graphics card: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER GAMING X TRIO PSU: Corsair RMx Series RM550x Case: Be quiet! Pure Base 600

Buffed HPHP ProBook 430 G4 | CPU: Intel Core i3-7100U RAM: 4GB DDR4 2133Mhz GPU: Intel HD 620 SSD: Some 128GB M.2 SATA

Retired:

Melting plastic | Lenovo IdeaPad Z580 | CPU: Intel Core i7-3630QM RAM: 8GB DDR3 GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX 640M HDD: Western Digital 1TB

The Roaring Beast | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690 (BCLK @ 104MHz = 4,05GHz) Cooler: Akasa X3 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H RAM: Kingston 16GB DDR3 (2x8GB) Graphics card: Gigabyte GTX 970 4GB (Core: +130MHz, Mem: +230MHz) SSHD: Seagate 1TB SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB HHD: WD Red 4TB PSU: Fractal Design Essence 500W Case: Zalman Z11 Plus

1 minute ago, Pesukarhu said:

Last winter (2015) iOS 8.something. Then by accident i found this app tubex, it is a 3rd party yt app. It has background playback, less video ads, audio only playback, fine scrubbing (video slider thingy) and you can select the video quality on cellular network.

Only thing is that commenting is buggy, when you comment it says shared on google+.(when you go and find your comment on a pc, it shows up as a normal comment).

The redirection is good, but if you press cancel it will just stay on the page, not actually open what you clicked. And then it just keeps displaying the pop-up, although you select cancel every time. This resulted in deleting the app, granting access to creator studio in safari. (i wanted to play back some music from the yt library, i was doing a video project with my friend)

When i went to reinstall it, i found tubex. It is much better. I had screen rotation lock on when i used the official app, because it kept freaking out. And i don't have to jailbreak :D(i would have jailbroken my idevices, but i always forgot when i was at my computer.)

(not an advertisement, it is just legit better)

(side note: all the problems were occurring on my 5s. My friends confirmed that 4s, 5c, 6s also had the same issues with yt.)

iOS 8 was a train disaster. I've only used 8.3 since sept 2015. I tried to stay away from that 

meh, yt++ does the same thing but with no video ads and comments work

for me I can use it in safari

the 9.2 - 9.3.3 jailbreak is via an app now. Go find a source that works 

also, you're missing a lot on jailbreak :P 

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

2 minutes ago, matrix07012 said:

It's still broken.

Imb4 iOS 7 was the latest good one 

iOS 6 was also great, although I would take iOS 7 over that on newer devices 

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Well...

13892118_1670444843275511_5425514430775207713_n.jpg

Spoiler

Quiet Whirl | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Mobo: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200 Mhz Graphics card: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER GAMING X TRIO PSU: Corsair RMx Series RM550x Case: Be quiet! Pure Base 600

Buffed HPHP ProBook 430 G4 | CPU: Intel Core i3-7100U RAM: 4GB DDR4 2133Mhz GPU: Intel HD 620 SSD: Some 128GB M.2 SATA

Retired:

Melting plastic | Lenovo IdeaPad Z580 | CPU: Intel Core i7-3630QM RAM: 8GB DDR3 GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX 640M HDD: Western Digital 1TB

The Roaring Beast | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690 (BCLK @ 104MHz = 4,05GHz) Cooler: Akasa X3 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H RAM: Kingston 16GB DDR3 (2x8GB) Graphics card: Gigabyte GTX 970 4GB (Core: +130MHz, Mem: +230MHz) SSHD: Seagate 1TB SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB HHD: WD Red 4TB PSU: Fractal Design Essence 500W Case: Zalman Z11 Plus

5 minutes ago, matrix07012 said:

Well...

13892118_1670444843275511_5425514430775207713_n.jpg

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) pretty sure that hot game that made you jizz twice was a virus 

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

7 hours ago, DeezNoNos said:

no, 25 is like the hottest tolerable temperature.  20 - 22 in the day and 18 for sleeping

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

6 hours ago, DocSwag said:

Tablets... Are too big. I personally like a screen size of around 5.5 inches. 5.7 is probably my max. I can't stand anything smaller than 5, since the text just seems to small. Anything bigger than 5.7 is too big to use one handedly at all.

What I like is something that is big enough so that text is pretty clear but can also be used for basic one-handed use (e.g. Finding an app, reading a webpage, opening chrome and tapping on a bookmark and going to a website). Essentially anything that involves tapping and swiping (but not typing). If you have a different opinion though, we can just agree to disagree. :) 

That's fair.  Though part of me wishes lightsabers were real so we could agree to decide who's right the Jedi way.  ?